Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Orv posted:

As for the closed backs Dan Clark and Focal were my two front-runners from what I had seen, with maybe LCD-XC on the side, though the weight of Audeze stuff I'm iffy on. I've also seen a chunk of people complaining about the QC/build on Focals but I don't know if that's legit or just the age old problem of people treating their stuff like poo poo and throwing it around.

I would wait on the Audeze, they've been trying to make their poo poo lighter for years without compromising too much and the lcd-5 is the first time they've gotten it right. hopefully it'll trickle down to the products normal people can actually buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So I got the KZ ZEX Pro finally delivered today and my early impressions are they're a lot more balanced (by KZ standards) but because of that aren't as fun as the hyper-V sound of the regular ZEX. The stock tips are way better though so I can actually use them outside. Still pretty good though, even if they're going to end up in no man's land in my hoard since they're not distinctive enough to be a fun option and not as good as the Aria's, though they get pleasingly close for being half the price. Also I think the ZEX's (left) look better too with that little wavy bit.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I would wait on the Audeze, they've been trying to make their poo poo lighter for years without compromising too much and the lcd-5 is the first time they've gotten it right. hopefully it'll trickle down to the products normal people can actually buy.

It's only ten dollars per gram, that's a steal!

Yeah that's probably a good call.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Hey looking for some recs for the office/daily use.

- over-ear headphones
- wireless/bluetooth
- iPhone/macbook pro
- under $300 US but willing to go over if it's reallllly worth it
- decent mic (does not need office noise suppression or whatever bc the meetings app we use does it just fine)

I take a super noisy train to work and fly a lot and would like some sort of noise cancelling/mitigation or pass-through so I can actually hear the music I'm playing. I like how my airpod pros does transparency but I find in-ear headphones really uncomfortable for long periods of time.

Bonus points if it doesn't immediately die while I'm waiting outside for the train in the cold weather but I know that's asking a lot.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well I ordered the Earfun Pro Free 2 w/ Olav tunings for a nice TWS. I will report back.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

Well I ordered the Earfun Pro Free 2 w/ Olav tunings for a nice TWS. I will report back.

gently caress THIS IEM. Olav is deaf and im highly upset. Might as well throw 80 bux in the trashcan.

They remind me of 8 year old KZ sets with a better tuning but the driver is literally 0.50c. Nothing can save them, not even his german accent.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 17, 2021

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

gently caress THIS IEM. Olav is deaf and im highly upset. Might as well throw 80 bux in the trashcan.

They remind me of 8 year old KZ sets with a better tuning but the driver is literally 0.50c. Nothing can save them, not even his german accent.

That lines up with my experience with a previous model of that set, but was released under a different brand name (FIIL T1XS - the shells and rubber wings look basically the same). The timbre and tuning was actually pretty good, but it had fairly abysmal technical performance. I kind of didn't mind the limitations at first, the real dealbreaker is that only foam tips would work for me with that set, any silicone tips would have this weird oversealed "suction" effect. Yet no foam tips that worked would actually fit in the charging case.

I just ordered the JBL Club Pro TWS, it's normally $200 but is available right now for $80. It's supposed to be pretty good, follows the Harman curve with it's base tuning (JBL is owned by Samsung, same as Harman/AKG/etc.) and is supposed to EQ pretty well if you want to tweak it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah im kinda salty about the whole thing. Went and bought his custom tunings and like.. @_@ . Lets just say Etymotic which he loved and got me into sound a lot better.

I also got the AKG N400. On sale for $50 bux.. they are okay at best. I don't like the tonality much, just kinda bright and overbearing. At 150? GTFO. fail

The only TWS I'd like to hear is the Tanchjim Echo. I adore Tanya for $20 bux so im sure they can do something not-poo poo.. right?

Passburger
May 4, 2013
So I got a pair of nero tx pros for cheap, and while reading a bit on their homepage I stumbled upon this:

It sounded very strange given the limits of the AAC and SBC codec.

Then I went and sent them an e-mail asking what did they mean by that exactly, this was the response:

"Nero-TX PRO can hardware-wise support receiving maximum data information which is 24 bit 96 khz.
AAC as codec is available in different versions and can handle a maximum of 24 48 khz (which means that the hardware can handle more data information than software, which means that the hardware has no losses in the software) Since Nero-TX PRO is able to handle a lot of data information,
it's future-proof when the bluetooth standard is given access/updated to a new codec version that allows 24 bits 96 khz."

Sounds like bullshit to me, or at least highly unlikely, any thoughts?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Utter BS. It wouldn't matter either way however, that high sample rate isn't going to make anything better even if it did actually accept the bits.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

After doing a bunch of research, I ended up getting HD 6xx. Been enjoying it so far and I'm fine with the sound straight from the laptop or the apple dongle connected with my phone, but when plugged into my sound card, while it's not rigorous blind testing, it does seem to sound "fuller" at the same volume. So, I think I'm wanting an amp for it at least, and maybe later a DAC. I don't mind running a 3.5mm to RCA for the amp for now.

Would a basic Schitt heresy/magni 3+ be fine or would there be a noticeable sound improvement if I went with one of the $200-250 options? I've read that 6xx gets more out of more powerful amps, but it seems like there should be an upper limit to that. And from my understanding, the main features of more expensive amps/DACs are more input/output options.

edit: Also should add that while I might look into getting other headphones later that have wider soundstage and better imaging, as many criticize the 6xx for lacking, it seems like unless I'm getting specific headphones the Schitt stack should still be fine for pretty much anything I use. It's hard to tell sometimes if there's an actual audio improvement or placebo when it comes to people talking about needing more expensive DAC/Amps for their HD 800S as well

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 18, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Look into the JDS Labs Atom amp/dac as well. Stellar product and great customer service.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

trem_two posted:

I just ordered the JBL Club Pro TWS, it's normally $200 but is available right now for $80. It's supposed to be pretty good, follows the Harman curve with it's base tuning (JBL is owned by Samsung, same as Harman/AKG/etc.) and is supposed to EQ pretty well if you want to tweak it.

Well, these are nothing special, even at the $80 price point. They are comfortable and the noise canceling is decent. They’re just not particularly good on a technical level, and the charging case is incredibly stupid in its design. Yet another one where no aftermarket tips will fit into the case, plus the absurdity of a rounded bottom to the case, so you can’t even stand it upright on a flat surface.

Probably going to send them back.

E: well the left earbud won't take a charge anyways, so they'd be going back regardless.

trem_two fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 19, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
My in ear, corded Bose with the noise cancelling I love so dearly are on their death bed. Cable is kinked, the battery on the noise cancelling box is completely stripped of its rubberized cover, the plug relief is cracked and there's a cut on the cable somewhere.

I'm not looking for a replacement yet. I haven't come to terms. Woe is me.

Once I recover from the trip I'm on, I need to find out what this stupid thing was called and get another set.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

:canada: Looking for recs for any decent, affordable (let's say $50) over the ear headphones available in Canada. Wired is fine, wireless okay too but better if it brings its own BT dongle. :canada:

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 19, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Tanchjim Tanya!! $24 bux!

I use them with the Radsone ES100 for the win.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, but I need non-earbud options. Over the ear.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You could look at something like the Monoprice Retro over ears, but to be honest, there's not a lot of choice at that price point that's worth the money.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'll bump up the budget, what price points are we looking at?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The default "entry level" over ear suggestions tend to be the Status Audio CB-1, Philips SHP9500, or Sennheiser HD 599. You might also find something already discounted at Best Buy like entry level Sennheisers that will be decent enough. Just be warned that some cheaper Senneheiser bluetooth sets don't have 3.5MM inputs and can't be used wired.

There just isn't much choice in the sub-$100 CDN market for over ears, which is why IEMs tend to get recommended more often.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

grack posted:

You could look at something like the Monoprice Retro over ears, but to be honest, there's not a lot of choice at that price point that's worth the money.

The monoprice cheapies my buddy let me try out were loving great. They're solid little closed back headphones

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hey all. I have been fighting the 3.5mm holdout fight with my iPhone for years and now that my sixth lightning dongle has broken I'm fed up with it. Therefore I am looking for some Bluetooth headphones. It will also be nice to be able to charge my phone and listen at the same time. Aaaaappleeee gently caress you! :mad:

Budget - Around £150? Up to £200?

Source - iPhone via bluetooth

Isolation Requirements - Yes. I also do want to consider noise cancelling because the office I work in has an obnoxiously loud airconditioning hum that makes me want to scratch my eardrums out on long night shifts

Preferred Type of Headphone - I prefer circumaural, however these are going to be carted around with me to work and on trains etc. so I expect proper over-ear is going to be difficult. I really hate IEM, they make my ears hurt. At the start of the pandemic work gave me a set of ANC bluetooth IEM which would perfectly suit me (apart from looking hella nerdy) if I didn't have increasing pain from about 30 minutes of wearing them

Preferred Tonal Balance - I don't really know. I guess balanced therefore

Past Headphones - I have a venerable set of Sennheiser 568s which I love. They are open so they are solely at-home usage for me. I also have some Sennheiser Urbanite XL which have been pretty good but I found the design to be overly fussy and annoying. They fold which is handy and the overall size that they collapse down to is workable for my travel requirements. If they weren't wired I would probably just continue to use these ones for this purpose

Preferred Music - All sorts ranging from orchestral, acoustic and jazz to drum & bass and all kinds of metal. But skewing to metal and rock for at least 60% of my listening. I also listen to a ton of podcasts, but don't really care how they sound. Better isolation and ANC for podcasts would help me not have to keep the volume cranked up to max on super noisy trains

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you have a chance to try out a pair of AirPods Pro it might be worth considering those since their seal is a lot shallower than many IEMs. Otherwise keep an eye out for Sony wireless over-ears (XM3/XM4) going on sale after Christmas.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
My JBL Air Executive earbuds are acting funny. Charging case losing battery rapidly and individual buds spotty with maintaining a sync. This is my second pair of earbuds from JBL and I haven't been overwhelmed. What's the general rec for in ear wireless buds these days? I do prefer to have noise cancelling since I work in an industrial environment where that's often useful.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Merry Chrismas!

tiny reviews:

Audiosense DT600 - 6BA, pretty nice!! I enjoy them actually, no harsh places, wide sound, good fit, excellent build quality. Nice!
TRI Meteor - fail, hate them, not worth talking about much
Tin T3+ - fail, hate them, their LCP DD driver is a piece of poo poo tbh, horrible treble
KZ Crin tuned ZEX Pro - trash, mojo for him putting his name on this pile of poo poo
CCA CRA - eh, fail, do not like, attempted super clear tuning with bad refinement and just overall, not good

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

The Puppy Bowl posted:

My JBL Air Executive earbuds are acting funny. Charging case losing battery rapidly and individual buds spotty with maintaining a sync. This is my second pair of earbuds from JBL and I haven't been overwhelmed. What's the general rec for in ear wireless buds these days? I do prefer to have noise cancelling since I work in an industrial environment where that's often useful.

What is your budget?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

redeyes posted:

KZ Crin tuned ZEX Pro - trash, mojo for him putting his name on this pile of poo poo

Weird that they seem to have put his name on the ZEX Pro this early after they launched, I wonder if it was meant to be a small bit of consulting and they asked to slap the name on after the Pro didn't sell as well as they hoped right out the gate. The product page on Ali seems to have just been renamed and has all the same marketing bits as it did before launch. I got them since I liked how crazy fun the ZEX was but they don't have any of the traits I liked about those, it's like everything that was fun and different about the ZEX got squeezed out in an attempt to make an IEM Crinacle would like but it's all super sharp and harsh and vaguely unpleasant.

uwimage
Jan 26, 2009
Got the kid those headphones you all were giving me poo poo about not getting because he asked for them. They suck.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

uwimage posted:

Got the kid those headphones you all were giving me poo poo about not getting because he asked for them. They suck.

ah yes the Sennheiser 560S

famously a headphone that everybody in the know agrees sucks

lmao

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

grack posted:

The default "entry level" over ear suggestions tend to be the Status Audio CB-1, Philips SHP9500, or Sennheiser HD 599. You might also find something already discounted at Best Buy like entry level Sennheisers that will be decent enough. Just be warned that some cheaper Senneheiser bluetooth sets don't have 3.5MM inputs and can't be used wired.

There just isn't much choice in the sub-$100 CDN market for over ears, which is why IEMs tend to get recommended more often.

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I relayed all of this to my brother who was shopping for his wife. He sprung for the Sennheisers!

uwimage
Jan 26, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

ah yes the Sennheiser 560S

famously a headphone that everybody in the know agrees sucks

lmao

Ugh. What really pisses me off is he broke my amazing Sony studio headphones when he was 12, at 19 he’s supposed to appreciate these…I kinda wanna break them in his sleep but I paid for both. Yes I’m a bitter step dad…

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

uwimage posted:

Ugh. What really pisses me off is he broke my amazing Sony studio headphones when he was 12, at 19 he’s supposed to appreciate these…I kinda wanna break them in his sleep but I paid for both. Yes I’m a bitter step dad…

bad dad gets bitter over some Sony MDR 7506 (snort), gets forumbanned

uwimage
Jan 26, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

bad dad gets bitter over some Sony MDR 7506 (snort), gets forumbanned

Sony MDR-Z1R ok…

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

uwimage posted:

Sony MDR-Z1R ok…

You had them two years before their launch date? Wow, do you have an uncle at Sony?

uwimage
Jan 26, 2009

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

You had them two years before their launch date? Wow, do you have an uncle at Sony?

yes, I’ve been in the AV industry for over 25 years, want my passport? Jealous?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If my son didn't like the headphones I got him I would simply return them for something else instead of melting down and making up stories on an internet forum but that's just me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
so far it's just him that doesn't like them, as far as we know the son is perfectly happy.

uwimage
Jan 26, 2009

njsykora posted:

If my son didn't like the headphones I got him I would simply return them for something else instead of melting down and making up stories on an internet forum but that's just me.

Step son, spent over 20,000 on housing and feeding him…gently caress off and merry solstice.

Edit and his real daddy thought he was worth $25 a month…want to send money?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

uwimage
Jan 26, 2009

njsykora posted:

How many kids do you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

uwimage posted:

Step son, spent over 20,000 on housing and feeding him…gently caress off and merry solstice.

Yes that's your job, what's your point?