Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Apologize to your wife, but never apologize to the sister or mom, and see if you can work up a deal where you don't have to be around her, in advance.

If you don't talk it out now, it makes you the rear end in a top hat the next time there's some event and you try to get out of it. You and your wife need to have a mutual understanding that it does no one any good to put you in proximity to her sister

You can smell the family dynamic of mom always favoring lovely sister, and the wife always playing peacemaker, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for getting my mother in law maple syrup for her birthday?

quote:

Over thanksgiving, my MIL came over as well as a bunch of other family members. For context, I don’t like my MIL. she’s rude, and I just find her annoying. She makes unnecessary comments and has a stick up her rear end. My siblings and their kids were there, etc. My family has always had a pretty late thanksgiving dinner, by late I mean like a normal dinner time, but I know a lot of people like to eat super early on Thanksgiving. Anyways, one thing we always do is have a nice breakfast with these super yummy honey crepes. It’s a family recipe, we have a whole bunch of toppings, as well as honey.

Now, I don’t keep maple syrup at my house simply because I don’t like it. My mother in law sits down to eat and asks me if I have any maple syrup for her crepes. I apologize and tell her that we don’t have any, but we do have honey as well as fruit, whipped cream, powdered sugar, etc. for her crepes. She would not shut up about the lack of maple syrup. Her comments about it went on all day long. My husband kept giving me apologetic looks and I honestly thought the situation was comical. Like, relax lady.

She teased me about it when she left that night saying that I better have maple syrup next time she’s over. She was “joking” but not really joking lmao. Her birthday was earlier this week. I decided I would get her a really nice bottle of maple syrup. This shits actually pretty expensive and comes in a lovely bottle. I also am a bit of a sarcastic person and thought it would be pretty funny. I gifted it to her with a card. She did not appreciate it. She told me that I was selfish and petty and that I should really grow up as my generation has no respect for their elders. Whatever, ma! I don’t think I did anything wrong. She came to my house first and complained all day so I gave her what she was so apparently lacking at my house. AITA?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Evil Willow posted:

She gets an awesome gift that's exactly what she wants and decides to be disrespected anyways. gently caress that bitch

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Yes you're an rear end in a top hat. Continuing a feud is a thing assholes do. Almost certainly even from the limited info we have mil is far worse, but you don't gotta hold on to every petty grievance.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

ikanreed posted:

Yes you're an rear end in a top hat. Continuing a feud is a thing assholes do. Almost certainly even from the limited info we have mil is far worse, but you don't gotta hold on to every petty grievance.

Someone being an rear end in a top hat to you is not a feud.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Grape posted:

Someone being an rear end in a top hat to you is not a feud.

No, a feud is when you take something someone else did to you, and you use it as a basis for another aggressive (or in this case passive aggressive) act.

This thread lives and breathes for assholes getting their comeuppance, but a lot of it just seems to be people who can never let slights go and must escalate or perpetuate.

And shut the gently caress up, I hear you assholes calling that being a doormat already. You know there's a difference. Standing up for yourself and getting really petty revenge aren't the same thing.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for telling a co-worker to shut the gently caress up for making fun of my stutter?

quote:

Ok so I've never made a post like this before so I'm sorry if things seem out of place.

I have a stutter that i've dealt with since i can remember, it was a lot worse when i was younger and i've learned to really control it since then (lots of breathing techniques, mindfulness, ETC.) and for the most part you wouldn't really notice i have one, until the rare chance where i stutter or hang on a word for longer than most people would.

These can lead to some moments that range from incredibly funny, to horribly awkward. Example would be trying to say thank you to someone, and hanging on the "Th" in thank you for 5 seconds and looking like I'm making a weird rear end face, or stuttering on a hard "G" word and sounding like I'm about to drop a hot beat.

Anyways, today I was helping out a new guy at work by showing how to operate some of the machinery we use and i happened to stutter on a hard "G" word and he made the joke everyone makes when they first hear me stutter. (He will be NG for New Guy)

NG: "T-t-today junior!"

I let it go because quite literally everybody ever always makes that same joke. I always let it go the first time but make it obvious I don't find it very funny by giving people a straight faced single monotoned "Hah". We move on from that and everything is fine, I continue explaining a few things and I happen to stutter again, and he makes the same loving joke.

NG: "T-t-today junior!"

Me: "Good one, here's another. S-S-Shut the gently caress up and G-G-Get a new loving joke."

NG: "Woah sorry dude i was just joking around! You don't have to get so serious its not like i was making fun of you."

Me: "I dont care, i didn't find it funny the first time i don't find it funny now. Stay here and ill get someone else to show this to you."

After i said that i left, went and got my supervisor and asked them to explain the machine to the new guy, and went on to explain why and what happened. He asked me if we should re think his hiring and i declined because I didn't want to risk this guy losing a job over a stupid joke, even if it really is a stupid loving joke.

But yeah thats it i guess. Am i the rear end in a top hat for telling him to shut the gently caress up? Or was i in the right? and could i have handled this better?

TL;DR New guy said "T-t-today junior" and i told him to "S-s-shut the gently caress up".

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hope the hiring manager makes the correct executive decision there

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

ikanreed posted:

No, a feud is when you take something someone else did to you, and you use it as a basis for another aggressive (or in this case passive aggressive) act.

This thread lives and breathes for assholes getting their comeuppance, but a lot of it just seems to be people who can never let slights go and must escalate or perpetuate.

And shut the gently caress up, I hear you assholes calling that being a doormat already. You know there's a difference. Standing up for yourself and getting really petty revenge aren't the same thing.

Well I wasn't going to say anything.

But yeah you're a doormat lol.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for telling a co-worker to shut the gently caress up for making fun of my stutter?

NG: "Woah sorry dude i was just joking around! You don't have to get so serious its not like i was making fun of you."

Literally what he was doing.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

ikanreed posted:

Abloo bloo, someone got a gift that was materialistically beneficial while still being harmlessly clever enough to make fun of how ridiculously fussy they were. Guess the other person is an rear end in a top hat.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

ikanreed posted:

Lmao

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Evil Willow posted:

Respect is earned, finicky hag

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Dazerbeams posted:

Abloo bloo, someone got a gift that was materialistically beneficial while still being harmlessly clever enough to make fun of how ridiculously fussy they were. Guess the other person is an rear end in a top hat.

I was gonna say, is this still about getting syrup?

dog nougat posted:

I want someone to gift me fancy-rear end maple syrup. That poo poo's expensive.

loving empty quote, gimme syrup

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 18, 2021

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I want someone to gift me fancy-rear end maple syrup. That poo poo's expensive.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, we're going to stop with this "Guess the Slur" game that some of you seem to love playing every few days. And no, putting it behind a spoiler bar doesn't mean you somehow didn't participate.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, we're going to stop with this "Guess the Slur" game that some of you seem to love playing every few days. And no, putting it behind a spoiler bar doesn't mean you somehow didn't participate.

*sadly erases bullet-pointed list of slurs*

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Brawnfire posted:

I was gonna say, is this still about getting syrup?

It's about goons in the relationship thread being petty people who will constantly suggest the most destructive response to everything that offends, rather than forthrightedly speaking about your concerns, and then cutting people who continue to mistreat you out of your life.

It reads a lot like people who are afraid of confrontation cheering for victory against the people they won't just talk to by proxy.

Like it's pretty obvious that this mother in law in an entitled, rude guest who may be narcissistic.

What does a passive aggressive gift do to resolve that? Zip, zilch, nada. It's just a dick move to make yourself feel better about being mistreated.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was gonna make a joke about that ethnic group in france we have record of people trying to persecute but we have no record of what like, uh, defined them or made the different than other French people so we have no record of whether they actually got persecuted much less if they even existed since we have not attestations of them other than screeds saying "I hate those guys"' but I can't for the life of me remember their name so now I guess I'm hoping somebody can tell me in this thread.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Foo Diddley posted:

*sadly erases bullet-pointed list of slurs*

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Barudak posted:

I was gonna make a joke about that ethnic group in france we have record of people trying to persecute but we have no record of what like, uh, defined them or made the different than other French people so we have no record of whether they actually got persecuted much less if they even existed since we have not attestations of them other than screeds saying "I hate those guys"' but I can't for the life of me remember their name so now I guess I'm hoping somebody can tell me in this thread.

Cagots

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pope Corky the IX posted:

drat, I was waiting for the bonus round of "Wheel of Slurs"

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

fr*gs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thank you!!!

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

In addition to what's been offered, you know in anime where the woman who is an adult will do like a "cute" voice and sound whiny like a baby and say "tan" for "chan" to her boyfriend? Or like in western media where an adult woman will do the betty boop voice and pronounce Rs as Ws to sound like a little girl? It's that poo poo.

I had one ex-gf who sometimes did that and I hated it. When she was sad she would sometimes also still sit in her mother's lap (she lived at home with her parents). She was 23 and almost 6' tall.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

rigging up some nightmare panopticon inside your own house like you're a fuckin SCP is insane poo poo. realizing what you've done and removing all that garbage posthaste is a brief stroke of sanity

Hope you don't own a cellphone.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for snitching on my stepdad to his ex wife which basically ruined Christmas for him and my mom

than said the only reason she hates him so much is because even he as (m slur) looks down at her

loving legendary burn, god drat. She was burned so hard she was incandescent enough to light up the Marianas trench.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Barudak posted:

Jews

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for snitching on my stepdad to his ex wife which basically ruined Christmas for him and my mom

the "my stepdad flirts with anything in a skirt" part of the story reminded me of this PBF:

https://pbfcomics.com/comics/bully/

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve noticed that this thread has become a bit more hostile than our overall flippancy. Sometimes negative emotions are warranted, as some of these topics are pretty intense.

HOWEVER, we need to have some semblance of control here, regarding the thread and the participants.

I will cop to being a lovely IK the past few days, as I’ve travelled to my moms and dealing with family things, holiday things, and so on. Hell, even my anger has spiked by being back in the US (been here for three days and have been outwardly aggressive to those smugly ignoring the mask mandate, also lovely slow drivers WHO CANT USE A loving SIGNAL HOLY poo poo YOU HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY). I thank my amazing, fantastic co-IK for picking up the slack, and if I get my lazy rear end westward I should buy them a drink.

anyway

Let’s cool it a bit in here. We don’t need to be at everyone’s throats, especially for something like this.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Barudak posted:

Thank you!!!

Np, I'm pretty interested in them as a group; having an example of an oppressed minority group we can't explain just lays bare how arbitrary all our outgroupings and underclassings are

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dazerbeams posted:

extremely correct take

people aren't cheering because someone incinerated their bridges with an orbital nuke. it's a legitimately good gift idea and people are cheering at the OP's cleverness in giving a thoughtful funny gift that would only be taken as an :iceburn: by the most absolutely unreasonable people.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

ikanreed posted:

Wrong! OP owns

ikanreed posted:

Advocate being a doormat, but aggressively

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

This OP is pretty cool. Hope he gets out of that lovely house.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for going after my child's school?

gently caress that sub and gently caress the principal.

The husband is also a completely spineless coward.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

As everybody is pointing out, the evil stepteacher almost certainly destroyed the necklace. And OP says it's irreplaceable because it was blessed by all her family members, some of whom are now dead. :(

I am horrified that the principal backed the teacher up. Not necessarily surprised, but horrified.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

ikanreed posted:

It's about goons in the relationship thread being petty people who will constantly suggest the most destructive response to everything that offends, rather than forthrightedly speaking about your concerns, and then cutting people who continue to mistreat you out of your life.

It reads a lot like people who are afraid of confrontation cheering for victory against the people they won't just talk to by proxy.

Like it's pretty obvious that this mother in law in an entitled, rude guest who may be narcissistic.

What does a passive aggressive gift do to resolve that? Zip, zilch, nada. It's just a dick move to make yourself feel better about being mistreated.

Have you personally dealt with people like the MIL? She’s the kind of person that can sit through a forthright discussion a million times and never change. And just lol at suggesting you go low contact over something so minor. She’s obnoxious as hell but definitely not estrangement worthy. Getting a few dunks in is just about all OP can do to cope.

Credulous Skeptic
Oct 31, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

I'm going with midget

Is it really necessary to play Guess the Slur?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Hughlander posted:

Oh hey stupid derails you say?

AITA Told my wife I’d rather be glued to my phone over being glued to her

You chose... poorly

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
High road mockery is a fine art.

Getting someone a genuinely nice present to tell them they're an rear end in a top hat and just making them look like a bigger rear end in a top hat if they dare find fault with it is the perfect way to deal with a person with whom you cannot reasonably sever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

That was a really bad probe, given that the person they were arguing with is seriously calling the guy breaking spy cameras domestic violence.