Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

god & miro vs the black sacrament. the black sacrament is the name of the stable i don't remember so i put in different words, but it's going to be malakai, brody somethingmore, and others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I Before E posted:

I want The Redeemer to have a face run. "Vengeance is mine", saith the Lord, and Miro is the guy he sent to dispense it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Adam Cole kinkshames Shawn Spears for being a chair pervert and MJF comes to his defense.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Has there been a Dynamite without CM Punk since he returned?

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Does a draw count as a successful title defence? He's still got the title, and he didn't lose the match. I need to know for statistical purposes.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Saul Goode posted:

Does a draw count as a successful title defence? He's still got the title, and he didn't lose the match. I need to know for statistical purposes.

Yes. Okada's defence record includes the draw with Kenny.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Thank you!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Random thought while watching Dynamite (can't even remember which match now): if someone's in a submission hold and grabs the ropes, if they tap within the five seconds the ref is counting before the hold has to be released, does it count? If so, what's the (kayfabe and storytelling) reasoning for bothering with the count and not requiring immediate release? I suppose grabbing the rope isn't an achievement enough to warrant the person applying the hold having to break it, and the person in the hold has to do a little more to 'earn' it?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Answers Me posted:

Random thought while watching Dynamite (can't even remember which match now): if someone's in a submission hold and grabs the ropes, if they tap within the five seconds the ref is counting before the hold has to be released, does it count? If so, what's the (kayfabe and storytelling) reasoning for bothering with the count and not requiring immediate release? I suppose grabbing the rope isn't an achievement enough to warrant the person applying the hold having to break it, and the person in the hold has to do a little more to 'earn' it?

The five counts does 2 things in kayfabe:

1. Notifies the person putting on the hold that the rope has been touched

2. Acts as the usual you have 5 seconds to comply and reset before a DQ (in and out of kayfabe I'm not sure how you can expect anything other than instant DQ if you don't have a 3 or 5 count because there's a reaction time).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Saul Goode posted:

It's like Ric Flair said: "to be the Champion you gotta beat the champ WOOOOOOO"

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Did Bryan Danielson have a 5 star match on WWE? I know Meltzer never went there, but I’m more interested in if there were any matches that arguably were.

What is Booker T’s best match? For a guy who had a fairly good rep as a worker during his day I can’t recall any 4 star+ matches.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Did Bryan Danielson have a 5 star match on WWE? I know Meltzer never went there, but I’m more interested in if there were any matches that arguably were.

Some people said it about Bryan vs Cena from 2013 & Bryan vs Punk from 2012. And there was an AJ match on Smackdown last June which people regarded highly, but whether anyone has it at ***** I can't say

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Chris Benoit and Booker T had some great matches in WCW. For WWE there was the 2006 GAB against Rey Mysterio.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

What is Booker T’s best match? For a guy who had a fairly good rep as a worker during his day I can’t recall any 4 star+ matches.

No, and in fact, Dragons first fiver was with Kenneth Aloysius Omega. I'm one of the folks who think his Fight Without Honor with Morishina shoulda gotten 5, as should the unification match with Nigel.

Booker's best rated match in WWE that I can find is Survivor Series 2001, a 10 man tag between the Alliance and WWE, it got ****1/2.

His best WCW match as a singles was a Benoit match ***1/2 from a Nitro.

The thing about Book is he spent his athletic peak carrying Stevie Ray as a tag team. A lot of his matches as a singles were good, but not great. Benoit and him had good chemistry but didn't always get time. And WCW weren't interested in pushing Booker until they had to.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Brian Danielson suffered from Dave giving nothing in the US 5* in the aughts then suffering through WWE in the 10s so despite being the best wrestler on the planet he never got the snowflakes.
In 4 months in AEW he has 2.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

ChrisBTY posted:

Brian Danielson suffered from Dave giving nothing in the US 5* in the aughts

More than half of the five star matches Dave gave in the 00s happened in the US, Danielson just wasn't positioned on the level of someone like Samoa Joe at the time

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Brian Danielson suffered from Dave giving nothing in the US 5* in the aughts then suffering through WWE in the 10s so despite being the best wrestler on the planet he never got the snowflakes.

Samoa Joe got two five star matches within a month of each other in the aughts. It's not Dave's fault Bryan had to come to AEW to learn to work.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ChrisBTY posted:

There were more US 5 star matches than Japanese in the 2000s?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Weird. I could have sworn most of the snowflakes moved to Japan in the 00s. Alas. I was wrong.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nobody was getting buried in snowflakes in the 00s, it was the dead age of wrestling

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ChrisBTY posted:

Weird. I could have sworn most of the snowflakes moved to Japan in the 00s. Alas. I was wrong.

in the 2010s, WWE fans used to get mad because after Punk/Cena, and Richards/Elgin the only five star matches were in Japan or Meltzer's home promotion PWG. This was clearly due to the bias of things from Japan, or it being his home promotion featuring wrestlers with moves named after him.

In hindsight, it was probably that the PWG matches featured great talent, 90% of which would end up in WWE anyway, and NJPW was going through a golden era.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Of course WWE didn't get any 5* matches. Even at their best nobody in WWE was at their best because the 'house' style is a limiter on the truly excellent. And their stories were such garbage it was impossible to develop a sincere excitement or rooting interest (with a few exceptions).

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Between December 2000 and March 2006, only six matches were rated five stars or higher by Meltzer. After that he didn't hand out another one until July 2011, to Cena and Punk at Money in the Bank.

The WWE itself wouldn't get another five-star until NXT Takeover Philly in 2018. Yeesh.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

Of course WWE didn't get any 5* matches. Even at their best nobody in WWE was at their best because the 'house' style is a limiter on the truly excellent. And their stories were such garbage it was impossible to develop a sincere excitement or rooting interest (with a few exceptions).

They got a few, obviously Punk/Cena is the standout, but yeah.

Danielson in WWE just never got that perfect mix of a great match AND a great story payoff/resolution, like his match winning the belt from Cena came close but was likely harmed by them instantly giving it to Orton for HEAT.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Danielson should have got 5* for Unified 06 but it was after Kobashi was diagnosed with cancer and Meltz stopped giving fivers out of respect

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How many five star matches has WWE had? I feel like AEW is going to blow them out of the water. If they haven't already.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

How many five star matches has WWE had? I feel like AEW is going to blow them out of the water. If they haven't already.

Including NXT WWE has gotten 14 *****+ matches from Meltzer. 7 of those are from NXT & 2 from NXTUK.

AEW has 12.

(Then again, David didn't give Bret Owen ***** so he's a fool)

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Even aside from the limitations of the WWE style, the production values surely makes it impossible to give a match five stars. The camera cuts make it impossible to tell what’s going on.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Answers Me posted:

Even aside from the limitations of the WWE style, the production values surely makes it impossible to give a match five stars. The camera cuts make it impossible to tell what’s going on.

Walter vs Ilja was in August (I didn't give it ***** but Dave did. Well, *****1/4)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

forkboy84 posted:

(Then again, David didn't give Bret Owen ***** so he's a fool)
He gave their Summerslam 1994 match *****, the Wrestlemania X match only got **** 3/4.

Other WWE quarter snowflake lackers:
Shawn Michaels vs. Marty Jannetty @ Raw 1993
HBK vs Razor ladder match @ Summerslam 1994
HBK vs Mankind @ Mind Games 1996
Benoit vs. Jericho ladder match @ Royal Rumble 2001
Austin vs. HHH 3 Stages of Hell @ No Way Out 2001
TLC 2 @ Wrestlemania X-7
Benoit/Jericho vs. Austin/HHH vs. HHH's Quad @ Raw 2001
TLC 3 @ Smackdown 2001
Angle/Benoit vs. Edge/Mysterio @ No Mercy 2002
Angle vs. Benoit @ Royal Rumble 2003
Benoit vs. HHH vs HBK @ Wrestlemania XX
Angle vs HBK @ Wrestlemania 21
Undertaker vs. HBK @ Wrestlemania 25
Undertaker vs. HBK @ Wrestlemania 26
Undertaker vs. HHH @ Wrestlemania 28
Lesnar vs. Rollins vs. Cena @ Royal Rumble 2015
AJ Styles vs. John Cena @ Royal Rumble 2017
Lesnar vs. Strowman vs. Samoa Joe vs. Reigns @ Summerslam 2017
Becky vs. Charlotte @ Evolution
AJ Styles vs. Bryan @ TLC 2018
AJ Styles vs. Bryan @ Smackdown 2020

And from NXT:
Neville vs. Sami Zayn @ NXT Takeover R Evolution
Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne @ NXT Takeover Chicago 2017
Gargano vs. Black @ NXT Takeover Wargames 2018
Ciampa vs. Velveteen Dream @ NXT Takeover Wargames 2018
Gargano vs. Ricochet @ NXT Takeover Phoenix 2019
Dunne vs. WALTER @ NXT Takeover Brooklyn 2019
Fish/O'Reilly vs. Dunne/RIddle @ NXT Takeover Portland 2019
Cole vs. Ciampa @ NXT Takeover Portland 2019
Undisputed Era vs. Pat McAfee and Company @ NXT Wargames 2020
Gargano vs. Kushida @ NXT Vengeance Day 2021

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Chris Benoit and Booker T had some great matches in WCW. For WWE there was the 2006 GAB against Rey Mysterio.

the Booker/Lashley/Batista/Finley four-way at No Mercy '06 is pretty great for a nothing-happening PPV.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I don't know how it holds up, but he had a Smackdown match around 2010 with Cody Rhodes that I really dug, partially due to the story they were telling with it. The idea was that their different ages put them on the same level in opposite ways. Cody was young and had stamina, but he lacked the experience to know how to handle a match that went on longer. Booker, on the other hand, had the experience to survive a longer match, but was physically limited from being older.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

D.N. Nation posted:

the Booker/Lashley/Batista/Finley four-way at No Mercy '06 is pretty great for a nothing-happening PPV.

Was that show were half the card was rearranged the day before the show because half the card had elevated liver enzymes? I know it was around that time period.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TL posted:

Was that show were half the card was rearranged the day before the show because half the card had elevated liver enzymes? I know it was around that time period.

no that was Great American Bash 06

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

TL posted:

What's elevated liver enzymes indicative of? Some sort of blood transmitted disease?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Booker T's best matches were all with Benoit, although he also had another great one with Bret in that brief time in late 99 when Bret was really feeling it in WCW.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Nope. The 30-minute draw against Omega earlier this year was his first 5-star match. Him missing out on the accolade up until this point is a case where Meltzer is just plain wrong. Even in the WWE, he had a few matches that absolutely should qualify (the 6-man Team Hell No/Ryback vs Shield match at TLC 2012 and his match against BIG MATCH JOHN at SummerSlam 2013 should absolutely be re-evaluated, for example).

It's also absolutely criminal that his match against Nigel McGuinness in 2006, back when he was RoH champion, didn't get the full 5.

Alaois posted:

no that was Great American Bash 06

At least we got a really good Regal vs Finlay match out of it.

Defenestrategy posted:

What's elevated liver enzymes indicative of? Some sort of blood transmitted disease?

Steroids or HGH or something along those lines, IIRC.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 18, 2021

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

Nope. The 30-minute draw against Omega earlier this year was his first 5-star match. Him missing out on the accolade up until this point is a case where Meltzer is just plain wrong. Even in the WWE, he had a few matches that absolutely should qualify (the 6-man Team Hell No/Ryback vs Shield match at TLC 2012 and his match against BIG MATCH JOHN at SummerSlam 2013 should absolutely be re-evaluated, for example).

It's also absolutely criminal that his match against Nigel McGuinness in 2006, back when he was RoH champion, didn't get the full 5.

At least we got a really good Regal vs Finlay match out of it.

Steroids or HGH or something along those lines, IIRC.

Dave didn't watch every RoH show, and he had this weird thing that if he waited too long he wouldn't go back and watch something that didn't line up with some arbitrary time frame that only Dave understood in his own brain. I know he didn't see or rate one of the Nigel matches, and another one he wouldn't give the full five because of the dumb poo poo Nigel did with slamming his forehead into things full force unprotected. Time kind of vindicated Dave on that what with Nigel turning his brain to mush well before anyone else in RoH and also what went down with Shibata.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

D.N. Nation posted:

Heel Jungle Boy would be.....well, it'd be a thing.

https://youtu.be/OeUvAVl-NFE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Big Bidness posted:

Dave didn't watch every RoH show, and he had this weird thing that if he waited too long he wouldn't go back and watch something that didn't line up with some arbitrary time frame that only Dave understood in his own brain. I know he didn't see or rate one of the Nigel matches, and another one he wouldn't give the full five because of the dumb poo poo Nigel did with slamming his forehead into things full force unprotected. Time kind of vindicated Dave on that what with Nigel turning his brain to mush well before anyone else in RoH and also what went down with Shibata.

He rated the three Nigel/Danielson matches that have the best arguments for five stars and basically every Danielson match in ROH I would argue is five stars other than the final match with Morishima. He underrated some, overrated some, it's fine.