Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
See, the problem with that is if I got cable I'd still keep half of the streaming services anyway. It's just far easier to pirate what I don't have until the NBA let's me give them money to not blackout anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Oh, Bally Sports will let you stream in-market games, but at a price you wouldn't dare pay.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If YouTube loses Disney it might actually save money to subscribe to ESPN+ even if I keep YouTube because they’re dropping to $50 and ESPN+ is only $7. Anybody have any thoughts on ESPN+ as a streaming platform? Is it pretty smooth?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Henchman of Santa posted:

If YouTube loses Disney it might actually save money to subscribe to ESPN+ even if I keep YouTube because they’re dropping to $50 and ESPN+ is only $7. Anybody have any thoughts on ESPN+ as a streaming platform? Is it pretty smooth?

It's quality sucks during high-demand games.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it's been pretty rough when you're watching a really popular event. If it's just day-to-day stuff it's not bad.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Kibner posted:

You got the Birmingham Squadron GLeague team now and those games are all streamed for free! Hayes, Murphy, and Alverdao will all be playing for them again tonight.
That's a good suggestion, I should make a point to catch more of that. Forgot Jared Harper was still with them too, love that guy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That's a good suggestion, I should make a point to catch more of that. Forgot Jared Harper was still with them too, love that guy.

Yeah! Harper is playing basically every GLeague game and is their leading scorer, iirc.

e: their schedule: https://birmingham.gleague.nba.com/schedule/

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sure, if you're only interested in out of market teams. Quality isn't great all the time.

I was not able to get around the in market restrictions by using a VPN. So I cancelled.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1471548457022365697?s=21

New Fumble Dimension let’s goooo

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Edward Mass posted:

:same: Getting HBO Max included with a modest cable package is a better deal than you think, what with all the sports I watch.

e: For reference, I cross-referenced all the channels I would need to have, and the result was that I would need Fubo AND DirecTV Stream. Hard pass.

that's always been my problem, between my wife and i we watch just enough of a weird spread that we need ("need") weird packages and extra subs

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

get the slime cannons ready mother fuckers because the Nickelodeon game is BACK :frogc00l:

CBS/Viacom posted:

CBS Sports and Nickelodeon unveiled today the announce team for the special slime-filled presentation of the National Football League’s Super Wild Card Weekend game on Sunday, Jan. 16, at 4:30 p.m. (ET). Following the success of last season’s Sports Emmy Award-winning production, the NFL Wild Card Game on Nickelodeon returns with CBS Sports’ analyst and former NFL star Nate Burleson, play-by-play announcer Noah Eagle and Nick star Gabrielle Nevaeh Green (That Girl Lay Lay, All That) reprising their roles in the booth, while Nick star Young Dylan (Dylan Gilmer, Tyler Perry’s Young Dylan) makes his sideline reporting debut.

The NFL Wild Card Game on Nickelodeon will showcase one-of-a-kind kid-focused content and Nick-themed elements throughout, including a special halftime presentation, guest reporters, original on-field graphics, virtual filters, and more for kids and families.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Keep in mind that ESPN+ does not mean you get to see everything on ESPN. It's just for stuff that explicitly is shown on ESPN+. It does seem to have every NHL game (not in your market), and a lot of soccer. It's good if you're a fan of lower level college teams too because ESPN will shove a lot of its less popular games onto there. You're going to be able to watch like every Rhode Island game if you want.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

Keep in mind that ESPN+ does not mean you get to see everything on ESPN. It's just for stuff that explicitly is shown on ESPN+. It does seem to have every NHL game (not in your market), and a lot of soccer. It's good if you're a fan of lower level college teams too because ESPN will shove a lot of its less popular games onto there. You're going to be able to watch like every Rhode Island game if you want.

Well I always have my parents’ cable login and poo poo for regular ESPN but I was hoping I could get everything in one place. There’s not really much ESPN+ exclusive content that appeals to me.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

DJExile posted:

get the slime cannons ready mother fuckers because the Nickelodeon game is BACK :frogc00l:

That poo poo was hilarious last year and hopefully this time the game is worthy of it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fartknocker posted:

That poo poo was hilarious last year and hopefully this time the game is worthy of it.

It was honestly one of the most fun things I've seen in sports broadcasts in ages.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Well I always have my parents’ cable login and poo poo for regular ESPN but I was hoping I could get everything in one place. There’s not really much ESPN+ exclusive content that appeals to me.

Oh if you have a cable login then I think you can watch everything on ESPN+ then.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

It was honestly one of the most fun things I've seen in sports broadcasts in ages.

They definitely drew in new viewers. My wife doesn't care about sports in any way, shape, or form, but she watched the entire game and then asked if they were doing more Nick games for the playoffs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/JamPackard/status/1471670599227523072

lol Wilbon

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I only use it for soccer and F1 but ESPN+ is so much better than the competing offerings from Paramount, NBC and whatever garbage BeIN is making GBS threads out these days. There always seems to be some low level UFC stuff on as well if you're in to that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The only real problem with espn+ is the lack of archival stuff, I think you can only go back a week or something. Otherwise it's incredibly easy to use.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bird in a Blender posted:

Oh if you have a cable login then I think you can watch everything on ESPN+ then.

Nope! ESPN+ is strictly OTT, cable logins be damned.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There are things that ESPN has that are labeled as ESPN 3 on the ESPN app that you get with a cable subscription. They've moved almost everything over to ESPN+ but there are still some college football/basketball available.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

Nope! ESPN+ is strictly OTT, cable logins be damned.

It is? When I load up ESPN+ it will show what is airing on ESPN and ESPN2, but I can’t watch it without a TV subscription. So I figured you could access that stuff if you have cable.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah it’s pretty confusing because it’s all just lumped into the same app. But yes, with a cable login you can watch the ESPN/ESPN2 stuff but not the ESPN+ stuff. And vice versa, if you have ESPN+ but not a cable login, you can watch everything except the stuff airing on ESPN/ESPN2 (though it’s kinda weird, if there’s like a big game, you can’t watch the main feed but you can watch like the skycam).

But the only way to watch everything in the ESPN app is to have a cable login AND an ESPN+ subscription.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ah yea, I think I confused it all because I said ESPN+, when I really meant you can watch it on the ESPN app. The app covers everything, but limits what you can see based on various subscriptions.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
and sometimes, even when you're logged into your cable provider, it'll tell you that you can't watch ESPN/2/ABC content because it's "not part of your TV package"

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

mactheknife posted:

and sometimes, even when you're logged into your cable provider, it'll tell you that you can't watch ESPN/2/ABC content because it's "not part of your TV package"

The blackout rules still apply - I can't watch some local games on ESPN because they're blacked out and carried on a local channel in my area.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It also frequently buries ESPN/ABC content under Serie A, UFC, and other ESPN+ exclusive content.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/YouTubeTV/status/1472076067326156803

They literally pulled the plug in the middle of a Lakers game

Also lol

https://twitter.com/BrokenNickMan16/status/1472077975004725248

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Honestly most devastated that I can’t watch Jeopardy now because it’s on a local ABC affiliate. I guess I’ll just switch to Hulu live because it’s the same price that YTTV was.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 18, 2021

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Honestly most devastated that I can’t watch Jeopardy now because it’s on a local ABC affiliate. I guess I’ll just switch to Hulu live because it’s the same price that YTTV was.

Can you pick it up OTA? I got a cheap flat antenna for Jeopardy, but I live in a city with strong OTA signals, and my TV handles digital cable like a champ. Sometimes football games come through in higher fidelity than streaming online.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Can you pick it up OTA? I got a cheap flat antenna for Jeopardy, but I live in a city with strong OTA signals, and my TV handles digital cable like a champ. Sometimes football games come through in higher fidelity than streaming online.

I record a bunch and then watch them with my partner later.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

I record a bunch and then watch them with my partner later.

That’s nice :3:

My parents used to DVR them so we could skip the commercials.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

OTA works great for sports. I don't have a 4K TV so on a regular HD games come through better than they do from cable and way better than Hulu.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/nocontextcfb/status/1472381804367675393

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

PotatoJudge posted:

OTA works great for sports. I don't have a 4K TV so on a regular HD games come through better than they do from cable and way better than Hulu.

This is usually true even with a 4k TV.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The big exception is Fox, who’s OTA compression sucks. If I can, I try to watch Fox stuff on the Fox Sports app and it’s usually in 4K. Looks way better than OTA.

NBC and CBS OTA look great though.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/YouTubeTV/status/1472657141789904899

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/globechadfinn/status/1473156662592692232?s=21

Dish has dropped NESN, the last RSN they carried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Are there any details on the Youtube/Disney deal? Wonder if either caved, or they just went back to the old price.

I'm not the best predictor of the future, but if I had to guess, we're eventually going to have everything streaming direct. Cable tv, and their streaming equivalents may end up dead as every network prepares their own independent streaming service. We will end up with a true a la carte system where you end up subscribing to like 7 different streaming services to get the movies, TV, and sports that you want to watch.