Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That’s a funny way to spell “1998 Subaru Outback.”

This car has AWD, ample cargo space, heated seats, and low profile enough that you could actually see pedestrians. Extremely good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm probably going to end up with an Outback eventually, not because I want one (though they are good cars, I certainly wouldn't complain), but because everyone in my line of work eventually gets a Subaru. They may as well hand out brochures at employee orientation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm probably going to end up with an Outback eventually, not because I want one (though they are good cars, I certainly wouldn't complain), but because everyone in my line of work eventually gets a Subaru. They may as well hand out brochures at employee orientation.

The thing I dislike the most about my Subaru is the goddamned CVT. Between ~25-30mph I can get this annoying "rubber banding" effect. It's easy enough to mitigate by letting off or pushing down on the throttle, but it always happens when I least want it to, like when crawling along at 25-30mph on an interstate slowdown.

If only the Audi Allroad didn't MSRP for like $67k... :argh:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Last stick shift Outback in the US rolled out of Indiana in 2014, so if you're looking for that specifically, that's your cutoff. Same for Forester. About 3k/year made '10-14 so get ready for the insurance to be like "well.... your rate is higher because it will be harder to replace if it's totalled." Dicks.

You can still get a stick in an Impreza wagon and the the crosstrek. gently caress a CVT.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I had a 2012 STI and it was a hateful piece of poo poo that left me on the side of the road a dozen times even though I maintained it on schedule and didn't abuse it. I will never own another Subaru after that.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The EJ255 is a fickle beast. It's officially dead in production now. They were much better about head gaskets than any other EJ, though.

There are cursed years too, for all models. My '13 Outback is cursed. Though the curse largely extends to the CVTs, besides randomly double priced parts like the flywheel.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The power plant was just about the only thing that didn't break, I had no problems with the engine.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The thing I dislike the most about my Subaru is the goddamned CVT. Between ~25-30mph I can get this annoying "rubber banding" effect. It's easy enough to mitigate by letting off or pushing down on the throttle, but it always happens when I least want it to, like when crawling along at 25-30mph on an interstate slowdown.

If only the Audi Allroad didn't MSRP for like $67k... :argh:

Unplug the battery for a half hour then do a service drive; this feels like it resolves 99% weirdness in my wife's Impreza.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Unplug the battery for a half hour then do a service drive; this feels like it resolves 99% weirdness in my wife's Impreza.

I'm also coming up on 60k miles and I'm thinking of replacing (but not flushing, which can sometimes do more harm than good) the CVT fluid ahead of schedule.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Don't. They won't do the warranty claims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja86PRHS2sg

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
The downside of the non outback’s is that you can’t fold down the rear seats and sleep in the back. There’s only like 5 feet back there.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
You all spell Volvo 240 wrong.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Properly taxing vehicles based on proportionate road wear might be a good start.

I missed this before, but if anyone wants to do more thorough research into this google "18k Equivalent Single Axle Loads."

While not directly correlated to taxes, they are factored into all pavement and structure designs and tolling fees.

Richard Bong posted:

The downside of the non outback’s is that you can’t fold down the rear seats and sleep in the back. There’s only like 5 feet back there.

Gotta be more than that. My '09 Impreza hatch is 53 inches. (I had to measure it because I was making an Ikea run and needed to know what my max was)

Also Google says 66" inches, so I retract my previous argument.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 18, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I did a little looking into Omicron this morning and found a few things.

There's this from the Imperial Colleges:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/12/17/no-evidence-that-covid-omicron-variant-less-severe-than-delta-uk-study.html

quote:

'No evidence’ Omicron less severe than Delta, say UK researchers

I looked at the numbers, and the earliest report I could find of Omicron in the UK was 26 November. They reported 10000 cases yesterday, which by my math means doubling on a period of less than two days.

Be safe, everyone.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

InAndOutBrennan posted:

My friend!

I’m not going to buy for another few years but I will own a 240 again. I love the quirks because I grew up in the backseat of them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I did a little looking into Omicron this morning and found a few things.

It would not shock me in the slightest if Omicron was downplayed just to get people traveling and shopping before the end of Q4 and once that's no longer required the narrative is going to shift to "whoopsie!" while they count their profits.

:capitalism:

Nystral posted:

My friend!

I’m not going to buy for another few years but I will own a 240 again. I love the quirks because I grew up in the backseat of them.

My first car was a 1991 Volvo 740. I hated how it drove in the snow (and Volvo guys are always quick to tell me what I was doing wrong as a brand new driver :rolleyes:), but I loved how it held a line on the highway. The engine bay was enormous - always wondered just how large of a powerplant you could get under that hood if you wanted to get really stupid.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 18, 2021

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It would not shock me in the slightest if Omicron was downplayed just to get people traveling and shopping before the end of Q4 and once that's no longer required the narrative is going to shift to "whoopsie!" while they count their profits.
So the ______ sent a memo to the media and the commentariat to play down Omicron to boost... air travel and gas purchases??

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Given the stink kicked up by SA over the immediate travel bans, I don't think that was the case. Even for covid, though, this is insanely fast.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Cugel the Clever posted:

So the ______ sent a memo to the media and the commentariat to play down Omicron to boost... air travel and gas purchases??

This seems too evil for the oil companies or not evil enough?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Getting my booster today. Mixing it up with a Pfizer shot hoping it’ll suck a little less than my second moderna did.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm sure the media owners have a diverse enough stock portfolio that they don't need anyone actually telling them what to do

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Pfizer number three gave a reasonable rear end kicking. Some shocking chills at night for a couple of days. Occasionally some fever, constantly tired, and kicked my migraines up a notch for about a week.

Still only about number 3 on the worst vaccines I've ever had list.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1472186035777978368?s=20

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It would not shock me in the slightest if My first car was a 1991 Volvo 740. I hated how it drove in the snow (and Volvo guys are always quick to tell me what I was doing wrong as a brand new driver :rolleyes:), but I loved how it held a line on the highway. The engine bay was enormous - always wondered just how large of a powerplant you could get under that hood if you wanted to get really stupid.

You put extra weight (cat litter, concrete) over the rear axle and then you go.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My Trump good old boy coworker just gave me a present:

They're to stick on gas pumps and they're apparently A Thing like "Let's Go Brandon". And I gotta say I'm tempted. The doomposter in me is mad enough about that gas price graph tweet from the Democrats twitter that I would chuckle if I saw one out in the wild.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

InAndOutBrennan posted:

I have a C30, which is the next best thing.

Soul Dentist posted:

They're to stick on gas pumps and they're apparently A Thing like "Let's Go Brandon". And I gotta say I'm tempted.

Yeah, don't. Y'all don't have to like Biden or even vote for him, but don't do the GOP any favors. Even stupid theoretical ones.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 19, 2021

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Soul Dentist posted:

They're to stick on gas pumps and they're apparently A Thing like "Let's Go Brandon". And I gotta say I'm tempted. The doomposter in me is mad enough about that gas price graph tweet from the Democrats twitter that I would chuckle if I saw one out in the wild.

Every gas station between Oxford Mississippi and Ozark County Missouri had these on the pumps. Deep MAGA country has played the joke out.

It was semi funny for 5 minutes when it was new to Twitter 6 months ago, I guess. It’s as dumb as let’s go Brandon now.

But you do you.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Soul Dentist posted:

My friend in CO was talking about these a month ago, said they were on every pump he saw outside of Denver.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah I haven't seen the stickers, but I've seen graffiti to that effect on pumps for at least a month.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Remember that anti-vax, anti-mask, Washington State Senator that went to El Salvador and caught COVID? He finally got back into country and went to Florida for treatment. Then nobody heard from him for 2-3 weeks. And well, FAFO.

Washington Senator Doug Ericksen dies at 52
https://www.khq.com/news/washington-senator-doug-erickson-dies-at-52/article_6c268054-605e-11ec-9ed5-67a7cd489fe4.html

bengy81
May 8, 2010
For whatever its worth, supposedly some pump inspectors won't certify pumps if they have stickers/graffiti on them. Not sure if thats true, or if it matters in your decision making.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
When I said tempted I was hoping to infer that I'd resist the temptation. Either way I only gas up at Costco now and I'd never deface the church

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Soul Dentist posted:

Around here I see a breakdown of taxes per gallon or whatever and it’s sponsored by some petroleum marketing company. I want to get a bunch of stickers that show the average subsidy the oil companies get per gallon of gas

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Soul Dentist posted:

I saw one of these in the wild two? weeks ago and I thought it was some poorly thought out vote rallying thing for biden.

"I was like, bruh, I'm still filling my tank for about 23$ the price didn't go down all that much."

As it turns out both me and the republican idiot are idiots.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

those biden gas price takes are bad takes. in reality biden policy has done little to affect oil and gas. it’s shale drillers trying to avoid their overproduction mistakes from a decade ago:

https://twitter.com/robert__gibbons/status/1470761966176292875

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
But we can't work from home anymore!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Every pump I've stopped at for the last 3 months has had those stickers. I spend my time there scraping it off.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I drove cross country last month through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, and Michigan, and I think I saw those stickers... once?? Though granted, it's not like I was looking for them.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

pmchem posted:

those biden gas price takes are bad takes. in reality biden policy has done little to affect oil and gas. it’s shale drillers trying to avoid their overproduction mistakes from a decade ago:

It's also really weird because when oil crashed in Donnie's last year, he was *deliberately* pushing for higher oil prices. So yanno, thanks Donnie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

It's also really weird because when oil crashed in Donnie's last year, he was *deliberately* pushing for higher oil prices. So yanno, thanks Donnie!

yeah, oil's a goldilocks and the 3 bears thing. price is too low, people complain. price is too high, people complain. price is just right, someone else's plan gets hosed up and you eventually get scared people screaming and running out of a house after breaking and entering