Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Chamale posted:

Millions of Africans will starve before any American cattle do.

it loving hurts me that you're correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Alobar posted:

the old dogs are dying as the new dogs are struggling to be born

now is the time of monkeys

thats the problem tho

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if anyone is working on getting chloroplasts in epithelial cells. if I was a billionaire I’d fund it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chamale posted:

only because technically it wasnt starvation it was heat exhaustion and we killed them for meat before they could die of the heat :eng101:

https://slate.com/technology/2021/09/megadrought-ranchers-cattle-sheep-lambs-meat.html

quote:

https://slate.com/technology/2021/09/megadrought-ranchers-cattle-sheep-lambs-meat.html

Between June 2020 and June 2021, Texas reported that it had slaughtered (or, by association, culled) an additional 38.2 million pounds of red meat livestock, an annual growth of around 30 percent for the figure. The United States as a whole reeled its net production back by 3 percent over that same time period.

What was worse, 36.4 million of those 38.2 million pounds of red meat were produced between May and June—a single summer month accounting for more than 95 percent of its increase in a year. And while official reports for the subsequent months of July and August remain scattered and in assembly, local ranchers I spoke with suggest that the trend has not ebbed to any noticeable degree.

Analysts believe that the problem doesn’t stem from the farms or the livestock, but rather the onerous ripples of the heat. In an email to me, Leann Hunting, the animal industry director at the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food, wrote: “The heat and lack of moisture/rainfall leads to a lack of feed and water, which can make it hard to keep the cattle healthy. … Cattle ranchers have been hauling water to areas where natural water sources have been dried up and have been feeding hay to make up for a lack of forage. … Without that water, heat exposure and exhaustion would cause a lot of harm to the cattle.”

The average feeder cattle will find ideal living conditions at around 25 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit. At temperatures between 80 and 100 degrees, they begin to undergo rapid exhaustion, and at temperatures above 100, they will die. The average daily high in Phoenix this summer sits at about 105, and the year-over-year rainfall has plummeted from an average 8–12 inches to 4.41 inches, the lowest on record in over 10 years.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Chamale posted:

Or our cars, a lot of that corn is meant for ethanol.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So humans on strict plant based diet without burning food for car fuel. How much we could lose and still feed everyone, 80-90% of the fields?

I mean just scrap all animals and related animal products, don't use food for biofuels. Don't eat more calories than you need. How much extra we produce than is nutritionally absolutely necessary?

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
where does the internet getting shut off, intentionally or otherwise, fall on the collapse timeline? anyone have any good articles or links to first hand accounts of people's experience when internet access was suddenly shut off for whole regions or countries?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Everyone expected trouble at the border. Nobody expected it would be them.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

where does the internet getting shut off, intentionally or otherwise, fall on the collapse timeline? anyone have any good articles or links to first hand accounts of people's experience when internet access was suddenly shut off for whole regions or countries?

would probably be the only thing that has the potential to save America.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Cold on a Cob posted:

it loving hurts me that you're correct

Now now...

10s of millions.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

It is day 1339 since "the crisis", I have been foraging the ruins enough to have outlived the bulk of my species. My clothes hang from me in filthy rags, my hair a disgusting rats nest. I peer in the window of an abandoned convenience store, already ransacked but a convenient place to retreat from the ash and acid lacing from the blackened sky.

Poking through moldering debris in the back, seeking a place to lay my emaciated head for a moments rest, I find a cellular phone. Unbelievably, it turns on. I lay back on a rotting pile of Coal Rollers Quarterly, the years of struggle shedding off. Smiling, I log into the SomethingAwful forums: Biosphere Collapse. My trembling fingers type out a final "LOL, LMAO", and I drift off to my enternal slumber.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Rime posted:

It is day 1339 since "the crisis", I have been foraging the ruins enough to have outlived the bulk of my species. My clothes hang from me in filthy rags, my hair a disgusting rats nest. I peer in the window of an abandoned convenience store, already ransacked but a convenient place to retreat from the ash and acid lacing from the blackened sky.

Poking through moldering debris in the back, seeking a place to lay my emaciated head for a moments rest, I find a cellular phone. Unbelievably, it turns on. I lay back on a rotting pile of Coal Rollers Quarterly, the years of struggle shedding off. Smiling, I log into the SomethingAwful forums: Biosphere Collapse. My trembling fingers type out a final "LOL, LMAO", and I drift off to my enternal slumber.

If only it happened two days prior. That would have been epic

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I might get a tattoo someday that says "sooner than previously anticipated".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SpaceCadetBob posted:

would probably be the only thing that has the potential to save America.

It's truly funny how huge a disaster the Internet has been in pretty much every way

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Shifty Nipples posted:

I might get a tattoo someday that says "sooner than previously anticipated".

i was think of finding out which slightly radioactive foods i could ingest to confuse future aliens with my bone records

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

technology was a mistake

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ELTON JOHN posted:

multiple breadbasket failures coming in ahead of schedule
relax. earth has a carrying capacity of like 40 billion people. it's just a problem of food waste and distribution

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I've been thinking about how The Tower of Babel is primarily a story about technology. At the time (still is) building tall rear end structutes was the primary way of showing off your technological chops. Both in terms of engineering and construction as well as human organizational technologies necessary to manage these mega projects. Now look at us, we've built this massive cybernetic machine of exploitation to see how high we can build Number and our realities have been fractured into a million little soap bubbles as a result. We can't communicate across the boundaries since loadbearing symbolic touchstones and shibboleths have drifted. The ability to maintain and continue building the number machine under the onslaught of climate change has been kneecapped by our reduced ability to work together under common goals because we can barely even agree on the problems.

If anything the Brain-Breaking Internet machine may be a small mercy to life on earth because it accelerated the ultimate collapse of the Capitalist project.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Xaris posted:

relax. earth has a carrying capacity of like 40 billion people. it's just a problem of food waste and distribution

I've been growing and canning tomatoes in my yard, will that fix the problem?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Wisest Moron posted:

I've been growing and canning tomatoes in my yard, will that fix the problem?

I've consulted the judges and ...yes.

If people are starving to death you can point out that you grow food in your yard. This is officially a rebuttal.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Category 5 super typhoon Rai hits Philippines with winds up to 260km/h

https://twitter.com/earthshakerph/status/1471292533468663808

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1471469038018732040

https://twitter.com/wxtrackercody/status/1472300214597951488

https://twitter.com/netblocks/status/1472322403921506305

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
everyone in the midwest likes for their team to be in a bowl game

unfortunately for them, this year they're in the dust bowl

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
Ha ha ha ha HA hahahahaha HAHAHAHA ha ha ha!!!!!! HA HA HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
i'm alive at the end of the human race, just havin a normal one, no worries

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

That Spooky Witch posted:

:unsmith: i'm glad to hear everything's normal, bud

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ltWT-y221k

*breathes heavily*

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Do we have the month to month disastrous weather event roundup list fully updated?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

The Demilich posted:

Do we have the month to month disastrous weather event roundup list fully updated?

month to month? lmao you mean the weekly one

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

month to month? lmao you mean the weekly one perry mason jar did

It must be that one, it was long and beautiful.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

That Spooky Witch posted:

not yet you're not

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
https://texasfarmbureau.org/wind-storm-destroys-wheat-crop-in-texas-panhandle/

Welp.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

technology was a mistake

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

sentience was a mistake

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

starkebn posted:

sentience was a mistake

technology was a mistake
are you ready to enter the anprim stage of this thread yet

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 08:24 on Dec 19, 2021

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

quote:

“I guess that’s why there’s only 2% of the population that do this job, because you have to love it to do it,” Wieners said. “What has me optimistic right now is we just had one of the best cotton crops I’ve ever had, and there were good prices. I’ve had more bad years than good years, but we had a good summer and a good crop this year. And I know we’re going to have more good years.”

ah, true wild optimism in its natural habitat

you just don't see that very often these days

or anything else that's wild

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Complications posted:

ah, true wild optimism in its natural habitat

you just don't see that very often these days

or anything else that's wild

To be fair, it’s easy to be an optimist when the federal government will provide endless subsidies and bailouts essentially unconditionally.

Make no mistake: most of these farms wouldn’t be around if it weren’t for those guarantees.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Hubbert posted:

are you ready to enter the anprim stage of this thread yet

yes, let us live off the land and return to the wild

wait...

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I never been able to believe in a magical afterlife, but if there was one, I would love a chance to speak to all the old dead philosophers, scientists, activist, revolutionaries, civil rights leaders, certain authors and artists and generally anyone with a deeply optimistic and kind view of the future, humanity, and who truly thought the things they said and did mattered, and that there was some bright shining future for people.

I would just love to ask them "So how about that whole ending bit there lmao."