Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Leal posted:

And their main competitor was a company called Enix!

And they dueled on the Family Computer!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'd like to get your perspective on FFVII Class Challenge run stuff since I really did appreciate your Materia allotment suggestions and you did note there was no equivalent to Aero in VII, just Bird Wings to throw at an enemy.

What do you think of using attack items? Everybody in the base game can use anything from Grenades to those Bird Wing and beyond and I'm just curious if you think a class challenge run should restrict it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Replaying FF7 on the Switch I'm noticing some minor bugs, nothing gamebreaking, just small emulation issues that suck that they're there. Things like the sound effect of footsteps not playing when you successfully run from battle, and the "leaves" that Cloud would kick up on the world map when you run through a forest being gone as well. I'm also noticing some weird notes and reverb sounds playing during some songs, the Train Graveyard music being one that stands out as sounding especially weird.

NikkolasKing posted:

What do you think of using attack items? Everybody in the base game can use anything from Grenades to those Bird Wing and beyond and I'm just curious if you think a class challenge run should restrict it.

Oh hmm, that's something I didn't think about. On one hand, I can understand how things like Bird Wing being the only access to wind element magic mean it makes sense to restrict them. But I think in the end, I'm going to say that attack items shouldn't be restricted. Outside of FFT (and Berserkers) even FF games that have a job system have never restricted item use from characters. The only real exception to this is games like V where you can use an equipped weapon as an item (like snapping rods or using Masamune to cast Haste) but I think that's different from using spell items that you can't equip.

e: I guess in theory you could if you did want to make something like a Geomancer class, which would basically be Earth materia, and "uses Bird Wing" for wind, and take away Earth from Black Mage and make Bird Wing Geo exclusive. I think ultimately, all this would really accomplish is Geomancer being a much shittier Black Mage since it wouldn't get any other magic materia, and its support/independent materia would essentially be the same as Black Mage. Plus I think Bird Wing is only an Aero2 equivalent meaning it wouldn't even really be worth using late in the game as a main damage source. Maybe this makes it an excellent spiritual successor to Geomancer if it sucks. :v:

I guess you could restrict all spell effect items to Geomancer but even then, I dunno. I don't think it's impossible to make a Geomancer type class through materia restrictions, I just feel that given how limited the materia system is, there isn't really a way to make it feel like its own unique identity compared to Black Mage, which is why I did think about that originally but gave up on it pretty quick.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 18, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF12 let you specialize into using items, which also made remedy a useless item for people who didn’t have remedy lore.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

where THE gently caress is the chrono cross remake

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
where THE gently caress is the ff6 pixel remaster

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!

dolphinbomb posted:

where THE gently caress is the ff6 pixel remaster

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
where THE gently caress is the Vagrant Story remake

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
They probably would have to completely remake that one, doesn't it do a bunch of super specific ps1 tricks that would make it hard to just remaster?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vagrant story was bad, fight me

Not a good game. Impressive visually, and it’s an Ivalice game so I’m bound by honor to give it a go

But it bad

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
It had some interesting systems with the weapons and armor and stuff but yeah the gameplay isn't great.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

jokes posted:

Vagrant story was bad, fight me

Not a good game. Impressive visually, and it’s an Ivalice game so I’m bound by honor to give it a go

But it bad

okay

In fairness both that effortpost and any follow up argument I could make would boil down to "yeah good point I still love it though"

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I can't think of much bad to say about Vagrant Story, but it is a dungeon crawler with some elements which you might just not like such as the box puzzles or chain attacks.

If you get good at the chain attacks though, it can be really satisfying. Especially when you hit the rhythm and end up geting dozens of attacks in a row, walloping on all kinds of status effects and stat changes along with your attacks depending on the setup.

The only thing bad about it is having to dive right into the submenu every time you want to change gear, which is very often. A quick menu like they have for your attack mappings would really improve the game since optimising your equipment for different enemies is such a big part of the game.

aesthetically it's great and lea monde is a really pretty town on the surface in contrast to the dank dungeons below. i like how the game veers into horror so often, even right from the start they make the weird choice for the first 2-3 hours of the game to be a kind of survival horror endurance thing with ghosts and ghouls that you need to figure out how to fight.

the story isn't anything too special but it's a cool setup of these various factions descending on lea monde at cross purposes. it's told well with a cool translation.

it's the best of the ivalice games for me. really focused and knows what it wants to be.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

roomtone posted:

If you get good at the chain attacks though, it can be really satisfying. Especially when you hit the rhythm and end up geting dozens of attacks in a row, walloping on all kinds of status effects and stat changes along with your attacks depending on the setup.

NOOOOO!!!! YOU CAN'T JUST BEAT EVERY BOSS BY SPAMMING CHAIN ABILITIES!!!! YOU CAN'T JUST KEEP LEAVING YOURSELF AT RISK 100!!! YOU'RE LEAVING YOURSELF WIDE OPEN TO GET ONE SHOTTED!!!! NOOOOO

haha heavy shot go brrr

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Vichan posted:

where THE gently caress is the Vagrant Story remake

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Vagrant story is the only ivalice game worth a drat and the only one with a narrative that doesn't poo poo its pants after the opening.

It's a bad setting and I'm glad it withers into a mudhole.

Sto making games in it, start the greater spira expanded universe. Give me a High Spira era game set before the war between Zanarkand and Bevelle.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Speaking of Spira

https://twitter.com/alex_moukala/status/1472201001058848775

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Vagrant story is the only ivalice game worth a drat and the only one with a narrative that doesn't poo poo its pants after the opening.

It's a bad setting and I'm glad it withers into a mudhole.

Sto making games in it, start the greater spira expanded universe. Give me a High Spira era game set before the war between Zanarkand and Bevelle.

There's already a Spira EU, it's called the FF7 EU.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

You can't prove that any world isn't just the dream of a bunch of Fayth. Why, you could be a dream of a Fayth right now.

Well, g'night!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What song was that just before FF6's boss theme at the end?

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Electric Phantasm posted:

Eternal Fight from 13-2.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVwFKfFF_fA

Alex is a big Hamauzu fan

efb

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I’ve made it back to town after blowing the first reactor in FF7R on pc and have noticed a couple of minor loading hiccups and that’s it. I have a 3080 and 11 series i5, and it’s installed on an ssd for reference. I think that DF guy must have had an outlier experience, as this is great for me. I’m loving the frame rate improvement over playing it on my PS4 when it launched.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

:getin:
https://twitter.com/fforigin/status/1472205257560051717

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

this game is gonna be the funniest loving poo poo

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

stranger of paradise will be the greatest game of all time and anyone that disagrees is stupid and i hope jack beats the poo poo out of them

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

this feels like it needs Jack Black doing the narration

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

This is very stupid and not my FF1 head canon. I really want to play it and kill chaos

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

gay_crimes posted:

This is very stupid and not my FF1 head canon. I really want to play it and kill chaos

https://twitter.com/fforigin/status/1472175058516725761

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

JoJosSiwaAdventure posted:

this feels like it needs Jack Black doing the narration

his name is jack garland

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This game knows exactly what it wants to be and I am loving it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

HD DAD posted:

This game knows exactly what it wants to be and I am loving it.

The last time I saw a game this loving sure of it's tone and style and not bending an inch was FFX-2 or maybe Godhand.

This is gonna rule.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Man, the world of FF7 kind of just doesn't make sense, I know it's been brought up before but it's really sticking out to me now, like the people that live inside a mako reactor for some reason. Or the fact that any rich rear end in a top hat would have to pass through a trash town to get to the Gold Saucer. Or that people in Kalm talk about working at the mythril mine, except it's really far away from the town and also across a marsh that has thirty foot snakes that use nuclear explosions living in it.

Nothing about the entire Gold Saucer section makes sense either. Cloud and friends show up and Dyne just coincidentally happens to come to the Gold Saucer at the same time to kill people because...? I'm also not sure how he got to the Gold Saucer, I know there's an elevator there of course but the idea is the only way to get out of the prison into the Gold Saucer is to win the chocobo race, since the elevator goes straight into the chocobo jockey room. Dyne isn't an employee of the Gold Saucer either, in fact it seems like Dio apparently has no idea Dyne exists, so how did Dyne get to the Battle Square? Then after his killing spree Cloud and friends show up, Dio comes in and asks "Hey did you do this?" and Cloud says "No it wasn't us" and Dio is like "Hmm, guess I was wrong" and then Cait Sith decides to run for no real reason which then causes Dio to suspect them and throw them into the prison. Then you have to win a chocobo race to earn your freedom, because...?

Like the whole thing is just strange.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The last time I saw a game this loving sure of it's tone and style and not bending an inch was FFX-2 or maybe Godhand.

My first thought was Lococycle, a game I only know exists because I watched someone stream it on Youtube.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FF7 was I think the last game where they didn't really put a lot of thought into making the world connected. From FF8 onwards they started thinking about linking city hubs with transportation routes.

That said, the Gold Saucer's location isn't really that far fetched. There are a lot of places on Earth where you have big, opulent, tourist attractions while surrounded by poverty, like the Taj Mahal.

The Mythril Mines are probably one of the few places that don't make sense (the other being the Icicle Inn). If you think of the Mako Reactors as 'safe' spots, then you have:

Midgar > Fort Condor > Junon > Corel > Gongaga > Nibelheim (and then Rocket Town, which doesn't have a reactor but is the extent of Shinra's influence)

Midgar to Fort Condor is the longest stretch, once you sail to Costa del Sol there's actually lots of pit stops, including Cosmo Canyon. It's also probably why a lot of people stick around in Midgar especially after they've made the journey; it's too much of a hassle to go anywhere else other than Kalm.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 19, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

final fantasy 7 is in a lot of ways a 16 bit RPG that just happened to be in 3D and have FMVs and it owns

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Stranger of Paradise looked so bad and dumb when the first trailer dropped. Then the more of itself it showed the dumber it looked, and it quickly found itself in the so dumb it’s good zone. I’m more excited for it than Elden Ring.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I want SoP to have an in-universe music player like MGS5.

Some dude is spouting off a JRPG monologue and you're bored? Just pop in some earbuds and let Limp Bizkit drown it out.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Stranger of Paradise looked so bad and dumb when the first trailer dropped. Then the more of itself it showed the dumber it looked, and it quickly found itself in the so dumb it’s good zone. I’m more excited for it than Elden Ring.

On the other end of the spectrum, Forspoken looks terrible because it's a dour generic high budget game where the developers were seemingly told no laughing or displays of joy allowed in the workplace

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Has there been any mention if Stranger of Paradise will have crossplay between PC and PS4/5? I assume no but just want to double check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I thought Sony was being a huge PITA to devs who want to institute cross-play unless it's within the PlayStation ecosystem because :capitalism: