Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Would be funny if journalists are getting mugged off there, because that all looks fake as poo poo. That, or MPs really are weird enough to talk like that to each other (likely, tbh).

e: there were two General Elections in '74. Imagine how insufferable that would be in this age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"Sure, every Tory leader in the past 50 years ended their career in humiliating failure by either losing an election or being backstabbed and deposed in a leadership challenge, or both, but I will be the exception who stays in Number 10 for the rest of my life!"

[Monkey's paw puts itself on standby]

Edit: wouldn't a WhatsApp contact actually spell the person's name correctly?

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 18, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They have an entire club where they go to talk weirdly at each other, it's called parliament.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Payndz posted:

Edit: wouldn't a WhatsApp contact actually spell the person's name correctly?

It displays it how you have it saved in your phone

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Oh look Reek is here to protect Ramsay Bolton.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Oh look Reek is here to protect Ramsay Bolton.

Surely Boris would be Reek and Mogg would be Bolton?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Apraxin posted:

A bit late to the 'old racist stuff from childhood' chat, but throwing mine on the pile:

When I was in primary school back in the 90s, we would sometimes have a 'religion' class which basically amounted to a local reverend or rabbi or someone connected to a religious institution coming in and... doing something. Talk about their religion or a holiday that was coming up or tell a bible story, it was very random and unstructured and not really supervised by the school much. One time around Easter we had a lady who was like a deacon of some alternate protestant sect come in and tell us an Easter story, which went like:

':) Before the Romans crucified Jesus, they needed nails made for the cross. But none of the blacksmiths in town would make them, even when the Romans threatened and punished them. Eventually, they found a greedy blacksmith who thought only of money, and he made the nails that the Romans used in the Crucifixion. The day after Jesus rose, the blacksmith woke up and found the nails had mysteriously appeared in his workshop, as if they had burrowed up from the earth. He was terror-stricken, and hurriedly moved with his family to a new town. But sure enough, soon he found the nails in his workshop again. The blacksmith kept on moving, trying to escape this reminder of his crime and his guilt, but the nails followed him for all his life. After he died, the curse passed on to his children, and his children's children, and all his descendants forevermore, to show their sin.

And that, children, is where Gypsies come from, and why they always move from place to place :).'

Just seemed like another weird Bible story to Year 6 me and I never thought much of it at the time. Remembered it suddenly several years later and was like 'wait, :stonk::stonk::stonk:'

There's another one as well where the blacksmith is to make four nails, two for the hands and one for the crossed feet, and a golden one to put through the heart so Jesus couldn't rise from the earth (I guess like a vampire?)

But then a Romani child steals the golden one, and as a result Jesus is resurrected, and therefore God allows the Romani people to steal with impunity.

So yeah, all pretty racist in various ways.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The gently caress kind of pissweak god can be stopped with a golden nail through the heart..?

Oh yeah I'm the ultimate arbiter of life and death, the creator given human form, but oof ow no don't stick me with the golden pointy thing that'll ruin everything.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Red Oktober posted:

two for the hands and one for the crossed feet
That's Triclavianism, Patrick!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

OwlFancier posted:

The gently caress kind of pissweak god can be stopped with a golden nail through the heart..?
Jesus is a Cyberman, who knew? Who. Knew? [Taps nose]

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MrJonNewton/status/1472337569757085698

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Payndz posted:

Jesus is a Cyberman, who knew? Who. Knew? [Taps nose]

:nono: FFS do your own research. He's an Extra Terrestrial. I know because Giorgio told me. :colbert:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

what a freaky violin

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Steve Baker thinks he can be PM? loving lol.

Also nice of them to spell out clearly that the entire point of Brexit is extremist Thatcherite economic policies.

Should really need to be said but clearly does.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Frost NOT sticking it out til January as previously agreed, gone now.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1472330300923465737?s=20

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Haha yes

Keir sterner is probably sitting at home reading this going "oh drat my coalition party is in a rough"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Reminder that the entire press lost their collective minds that JAMBLY BRCYN had once met with a Czech person, to the point that a serving MP had to pay him a huge amount of damages and put the words "Please retweet" into the British political lexicon, and also still to this day mutter darkly about the relationship he had with Diane Abbot when both were young and single.

I don't know why those two facts come to mind, or indeed the whole last half of Spy Catcher, when I see that image. Must just be one of those weird brain things.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Frost NOT sticking it out til January as previously agreed, gone now.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1472330300923465737?s=20

Because January will have the new customs rules, and he can be on GB News saying its all the EUs fault

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10324485/New-Allegra-Stratton-tapes-Boris-Johnson-circulation.html
Christ the state of this article, as of 1220pm anyway, surely you read it over just once before hitting publish :justpost:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Hey google, show me visually similar images to Boris and the Violinist....

erm....

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought this was enigma encoded for a start but the letter block size is off.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I thought this was enigma encoded for a start but the letter block size is off.

I'm offended you think I'd use a cypher that is not just Nazi, but German. I use the Playfair Cypher like English Jesus intended.

Yes I know it was actually invented by an American but it's named after a Lord and was used by the British for over a century (the Royal Signals were still teaching it to wireless operators as late as the Falklands, but it was never actually used past WW2), that's as British as it gets. And now I want to implement it in Python because that's how I roll on a Saturday night.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That's how they cracked the nazi code, by scanning the start of Daily Mail articles for the words 'the traitor Jeremy Corbyn.'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yes I know it was actually invented by an American but it's named after a Lord
Also a perfect name for a brand of cigarettes or gentlemen's magazine if you're writing fiction.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/doctor_oxford/status/1472230146409222147

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The good thing is that there's a fair body of research from the BLM protests last year that Covid didn't spread well at all in outdoor protest type environments even with crowding.

The bad thing is that didn't account for Omicron, most BLM protestors tried their best to mask and sanitise, and these fucks are protesting for the right to crowd indoors after.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Why would you specifically go to buy nails for just one prisoner, let alone bother to tell the blacksmith precisely who you were using them to kill. Was that standard for all the crucifixions

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Angepain posted:

Why would you specifically go to buy nails for just one prisoner, let alone bother to tell the blacksmith precisely who you were using them to kill. Was that standard for all the crucifixions

You know how the firing squad has one guy with blank bullets so everyone has a bit of plausible deniability that they didn't actually kill the guy? They came up with the concept after seeing what happened to that blacksmith.

Uh... forget about that centurion who stabbed Jesus to kill him faster as an act of mercy?

poo poo is Longinus even canon or just something made up for anime?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

Reusable crucifixion nails aren't really a thing. They... uhh... get kind of rusty after a few days.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Angepain posted:

Yes. The legend of the magic nails today affects billions of people and is a significant contributor to climate change.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Guavanaut posted:

The good thing is that there's a fair body of research from the BLM protests last year that Covid didn't spread well at all in outdoor protest type environments even with crowding.

The bad thing is that didn't account for Omicron, most BLM protestors tried their best to mask and sanitise, and these fucks are protesting for the right to crowd indoors after.

BLM protests stayed local, as a rule, but you can guarantee people have travelled to London to take part in this one. There's no way that someone hasn't picked Omicron up on the journey and taken it back home.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

forkboy84 posted:

Steve Baker thinks he can be PM? loving lol.

Also nice of them to spell out clearly that the entire point of Brexit is extremist Thatcherite economic policies.

Should really need to be said but clearly does.

Also that someone persuaded farage not to run against incumbents

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1472285948494946304

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

happyhippy posted:

Because January will have the new customs rules, and he can be on GB News saying its all the EUs fault

Wonder if that plays into why they were in such a hurry to shut down the NI protocol? Surely that's gonna be a harder sell with time.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Shyrka posted:

Uh... forget about that centurion who stabbed Jesus to kill him faster as an act of mercy?

poo poo is Longinus even canon or just something made up for anime?

The centurion stabbed Jesus to look at his blood. It's not an act of mercy, they just knew that if the plasma had separated from the red blood it meant that his heart hasn't been beating for a significantly long time. In other words they were checking he was dead (and he was).

It's biblical canon and probably featured to ensure the miracle of the resurrection in this particular myth is clear cut.

John 19:34 (NIV)

"Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus’ side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water."

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 19, 2021

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Call an election Alex. Go to the people in your time of need. They will love you and reward you if you speak to them. It'll be like when Winston went on the underground in that film.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Azza Bamboo posted:

The centurion stabbed Jesus to look at his blood. It's not an act of mercy, they just knew that if the plasma had separated from the red blood it meant that his heart hasn't been beating for a significantly long time. In other words they were checking he was dead (and he was).

It's biblical canon and probably featured to ensure the miracle of the resurrection in this particular myth is clear cut.

John 19:34 (NIV)

"Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus’ side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water."

He's not done til the juices run clear.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's more Saint Lawrence (patron saint of grill chefs and comedians).

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Hu San Yang (the girl with two swords).

It’s the story of 36 celestial stars and 72 earth stars, or as my professor called it “the story of 107 men and one woman.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Great now I want to play suikoden, again.

Should probably read/watch water margin at this point.