Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tell me where the combat gays touched you

Welp, goodbye Ukraine. No way the Baltics or Poland would ever agree to this.

Paladinus posted:

Polish defence minister now claims the soldier had problems with the law and shouldn't have been at the border in the first place, and was about to be discharged anyway.

https://twitter.com/mblaszczak/status/1471802397605384193

Not sure I'm buying it, to be honest.

Either he murdered/raped someone or got caught selling classified information. Can't imagine any other reason why someone would flee to Belarus except to avoid >5 years in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

And in return... They'll stop invading their neighbors?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Polish defence minister now claims the soldier had problems with the law and shouldn't have been at the border in the first place, and was about to be discharged anyway.

https://twitter.com/mblaszczak/status/1471802397605384193

Not sure I'm buying it, to be honest.

The minister forgot to also add “he was gay, btw”.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GABA ghoul posted:

Either he murdered/raped someone or got caught selling classified information. Can't imagine any other reason why someone would flee to Belarus except to avoid >5 years in prison.

There was an American dude some years ago who applied for asylum in North Korea. If I remember correctly, they didn't take him in.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The minister forgot to also add “he was gay, btw”.

My first thought. I'm surprised they didn't go with the classic Russian method of discharging him 2 weeks prior.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

He feared that there'd be another Lou Bega concert

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

And in return... They'll stop invading their neighbors?

Who said anything about "reciprocation"? After all, Russia is merely an agency-less automaton, acting as the international system requires, she can't make any promises.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Individual soldiers doing something very stupid is kinda not super surprising. Usually it involves marrying a stripper or a taking a bad loan on a car.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

GABA ghoul posted:

If this is what is required for Russia to feel safe it implies a number of wars beyond Ukraine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

steinrokkan posted:

That set is giving me serious 90s public TV flashbacks Those ugly armchairs, that even uglier tablecloth, those random plants :pwn:

Notice the scratches on the wall. It's probably some military guy's office they're doing it in.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yeah, he didn't even had a chance to take a shower or anything. They started filming as soon as they could.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The soldier now says Polish border guards murdered two activists who tried to help refugees at the border, and he personally saw them execute one by shooting them in the forehead.

I get blaming Polish government and military command for the deaths of migrants at the border, but I haven't heard anything about missing activists.

E: Polish media seem to spread different versions of why the soldier decided to desert and his alleged problems with the law. Some say he claim he had a DUI, and some go as far as saying he assaulted his own mother.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 17, 2021

Halborn
Nov 8, 2020

So a brittle blade will shatter before it bends, so a brittle soul will break before it turns.
Bye bye TVN.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Those demands are so obviously bad faith it's funny

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paladinus posted:

The soldier now says Polish border guards murdered two activists who tried to help refugees at the border, and he personally saw them execute one by shooting them in the forehead.

So turns out this part could have been a mistranslation (of course, it's impossible to find someone who speaks Polish fluently right next to the Polish border). He might have meant that activists were not shot, but beaten, which was reported by Polish news media, so nothing new here.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Halborn posted:

Bye bye TVN.

poo poo’s unraveling as fast as Qaddafi’s rule, I guess PiS went with the atomic option.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Today Russia's approval on what kind of and how many troops can exist in the Baltic states, tomorrow the privilege of naming next coalition governments.

I know where Putin can stick his demands.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Normally to send demands like that you have to have had an Archduke assassinated or something.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tigey posted:

Normally to send demands like that you have to have had an Archduke assassinated or something.

Da, we can arrange this! :toxx:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

A bit of Finnish academic perspective...

STT posted:

Russia's demands to NATO and the United States on Friday increased the likelihood of war against Ukraine and reduced the likelihood of finding a peaceful solution, said Tuomas Forsberg, director of the University of Helsinki's Collegium for Advanced Studies and professor of international politics. He says the “utopia” of Friday’s list of requirements has changed his assessment of the situation.

- If this were part of a bigger game that seeks attention and increases pressure on negotiated solutions, such a list of requirements would not be presented in the meantime, Forsberg says.

- The nature of the demands, their intense presentation and the recent framings of Ukraine as an artificial state and of a genocide in eastern Ukraine, for example, suggest that it has already been decided to start hostilities and they seek occasion for it, he says.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Maybe they can make a trade, Ukraine gets to join nato while cuba and Venezuela get to have massive Chinese/Russian military bases and nukes and missile platforms.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Al-Saqr posted:

Maybe they can make a trade, Ukraine gets to join nato while cuba and Venezuela get to have massive Chinese/Russian military bases and nukes and missile platforms.

"Upper Volta with rockets."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

This Russia analyst suggests that USA should provide F-15 and F-16 fighters to Ukraine along with conversion training to Ukrainian pilots, analogously to the 100 F-4 Phantom II fighters delivered to Israel during the Yom Kippur war.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2021/12/16/military_aid_for_ukraine_deterring_russia_promptly_808177.html

quote:

Military Aid for Ukraine: Deterring Russia Promptly
By Stephen Blank

The ongoing debate over the provision of military aid to Ukraine has been frequently contaminated by naïve misunderstandings of Ukrainian military and technological capabilities. Partly this is a result of Western media uncritically regurgitating Russian and pro-Russian propaganda. But frequently, it also reflects a failure by media and so called analysts to read what is already widely available on the public record.

The absurdity of some commentaries, where Ukraine is compared to Iraq or Afghanistan, ignores the reality that Ukraine long ago proved able to design, engineer and manufacture space launch vehicles, terminally guided ballistic missiles, airborne, naval and land-based radars, including solid state AESA radars, guidance systems for and complete air-air and air-surface missiles, guided artillery rockets, anti-ship and land-attack cruise missiles, anti-tank guided missiles, tanks, armored vehicles, and a wide range of other military and aerospace systems.

While Ukraine retains these capabilities, its industry has struggled with problems ranging from a Russian embargo on spare parts and components, Germany’s de facto embargo on substitute components from NATO nations, dysfunctional bureaucracies, and chronic undercapitalization. The latter has seen many defense industry plants using their capacity to generate export revenue rather than equip the Ukrainian military, as the export revenue is used to pay personnel salaries on government projects.

Suggestions that a few hundred Stinger MANPADS or Javelin ATGWs would be adequate misunderstand Ukraine’s situation.

Naysayers have frequently argued that it would take the Ukrainians years to learn how to operate and maintain sophisticated weapons like U.S. made F-15s, F-16s and Patriot SAMs, an argument that fails to consider the sophistication of the equipment the Ukrainians already design, manufacture and operate. While it might take 100 hours of flying time to teach a novice fighter pilot to fly an F-15 or F-16, an experienced Su-27 or MiG-29 pilot can be converted in much less time. A much better analogy is to compare the Ukrainians to the Israelis some decades ago – smart, motivated, but under-resourced, fighting for survival, and let down by their European “allies.”

The U.S. saved Israel from probable defeat in 1973 by ferry flying and airlifting an unprecedented volume of military materiel during Operation Nickel Grass, and this could be a template for deterring Russia in Ukraine.

The NDAA is expected to see almost one hundred F-15C/D and F-16C/D fighters sent in coming months to the AMARG boneyard to be mothballed, yet these fighters are in capability and quantity exactly the kind of equipment the Ukrainians need. No differently, some of the 18 KC-135R and 14 KC-10A aerial tankers headed for storage would fit.

Short term provision of air and ground crews could be done using former U.S. service personnel under contract, precedents being volunteer pilots serving in Britain during the 1940s or in Israel in its early years, while experienced Ukrainian personnel are transitioned. Again, there are many precedents, and Ukraine itself has made extensive use of volunteer troops from former Soviet republics, and the West, since 2014.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

Tell me where the combat gays touched you

There's at least one American hiding in Belarus because he was part of the January 6 insurrection so yes, it's a good place to evade prosecution it seems.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

At least until the Russians decide that they have enough US weirdos for propaganda purposes now

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

At least until the Russians decide that they have enough US weirdos for propaganda purposes now

Remember when Putin appointed Steven Seagal as a special envoy to USA to improve ties in 2018? Good times :smugdon:

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Either the moth is going all in with escalating as a bluff further freaking everyone out about a country with nukes going insane and strategically damaging relationships with the last russia-understanders left, or he and the other insane military grandpas want to attack a 40 million people "brotherly nation" with a dug in military. Both options seem pretty loving dumb

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

My view is that Putin is not likely to over commit if he attacks. The war with Georgia lasted less than two weeks and invasion of Crimea was also quickly over. Meanwhile Russia has officially kept distance from east Ukrainian separatists. A full invasion of Ukraine would seem excessive and unpredictable move in comparison. Hybrid operations are more typical of Russia. Huge force concentrations help in this because Ukrainians can't be sure where the blow comes from and can't stretch everywhere.

I'm just not sure what the goal of a limited invasion would be. Western sanctions and other reactions wouldn't make small tactical maneuvers worth it, might as well go all in. Or at least claim that you want to "pacify" Ukraine and end a genocide by "liberating" eastern Ukraine and a bit more. Maybe advance near Kyiv to increase pressure on Ukrainian government.

This assumes that Kremlin has analyzed the situation correctly and Putin is acting rationally. They could be acting on wrong data and Putin might be trying to build an empire as a testament for his career based on his personal beliefs of where history is destined to go. So who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Kremlinology II: Putin Boogaloo

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nenonen posted:

I'm just not sure what the goal of a limited invasion would be.

Mariupul and access to the Dnieper to provide water to Crimea before summer.

Also demonstrates the Zelensky government is impotent and his Western backers won't lift a finger to protect Ukraine.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mariupol is the industrial heart of Ukraine a week long conflict to take this would be sweeping as it could crack Ukrainian GDP and cause a lot of unrest because the government would have to do serious budget cuts. So Russian may be able to say hey look our pensions are so much better at 30,000 rubles a month instead of 10,000 rubles a month come join the federation! Or some other nonsense propaganda that will be bought by hungry people.

Taking this city by itself is a victory as it's industry can power the tiny country of Novo Russia.

--
"
German Economics Minister Habeck threatens Russia to end the #NordStream2 gas pipeline in case an attack on Ukraine. Minister sees a pipe as fundamentally a geopolitical mistake. Any further military aggression could not be without severe consequences
"

"
More Russian military units have been sent to the border area in recent days, sources tell CNN. US and Ukrainian officials have also seen evidence that Russia has begun diverting commercial air and rail systems to support the military effort
"

Russia is now cracking down on pro Ukrainian pro Nazis cells in the south west. A key feature needed to or vent sabotage as the main army moves forward.

Every day this feels a lot more likely to happen. Now Germany is threatening to cancel Nord 2, the will it be a bluff or a serious threat?

Russian bombers also patrolled the polish Ukrainian border today.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 19, 2021

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The Lou Bega concert going fine.

https://twitter.com/_6BPD_/status/1467573860186865665

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Why would the Russians invade the exact places and times the world press is already claiming they will?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It's what we'd least expect!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Well Nazis massed their troops on Soviet border and Soviet spies were accurately informing Stalin about their intentions and Hitler had written a best seller about his desire to grab living space from Russia and wipe out communism, naturally it became as a complete shock when they crossed the border.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Fundamentally there's no good way to sneakily deploy a gigantic army with all the logistics poo poo and field hospitals and gigantic stashes of fuel and ammo

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Well Nazis massed their troops on Soviet border and Soviet spies were accurately informing Stalin about their intentions and Hitler had written a best seller about his desire to grab living space from Russia and wipe out communism, naturally it became as a complete shock when they crossed the border.

"Hitler couldn't possibly be that stupid" is close to what Stalin said if I recall my history correctly

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Nenonen posted:

Woah woah WOAH, slow your roll there, buddy. Are you saying Putin is going to commit the Holocaust? It's disrespectful of Hitler's victims to allude to his actions in any way when trying to explain current events. Surely we can find other historic comparisons for Putin's revanchist belligerence with less emotional baggage than Hitler.

In case it's not clear, I'm highlighting the silliness of those ITT who conflate any comparison to Nazi belligerence with saying that Putin is literally Hitler, at the same time as they argue that Putin should be allowed to subjugate Ukraine.

aphid_licker posted:

Fundamentally there's no good way to sneakily deploy a gigantic army with all the logistics poo poo and field hospitals and gigantic stashes of fuel and ammo
What about underground??? Checkmate, NATO-ite!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Al-Saqr posted:

Why would the Russians invade the exact places and times the world press is already claiming they will?

Exact probably won't happen, but if Ukrainian intel (or whatever other source they have for that) is good, and an invasion actually happens, the dates and locations likely will not differ all that much: when you have this many forces deployed, with a large number of support assets, and you're operating on a front this large, and against fortifications and urban centres, you will have a large supply and support footprint and a pressing need for good coordination. This is not something that can be changed on a whim; once an army is committed, it's not easy to suddenly reboot it for a new plan. You can make small changes that have no impact on neighbouring units, you can move things to later dates (but keeping soldiers battle-ready for weeks or months costs money, so there's a limit to that), but that's about it.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

"Hitler couldn't possibly be that stupid" is close to what Stalin said if I recall my history correctly

"It's fine, send him some more oil"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

What about underground??? Checkmate, NATO-ite!

But then you would have to fight the Hollow Earth NATO to get through.