Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

if the steam version doesn't have quantum stockpiles I'm gonna flip a table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Zesty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l0HB8Qb2Cw

ZOOMING IN on the embark screen. Also it looks good.

This is so beautiful I'm gonna puke

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
:allears:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

:cool:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Alright nobody watch that video until April 21st.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Is that overworld the new artist's version? It looks better, the trees and mountains blend together well.

The zoomed in embark could use some more detail and better blending as well.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's so beautiful...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It just looks so much like a real game that it makes me feel a little emotional. One day it'll come out, and it's gonna look so good. :swoon:

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
How much art had to be thrown away after meph left?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

tak posted:

I’d think basically all of it. Wasn’t he brought on board early on?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The stuff i saw him doing was edits of the other guy's art (like recoloring existing monsters to make statues or reskinning them with bones to make skeletons)

So basically gruntwork

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

tak posted:

Not necessarily any. You do work, you leave, the people you worked for still own the work.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Muscle Tracer posted:

Not necessarily any. You do work, you leave, the people you worked for still own the work.

Apparently they won't be using any of the assets he worked on or something

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
They're throwing out anything that was his original creation (because they can't trust the provenance) but keeping all the recoloured/overpainted variants he did which was the bulk of what he contributed.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
:unsmith:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Maugrim posted:

(because they can't trust the provenance)

because they feel that legally speaking they need to demonstrate that they don't trust the provenance to avoid a miniscule chance of a lawsuit

not necessarily because they think he did anything wrong in his work for them

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
A lovely situation, but I can't really see art being the bottleneck for Dwarf Fortress, so I doubt this really changes much in when we can expect to get it.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Freakazoid_ posted:

Is that overworld the new artist's version? It looks better, the trees and mountains blend together well.

The zoomed in embark could use some more detail and better blending as well.

it's amazing that it now looks like a map instead of opening a jpeg in vim. im still a little nostalgic for the old look but i bet a lot more people will be interested in the game now

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This never would have happened if dwarf fortress steam edition had a g.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pharnakes posted:

A lovely situation, but I can't really see art being the bottleneck for Dwarf Fortress, so I doubt this really changes much in when we can expect to get it.

Yeah, the hold up seems to mostly be on the technical side rather than the art side.

What really sucks is this is just money down the drain for a small producer and developer.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

animist posted:

it's amazing that it now looks like a map instead of opening a jpeg in vim. im still a little nostalgic for the old look but i bet a lot more people will be interested in the game now

i haven't kept up with every speck of detail, so i dunno if they've addressed the matter, but i'm almost certain that the artists' work is resting on a foundation of modifiable map iconography

it's what everybody-wins looks like

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

animist posted:

it's still built on top of tiles and i suspect that a modified form of the ascii will still be usable, if not at launch then later on

i feel like the ascii aesthetic is such a big part of DF that toady won't want to abandon it fully

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
As to the new LP thread:

I've got the place picked out, the dorfs made, and the embark done. Now I actually have to play the game and make the thread.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
meph also used a poo poo ton of art from Warcraft 2 in an update and when someone called him out on it a moderator deleted the post, so he had some help along the way of his deception

Meph lucked out hard on his situation, but taking art and editing it slightly and then claiming you made it is scummy, but also lmao you should be allowed to steal from blizzard for a mod

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Two Questions -

1 - I've got a Fortress Liasion stuck in my dining hall. As far as I can tell we've concluded the meeting and his trading cart has left. Anyway to get rid of him?

2 - What's the last version of Dwarf Fortress using the original no embark, start on the left side of the map, run into the water > chasm > lava? It feels like DF is too easy these days, and I'd love to spend two hours trying to get my first crop of plump helmets.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

0.23.130.23a

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Grevlek posted:

Two Questions -

1 - I've got a Fortress Liasion stuck in my dining hall. As far as I can tell we've concluded the meeting and his trading cart has left. Anyway to get rid of him?

Aside from murder/accidents/"accidents," no. They like to hang around and socialize and eat your food for several months after conducting their business and will eventually leave on their own provided they have a route off the map.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Grevlek posted:

Two Questions -

2 - What's the last version of Dwarf Fortress using the original no embark, start on the left side of the map, run into the water > chasm > lava? It feels like DF is too easy these days, and I'd love to spend two hours trying to get my first crop of plump helmets.

I've also got a link to a graphics set old DF install somewhere.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Has there been any news about new steam DF version fixing/completing the game-portion of DF (Not just graphics/UI)? The inevitable fortress slowdown and managing mood spirals etc eventually made me stop coming back to DF, but if the game loop worked a bit better I could see myself sinking hundreds of hours into this game again.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah the graphics look nice but what I'm really waiting for is UI stuff, i.e. will it have a functional GUI or will it still basically be a command line game, and even more importantly will poo poo like workshop/stockpile interactions and the military actually make sense?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
They’re doing a total UI overhaul. Some videos have been shared in this thread, and are posted to steam.

The game itself is probably never going to be “complete”. I’d be surprised if there isn’t a whole bunch coming with the steam release on top of the UI/UX work, but that is the primary piece coming because of the steam release.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Here’s one video showing military changes coming

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

quote:

I've also been working on the title screen, save/modding restructure, and new world creation, as they all tie together. Lots has changed here. Mods are now zip files in their own folder, and the vanilla objects are stored similarly (though they aren't zipped.) Plop a zip file in the mods folder, and it becomes available for use - it needs to have a little info.txt file inside of it so that the system can read it. The vanilla files also use the same format, so there'll be plenty of examples. The info file also allows author information, descriptions, and version/compat info, including required/conflicting mod identifiers.

When you create a world, you can set a load order from among the mods that are installed on your computer, including the vanilla objects. The default is just to load the vanilla objects in order, and you don't even see this if you haven't put mods on your system. On the other hand, vanilla objects don't need to be loaded at all, though obviously in that case you'll generally want something to replace them. Hopefully this will allow total object conversions and other large changes without needing to leave the in-game interface.

Saves no longer store their mods - this isn't feasible with all the graphics, so you'll need to have the right mods installed to load modded saves. Different saves on the same computer can still use different mods; it loads the specified mods with each save, so it doesn't matter if you have conflicting mods installed, as long as they don't conflict within a single world. Mods store version compatibility information, so saves should be able to update their mods if the authors provide when they release new versions. I've also generally restructured the data and raw folders so that more of the text files are encompassed in the object/mod system.

Lutefisk is on New Year's Day this year. Another week of anticipation.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That mod change is huge.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I wouldn't be surprised if it's at Steam's insistence for ~Workshop Integration~

This is likely going to be another one of those games that will really make you hate life if you naively let Steam install games inside Program Files

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Pakled posted:

That mod change is huge.

Honest question, why?

DF was probably one of the easiest games to mod since you could literally just create a notepad file and have at it, and drop or send that file around. The coding language for most mods was incredibly easy to grasp. This seems like a backwards step

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Honest question, why?

You'll probably be able to have multiple mods co-existing without multiple installs of the game.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Telsa Cola posted:

DF was probably one of the easiest games to mod since you could literally just create a notepad file and have at it, and drop or send that file around. The coding language for most mods was incredibly easy to grasp. This seems like a backwards step

How so? Having the modded information collated into a single zip file with a mandatory info.txt file might make add an extra few minutes or so of busy work for modders, but I imagine it'll make distributing and installing mods tremendously easier.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Mod development is unchanged, but this a light-years improvement in mod deployment and management.

It's actually better than the majority of mod managers and even package managers out there on both the game and professional development space, by deliberately making compatibility information a first class citizen.
Letting the game itself keep track whether a new version breaks things or is not compatible with some other mod is huge.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Schwarzwald posted:

How so? Having the modded information collated into a single zip file with a mandatory info.txt file might make add an extra few minutes or so of busy work for modders, but I imagine it'll make distributing and installing mods tremendously easier.

Distrubution and Installation of DF mods 99% of the time consisted of dropping a .txt file or two into the DF folder. The only way it gets easier than that is having an .exe do that for you.

That being said, an above poster did point out that the the new system would allow you to run different worlds with different mod sets, which does seems like a plus.

Compatibility info being important is also a plus as well! Though to be honest in like a decade plus of playing DF I have never run into mod compatibility issues, and version change issues are incredibly straightforward to figure out.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 25, 2021