Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

You're like, drat, that's a cool bird. Then you find out it sounds like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQCLKPZYemA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Cheers!

That guy was right outside my front door, he had two little chicklets running round - which also make the same sound, only higher pitched.

I love these dumb birds

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Their chicks are incredible adorable

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Speaking of which:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Stop you guys I can't handle this amount of cute in one morning

edit: for content I'll post a photo of their 3rd or 4th cousin from North America the Killdear:

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 25, 2021

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Raikyn posted:

Tui jumping around in a tree in the backyard

Tui by Marc, on Flickr

Shot, bro. :nz:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Dotson Diving Kite-0070 on Flickr

Dotson Short Eared Owl-9921 on Flickr

There's a long-eared owl in a park one county south of me that is getting mobbed by photographers. All these great photos are popping up but there's no way this will end well for the bird. So far my willpower is holding and I haven't gone down to see it yet.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Caught a cool candid moment at a popular birding area round me:
Just palin' around with a Trumpeter Swan

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Slotducks posted:

I've been watching too many crime shows because I immediately came up with this whole scene in my head of Detective Swan meeting his confidential informant to ask about who's bringing in black market bird seed.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

There is a staggering amount of "do not feed the birds you guys are doing more harm than good" signs along the trail and people still be dropping all sorts of seeds and nuts throughout. Maybe this crime fighting duo will get to the bottom of it!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Terrific!

Slotducks posted:

haha that's great!

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Got a sony FE 200-600 and took it out for a spin today:

Blue tit by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Great bird, Sorbus! I wonder if they get cold.

I went to one of my favorite birding spots in Arizona last weekend, so here's a bunch of pictures!

I love seeing the big water birds like pelicans!

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I finally got around to uploading some shots from May-Now to Flickr.

Fledgling Cardinal in the neighbor's yard

Northern Cardinal

Pine Hill Road Grasslands, Worcester County, MA - A great spot for spring and summer birding in Central Mass, breeding Grasshopper Sparrows & Prairie Wrblers.

Yellow Warbler

Warbling Vireo

Eastern Bluebird

Grasshopper Sparrow

Pelagic Birding Trip in MA/NH/ME Waters - Photography from a moving boat is hard.

Black Guillemot

Great Shearwater

Great Shearwater

Organized bird walk at Bear Creek Sanctuary in Saugus, MA

Blackpoll Warbler

Lesser Yellowlegs

Lesser Yellowlegs

Long-billed Dowitcher

Bobolink

Local rarity this Friday

Yellow-breasted Chat

Yellow-breasted Chat

Yellow-breasted Chat

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
DorianGravy I don't know how much the birds feel the cold but they definitely puff up when temperatures fall and spend time huddled together. I know that to keep their body heat up the birds need to eat a lot and for example a big portion of the kinglet population dies every winter.

There has been talks if feeding the birds with nuts, seeds and fat gives unfair advantage to tits that don't migrate vs flycatchers which compete for the same nesting areas but I don't have an opinion on that.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
A lot of great stuff lately!

I've posted several pics of this Norther Harrier, but I'm almost getting concerned about how comfortable she is with me. I almost feel if someone has fed her in the past? Once again the other day she landed 10 yards away from me. She was comfortable enough for me to even set my camera on the ground and take video (didn't have a tripod, and lol at hand holding 600mm for video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO4avbxhFw8&t=7s

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Jerm324 posted:

A lot of great stuff lately!

I've posted several pics of this Norther Harrier, but I'm almost getting concerned about how comfortable she is with me. I almost feel if someone has fed her in the past? Once again the other day she landed 10 yards away from me. She was comfortable enough for me to even set my camera on the ground and take video (didn't have a tripod, and lol at hand holding 600mm for video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO4avbxhFw8&t=7s

Incredible photo, but yeah it is concerning when a wild raptor lets you so close..

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

jarlywarly posted:

Incredible photo, but yeah it is concerning when a wild raptor lets you so close..

Eh. This guy was used to folks in his area, hikers and photographers, but he was never not aware and cautious. He was within 7 or 8 feet of me for a long time, but up on a sign, so out of reach.

Bold Bugger by B. B., on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
It is now cold enough here that bohemian waxwings and fieldfares come from the forests to eat the berries in the city, shot this yesterday on my lunch break.

Bohemian waxwing by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

jarlywarly posted:

It can vary a lot. I grew up making trips to see osprey nests at 200m then went to the Everglades, finding their nests in the corner of visitor carparks. Or goshawks, a rare and ulta elusive bird in the uk, is a human toleratant city park bird in Berlin. You get birds born in remote arctic circle locations that don't meet humans until they migrate south in the autumn and have to learn people are arseholes.

I think the question is what sort of behaviour is it exhibiting? Is it proactively and consistently seeking out humans over a period of time that points towards food seeking? Or it just tolerant of people so if it happens to fancy a particular perch, its going to land land on that perch, people be damned.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just keep in mind that sometimes the signs of distress can be subtle with some of these species. This has come up with the long-eared owl I mentioned a few posts up. They can look like they are going about their business as usual, but changing perches a lot moving their head around a lot, etc might mean they are actually agitated and aren't going to be as successful at hunting and eventually the bird will get weak or fly out into traffic or something. This is more for the 'crowd of photographers around a "compliant raptor"' issue but something to watch out for even if you are by yourself.

It's definitely great if you get to know the habits of your local individual birds so you know what's normal for them.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
She's moving her head around a bunch in the video I posted, but I'm not an expert on raptor behavior to tell if she's agitated or not. I'm not too worried about her on the eating front, she's got dried blood on her beak in the last photo I took and I've personally seen her successfully hunt several times:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

It can vary a lot. I grew up making trips to see osprey nests at 200m then went to the Everglades, finding their nests in the corner of visitor carparks. Or goshawks, a rare and ulta elusive bird in the uk, is a human toleratant city park bird in Berlin. You get birds born in remote arctic circle locations that don't meet humans until they migrate south in the autumn and have to learn people are arseholes.

I think the question is what sort of behaviour is it exhibiting? Is it proactively and consistently seeking out humans over a period of time that points towards food seeking? Or it just tolerant of people so if it happens to fancy a particular perch, its going to land land on that perch, people be damned.

I guess in the UK we have such a horrendous history and a still bad situation of raptor persecution (especially harriers) it just feels weirder to have a bird of prey be so apparently comfortable with humans.

I tend to only make trips to where owls etc are infrequently to avoid disturbing them.

My main concern is that someone else is baiting them, which can be devastating to a wild raptor.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I actually got some nice shots during one of my Christmas Bird Counts this weekend.

Pt Isabel Sharp Shinned Hawk b&w-0824 on Flickr

Albany Bulb Black Turnstone-0884 on Flickr

Albany Bulb Brown Pelican-1041 on Flickr

Albany Bulb Annas Hummingbird-1122 on Flickr

Albany Bulb Great Blue Heron-1223 on Flickr

Cordonices Creek Townsends Warbler-1306 on Flickr

Creekside Park Hairy Woodpecker-1333 on Flickr

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Sorbus posted:

It is now cold enough here that bohemian waxwings and fieldfares come from the forests to eat the berries in the city, shot this yesterday on my lunch break.

Bohemian waxwing by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr
Nice! I know they're around here too but I haven't seen them myself yet :smith:

I'm also on the hunt for some pine grosbeaks, they're going around the town in big flocks and eating all the rowan berries, but I've managed to miss those too.

I like these! The warbler is really cute and I have a soft spot for woodpeckers at work.

really like the environment here

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

really like the environment here

Rockport, WA. I would definitely recommend it.

The Steller’s Jays have been keeping me company while we’re snowed in.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

drat I want those guys to come where I live

We only get Blue Jays here. Not even Canadian Jays come down. This sucks >:(

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Blue Jays are just as cool as Steller’s if you’re not used to seeing them. If you only had scrub jays then you’d have an argument.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

All jays are beautiful.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yeah. I ha e about 100 Stellar's Jays in my yard this time of year. Beautiful, but the most timid birds around.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

This seems like a good time to post this dapper fellow from back in molting season. What a looker.

torgeaux posted:

Yeah. I ha e about 100 Stellar's Jays in my yard this time of year. Beautiful, but the most timid birds around.

That's funny, I didn't know that -- eastern US corvids are almost all quite aggressive and have no problem grabbing food from right under humans.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
That’s interesting. The Steller’s I’ve got are pretty bold around humans compared to most birds. Starlings and nuthatches would be the most obvious exceptions, they don’t give a gently caress. Most of the other birds are happy to eat our food but Steller’s are the only ones who come right up and wait for me to throw it to them.

None of the other big birds will stay in the yard if I’m around. Have to be stealthy to get a shot of any of the woodpeckers. Even the crows won’t come into the yard if I’m facing them.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The ones here (Rocky Mountains), fly away at the hint of human interest. My few good shots of them are from either effectively a hide, or sometimes when I've been sitting for 5 minutes or so reading without moving and they forget about me.

I used to shoot at a reservoir/park and those were the same. I'm interested to hear that they're not so shy. They're the only corvids I deal with (lots of American crow and ravens) that don't just warm up to me with regular feeding.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Weird, in my experience Steller’s Jays are pretty bold. At my wife’s family’s cabin in Tahoe they can be lured pretty close with food.

Speaking of Steller’s birds, I spent almost 6 hours in the car today to see the east coast Steller’s Sea Eagle. Too distant for good shots, but a couple of doc shots are on my eBird checklist.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S99764744

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

EPICAC posted:

Weird, in my experience Steller’s Jays are pretty bold. At my wife’s family’s cabin in Tahoe they can be lured pretty close with food.

Speaking of Steller’s birds, I spent almost 6 hours in the car today to see the east coast Steller’s Sea Eagle. Too distant for good shots, but a couple of doc shots are on my eBird checklist.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S99764744

It is odd, given your experience appears the norm. Here, the magpies, crow and Raven will just watch me, bored. The Jays instantly fly away. All the little yard birds could care less what I'm doing.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here (Bay Area CA) I wouldn’t say the steller’s are shy but they tend to be less bold than the Scrub Jays. They do have a knack for always having some sort of branch or twig between me and them so it’s harder to get a clean photo than it seems like it should be.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I will say that I spend a lot of time out on my patio with a few of the Steller’s that live right here. And I can tell which are visitors be used they’re more skittish and some will refuse to go into the yard solo if I’m too close.

Smaller birds are definitely friendlier, but Steller’s are probably the only thing bigger than a sparrow that’s remotely friendly to me.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Couple birds from the neighborhood that turned out reasonably well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I haven't been in this thread at all for like a year, just overdosed on awesome bird shots (if you're wondering why somebody suddenly favourited a shot on your Flickr, it's archive-divers like me).

Today my partner spotted the nest of the peewees (magpie-lark) that treat our house and yard as strictly their territory. They will noisily chase off any conspecifics, as well as the usual larger threatening birds (magpies, currowongs) and even non-competitors like little corellas. Maybe they just hate listening to noisy parrot babies?

I set up my ancient 500mm on my tripod and ran down a battery. Then I came inside and tried to remember how to edit.
PeeWee Babies 01 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
PeeWee Babies 03 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
PeeWee Babies 05 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
PeeWee Babies 07 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I also shot some video, and edited those clips together with some star wipes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlAVtD6-X4I