Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

lol i thought that name was familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUAnq4LnkbY

our new FIA president everyone, a guy who literally couldn't even drive an F1 car in a straight line is now making decisions about how F1 cars should be driven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Sab0921 posted:

Important news.

MICHAEL MASI BE DAMNED, I have re-committed myself to Formula 1 and have purchased tickets to attend the Canadian Grand Prix to hopefully watch Sir Lewis Hamilton wrap up his 8th WDC in June with 13 races left on the calendar.

Perhaps you mean Canadian Hero Lance Stroll. Easy mistake to make.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rhopunzel posted:

lol i thought that name was familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUAnq4LnkbY

our new FIA president everyone, a guy who literally couldn't even drive an F1 car in a straight line is now making decisions about how F1 cars should be driven

He's a very accomplished rally driver.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
If Masi somehow keeps his job into next season, he's just going to go completely nuts at every opportunity, citing the rule that gives the Race Director ultimate authority in a singsong voice between snorts and giggles.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Perhaps you mean Canadian Hero Lance Stroll. Easy mistake to make.

In the infinite wisdom of race organizers, they have named three grandstands after drivers - you can sit in Senna Curve, the Lance Stroll Hairpin or the Nicholas Latifi I dunno pit exit or whatever. All drivers of similar repute.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Stroll-Latifi is the championship battle we deserve.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

MustardFacial posted:

hes poo poo OP

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

imagine being that much of a poo poo pay driver that the closest you can pay your way into an f1 seat is a straight line demonstration and you still gently caress it up

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Fartin' Bumdle

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Important news.

MICHAEL MASI BE DAMNED, I have re-committed myself to Formula 1 and have purchased tickets to attend the Canadian Grand Prix to hopefully watch Sir Lewis Hamilton wrap up his 8th WDC in June with 13 races left on the calendar.

How much were the tickets I was considering going to Canadian gp .. also where r u going to sleep

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

ethanol posted:

How much were the tickets I was considering going to Canadian gp .. also where r u going to sleep

$381 USD for 3 days for Senna Curve Grandstand (T1-T2)

Have not booked hotels yet - will figure that out this weekend.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Just remove race director as a position and have a consistent team of stewards through the season that takes on those responsibilities. Add a person or two or split them up into different teams (one for time penalties, one for red flags and safety cars).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MustardFacial posted:

Fartin' Bumdle

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I am back to defend Lewis's honor.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Immolat1on posted:

Just remove race director as a position and have a consistent team of stewards through the season that takes on those responsibilities. Add a person or two or split them up into different teams (one for time penalties, one for red flags and safety cars).

Race director does more than delegate penalties and control the safety car. They're in charge of overall race safety covering everything from the driver briefing to the condition of the track.

It's actually a huge job when you bring in all of the aspects of it. It really shouldn't be left up to one person.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

Too late, it left.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MustardFacial posted:

It's actually a huge job when you bring in all of the aspects of it. It really shouldn't be left up to one person.
Fully agree with this, especially if the job involves monitoring communications from multiple different sources. Even if they block Toto from using FaceTime, just listening to 20 drivers complain about track conditions would be difficult

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Charlie didn't even try to do all of that on his own, he had Herbie organise a lot that that wasn't immediate and delegated it out. By all accounts, he even left a lot of the safety car decisions up to the safety car driver and was watching the overview of the track to see where the marshals were so he could direct the SC to bunch up when needed.

Not this constant stream of eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I don't know what I'm doing

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Apropos of 'racecraft' discussions and how weaving about like a pissed fish is the kind of driving Fangio himself would approve of...(I do love this thread. I wouldn't keep coming back after 10 years if I didn't...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkAoSghdD6Y

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

boop the snoot posted:

Was it chivalrous and befitting a 7-time F1 champ to skip this year's award ceremony?

marshalljim fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 18, 2021

speng31b
May 8, 2010

marshalljim posted:

Was it chivalrous and befitting a 7-time F1 champ to skip this year's award ceremony?

A knight did it, so by definition, yes

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

marshalljim posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Pissbaby seb crashed into another car because he imagine he got brake tested and even he is a more graceful loser.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

acidx posted:

Pissbaby seb crashed into another car because he imagine he got brake tested and even he is a more graceful loser.

he's definitely not

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

acidx posted:

Ah yes the man who jumped out of his car straight to congratulate his title rival on a hard fought win after a soul crushing last minute rule change pulled the rug out from under him is definitely an ungraceful loser. Whatever will the FIA do without having someone at a meaningless ceremony no F1 fan in the history of F1 has ever given a poo poo about.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

I finally watched the Senna documentary.

Whatever the gently caress happened 1989 and 1990 seems way more insane than Abu Dhabi this year. The doc clearly had a pro Senna bias but they made it seem like the FIA Pres invented a rule after the race was over in order to disqualify Senna and hand the title to Prost.

Wish we had Twitter/Reddit then.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Eb posted:

I feel the need to share this video that turned up on reddit (luckily reposted to youtube for embeddability). Really makes you feel for the poor guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jjjs5jEz4k

“Demented Australian” will be a perfect name change for 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sab0921 posted:

Important news.

Great, guess i'm not going now...

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Verstappen wouldn't move so you can't see that the background says Prize* Giving 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Prize giving 2021 was the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MustardFacial posted:

Lmao

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Sab0921 posted:

I finally watched the Senna documentary.

Whatever the gently caress happened 1989 and 1990 seems way more insane than Abu Dhabi this year. The doc clearly had a pro Senna bias but they made it seem like the FIA Pres invented a rule after the race was over in order to disqualify Senna and hand the title to Prost.

Wish we had Twitter/Reddit then.

No no this is literally what happened, years later he admitted as much as well. Check out the 89 and 90 season reviews on F1 tv.

What made it worse is that Voldemort was literally a French Nazi and full on member of the SS who seems to have bribed his way out of the noose after the war.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
JMB looks like the French Nazi that Quentin Tarantino would cast in one of his films.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

learnincurve posted:

No no this is literally what happened, years later he admitted as much as well. Check out the 89 and 90 season reviews on F1 tv.

What made it worse is that Voldemort was literally a French Nazi and full on member of the SS who seems to have bribed his way out of the noose after the war.
"No, no, I was, er..." [fingers collar nervously]"...an undercover agent for the French Resistance! No, don't bother trying to find anyone to corroborate that, I'm sure they're all dead." [sweat beads on forehead]

And then he was replaced by Max Mosley. Huh, seems to be a theme.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
mercedes thinking that they are scuderia ferrari and threatening lo leave fromula 1 is cute.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Folks they call them rules nazis for a reason

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

a lot of shameful posts in this thread that are not compliant with el plan

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

learnincurve posted:

I enjoyed listening to the extended interview with Max (the good Max, as opposed to the one who drives for RedBull) explain how Balestre was actually a lovely personable guy who was so attentive to his guests’ enjoyment when he invited oligarchs and authoritarian dictators and British bureaucrats over to his place for caviar

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
:siren:

Reminder for those who participated in the F1 Fantasy League: if you placed 2-5, you need to email me to collect your prize! I need some sort of proof/screenshot of your team page. Places 2-5 receive one free avatar* change for yourself or someone else. :twisted:

pragmatica@somethingawful.com

* Avatar changes for yourself or others must follow forum rules, be safe for work, and be F1 thread related (F1, general racing, cast iron pans, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Can't wait for fantasy league in the year of Our Lewis 2022. I also think I saw someone placed top 5 and hadn't even used their MegaDriver Boost which says something but idk what?