Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Still no FFVII Remake performance issues about 5 hours in. I am really enjoying it. The Jessie mission was fantastic - there is a ton of charming dialog/slapstick/body language throughout so far. Even the new scenes remind me of the original. Glad I stayed in the dark on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Valve oughta patch in controller support for HL2 someday.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

How is controller support in FFVII: R? I have a Switch Pro Controller but have only used it with Steam games so I have no idea if it works as seamlessly outside of that ecosystem.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anyone else noticed Steam acting up lately, updates freezing the browser, etc.?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ragequit posted:

Still no FFVII Remake performance issues about 5 hours in. I am really enjoying it. The Jessie mission was fantastic - there is a ton of charming dialog/slapstick/body language throughout so far. Even the new scenes remind me of the original. Glad I stayed in the dark on this one.

I love the remake, the only bad part is on replays you realize just how much slow walking/unskippable dialogue there is.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Rinkles posted:

Valve oughta patch in controller support for HL2 someday.
They put out the Orange Box on Xbox 360 and PS4, so it's not like they haven't added controller support to those games previously.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I love the remake, the only bad part is on replays you realize just how much slow walking/unskippable dialogue there is.
I noticed the amount of forced slow walking even on my first playthrough, it's probably my biggest complaint with the game.

Still good though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Has anyone else noticed Steam acting up lately, updates freezing the browser, etc.?

Yeah, the whole client will freeze if I leave it open while my computer sleeps. I’ve been making desktop shortcuts to skip the client as much as possible. The icons are cool at least.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

nitsuga posted:

Yeah, the whole client will freeze if I leave it open while my computer sleeps. I’ve been making desktop shortcuts to skip the client as much as possible. The icons are cool at least.

Here, it looks frozen on wake, but all I have to do is switch to another section than the one it's in (store/library/community/profile) and it recovers.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So it turns out that FF7R on PC is actually a debug build of the game, not a release build which is probably why others are having problems with it since it's running debuggers and missing optimizations release builds have, though it runs okay for me.

There's also Steamworks DRM in the files and the Steam ID it points to is https://steamdb.info/app/1462040/. I guess the Epic exclusivity must have been a last minute decision made by some exec from the look of it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Silver lining of the long walking is more time to listen to the music I suppose. The wild remixes you can find/buy for the jukebox have been decent, but the redone main themes have been incredible.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So it turns out that FF7R on PC is actually a debug build of the game, not a release build which is probably why others are having problems with it since it's running debuggers and missing optimizations release builds have, though it runs okay for me.

There's also Steamworks DRM in the files and the Steam ID it points to is https://steamdb.info/app/1462040/. I guess the Epic exclusivity must have been a last minute decision made by some exec from the look of it.

Does that imply it might come to Steam in a year?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Everything that isn't owned by Epic goes to Steam in a year.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

... i realize software releases are a total gently caress but how do you release a Debug build :psypop:

as for me it's broadly running fine but there is certainly some stutter especially moving thru areas

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/jellesmarbles/status/1472235212624990213?s=21

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Remnant: From the Ashes is the free game on Epic today, and I'm here to give it a solid recommendation. It got labelled as a mediocre Souls-like game but there's really not a whole lot Souls-y about it other than being a third-person action game. It's Diablo via Resident Evil 4. It makes some really weird decisions about the mission structure and randomization which can get in the way sometimes, but the actual gameplay is really great. My favorite thing is the terrifying horror movie sound effect that plays whenever an elite enemy shows up. It's really great when you're mowing down bad guys and then you hear the SHINK and you start spinning around saying "where is it, where is it" and then you see it and start firing and then SHINK and then you start panicking and then SHINK and and

Anyway, it's great. I think its number one problem and the reason it didn't take off is that due to the aforementioned weird decisions about randomization, you can run up against your first boss without a whole lot to fight it with, and if you get the wrong boss, your only option is to :gitgudhorn: and that feels bad so early in a game that's fun because of the many different weapon options you have later.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

OzFactor posted:

Remnant: From the Ashes is the free game on Epic today, and I'm here to give it a solid recommendation. It got labelled as a mediocre Souls-like game but there's really not a whole lot Souls-y about it other than being a third-person action game. It's Diablo via Resident Evil 4. It makes some really weird decisions about the mission structure and randomization which can get in the way sometimes, but the actual gameplay is really great. My favorite thing is the terrifying horror movie sound effect that plays whenever an elite enemy shows up. It's really great when you're mowing down bad guys and then you hear the SHINK and you start spinning around saying "where is it, where is it" and then you see it and start firing and then SHINK and then you start panicking and then SHINK and and

Anyway, it's great. I think its number one problem and the reason it didn't take off is that due to the aforementioned weird decisions about randomization, you can run up against your first boss without a whole lot to fight it with, and if you get the wrong boss, your only option is to :gitgudhorn: and that feels bad so early in a game that's fun because of the many different weapon options you have later.
The main issue I hear people had against it is that the big bosses and the more fun missions are designed to be done co-op and therefore doing them solo was either too difficult or too tedious to be fun. Is that still the case?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

The main issue I hear people had against it is that the big bosses and the more fun missions are designed to be done co-op and therefore doing them solo was either too difficult or too tedious to be fun. Is that still the case?
Yup.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I enjoyed Remnant, the only big problems I encountered were occasional BS boss design and the level scaling, which felt really obnoxious. From what I recall re-randomizing areas automatically sets them to your current gear/dude level, so there's almost no metaprogression or sense of advancement as you go. Dudes that took 3 shoots to kill five minutes into the game still take 3 shots with ridiculous endgame +10 murder machines.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Pierson posted:

Yeah, the problem is that it has some pretty serious balance problems, where, like I said with the first boss, you can get really hurt by randomly getting put into a series of maps that puts ends at a boss without giving you the really good stuff to put up much of a chance. There is a later boss in particular that seems to be a bit of a sticking point for people that I thought was hard, but not unmanageably so, but I had a fully upgraded Assault Rifle which is sort of the perfect combination of range and power for that boss. Not everyone gets put on the path toward that gun in the first area--I had to do it a bunch of times until I got it.

It's a game that has problems, no doubt, so telling people to go out and spend $40 on it is hard. But free? It's worth the HD space! I've always hoped it'd be a game like Assassins Creed or Watch Dogs where it was full of fun ideas with some poor execution that gets ironed out significantly in a sequel. So download it so the dev can make another!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pierson posted:

In the base game I only ever had trouble with 2 bosses and 1 sort of boss, a wave defense part. The first boss itself isn’t difficult but it also comes with infinitely spawning adds so that felt like a co-op design and the wave defense also had more than is reasonable for a single person. The final boss was only difficult because it used a unique mechanic that hasn’t appeared anywhere else in the game so I had to look it up.

I also chose the only class that started with a healing ability and I think that really helped.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Omi no Kami posted:

I enjoyed Remnant, the only big problems I encountered were occasional BS boss design and the level scaling, which felt really obnoxious. From what I recall re-randomizing areas automatically sets them to your current gear/dude level, so there's almost no metaprogression or sense of advancement as you go. Dudes that took 3 shoots to kill five minutes into the game still take 3 shots with ridiculous endgame +10 murder machines.
While there is some truth to "Don't want the game to be too easy" claims in game design. This broad subject reminds me how there are so many games where "Has a single player experience!" means "turn down the crafting and grinding sliders :effort:"

So I kind of wish there was a larger trend of people making games with Co-Op, balance the difficulty for single player only (but with convenient loot/exp for co-op), and then be shamelessly passive aggressive to anyone complaining Co-Op is too easy with "What did you think would happen, that it would be harder ganging up on the enemy with friends? :rolleyes: "

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

remnant isn't like diablo at all and do not be mistaken by the people who still confusingly say it is

very good coop experience, and if you like it both the DLCs are worth picking up. not sure I'd recommend it as a solo game, it's sort of ok solo but almost every boss has adds which feel much better to deal with if you have a friend, and being able to revive your teammate when they get downed instead of insta losing feels a lot better.

Also, if you get into the game you may want to keep this bookmarked (specifically for the world analyzer). don't worry about it if you're just getting started, but once you're a ways into the game you'll really appreciate being able to create an adventure and immediately know if it has any undiscovered items to find or whether you should roll another.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I played Remnant with 2 other people and it was extremely boring, the level design is so bland it seems like it started repeating after an hour.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's a lot like diablo, the endgame is just running the randomly generated adventure mode over and over again to complete quests and get the loot you want

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Play something else imo. I don't think its hard to find better co op shooter games than remnant

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

... i realize software releases are a total gently caress but how do you release a Debug build :psypop:

as for me it's broadly running fine but there is certainly some stutter especially moving thru areas

if it's true, the release build probably wasn't working properly. pretty easy to believe IME.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Play something else imo. I don't think its hard to find better co op shooter games than remnant

Do you have a recommendation? I have a mate and we struggle to find co-op stuff. I'm more of a fan of stuff with story but if you have any names I'll check them out

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Omi no Kami posted:

My main issue was the darksouls level-up-your-gear system which pretty much just makes the game worse.
Like ok I got a bunch of neat gimmicky guns from all these bosses I killed, and they would be fun to play with for a bit but not really better than the gun I already have... except I already spent all my titanite on upgrading my current gun, so if I want to play around with one of these new weapons I need to grind out all the enhancement materials again! So I ended up sticking with just one weapon for 90% of my playthrough.

(The starting Coach Gun is excellent. It looks vaguely shotgunny but it has a tight spread and especially with the one range-increasing ring you can pop badguy's heads from the opposite side of a room with it.)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

boofhead posted:

Do you have a recommendation? I have a mate and we struggle to find co-op stuff. I'm more of a fan of stuff with story but if you have any names I'll check them out

In case you haven't seen it before, check out Deep Rock Galactic. It's one of the best coop FPS around imho. No story though, max 4 players, and procgen cave systems as opposed to handcrafted environments.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

lordfrikk posted:

I played Remnant with 2 other people and it was extremely boring, the level design is so bland it seems like it started repeating after an hour.

it doesnt have level design, the levels are procgen

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

procgen requires more level design than static levels.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Like most (?) games, Remnan't procgen is made up of predesigned chunks, it's just how they're stitched together/which areas you'll get in any one run that's random.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Remnant is the closest we'll ever get to a Dark Tower game.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

boofhead posted:

Um, just gonna throw stuff out there then

A way out/it takes two (not shooters obviously)
Sniper elite games or zombie army
Edf 5
Gears of war games (kinda meh but still has a story)
Halo
Helldivers
Synthetik
Far cry games
Various Left 4 dead type games (vermintide, deep rock galactic etc.)

I dunno. Some of these are obviously a lot more fun than others but for the most part I'd rather play any of these than remnant

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

boofhead posted:

Lara Croft And The is a fantastic co-op twin stick shooter/puzzler and usually goes for sale for like a dollar fifty. Just plain fun with a mate.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Remnant is the closest we'll ever get to a Dark Tower game.

I... uh... gently caress.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ciaphas posted:

[looks at dead island] indeed

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

boofhead posted:

Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Ready or Not just went into EA and could be a fun SWAT-like co op game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1144200/Ready_or_Not/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
chicory is essentially what you'd get if you made a game story out of a deviantart comment but at least the gameplay pairs well with its philosophy

the limited brush controls and palettes mean that you're basically fingerpainting compared to the far more professional-looking artworks and artists you're meant to emulate but the game's all about the importance of creation without stressing over quality so most everyone's reaction to your work is "doin' great, sweetie"