Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isOc1tLYXZk
sick, glow in the dark 3.0 release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

mbt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isOc1tLYXZk
sick, glow in the dark 3.0 release

It's glow in the dahrk, N'wah.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Private Speech posted:

It's glow in the dahrk, N'wah.

Md called it "dark" in his release post and I'm not dahrk and edgy enough for that extra h :v:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

mbt posted:

Try 127.0.0.1 instead of the text localhost

I tried this and it didn't work, but taking a second look at the client default config file to try this made me realize I'm just an enormous dumdum who forgot to put the password in :buddy:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Tried modding MW for the umpteenth time but I keep screwing up somewhere, all those hours down the drain... :(

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
I played through Morrowind on Xbox BC awhile ago and thought it was great though somewhat buggy toward the end. I have been trying out OpenMW, and it's working well, but the only mods I've used are to let the beast races wear the equivalent of shoes and to gain +5 modifier for any attribute that I got at least one associated skill up for during that level. I'm also using a mod that repackages the official plugins like the index. I want to try out Tamriel rebuilt and those related mods at some point but enjoy vanilla well enough.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Vichan posted:

Tried modding MW for the umpteenth time but I keep screwing up somewhere, all those hours down the drain... :(
Same here.
:hf: :(
I'm gonna try openmw one more time with a fresh install and see if it works.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vichan posted:

DONT load a thousand mods and then try to play and see it crash. DO load things like the utility mods and an extremely basic list like patch for purists and mgexe and make sure it works. Load a quick start mod, and every 5 mods with esp files (ie not basic replacers) load it up, teleport to balmora, see if it works. I've never failed an install ever

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Just use the Morrowind# guide like I did :)

even if half the spell scrolls are irrevocably broken for me and I can't figure out why arrgghh :unsmigghh:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

mbt posted:

DONT load a thousand mods and then try to play and see it crash. DO load things like the utility mods and an extremely basic list like patch for purists and mgexe and make sure it works. Load a quick start mod, and every 5 mods with esp files (ie not basic replacers) load it up, teleport to balmora, see if it works. I've never failed an install ever

This.

Get the absolute basics installed, do a simple check then load a few, check, load a few check, etc.

I usually do it by "category" (textures, meshes, audio, levelling, etc) so its a happy medium between YOLOing 300 mods and checking after each but I live dangerously.

Even with big guides that try and do everything for you there will inevitably be stuff missed by you or the guide and then you'll be knee deep in hundreds of mods with no loving clue.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 14, 2021

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Also if you're not using mod organizer then please for the love of god I'm begging you use mod organizer. If things get hosed somewhere you never need to start all over again.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

Also if you're not using mod organizer then please for the love of god I'm begging you use mod organizer. If things get hosed somewhere you never need to start all over again.

This was a very important lesson I relearned over the weekend

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Turn your mods on in data files all at once like we did in your father's time

Edit: lmao

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mods ban this sick filth!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I learned how to mod Morrowind in 2003 and I haven't needed to update my skills since. :colbert:

None of this virtual filesystem nonsense for me. Data Files has 29,870 files.

(I did start using a mod manager for my last Morrowind run, but it was Wrye Mash, not Mod Organizer.)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding talk of limited mod lists, I was just made hortator and nerevarine of my current playthrough (and I swear I'll finish this time!!) and while I agree in testing and playing a light weight mod list, I was also really surprised by how quickly the list bloats even with a fairly minimalist attitude:

Graphics
High Res Textures
MGE (for resolution and other stuff, not so much distant land)

Patches
MCP

Gameplay
More deadly Morrowind denizens
Beware the Sixth House
DLC rebalance
Harder Barter
Enchanted item cost rebalance
AshFall
A mod that makes running not drain stamina

That's a pretty bareboned list but I really wouldn't want to okay without any of them, so this is about as light as I can get.

That list "feels" like vanilla Morrowind to me, not in the sense that I know this is what it was like on my Xbox 20 years ago, but it's my new baseline

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

This is the first MW run I’ve done with Mod Manager and I love how the MO splash logo changes to Morrowind’s style when you boot it :3:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Cross-Section posted:

This is the first MW run I’ve done with Mod Manager and I love how the MO splash logo changes to Morrowind’s style when you boot it :3:
It's really nice! MO2 is great. I just never got the hang of using it for Morrowind, for some reason. It was introduced to me when I was in the middle of a New Vegas run, where I'd been using a mix of hand-unpacked mods and the Nexus Mod Manager (not Vortex, this was 2017), and I was bothered by the fact that now that I'd installed anything through MO2, I had to always launch the game through MO2. Using it from the start, as my sole mod manager, made my next run of Skyrim go very smoothly.

Jack B Nimble posted:

That list "feels" like vanilla Morrowind to me, not in the sense that I know this is what it was like on my Xbox 20 years ago, but it's my new baseline
I should give AshFall a try sometime. The difficulty of wandering the wilderness in Vvardenfell is mostly an informed trait, rather than something you actually experience (aside from getting lost). Does it actually include ashstorm / blight mechanics, or is it just temperature / camping / needs?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you look up the list of recommended mods that the author suggest you pair with AshFall, there's a few related to blight storms. I've fully installed all those recommended mods before, and they're worth it, but I didn't want to press my luck in this version because I'm actually playing in the French language version.

(Which is working fine by the way, a French modding forum gave me the French version of MCP and every mod I'm using just seems to plug right into it. The biggest exception is actually my own "Enchanted item cost rebalance" because applying it rewrites all the modded items to English, but other than that no bugs or crashes.)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

for modding morrowind you can hypothetically get by without a mod manager as long as you make a merged patch in wrye.

oblivion tho...well, good luck

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Vavrek posted:

I learned how to mod Morrowind in 2003 and I haven't needed to update my skills since. :colbert:

None of this virtual filesystem nonsense for me. Data Files has 29,870 files.

(I did start using a mod manager for my last Morrowind run, but it was Wrye Mash, not Mod Organizer.)

Wrye Mash is basically the same as Mod Organizer, in fact it's arguably the predecessor to the latter.

Plus it has some nice tools for unfuckling fuckled saves and stuff.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 15, 2021

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Wrye doesn't do virtual files where it doesn't touch the install folder, which is what made MO such a huge improvement over prior mod managers.

You can also run wrye through MO so you don't have to choose between them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

On the other hand then you wouldn't have people constantly coming in trying to figure out why mods aren't working when they've got the game in program files and they don't understand it's protected. And then not listening to the advice for two pages.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Honestly if you're like, a Los Angeles 8/10, how much of a shot would you have at the ALMSIVI?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So for whatever reason I got it in my head to reinstall Morrowind, try out OpenMW, and dig into mods for the first time really... ever?

First thoughts: goddrat I wish modding-openmw.com just provided torrents to complete builds of all the mods etc. in one package, because jesus christ even with Mod Organizer 2 installing the several hundred mods required for the Total Overhaul (or even the smaller "Vanilla Extended" modlist) is a pain in the rear end.

Second thoughts: installing the I Heart Vanilla: Director's Cut modlist manually was much, much more manageable and now I'm finally playing the loving game. I'd like to check out the Tamriel Rebuilt stuff, but are there any specific hooks for getting into their content? Or should I just take the first boat that I see over to the mainland and start exploring until I find a questline?

Drone fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 15, 2021

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Drone posted:

So for whatever reason I got it in my head to reinstall Morrowind, try out OpenMW, and dig into mods for the first time really... ever?

First thoughts: goddrat I wish modding-openmw.com just provided torrents to complete builds of all the mods etc. in one package, because jesus christ even with Mod Organizer 2 installing the several hundred mods required for the Total Overhaul (or even the smaller "Vanilla Extended" modlist) is a pain in the rear end.

Second thoughts: installing the I Heart Vanilla: Director's Cut modlist manually was much, much more manageable and now I'm finally playing the loving game. I'd like to check out the Tamriel Rebuilt stuff, but are there any specific hooks for getting into their content? Or should I just take the first boat that I see over to the mainland and start exploring until I find a questline?

Old ebonheart, straight south of vivec

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

So I got an itch to try out one of the Wabbajack Morrowind lists, snagged YAJAN. I'm playing on a 4k screen, though, and I've got an issue where stuff is just fish-eyed, everything distorts when I get close to it, and it's an immediate eyestrain headache on top of being obnoxious. I presume this is probably the result of MGE XE, but I've used it before, at this resolution, without this issue, and I can't see any options that might be radically different from my last playthrough (I've tried adjusting FOV, no dice).

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laKkEzFEYdo

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I don't know how you doxxed me like this

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Why is it this dark at 7:30 in the morning? I know for a fact it wasn't like this when I started my playthrough.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Do you have a mod that adjusts the sunrise and sunset times bases on the season?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Are you wearing the boots of blinding speed?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Edit: nvm

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

hooah posted:

Do you have a mod that adjusts the sunrise and sunset times bases on the season?

I thought I didn't but apparently I need to read mod descriptions better as Watch The Skies does indeed include "dynamic daylight hours"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

I thought I didn't but apparently I need to read mod descriptions better as Watch The Skies does indeed include "dynamic daylight hours"

Jvk1166z.esp strikes again.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
That's lore breaking! Nirn has no axial tilt and does not orbit a sun!
:goonsay:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The sun is s big hole into pure magic.

The stars are smaller holes into pure magic.

The moon are the maimed body of a dead god.

The planets are the less dead gods.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The sun is s big hole into pure magic.

The stars are smaller holes into pure magic.

The moon are the maimed body of a dead god.

The planets are the less dead gods.

Right, but what's the cosmology of Nirn? Don't bring your real world physics into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

reaching the point of the playthrough where you realize Morrowind has like no money sinks except enchanting and various mods

ah, well. *continues picking up every scroll and hackle-lo leaf in range*