Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Breetai posted:

Gameplay wise, Duke 3D is better than Doom.

the babes are also better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Vic posted:

Videogames art

you dropped a letter there!

Videogameshart

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

no_tears posted:

Halo is overrated

I think Halo's reputation is in the toilet.

This doesn't mean that you're incorrect.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rutibex posted:

debatable

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Cyber demon has a sweet rear end

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Neco posted:

you dropped a letter there!

Videogameshart

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rutibex posted:

Remember the duke nukem titty alien pillar things?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Something that occurred to me as I was turning off motion blur as I do on all games when I first start them, why is it there?

Is there literally a single person on the planet who likes motion blur?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Breetai posted:

Gameplay wise, Duke 3D is better than Doom.

Thank you

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

Something that occurred to me as I was turning off motion blur as I do on all games when I first start them, why is it there?

It's always an immediate switch off for me.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah motion blur and bloom always get turned off

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rutibex posted:

Someone doesn't believe the mancubus is the epitome of sexiness.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flavor.flv posted:

There are people who for some ungodly reason like it because it makes the experience more "cinematic", disregard the fact you're not watching a movie you're trying to aim something and now your already lovely blurry monitor has a huge blurry mess making it impossible for you to accurately aim poo poo. I don't think there's a lot of those people but they are very vocal whenever this is brought up in tech forums. My eyes are already poo poo I don't need my GPU's fill rate to be making it shittier.

The moment we created per-pixel velocity buffers we should have tossed them into the fire, burned and prayed God forgave us for our sins.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Funny thing I corrected a line in DX11's standard implementation of Depth of Field, not because I like DoF but because I loving hate it, so to make life easier on my eyes in the future whenever a myriad of games implemented that garbage I submitted a fix that more accurately prevented the blending of background with foreground blur (you know, then the person in the foreground is color bleeding into the blurry background). Last time I checked a game's shaders that was still the default implementation being used. I still disable it anyway if I can.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I'm OK with subtle motion blur, but depth of field can gently caress all the way off.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
the Valhiem devs are lucky the default depth of field setting didn't kill of people from playing the game, it's that atrocious.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Also gaming peaked in 1996 with TIE Fighter and it’s all been downhill ever since.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That's true. And let's be honest, TIE Fighter was only an alright game

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

But Deus Ex was a 2000 release :ohdear:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cracker King posted:

No More Heroes 1 had you saving while sitting on a toilet. Did that continue in the other games?

It's a series staple. Except for Shinobu, who saves by showering, because anime.

Distinct save locations are fun. Reminds me of GTA2, where the save locations are churches. (Jesus Saves!)

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think if I think about the game that gave me the most joy and I got the most content out of it'd be Smackdown Here Comes The Pain.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I think if I think about the game that gave me the most joy and I got the most content out of it'd be Smackdown Here Comes The Pain.

Here Comes The Pain was loving great.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
All you privileged PC gamers with your fancy schmancy ability to just turn off motion blur and bloom and such. Us console peasants sometimes get the option to turn off motion blur if we’re lucky. The most advanced game my decade+ laptop can run is Morrowind and it still chugs and glows white hot from it. And thanks to crypto patsy’s stealing all the computers I’m never going to get replacement.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

galagazombie posted:

All you privileged PC gamers with your fancy schmancy ability to just turn off motion blur and bloom and such. Us console peasants sometimes get the option to turn off motion blur if we’re lucky. The most advanced game my decade+ laptop can run is Morrowind and it still chugs and glows white hot from it. And thanks to crypto patsy’s stealing all the computers I’m never going to get replacement.

Good rear end point.

If you could just re-read the post in John Cleese's voice.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

poverty goat posted:

the one thing bethesda gets right in their fallout games is the bathrooms

Counterpoint:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint:

I just checked and not only is there a mod to fix this (of course) but there's also an inane interview with the person who created the mod https://www.vice.com/en/article/533g75/a-qanda-with-the-creator-of-a-fallout-4-mod-that-flips-the-toilet-paper-around

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint:

The Institute are chaotic villains, checks out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

flavor.flv posted:

I don't know if I'd use the word "like" but I am fine with it and turning it off makes me a bit nauseous sometimes so I generally leave it on.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Bargearse posted:

I'm OK with subtle motion blur, but depth of field can gently caress all the way off.

The obsession with shallow depth of field has spread everywhere. Even TV news reports are now shot on 50mm primes, with the reporter standing in focus and whatever they’re reporting on a blurred mess even though it’s only 10 metres behind them

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bum the Sad posted:

Cyber demon has a sweet rear end

This is the unpopular opinions thread, not the acknowledged facts thread.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

the free egs version of neon abyss having a run ending bug in it (pick up the wrong item) is funny
that they sold the game for however long with the same run ending bug is some bullshit though

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Relevant Tangent posted:

the free egs version of neon abyss having a run ending bug in it (pick up the wrong item) is funny
that they sold the game for however long with the same run ending bug is some bullshit though

What's the bug??

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint:

Not sure I see the problem here.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Armor has never made a game more fun.
Hey, want to fight this cool monster? Fight this number first.
Want to live a little longer? Here, have a number. It's like a shirt made of mathematics
Wow, this chestplate increases my armor value from 260 to 274, I will surely enjoy this

Just give me more hitpoints

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint:

I just set the roll on the back of the toilet tank. Livin' drama free!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Icochet posted:

Want to live a little longer? Here, have a number. It's like a shirt made of mathematics
Wow, this chestplate increases my armor value from 260 to 274, I will surely enjoy this

That's the same thing ain't it.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Icochet posted:

I disagree because armor is just more hit points, but I can respect this one.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Vic posted:

That's the same thing ain't it.

You know that feeling when you're at an airport tax-free shop figuring out if you can afford a bottle of rum and some chocolates when you're holding $8,35, €5,20 and £3,50+1/3 shillings? Is it exactly the same as when you're in your local liqueur store?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

chainchompz posted:

I disagree because armor is just more hit points, but I can respect this one.

Sometimes armor is a second blue/yellow colored hp bar.
Sometimes it's just a vague unnnoticeable % damage reduction thing though.

Woo I found a new helmet with +4 armor! Now when an enemy hits me for 100 damage I'll lose 70.6 hp instead of 71.2!!! This is the best!!!

Incremental tiny stat increases suck in general though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Icochet posted:

Dark Souls armor makes you harder to stagger at the cost of making you roll slower, I think that's a great approach. There's also some damage reduction but it's pretty minor compared to the benefit of poise

But the true purpose of armor is to play dress-up.