Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

We forgot the SteamWorld series! All of them are cheap, fun and charming as hell.

SteamWorld Dig: 2D exploration game in the style of Motherload

SteamWorld Dig 2: more of the same, but bigger with more metroidvania elements

SteamWorld Heist: 2d turn based strategy xcom style

SteamWorld Quest: Deck building RPG

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

beer gas canister posted:

Dragon Quest XI - worth it even if you don't like JRPGs, it's transcendent

:yeah:

flavor.flv posted:

Mario Odyssey is my favourite game of all time and it literally made me cry a little bit at one point

:yeah:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

flavor.flv posted:

We forgot the SteamWorld series! All of them are cheap, fun and charming as hell.

SteamWorld Dig: 2D exploration game in the style of Motherload

SteamWorld Dig 2: more of the same, but bigger with more metroidvania elements

SteamWorld Heist: 2d turn based strategy xcom style

SteamWorld Quest: Deck building RPG

Oh YEAH this too

They're all great but I really found Heist to be special and really, really good

I need to replay that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Bloop posted:

Oh YEAH this too

They're all great but I really found Heist to be special and really, really good

I need to replay that.

I've only played Heist, but I fuckin love it. Forgot I owned it, so I'll have to go back and finish it.

Trick shots are too addictive.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Steamworld Dig 1 is a fun little game that you can easily beat in a day and worth checking out, but Dig 2 improves on everything massively and is an all time classic indie game imo, I can't recommend it highly enough

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd almost say 1 is bad, especially compared to 2. I can only really recommend 1 if you loved 2 and want to see what its skeleton looked like.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

I'd almost say 1 is bad, especially compared to 2. I can only really recommend 1 if you loved 2 and want to see what its skeleton looked like.

Nah, 1 is good but it's pretty much a demo. If you do intend on playing it you need to do it before 2, it's hard to go back without the right mindset.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Wasn't dig 1 initially released as a dsi downloadable title, one of the first?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I actually was only able to enjoy 1 after I'd played 2 because 2 helped me "get" it so I could appreciate what 1 had been going for even though it wasn't as good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I played 1 first because it was cheap as all gently caress and I wanted to see what all the hype was

Then I played every Steamworld game almost back to back

So yeah, it's good (also plot relevant to 2 if you care about that, not that there's much plot)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I bought Monster Sanctuary on thread recommendations. I’m excited to check it out. It’s been on my wishlist for awhile but I never really
looked into it very much. Here goes!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's a part in Dig 2 where you end up in the final area from Dig 1, and it's a really cool moment doesn't land if you haven't played the first one

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Okay. Let me be the first to say Metroid: Dread was AWESOME!!!!!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Agreed, cheeseboy58.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

cheeseboy58 posted:

Okay. Let me be the first to say Metroid: Dread was AWESOME!!!!!

Heck yea! I finished it yesterday! I’m thinking about giving it another go on hard.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Remember when the Switch first came out and people thought there were not going to be any worthwhile games outside of Zelda LMAO

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It launched with Shovel Knight and Snipperclips so they were already wrong.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Remember when the Switch first came out and people thought there were not going to be any worthwhile games outside of Zelda LMAO

I thought mario kart 8 was a launch title

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Lastdancer posted:

Posting to remind myself to go back to this page when I get home and put everyone's recommendations into the OP. I wanna like pro post the whole page, lots of good stuff.

I saw this, took a peek at my library and realized no one ever talks about/recommends Bayonetta 2 -- possibly the best action ever made -- so I'll go ahead and throw my hat in for that. Did everyone Platinum the game when I wasn't looking?

The first Bayonetta is also very, very good, but I feel like the sequel improves on almost everything so it's kind of hard to go back for me. Definitely worth a quick playthrough, though, especially if you want the plot to make any sense at all (you might not).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sequel has fewer aggravating minigames but is significantly diminished by nagging, intrusive companion characters, including possibly the single worst character in platinum history

final boss is also much much worse in terms of spectacle

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
To be honest, I don't think the first's final boss can be topped by anything.

The rest is fair, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've never been anything but Maximum Mad at loki's existence and appreciate how everyone else involved in the conversation just sighs and agrees

that little poo poo has nobody in his corner

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
People were like "The switch will have no games" as if you need more then Smash Ultimate and Breath of the Wild??? and odyssey I gues.

And then they dropped Dread, SMT IV, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter Rise all just like solid 10/10 games.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Sometimes I'm genuinely curious how some of you go through games so quickly. I still have an unplayed copy of Baten Kaitos 2 somewhere I keep meaning to get to.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thunder Bear posted:

Sometimes I'm genuinely curious how some of you go through games so quickly. I still have an unplayed copy of Baten Kaitos 2 somewhere I keep meaning to get to.

Be a teacher. Ok, I actually work a ton, but I still have a lot of free time. Essentially its 6 weeks of giving it my all, hardly touching my Switch aside from a bit before I go to bed to binging hard during 2 weeks of break where I don't do much work at all.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Thunder Bear posted:

Sometimes I'm genuinely curious how some of you go through games so quickly.

I have no meaningful relationships or life prospects

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Thunder Bear posted:

I’ve lived in a global pandemic for 2 years

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Inzombiac posted:

I looked it up after wondering the same and, while 2 has some performance issues, 3 is hot poop from a butt.

That seems to be my take as well. Torchlight 2 for $5 is pretty good IMO.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Papes posted:

I’ve lived in a global pandemic for 2 years

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m not really sure what use these codes for Splatoon 2 clothes would be to anyone since if you play online, you likely already have them but here ya go thread:

B14D3F0317BJRCP2
C0YNQP910MP610XC
C0YNQP92KJR185NW
C0YNQP93L81QKXDJ
C0YNQP94NGJFMQBF
C0YNQP952TT06G62
C0YNQP9636HD4Q5J
C0YNQP97JV3N1J1M

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
How did Legend of Mana Remaster turn out? It’s down to $20 on the eShop.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Thunder Bear posted:

I work in the coffee industry and almost everyone I know has moved out of town, which really frees up my evenings.

I just bought Blasphemous, it was too cheap to pass up. What's the best early game approach? Can I just explore in any given direction?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ragequit posted:

How did Legend of Mana Remaster turn out? It’s down to $20 on the eShop.

It's a pretty solid update on the original. It's still as esoteric and nonsensical, but the revamped soundtrack is even more amazing, the new translation is solid, and the encounters toggle is a wonderful addition.

If you love the original, the remaster is worth it for $20. If you've never played the original, look into it first, as it's a very weird game with a bigger focus on world-building without much of a central narrative. It's basically SaGa meets Mana but with beat-em-up gameplay.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I bought my switch with Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 and BotW and that sustained me for months and months. I think the first 'indie' games I put significant time into were Into the Breach and Stardew Valley.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

people are dumb who knew

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 22, 2021

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Has anyone tried out the Monster Rancher game ? Was thinking of picking it on switch, but I saw it was on pc too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

fit em all up in there posted:

Has anyone tried out the Monster Rancher game ? Was thinking of picking it on switch, but I saw it was on pc too.

I’ve been playing it, it’s pretty fun. It’s basically just a straight port of the PS1 games with some minor QoL changes, but I think the game still holds up pretty well if you’re in the mood for it. There’s no differences between the switch and pc version that I know of.