Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lmfao I was wondering why we hadn't had a jimmy pesto episide in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

so im watching licorice pizza and i would think the scene where a character is applying yellowface would set off bigger discourse alarm bells than the guy being a racist blowhard but i can never tell what offends these people or if they even watch any of the movies they claim to be mad about

They don't

Though I suspect they don't want to condemn yellowface and cut off a potential escape route of grift

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

When Sam Seder opens his mouth, Hugo speaks.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
is muaddib time where you are too much of a wuss to put the trout on the skin and wont do poo poo about kralizec :sad:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
witcher is good

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
it's ok. I didn't read the books but a lot of stuff felt really off character compared to what I know. I liked season 1 better.

Bear Retrieval Unit has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Dec 18, 2021

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
It has a higher budget now and Henry cavill gets to chop monsters and brood. Everything I ever wanted.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW_qXIHtmTk

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

witcher:

everything looks great compared to last season, yay budget

but where are the corny rear end jokes? all the camp is gone

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

i say swears online posted:

witcher:

"It’s like ordering a pie and finding it has no filling." was my favorite line out of the first season.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

witcher:

this is my review so far as well. I’m only on ep 3 but it seems very humorless and takes itself more seriously compared to the first season. this poo poo is supposed to be fun, where’s the fun

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I just rewatched the first season before I start the second. If the camp is fully gone that's a bummer but it also doesn't always land in season 1 either. Most of the humor around Geralt was when he was still mostly a loner with Jaskier tagging along. It would make sense that early season 2 is a bit more serious since he's finally stepping into the surrogate dad role at least

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Dec 18, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah but surrogate dad daughter dynamics can be incredibly fun and campy, look at Wolverine and Rogue. or Wolverine and Kitty Pryde. or Wolverine and Jubilee.

some of the little moments of levity do come between Geralt and Ciri but idk it doesn’t feel like they’re exploiting it properly

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I feel like the obstacle course was too much of a focus for such low stakes, could have been handled differently

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’ve been thinking about it this morning for some reason and the absolute weakest part of the Sopranos is when Melfi decides to stop seeing Tony cause she read a Psych 101 textbook-level description of sociopaths

I feel like the obstacle course was too much of a focus for such low stakes, could have been handled differently

the best part of that scene was seeing all the macho witchers go from “she ain’t got the stuff” to “GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME GIRL YOU CAN DO THIS” over the course of like two cuts. I thought that was really cute and genuine, if predictable

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Keeping the pacing from the books was certainly not a good decision in the WOT show. Glad it's starting to pick up now though.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

6/8 episode seasons are bad, studios are so loving cheap

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

indigi posted:

this is my review so far as well. I’m only on ep 3 but it seems very humorless and takes itself more seriously compared to the first season. this poo poo is supposed to be fun, where’s the fun

isn't the online series done by the original writer of the books who hated the way the videos games portrayed geralt?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

it hurt WoT so much. the show absolutely has potential

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lady Militant posted:

isn't the online series done by the original writer of the books who hated the way the videos games portrayed geralt?

I thought he was salty that he underestimated how much the games would make so he's gotten less royalties from it.

Which contrasts with the author of the Metro series, now why hasn't anyone tried adapting that yet? I'd watch a Metro Netflix series

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Lady Militant posted:

idk I never read the books or played the games

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

indigi posted:

I'm pretty grumpy that the final season of The Expanse didn't end with a longer 10-13 episode season to give it better closure.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

etalian posted:

I'm pretty grumpy that the final season of The Expanse didn't end with a longer 10-13 episode season to give it better closure.

I read a couple interviews about the final season and the show runners seemed to believe they’ll get picked up to do the final three books at some point, maybe by a different studio. seems like a long shot at this point unless they somehow have holding deals with the cast already

e: then again everyone thought Bosch was gonna be finished too and Amazon changed their mind on that so who knows. but Bosch probably has a way lower production cost so, i reiterate, who knows.

indigi has issued a correction as of 21:10 on Dec 18, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh I saw The Harder They Fall the other day that movie loving rips top to bottom

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Watched the first two episodes of The Witcher last night as well. So far both episodes have featured scenes of Geralt drinking and hanging out with people and then later killing a monster. 10/10. Completely forgot what’s going on with Yen.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The new season of the Witcher rules. They got new monsters for Geralt to fight.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

I’ve been thinking about it this morning for some reason and the absolute weakest part of the Sopranos is when Melfi decides to stop seeing Tony cause she read a Psych 101 textbook-level description of sociopaths

the last season of the sopranos is really bad

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

henry cavill continues to be insanely hot :stwoon:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Eric Cantonese posted:

Call Me by Your Name (Which Is a Killing Word)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pogi posted:

henry cavill continues to be insanely hot :stwoon:

Lol has he hides out in a man cave playing warhammer total war and Witcher 3

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

thatfatkid posted:

the last season of the sopranos is really bad

Nothing after season 2 works because Tony prevaricates for hours on how to solve a problem and then chooses the exact same answer every time: murder

Livia was the true antagonist that made the show compelling

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
the dr melfi stuff wore thin pretty fast. the sopranos is popular nowadays because it's basically a hangout show

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Ay gabagool ova hee

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

etalian posted:

Lol has he hides out in a man cave playing warhammer total war and Witcher 3

It's hilarious how open he is about this while simultaneously looking like a Greek statue come to life

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

etalian posted:

wait is the final season out? drat, i gotta watch that. i havent heard much about it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

that's too bad. witcher s1 wasn't perfect, namely all the god awful time-skip splicing and time-jumps garbling it far more than it needed to, but henry cavill hamming it up and smirking over lame jokes was the best part

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

Call Me by Your Name (Which Is a Killing Word)

does anyone else think call me by your name is kind of weird and creepy looking back its basically indiana jones romancing whatshername from the first indiana jones movies but its the actual story instead of just backstory also its supposed to be romantic and also the parents think its kind of hot and are totally into it and also the aids crisis is going on so loving the grad student might have literally been a death sentence for the kid

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

does anyone else think call me by your name is kind of weird and creepy looking back its basically indiana jones romancing whatshername from the first indiana jones movies but its the actual story instead of just backstory also its supposed to be romantic and also the parents think its kind of hot and are totally into it and also the aids crisis is going on so loving the grad student might have literally been a death sentence for the kid

no, next question

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

pogi posted:

Completely forgot what’s going on with Yen.

yeah it took me a while to remember/figure out what happened, and I don’t really care about that plotline beyond an excuse to see her Yenning it up at people

Aglet56 posted:

the dr melfi stuff wore thin pretty fast. the sopranos is popular nowadays because it's basically a hangout show

it’s popular nowadays cause it’s hilarious and makes fun of thick-skulled Italian Americans. nobody wants to hang out with any of those people, except Meadow if she’d let you hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pogi posted:

Watched the first two episodes of The Witcher last night as well. So far both episodes have featured scenes of Geralt drinking and hanging out with people and then later killing a monster. 10/10. Completely forgot what’s going on with Yen.

It's the same sort sword and sandals fantasy cheesiness I liked in the first season 1.

No catchy ear worm song that going to make you curse watching the show.