Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
A Fallen Order 2 game, built with Unreal Engine 5 and learning the gameplay lessons from this game, could be a future classic. The score was excellent too, great dialogue and the end level cameo are so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Actually I still like it quite a bit, but its flaws stand out more since getting into other open world/melee oriented games. But yeah, an improved sequel would be great.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeh if y'all want some fun melee combat to check out almost anything here is gonna be better (dear phonepost pls embed right) :

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I they make a second Fallen Order, I'd like them to lean in harder to the Metroid Prime aspect and have more open-ended exploration. I think the game is kind of B-grade in most categories, but the whole 3D platforming exploration aspect is the one that stood out most to me. Especially since I'd give like the environmental design an A since it's just such a nice world to exist in.

They might also be able to figure out how to really pace a story next time around.

teh_Broseph posted:

Yeh if y'all want some fun melee combat to check out almost anything here is gonna be better (dear phonepost pls embed right) :

I get that whoever made this chart didn't get into the whole Souls style of combat, but why the hell are all the other Platinum games are here, but the Wonderful 101 isn't.

Also, Marlow Briggs? Really?

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

I got it through pc game pass and enjoyed my time with it, I feel it started falling apart by the end though, story- and design wise

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lack of fast travel/effective shortcuts and a 90% chance of the reward for exploration being a lightsaber part you can’t really see or a boring poncho are the major issues in Fallen Order. Major issues in an already completed game but I feel they are more easily solved than most in a sequel.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm still surprised they never patched in a fast travel system. Of all the game's problems, that seems like the most glaring QoL issue, I've seen so many complaints about it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

SlothfulCobra posted:

I they make a second Fallen Order, I'd like them to lean in harder to the Metroid Prime aspect and have more open-ended exploration. I think the game is kind of B-grade in most categories, but the whole 3D platforming exploration aspect is the one that stood out most to me. Especially since I'd give like the environmental design an A since it's just such a nice world to exist in.

They might also be able to figure out how to really pace a story next time around.

I get that whoever made this chart didn't get into the whole Souls style of combat, but why the hell are all the other Platinum games are here, but the Wonderful 101 isn't.

Also, Marlow Briggs? Really?

Cause I didn't have a good way to play W101 yet, but a Switch copy is waiting on my shelf! If you're gonna go really at Marlow Briggs, you should check out Tron Evolution and X-Blades :shrek:.

And yeah with all the art and world and IP and stuff, leaning more into the exploration side would prolly be an effort:benefit slam dunk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm still surprised they never patched in a fast travel system. Of all the game's problems, that seems like the most glaring QoL issue, I've seen so many complaints about it.

They have a lot of events that occur during backtracking that they'd probably be worried about breaking. They could also just disable fast travel during all those situations but still.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Another goon playing this on GamePass.

I think it's pretty drat good. Kinda wish we get a sidequel that takes place entirely on Bracca, that poo poo was cool.

Regarding the usually worthless exploration rewards, I bet the devs had a lightsaber/equipment upgrade system planned out at some point but had to scale back.

Where's my purple lightsaber. Where.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

anatomi posted:

Another goon playing this on GamePass.

I think it's pretty drat good. Kinda wish we get a sidequel that takes place entirely on Bracca, that poo poo was cool.

Regarding the usually worthless exploration rewards, I bet the devs had a lightsaber/equipment upgrade system planned out at some point but had to scale back.

Where's my purple lightsaber. Where.

You get to pick new colors late in the game. Purple, Yellow, a different shade of Blue, Pink (the best one) and Indigo.

There's also a Red saber which I think is NG+ only and an Orange which was preorder DLC/"Deluxe Edition"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Pink (the best one)

That's the problem with both the sabers and the ponchos, as soon as I get access to the pink ones I couldn't care less about any other cosmetic changes.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

GutBomb posted:

On the flip side this game was really fun and it was what finally got a few of my friends to finally try the souls games because they’d been convinced by memes that they were impossibly difficult.

I wanted it to be like this for me but it didn't do anything honestly, it just made me frustrated with all the backtracking and lack of fast travel to the save points.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thread's dead, but EA today confirmed another Jedi game is being made, alongside a Star Wars first person shooter also made by Respawn. No details on release date yet so far as I know.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Interested in both accounts. Especially another first person game, after replaying Titanfall 2 and remembering how fluid it felt in comparison to Fallen Order.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm looking forward to another Cal Kestis game, and maybe having figured out how the first game would be structured will mean that the sequel will be better-planned and fit together more tightly, although there's also good odds at people making a sequel just missing what people liked about the first game. I hope it's more metroid primey.

A shooter game could be just about anything, infinite possibility, but I do hate FPSes as a format, especially when you're exploring an area or telling a story about a character.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thread's dead, but EA today confirmed another Jedi game is being made, alongside a Star Wars first person shooter also made by Respawn. No details on release date yet so far as I know.

Also a strategy game by devs who worked on XCOM and Civilization.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Oddly low key announcement, but I guess we'll see more in May at Celebration.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

alongside a Star Wars first person shooter also made by Respawn.

Return Kyle Katarn to canon.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Skippy McPants posted:

Return Kyle Katarn to canon.

The Mandalorian finale surprise was cool and all but I was kinda marking out at the unsubstantiated rumors that it was going to be Katarn or Kal Kestis.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HLDaBGdnLc

Sequel announced as Star Wars Jedi: Survivor.

Five years after first game. Coming 2023.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Really can't wait for this. I played Fallen Order 3 times, the second time right after the first.

Just hope they make the maps more easily traversable with fast travel. I'm taking it Unreal Engine 5 is a given at this point.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Heck yeah can't wait for BD-2

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HLDaBGdnLc

Sequel announced as Star Wars Jedi: Survivor.

Five years after first game. Coming 2023.

Oh poo poo :woop:

Yeah, I think most of my gripes with the first one are stuff that feels like they'd smooth out in a sequel, I'm really looking forward to it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I'm excited! Like others I feel like the game worked great but had a few rough patches that would be easily sanded down for a sequel.

Am I supposed to know who the dude in the tank is? I think I recognize the bad guy as the main inquisitor dude who's in charge of all the "sisters"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

I'm excited! Like others I feel like the game worked great but had a few rough patches that would be easily sanded down for a sequel.

Am I supposed to know who the dude in the tank is? I think I recognize the bad guy as the main inquisitor dude who's in charge of all the "sisters"?

Watch it be Joruus C'baoth

Like unironically that is my guess. "Old-rear end dude found floating in a tank." Claims to be a lost Jedi Master, is actually his clone, goes bonkers, eventually Cal has to fight him and probably a clone of Cal himself. Get that bit into canon even if it doesn't involve Luke.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Hell yeah sounds great let's do it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Hm...old man claiming to be a Jedi you say," Cal says before promptly stabbing the tank with a lightsaber. "Been there, done that, met my girlfriend, had rocks thrown at my head by evil swole Santa. No thanks."

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
cool they going to rip off uncharted and souls some more and keep the bland protagonist?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dpulex posted:

cool they going to rip off uncharted and souls some more and keep the bland protagonist?

Kal isn't really bland. He's a nice and forthright guy which is actually vanishingly rare in these kinds of games.

He's no Kyle Katarn but who is?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Playable Cere and Merrin when

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
So many new ponchos :swoon:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This game will be a failure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I'd bet on Merrin but I can't believe Cere is going to make it through another game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

JBP posted:

This game will be a failure.

Nah, it's gonna own. Just like this one did.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

This game will be evaluated solely on the amount of Merrin content.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The main thing I didn't like about the game was the lack of cohesiveness in the story, and it's not easy to correct for that because it's more of an artistic complaint than a mechanical flaw, but I do think that they can make the rest of the game good regardless of whether they figure that out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

The main thing I didn't like about the game was the lack of cohesiveness in the story, and it's not easy to correct for that because it's more of an artistic complaint than a mechanical flaw, but I do think that they can make the rest of the game good regardless of whether they figure that out.

I think the amount of back tracking due to poor travel systems really hurt the flow of the story and thus its cohesiveness.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

StashAugustine posted:

I hope the devs take cues from players enjoying magic builds in Elden Ring and give Merrin a bunch of fun Force powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

PunkBoy posted:

I hope the devs take cues from players enjoying magic builds in Elden Ring and give Merrin a bunch of fun Force powers.

My pitch is that Cal is Sekiro (duelist with a focus in parrying) Merrin is Dark Souls (dodging and magic) and Cere is Bloodborne (trick weapon and offhand blaster)