Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

That Works posted:

So my wife doesn't watch a ton of anime and I don't try to talk her into it but now and then she's asked to give something a go.

She's pretty particular about what she'll get into, so far some stuff that she's liked a ton has been:

The Disastrous Life of Saki-K
Way of the Househusband

Stuff she liked OK:

FMA Brotherhood
Wave: Listen to me

So, kinda the fast paced sillier side of stuff I guess? I can't say I have really watched a ton of that kind of thing so I don't know what really shines given that. I was thinking of Mob Psycho 100 and Komi Can't Communicate to see what she thought but looking for other stuff.

Kaguya Sama Love is War

or all-in on jojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Astro Fighter Sunred

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

chiasaur11 posted:

There was a lot. Including, but not limited to how Odokawa was able to ID people at a glance, which kept shocking people. If they were actually those animals, then "That's a gorilla" would make spotting someone in a crowd much easier.

And Odokawa was continually shown to be quick thinking and savvy, while most people just wrote him off since he's short, unambitious, and grouchy. There's nothing about him that says "smartest guy in the room" on the surface, and he pretended to go along with everyone jerking him around until he had a counterplay, so there was no clear warning sign until he had things in motion. (And even then, he screwed up and nearly got killed more than once.)

Good points but I just think poo poo like him video recording the ape guy with his phone out in the open without him noticing was dumb.

Also we don’t see what calico cat really looks like. I will admit I appreciated how the show didn’t bother to do “I LOVED YOU ALL ALONG!” with her, such a stupid trope. Idiot was dating someone less than half his age.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Good points but I just think poo poo like him video recording the ape guy with his phone out in the open without him noticing was dumb.

Also we don’t see what calico cat really looks like. I will admit I appreciated how the show didn’t bother to do “I LOVED YOU ALL ALONG!” with her, such a stupid trope. Idiot was dating someone less than half his age.

If this second bit is about the monkey guy it feels uncharitable to think the show would even consider that route. Feels like it goes out of its way to show the idol isn’t interested at all

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks posted:

he's not doing that though. he records the audio of his conversation with dobu and dobu almost gets suspicious about the questions he's asking, but he manages to dodge it by claiming his status as a third party to the operation means he needs more filling in to know what to do, which dobu buys since he's just a bit soft hearted enough that he's formed an odd sense of trust toward him on top of not seeing him as a potential threat. he takes a picture of dobu when his back is turned and conceals the sound by faking a sneeze. it's risky but he didn't show dobu his phone during either of those moments

the dialog throughout the show also is filled with hints towards the twist. a number of them are throwaway jokes, right off the bat when odokawa meets goriki he tells him he's the only gorilla he knows, and goriki pauses for a moment like he's wondering if it was meant as an insult towards his appearance.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 17, 2021

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

That Works posted:

So my wife doesn't watch a ton of anime and I don't try to talk her into it but now and then she's asked to give something a go.

She's pretty particular about what she'll get into, so far some stuff that she's liked a ton has been:

The Disastrous Life of Saki-K
Way of the Househusband

Stuff she liked OK:

FMA Brotherhood
Wave: Listen to me

So, kinda the fast paced sillier side of stuff I guess? I can't say I have really watched a ton of that kind of thing so I don't know what really shines given that. I was thinking of Mob Psycho 100 and Komi Can't Communicate to see what she thought but looking for other stuff.

Mob Psycho is a pretty solid bet, I think she'll like it. You could also go for Kaguya-sama: Love is War, which is light-hearted, silly, and doesn't linger too long on the dramas it does have. I'll also put in a plug for D-Frag; despite having an annoying OP song, the show itself is actually hilarious. I don't know whether your wife prefers dubs to subs, but D-Frag's dub was surprisingly great.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

fondly remembering all the shots in jrpgs where they try to portray a war by having five guys autoattack each other in a field.

everything should just look like the end of an era battle of cartenau cg imo

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Erg posted:

If this second bit is about the monkey guy it feels uncharitable to think the show would even consider that route. Feels like it goes out of its way to show the idol isn’t interested at all

You seem to misunderstand. I'm giving gloating praise to the show for going the route that they did. It's such a stupid trope. This girl who is half my age, looks like a model, and has displayed no real personality really loved me the entire time! So stupid, and yet it's seen in media time, and time, and time again.

The Colonel posted:

he's not doing that though. he records the audio of his conversation with dobu and dobu almost gets suspicious about the questions he's asking, but he manages to dodge it by claiming his status as a third party to the operation means he needs more filling in to know what to do, which dobu buys since he's just a bit soft hearted enough that he's formed an odd sense of trust toward him on top of not seeing him as a potential threat. he takes a picture of dobu when his back is turned and conceals the sound by faking a sneeze. it's risky but he didn't show dobu his phone during either of those moments

the dialog throughout the show also is filled with hints towards the twist. a number of them are throwaway jokes, right off the bat when odokawa meets goriki he tells him he's the only gorilla he knows, and goriki pauses for a moment like he's wondering if it was meant as an insult towards his appearance.

Good points.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thought that was great. Sneezing over the camera noise while pointing it right at him and getting away with it? King poo poo.

If I have any problems w ODDTAXI, it's the ending. Not that part. In a vacuum, THAT was great. But I don't wanna effortpost so it basically amounts to LET MY MANS THINK HES A WALRUS IF THATS WHAT HE WANTS. It came in so handy, all the time. Everybody loved him even if he was a lovely lil grump, why did he need to be fixed/changed? It's so dumb.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pootybutt posted:

Thought that was great. Sneezing over the camera noise while pointing it right at him and getting away with it? King poo poo.

If I have any problems w ODDTAXI, it's the ending. Not that part. In a vacuum, THAT was great. But I don't wanna effortpost so it basically amounts to LET MY MANS THINK HES A WALRUS IF THATS WHAT HE WANTS. It came in so handy, all the time. Everybody loved him even if he was a lovely lil grump, why did he need to be fixed/changed? It's so dumb.

Wasn't all good for him; He couldn't tell the difference between an actual cat and a human girl.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't all good for him; He couldn't tell the difference between an actual cat and a human girl.

Also major sleeping difficulties. Those sucked.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
his arc literally doesn't make sense without what happens. the point of the ending is him growing past his childhood traumas and insecurities

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 18, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait wait wait...what the gently caress was going on with that cat then? Did he think he had some "human" pet?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wait wait wait...what the gently caress was going on with that cat then? Did he think he had some "human" pet?

Well, there was a missing girl who he saw as a black cat. And then a black cat showed up at his house.

He basically didn't know if he had a stray animal, or if he'd kidnapped a person, or what. It's why he was so nervous about people finding something in his house, and why it was such a moment of relief for him to confirm that, no. It was just a cat.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You all should continue this very spoiler heavy discussion in the odd taxi thread or something, not the general rec thread

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The Colonel posted:

his arc literally doesn't make sense without what happens. the point of the ending is him growing past his childhood traumas and insecurities

He doesnt have an arc, bro. He's oddly enough the most put together and socially capable of anybody in the cast save Goriki I guess, He's not a social invalid. Just a grump. Playing yakuza AND cops. Makin plans. He formed relationships fine, and like I said, everybody loved him. Whatever thread the story was trying to weave thematically Odo at the center failed to thread the needle because it's Odo. It's something that makes sense for someone w social anxiety or something, but that doesn't describe him at all in my book.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 18, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Strange Quark posted:

You all should continue this very spoiler heavy discussion in the odd taxi thread or something, not the general rec thread

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

If my only exposure to Lupin III is The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and I loved it to death, where else should I go from there to appreciate the franchise? I understand that has a more arthouse-y tone compared to its legacy, but I still enjoyed the art, music, and how the characters were interpreted within that framework.

I'm also down for suggestions for non-Lupin works like Fujiko Mine, cause I greatly enjoyed it. I'm already a gigantic Utena stan however.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

If my only exposure to Lupin III is The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and I loved it to death, where else should I go from there to appreciate the franchise? I understand that has a more arthouse-y tone compared to its legacy, but I still enjoyed the art, music, and how the characters were interpreted within that framework.

Well, the obvious next step would be the followup films that kept the same style, Jigen's Gravestone, Goemon's Blood Spray, and Fujiko's Lie. No Mari Okada, but they have the same director and character designs, and keep the same tone. Once you're done with those, it depends on what you're looking for in general. Part VI is the current series, and you can drop in mostly fresh, but I've been mostly disappointed with it so far.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they kept the Koike designs and some other flourishes from TWCFM for a series of movies (Jigen's Gravestone, Goemon's Bloodspray, and Fujiko's Lie), so those are worth checking out. i also enjoyed Lupin III Part 1 as my follow up series, it's a manageable length compared to the other classic ones while not having some of the pitfalls (badly executed serialization) of the other 20ish ep modern series. ultimately i did still enjoy the presence of Rebecca, the added character for Part 4, and it still had plenty of fun one-offs despite the overarching DaVinci stuff being a disappointment to me. so maybe Part 4 as a third string option?

for similar vibes, I've been recommended but have not started 009-1, another female spy series that similarly draws its retro vibe from an original 60s manga.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

All right, I'll start with the movies. Even if they don't have the #ThematicDensity of TWCFM, the art style and staging is still ridiculously gorgeous, so I can enjoy them on that basis alone.

I'll check out 009-1! One of my favorite parts of Fujiko Mine--which I think is inherited from the source material of Luppin III--is that 70s/80s aesthetic and writing sensibility. There's something about franchises from that era that really rev my engine, so I'm happy to explore more. Thank you for the help!

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I would second watching Part 4, it's not exactly like Fujiko Mine but is a very good season of modern Lupin. The later seasons unfortunately are a step down from it. The earlier seasons... well, the differences are significant, but it can be pretty interesting to see how the series has evolved from that time.

There are also many standalone movies and OVAs (aside from the three related to Fujiko Mine), some of which are pretty good. There was a list posted here in the past, but I could probably come up with some of the better ones if wanted.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lupin III is easy to jump into anywhere. There's no continuity, the characters are very transparent, and the style is quite variable. Pick a random episode of anything, and if you don't like what you just watched, try something else where he's wearing a different color jacket or came out in a different decade, and you'll eventually find your favorite.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

If you watch any old Lupin be aware the quality and tone varies wildly between series and episodes and there's a LOT of old Lupin. Just based off the couple of older episodes I remember watching outside of like, Toonami, Wings of Death: Albatross is a real fun and well animated part 2 episode directed by Hayao Miyazaki which is fun, and there's Lupin Becomes a Vampire which is pretty self explanatory. They're both a LOT lighter in tone but good if you're ever curious about what the rest is like. Especially the vampire one which is not exactly a GOOD episode but it's goofy enough to be pretty entertaining.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blue Labrador posted:

I'm also down for suggestions for non-Lupin works like Fujiko Mine, cause I greatly enjoyed it. I'm already a gigantic Utena stan however.

As far as stuff that's more in line with The Woman Called Fujiko Mine: The Koike-directed movies that have already been mentioned and Part 1 are good as a followup watch (Fujiko Mine explicitly sets itself up so that it all could take place before Part 1. Not that continuity matters at all but while they're pretty different shows there's that influence going on).

As far as general Lupin recs go, for the older stuff Castle of Cagliostro is the classic obligatory mention. Mystery of Mamo is a very maniacal movie that's not afraid to get really out there. Parts 1 and 3 are very consistently good throughout; Part 2 is the iconic series but because it ran for so long and so many people were involved with it the quality can be all over the place. The tv movies mostly range from mediocre to poor but Episode 0: First Contact and In Memory of the Walther P38/Island of Assassins are two of the scant few standouts.

Far as modern stuff goes, Lupin the First is a CG movie that actually looks great. The plot itself is pretty standard Lupin fare but it's executed well enough. Part 4 was pretty solid even if the overarching story was a bit of a wet fart. I know a lot of folks like Part 5 but to me its excessive serialization (to the point where every arc felt like watching a movie in 20 minute chunks!) was everything I actively do not want out of a Lupin series. Part 6 has been pretty good so far so you could just hop in on that too; if nothing else I appreciate the fact that Oshii got to write a few episodes and they're the best episodes in the season by far.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I'm looking for something wholesome and easygoing to watch/read as a pick-me-up. Doesn't necessarily have to be slice-of-life, but I don't want to worry about magic bullshit rules or Big Bad arcs.
I liked Nozaki-kun (every character being a massive loving idiot is a big plus in my book) and Komi can't communicate well enough, but I'd really prefer a show that's not set in high school.
Oddly enough, I'd say Dorohedoro had a pretty close vibe to what I'm looking for, turbomurder and all.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SexyBlindfold posted:

I'm looking for something wholesome and easygoing to watch/read as a pick-me-up. Doesn't necessarily have to be slice-of-life, but I don't want to worry about magic bullshit rules or Big Bad arcs.
I liked Nozaki-kun (every character being a massive loving idiot is a big plus in my book) and Komi can't communicate well enough, but I'd really prefer a show that's not set in high school.
Oddly enough, I'd say Dorohedoro had a pretty close vibe to what I'm looking for, turbomurder and all.

Wotakoi would seem like a good pick then as it is mostly about four office workers interacting/hanging out and figuring out the balance between work life and their nerdy interests.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai?

Good show, but it has a high school setting, so it might not be a perfect fit for the request.

Similarly, Chainsaw Man has a similar vibe to Dorohedoro, but it is in Shonen Jump, and even if it does unconventional things with its big villains, it still has major villains to worry about. (Also, you know. Lots of death.) It does have relatively simple fight mechanics and lovable idiot characters, though, so... maybe.

Patlabor? It's a comedy about police mechs in Japan. The films are more in-depth, but the show is lighter in tone, and generally pretty easygoing.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My favorite anime is Golden Kamuy so I'm just gonna say watch that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

maybe check out moribito? do be aware it is pretty slow paced

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I don't know if I'm just late to the party, but I saw the Grand Blue Live Action movie and thought it was great. The story is a directionless clusterfuck and the characters "feel" different than the manga, but it's got plenty of humor and plays out like a humorous series of skits. My wife thought it was good too, and she knows nothing about it (nor does she like diving, so the theme wasn't even there). The Vamos bit was just fantastic

Why was it so universally disliked by nerds? It is just BUT MY WAIFU reasons or do I just have trash taste in live action

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is it universally disliked? i googled it and every thread about it i saw seemed fairly positive and basically said the same thing you said. 'the plot is directionless and they didnt do a good job adapting the actual story at all but the comedy's executed well.' even the ones that are negative say basically the same thing. it seems like reasonable criticism and it mostly just comes down to how much that matters to you.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Yeah, I understand that it didn't exactly have a plot through-line and there wasn't like a strong central conflict or 3-act structure or protagonists journey or whatever, but to me, the comedy carried that thing hard, as if it's just a set of (funny) unrelated skits put into a movie. Was just the lack of a plot progression what gave it such poor reception?

It was definitely one of (the?) best live action adaptations I've seen.

Maybe it was just disliked by the Rotten Tomatoes crowd that's used to watching.. Free Guy or something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The original manga/anime has more of a plot progression, the movie literally just took random scenes from the first half of the series and put them together with no plot throughline whatsoever. So again, it's reasonable to criticize it for that even if it executes the comedy well. And it doesn't seem like, universally hated or anything.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I'm sick at home with COVID and I'm feeling nostalgic. When I was a kid my stepdad used to import anime for us to watch so I'm in the mood for an anime movie, preferably from the 80's, preferably a classic, regardless of genre. Only rule is no sexual assault and no weird sex stuff. I don't want to start watching Vampire Hunter D and all of a sudden be like "Oh yeah I forgot about that horrible rape scene". No need to list Miyazaki films as I've already watched them all to death, but other than that I'm open to whatever. Thanks in advance.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SoR Blaze posted:

I'm sick at home with COVID and I'm feeling nostalgic. When I was a kid my stepdad used to import anime for us to watch so I'm in the mood for an anime movie, preferably from the 80's, preferably a classic, regardless of genre. Only rule is no sexual assault and no weird sex stuff. I don't want to start watching Vampire Hunter D and all of a sudden be like "Oh yeah I forgot about that horrible rape scene". No need to list Miyazaki films as I've already watched them all to death, but other than that I'm open to whatever. Thanks in advance.

Just off the top of my head for non-Miyazaki 80s movies that are good as hell:

Angel's Egg
Grave of the Fireflies (unless you meant non-Ghibli in general)
Dirty Pair: Project Eden
Penguin's Memory (not widely considered a classic since it's obscure but in a just world it would be)
Arcadia of My Youth
Both Galaxy Express 999 movies
The first two Urusei Yatsura movies (and the 4th one if you are feeling bold)

I'm sure there's a bunch I'm missing but that's a fair amount already!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SoR Blaze posted:

For something barely anyone in the west has watched, check out the Nine trilogy, an adaptation of the Adachi manga of the same name.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

SoR Blaze posted:

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Speed Racer

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SoR Blaze posted:

Watch Lily C.A.T. for a sci-fi horror film that unashamedly rips off Alien's aesthetic. It's legit a good watch.