Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Last night I thought "Heh, imagine if the Tom thing was a red herring, and it was Connor that ratted the other three siblings out to Logan."

(It's not and he didn't.)

DogsInSpace! posted:

New watcher that has been binging because of all the hype. Few more episodes till im caught up. Loving the show but so irritated I spaced and forgot something. It was a term they used to describe the people that died on the boats. It haunted me for like days but then one day I woke up and just forgot. Was going to research the term itself to see if people really used it. I've lived near a giant rich people getaway/tourist trap quite a few years now so this show really hits hard sometimes. I've even done gigs like that poor server that got stoned, killed and forgotten.

A little bit of poking around on Google shows that it's not a real term...yet.

:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

The most unrealistic thing this show ever did was a President quitting because he had a brain that was no good

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guze posted:

The most unrealistic thing this show ever did was a President quitting because he had a brain that was no good

Remember the bit in House of Cards where the president was pressured into resigning because he took medication?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Guze posted:

Yeah that's not what happened, a president decided not to run for re-election because Fox News turned against them.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Yeah I thought it was more like he had a minor, manageable issue that Logan decided to blow up and spin so that the media and thus the public decided he was unfit for office

Still kinda lol in this day and age but I suppose succession doesn't exactly take place in the real world

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

ATN started saying he was losing it and he turned out to have some neurological issue.

Then they supported a Nazi to which is pretty accurate

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I did find the presidential plotlines this season a bit tiring, wading into the same mire that a dozen other dramas have. It almost seems like a step down for the Roys that they're direct kingmakers instead of running the circus at arms length and letting every candidate dance for attention.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

no real person involved

Read After Burning posted:

A little bit of poking around on Google shows that it's not a real term...yet.

:patriot:
Thanks guys. God that is terrible and I was worried it was a real thing they put on forms. Thank you for recommending the show as well. I am HOOKED and it's been a ride. Gonna try and finish it tonight as I must know how Season 3 ends.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I’d savor it in case we have to wait another two years to get season 4.

ratcreeps
Jul 13, 2017

DogsInSpace! posted:

Thanks guys. God that is terrible and I was worried it was a real thing they put on forms. Thank you for recommending the show as well. I am HOOKED and it's been a ride. Gonna try and finish it tonight as I must know how Season 3 ends.

think this might be a reference to the LAPD unofficially designating the murders of prostitutes, drug addicts etc as "N.H.I." (no human involved)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ratcreeps posted:

think this might be a reference to the LAPD unofficially designating the murders of prostitutes, drug addicts etc as "N.H.I." (no human involved)

Jesus christ :negative:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I just realized today that Roman makes several mentions of “oh it’s just business” throughout the season, and then in the big finale when he begs Gerri for help he basically gets it right back. I thought that was an interesting little thread they pulled on.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sein-session

https://youtu.be/kAZdzdWcEUA

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

This is phenomenal. I'm so glad I haven't closed this tab yet. Thank you.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Smeef posted:

Aside from Tom’s Nero references and Roman’s name, have there been other obvious Roman history references?

I can’t recall any about Rome, but I think the writers get a little too cute with Kendall’s history references. In the season finale’s sibling van ride he both warned Roman about “getting Romanoved” and compared their ATN-assisted coup plan to taking out Mussolini and heading to the radio stations. Earlier in the season he referred to he and his siblings carving up the company’s assets like they were the Diadochi. Kendall doesn’t strike me as someone who paid that much attention in school.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Dinosaurs! posted:

I can’t recall any about Rome, but I think the writers get a little too cute with Kendall’s history references. In the season finale’s sibling van ride he both warned Roman about “getting Romanoved” and compared their ATN-assisted coup plan to taking out Mussolini and heading to the radio stations. Earlier in the season he referred to he and his siblings carving up the company’s assets like they were the Diadochi. Kendall doesn’t strike me as someone who paid that much attention in school.

But he may have been the kind of guy who would put his kids to bed and do coke and like read wikipedia pages to have impressive things to say

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Twigand Berries posted:

But he may have been the kind of guy who would put his kids to bed and do coke off their iPad and like read wikipedia pages to have impressive things to say

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
The history references feel like a Jesse Armstrong Peep Show carryover. Very strong "Mark comparing things to Stalingrad" vibes.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

ken probably had tutors out the wazoo and got straight As, but yeah i doubt he really took any of it to heart. he definitely seems like the kind of guy who would obsessively read some book specifically about powerful leaders, as a vanity thing to internalize. crazy rich people love to get obsessed with like, pharaohs and emperors and dictators and poo poo because they see themselves in that same vein of grandiosity

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

like ken can't quote plato but he can sure quote marcus aurelius

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I presume it's taken from every conservative politician and many heads of major companies loving to quote history. Boris Johnson, and so on.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"War. War never changes." - Kendall, probably.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Kendall's all about that sigma grindset.

Gibbon
Feb 22, 2004
chang chang!

10 internet points
I love the bit in the succession opening near the end with the hands for some reason, and I'm so happy they found a Seinfeld equivalent

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

ghostwritingduck posted:

The easiest explanation is Tom introduced Rex as a proposed solution when he introduced the problem to Logan. At this point, it strongly suggests Tom did more than simply tip off Logan. We don’t know the details, but it doesn’t make sense for a fictional show to include the scene of Tom to have a secret call will a lawyer and then have that same lawyer named at the end if there’s not a connection.

A lot of people (not just you) seem to be overthinking this.

Tom wouldn't have needed to propose a solution. Shiv tells Tom they have the veto of change control from the divorce, Tom tells that to Logan.

Logan is already dealing with Caroline's lawyer, because she wanted the divorce agreement opened because Peter "loves the Eaton Square flat"

When she's on the phone at the end, she talks about how excited Peter was.

She trades the kid's change of control for the British house.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

i think my favorite characters right now are frank and karl, with hugo a distant third because he hasn't had much screentime in season 3

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Doctor Jeep posted:

i think my favorite characters right now are frank and karl, with hugo a distant third because he hasn't had much screentime in season 3

Fisher Stevens has a small head, small neck, or both. He doesn't look well, but maybe I'm just totally off. I hope so :ohdear:

Also, I didn't even realize that the Peep Show guy was the creator/showrunner of this show. My wife and I met because of Peep Show.

Back when Google+ was a thing, a mutual goon friend posted some black and white illustration of the Ninja Turtles out in the dead of winter, wearing Russian-styled jackets and hats. I made some comment about how Bebop and Rocksteady never knew what it was like to face the situation in Stalingrad.

She liked it, also being a fan of Peep Show, we ended up chatting, and now we've been married for 8 years, have two kids, and just binged all 3 seasons of Succession in about as many weeks.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 18, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Fisher Stevens has a small head, small neck, or both. He doesn't look well, but maybe I'm just totally off. I hope so :ohdear:

This is what I think every time he's on screen. Bobblehead man.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

He’s always looked like that

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Me and my parents have been binging the show while I am over on holiday. We just finished S1 and my mom even had trouble sleeping due to feeling so sorry for Kendall.

Kinda says a lot about her.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Shrimpy posted:

A lot of people (not just you) seem to be overthinking this.

Tom wouldn't have needed to propose a solution. Shiv tells Tom they have the veto of change control from the divorce, Tom tells that to Logan.

Logan is already dealing with Caroline's lawyer, because she wanted the divorce agreement opened because Peter "loves the Eaton Square flat"

When she's on the phone at the end, she talks about how excited Peter was.

She trades the kid's change of control for the British house.

Imagine this as a show runner. Early in the season, you have this scene that was written, shot, and included in the final edit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLywe24DJxU

Then in the final scene of the season you have Caroline name the same lawyer that Tom had begun working with, followed by Tom walking in, being warmly greeted by Logan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0mEtTB5gDE

Do you think the writers really like the name Rex Hendon and/or couldn’t think up any other lawyer names? If Tom and Caroline using the same lawyer is just a coincidence, what purpose does it serve for this work of fiction? Maybe we’ll find out a purpose for a coincidence later, but at this time it’s perfectly reasonable to theorize a connection, especially when the theory that Tom is meddling is already supported by what is shown.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

ghostwritingduck posted:

Do you think the writers really like the name Rex Hendon and/or couldn’t think up any other lawyer names? If Tom and Caroline using the same lawyer is just a coincidence, what purpose does it serve for this work of fiction? Maybe we’ll find out a purpose for a coincidence later, but at this time it’s perfectly reasonable to theorize a connection, especially when the theory that Tom is meddling is already supported by what is shown.
It's to reveal in the episode where he betrays his wife that the lawyer he contacted earlier was a divorce lawyer, not something related to the fed probe.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Dante posted:

It's to reveal in the episode where he betrays his wife that the lawyer he contacted earlier was a divorce lawyer, not something related to the fed probe.

That makes sense. I still like the idea of us seeing a guest star celebrity Rex at some point, mostly because every guest star has been wonderful.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

I picture Ian Mcshane.

I’d totally be down for this, but I would insist that Logan call him a “cocksucker” to which he tells Logan to “go on and gently caress off”.

It’ll be like poetry!

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Dante posted:

this makes sense to me from a character perspective but it makes the earlier scene with tom suddenly much more confusing: why was that what prompted him to call a divorce lawyer? i mean aside from the fact he just received more sincere gratitude from logan than shiv has ever shown him in the course of the show

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Valentin posted:

this makes sense to me from a character perspective but it makes the earlier scene with tom suddenly much more confusing: why was that what prompted him to call a divorce lawyer? i mean aside from the fact he just received more sincere gratitude from logan than shiv has ever shown him in the course of the show

I think maybe seeing that he's in with Logan means he doesn't need to take Shiv's poo poo anymore

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Also, I didn't even realize that the Peep Show guy was the creator/showrunner of this show. My wife and I met because of Peep Show.

Back when Google+ was a thing, a mutual goon friend posted some black and white illustration of the Ninja Turtles out in the dead of winter, wearing Russian-styled jackets and hats. I made some comment about how Bebop and Rocksteady never knew what it was like to face the situation in Stalingrad.

She liked it, also being a fan of Peep Show, we ended up chatting, and now we've been married for 8 years, have two kids, and just binged all 3 seasons of Succession in about as many weeks.

That's heartwarming as hell 😊

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

packetmantis posted:

This is what I think every time he's on screen. Bobblehead man.
Is he not turtley enough for the Turtle Club?

Edit: Something that had bothered me for a bit and I finally went back to watch it was that the start of episode 9 had Gerri mention something about the DoJ. They apparently "found something historic" before the real meat of the episode, GoJo's acquisition, took over. This got me thinking again about how every episode has a dozen plot threads and only 1 to 3 of them actually lead anywhere. I layer this on top of the thought about the fact that this show must be expensive to make because of all the expensive-looking activities taking place. I come to the conclusion that maybe the reason for all the various extra threads is because the show runner is actually building the TV show out of puzzle pieces. They film at this expensive location during this expensive party, they get tons of unnecessary plot thread dialog just in case they want to build those threads at a later time to form the complete picture, and what you get is a finished puzzle with 50 extra pieces laying on the floor. This seems like a terrible way to make a show and I'm probably 100% wrong but this really makes me all the more curious about how this show gets made.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 18, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

DaveKap posted:

Is he not turtley enough for the Turtle Club?

Edit: Something that had bothered me for a bit and I finally went back to watch it was that the start of episode 9 had Gerri mention something about the DoJ. They apparently "found something historic" before the real meat of the episode, GoJo's acquisition, took over. This got me thinking again about how every episode has a dozen plot threads and only 1 to 3 of them actually lead anywhere. I layer this on top of the thought about the fact that this show must be expensive to make because of all the expensive-looking activities taking place. I come to the conclusion that maybe the reason for all the various extra threads is because the show runner is actually building the TV show out of puzzle pieces. They film at this expensive location during this expensive party, they get tons of unnecessary plot thread dialog just in case they want to build those threads at a later time to form the complete picture, and what you get is a finished puzzle with 50 extra pieces laying on the floor. This seems like a terrible way to make a show and I'm probably 100% wrong but this really makes me all the more curious about how this show gets made.

I think the writers might just be tossing out little threads to mess with people like me that think they can figure out where a show is going based off empirical evidence. I've been wrong, ooooooh I'd say 99% of the time with this show. Not that I'm very good at it in general, but with typical shows you can kinda see the formula they're using and draw conclusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Valentin posted:

the initial call to the lawyer happens after he suggests to his wife he can save her father by going to prison, and she's ok with it. The setup all season has been Shiv doesn't really care about Tom. When she makes plan for the firm she hasn't thought about his place in it, the baby stuff, literally saying she doesn't love him etc. Basically that he's dependent on her and her lackey. Tom's role has been consistently fairly loyal to his wife's machinations, leaking stuff from meetings Logan to her when advantageous to further her position. Arguing for her to become CEO etc. Now he's "flipped", but it's not to the feds, it's to Logan.

Dante fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 18, 2021