Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

Attack of the Giant Funge

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Happy holidays friendos!

We're watching something super interesting tonight for Coupons & Deals Movie Nite, it's a Rod Serling made-for-TV movie adaptation of Dickens that I'd never heard of before but it looks really neat:

The UN funded it as an anti-nuclear-war film similar to Dr. Strangelove, to the point that it has both Peter Sellers and Sterling Hayden in it. And it's Mank's only TV directorial credit! 4pm PST 7pm EST at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Sig by Heather Papps

Robot Made of Meat

In a cookie-based economy, money would be fungible, frangible, and friable.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

*Crosses legs, exhales, taps mouth of pipe on table's edge.* Yes. Yes I think there were some Funges on your father's side. *adjusts glasses sadly* An unfortunate lot, those were.

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Happy holidays friendos!

We're watching something super interesting tonight for Coupons & Deals Movie Nite, it's a Rod Serling made-for-TV movie adaptation of Dickens that I'd never heard of before but it looks really neat:

The UN funded it as an anti-nuclear-war film similar to Dr. Strangelove, to the point that it has both Peter Sellers and Sterling Hayden in it. And it's Mank's only TV directorial credit! 4pm PST 7pm EST at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Saw it when Turner Classic movies aired it ... A handful of years ago. But I can confirm, Peter Sellers performance in it was top fuckin rate

BoldFrankensteinMir

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Saw it when Turner Classic movies aired it ... A handful of years ago. But I can confirm, Peter Sellers performance in it was top fuckin rate

Good old TCM, Robert Osborne was 100% who I wanted to be when I grew up.

Sig by Heather Papps

alnilam

Good old TCM, Robert Osborne was 100% who I wanted to be when I grew up.

was he the guy who introduced the movies? He taught me so many neat movie facts

ty manifisto

Tampa Bae

Please, this is all I have
I don't remember what triggered it but I thought "What's my favorite album front to back" and now I have a list of 25 albums without any repeat artists

Orbs, what are 3-5 of your favorite whole albums? I need to add more to my work playlist queue

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tampa Bae posted:

Orbs, what are 3-5 of your favorite whole albums? I need to add more to my work playlist queue

Ooh, good question. Albums I have been known to listen to start-to-finish:

XTC: Oranges and Lemons
Alice Cooper: Billion Dollar Babies
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (self-titled debut album)
John Hartford: Catalogue

The last two are bluegrass so, your interests may differ.

Sig by Heather Papps

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas

Tampa Bae posted:

I don't remember what triggered it but I thought "What's my favorite album front to back" and now I have a list of 25 albums without any repeat artists

Belle & Sebastian, The Boy With the Arab Strap
Joanna Newsom, Ys
Martha, Blisters in the Pit of My Heart
Screaming Females, Rose Mountain
Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Prof. Crocodile

Tampa Bae posted:

I have a pretty predictable white guy list...

Pixies Bossanova
Belly Star
Titus Andronics The Monitor
The Velvet Underground Loaded
Outkast Stankonia

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness 3-5 times

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Tampa Bae

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness 3-5 times
1979 is on my drinking playlist for sure

My music is all over the place, I just listened to anything I could convince my friends to burn for me when I was a teenager, just give them a stack of CD-Rs and told them to go hog wild. Lots of mix tapes.

Asian Kung-Fu Generation's "Sol-fa"
Foo Fighter's "The Colour and the Shape"
Jay-Z's "The Black Album"
Anberlin's "Never Take Friendship Personal"
Scandal's "Best Scandal" (The japanese band not the american one)

All of them are tied to phases of my life so it's all nostalgia. Listening to music always brings me back to when I first started listening to it and I've lived in three very different places so a lot of music is super nostalgic for me

once I got further down there were all sorts of wild stuff in metal, punk, ska, country, pop, r&b, just a bit of everything

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
The Volatile Utopian Real Estate Market
Today's Empires Are Tomorrow's Ashes
One Nation Under A Groove
We Almost Lost Detroit
Uprising

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
those are just some good albums, it's really easy to overthink picking faves

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Tampa Bae

also for content post yt links to some of your favorite songs from those albums so maybe you can catch someone with a new favorite band

Pretty mellow rock music, unconventional sounding singer. Asian Kung-Fu Generation was the first band I bought a CD for and shaped up my music taste for a long time, I begged my parents to buy it just because I liked the art on the CD case I've bought almost every CD they've made to this day just to have a physical copy of the artwork. I had moved to America when the Album Sol-fa came out so I had a friend buy and ship it to me from Japan and I still listen to the full album at least once a month going on almost 20 years. After Sol-fa came out they ended up getting huge because they did anime openings for Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycjYumP24rc

There was this christian girl on my bus in middle school who loved rock music and introduced me to a lot of music like Flyleaf and Anberlin. The first time I talked to her she sat beside me on the bus and asked what I was listening to and she really liked it, the next day she gave me this album and said it was her favorite. It was still in the shrink wrap and everything so she must have bought another copy that day. We were really good friends but she passed away in high school and this album makes me remember all the fun we had together. I spent most of middle school hanging out at her house and her parents were like my second family
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghsqi8ABBnk

Gramps

Tampa Bae posted:

Supporting Caste by Propagandhi
Like Clockwork by Queens of the Stone Age
Vheissu by Thrice

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tampa Bae posted:

also for content post yt links to some of your favorite songs from those albums so maybe you can catch someone with a new favorite band

Probably my favorite track off O&L but it's a hard choice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anY26NISlzc

Sig by Heather Papps

Tampa Bae

Gramps posted:

Supporting Caste by Propagandhi
Like Clockwork by Queens of the Stone Age
Vheissu by Thrice
Oh hell, I Sat By the Ocean is the reason I bought a bass guitar, that was a great album. September by Earth Wind and Fire was the other

Tampa Bae

Probably my favorite track off O&L but it's a hard choice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anY26NISlzc
It starts out like Jazz and turns into Talking Heads and Devo, I love it

Prof. Crocodile

all the albums on this page are real good, honestly, although there are 1 or 2 I haven’t heard but I trust the yobbers

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tampa Bae posted:

It starts out like Jazz and turns into Talking Heads and Devo, I love it

Every time I see someone identifies as a porpoise on the forums I hear the line in my head: We're spending millions to learn to speak por-poise, but human loneliness is still a deafening noise.

Sig by Heather Papps

Tampa Bae

Prof. Crocodile posted:

all the albums on this page are real good, honestly, although there are 1 or 2 I haven’t heard but I trust the yobbers
This time next week I'll have heard them all too. I have a byob punk playlist and it was great, I love hearing new music and byob hasnt steered me wrong yet, I wish I came here years ago

Tampa Bae

Every time I see someone identifies as a porpoise on the forums I hear the line in my head: We're spending millions to learn to speak por-poise, but human loneliness is still a deafening noise.
I'm not sure what that means but I identify as a purpose and that purpose is to have a good time with all of you

BoldFrankensteinMir

Movie nite pre-show is about to begin- tonight we're watching the Max Headroom Christmas Special! https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Sig by Heather Papps

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Is there a thread somewhere for expected spoilers or like spoilers on stuff that's way old? I like trolling people with spoilers that was obviously gonna be the outcome. Like spoiling a Rom-Com by telling people they end up together or a super hero movie by letting them know the hero wins.

Secondly, I kinda feel like spoilers for old movies should be reapplied at some point in time. At a certain point movies hit the spot that new people rarely see them and so they shouldn't be given info. after 2 years I think spoiling is less of an issue because people would have seen the movie if it really was a big deal, but I don't tell people anything about movies(I like people being fully blind going in) for 80's movies or some 90's and older that I know they haven't seen. Dark City would be lovely to have spoiled even though it's 26 years old there are people that haven't seen it and so things like that should be protected.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Finger Prince

Tampa Bae posted:

Avalanches - Since I Left You
Avalanches - We Will Always Love You
Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
Beck - Odelay
That's just off the top of my head, if I thought about it more, I'd have a crisis of like 20+ albums to split hairs over. And I don't even really listen to full albums much.

Tampa Bae

nesamdoom posted:

Is there a thread somewhere for expected spoilers or like spoilers on stuff that's way old? I like trolling people with spoilers that was obviously gonna be the outcome. Like spoiling a Rom-Com by telling people they end up together or a super hero movie by letting them know the hero wins.

Secondly, I kinda feel like spoilers for old movies should be reapplied at some point in time. At a certain point movies hit the spot that new people rarely see them and so they shouldn't be given info. after 2 years I think spoiling is less of an issue because people would have seen the movie if it really was a big deal, but I don't tell people anything about movies(I like people being fully blind going in) for 80's movies or some 90's and older that I know they haven't seen. Dark City would be lovely to have spoiled even though it's 26 years old there are people that haven't seen it and so things like that should be protected.
The Something Awful Forums > Main > Happy Holidays from BYOB! > Rosebud killed Dumbledore

Gramps

Tampa Bae posted:

This time next week I'll have heard them all too. I have a byob punk playlist and it was great, I love hearing new music and byob hasnt steered me wrong yet, I wish I came here years ago

Wait until you get to try a decent piece of pie

Tampa Bae

Gramps posted:

Wait until you get to try a decent piece of pie
I actually bought a pie at a local bakery I just forgot to post. It had oreo cookies on it and my sister and niece came over two hours later and it was gone

Pie is good. I want to try fresh, real pumpkin pie

more falafel please

forums poster

Tampa Bae posted:

I actually bought a pie at a local bakery I just forgot to post. It had oreo cookies on it and my sister and niece came over two hours later and it was gone

Pie is good. I want to try fresh, real pumpkin pie

if you can get pie pumpkins near you (I assume you can at least in the fall, but idk how Florida works) it's actually super easy to turn those into pumpkin pie filling. you just cut them in half, put them cut side down on a baking sheet and roast them for like an hour and scoop all the flesh out, and that's basically what you would buy in a can

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Manifisto

some albums I've listened to a bunch of times, there are some genre similarities I guess but I tried to pick ones that may be less well known:

Throwing Muses - The Real Ramona

first song on the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFzCtKZo24M

Sarah Blasko - The Overture & The Underscore
this is a great video for a great song, not sure why the video is not on yt:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5mmj8x

Winterpills - The Light Divides
I feel like these guys are almost completely unknown which is tragic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-AyT7yGdTo

the darling buds - erotica
imo this album is one of the biggest pieces of underrated brilliance out there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sOmchB7of0

for a long dead band they've been reasonably active in the past few years!

that dog. - retreat from the sun
anna waronker is a super talented songwriter and this album which is about depression has some bangin songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubujniiNgS8

ty nesamdoom!

Tampa Bae

more falafel please posted:

if you can get pie pumpkins near you (I assume you can at least in the fall, but idk how Florida works) it's actually super easy to turn those into pumpkin pie filling. you just cut them in half, put them cut side down on a baking sheet and roast them for like an hour and scoop all the flesh out, and that's basically what you would buy in a can
When I said real I mean a family recipe passed down, I can cook but it won't be the same as a grandmother baking one. I think I said it during thanksgiving but someone else cooking food for you hits different

B33rChiller

Hey, I ain't reading before posing, but hope y'alls doing good.

Been a while, and I want to thank fisto for having tunes ready immediately upon my re-appearance.

Gonna have our Xmas morning tomorrow, because I have to go away to work for 2 weeks on tuesday. My daughter is playing with a friend up the street, Mrs. Chiller is playing a tile game with her mother (visiting Canada from Netherlands for a 4 month stay), and I'm doing my own thing, unharassed.

Hope you all are well, and I bring a special offer for any Vancouver Island goons: Can I give you some Endlers and Mystery Snails, PLEASE?

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
BoldFrankensteinMir

Sig by Heather Papps

They Might Be

Tampa Bae posted:

I love this idea, going to make a Spotify playlist of all the replies!

Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children (1998)
Moby - Play (1999)
The Books - The Lemon Of Pink (2003)
Young Thug - JEFFERY (2016)
Kelly Lee Owens - Inner Song (2020)

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Tampa Bae posted:

The Crow soundtrack, if that counts as an album
James - Stutter
Balagan Limited - Welcome to Russia
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Namor is so awesome, it's dumb as heck that all of the top five best Marvel villains are Fantastic Four characters and so will never be in good movies.

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

Namor is so awesome, it's dumb as heck that all of the top five best Marvel villains are Fantastic Four characters and so will never be in good movies.

The Fantastic Four IP is back with Marvel now :)

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.