Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Trying Star Wars Republic Commando and it’s not very good imo. Super slow and the weapons don’t feel good. It’s a cool idea though and would benefit from a remake or sequel I think.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
As a shooter RC sucks unfortunately, yeah. Super linear, there’s only like four guns, you’re made of paper and everything is a squad gimmick. On the other hand, the squad are fun personalities and it really does try to make you feel like a clone warrior. There’s some great if dated immersive touches like the laser windshield wiper to clean blood off your helmet.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

skasion posted:

There’s some great if dated immersive touches like the laser windshield wiper to clean blood off your helmet.

That is a neat effect. Metroid Prime games have a ton of those too.

I can report that Episode 1 Racer is still pretty good.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 18, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

That is a neat effect. Metroid Prime games have a ton of those too.

I can report that Episode 1 Racer is still pretty good.

Episode 1 Racer was remade/remastered by a studio that involved a goon, it's a really good port of a nice game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, Time Splitters 2, is there a way to unfuck the controls so the aiming reticule doesn't fight against you trying to recenter itself?

If not RIP 10 USD

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/vectorpoem/status/1472196588734877698

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I tried everything I could think of with Time Splitters 2 to fix this control scheme and unless someone comes in with the late report to save me: Time Splitters 2 is without a doubt the absolute worst FPS game I have ever played. I've played some absolute gutter trash garbage but this aiming control setup is so hideously awful I would rather play through literally any other FPS game instead.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPcdUMxwbTk

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

I tried everything I could think of with Time Splitters 2 to fix this control scheme and unless someone comes in with the late report to save me: Time Splitters 2 is without a doubt the absolute worst FPS game I have ever played. I've played some absolute gutter trash garbage but this aiming control setup is so hideously awful I would rather play through literally any other FPS game instead.

Play the third one, it’s great. Controls are fine. I gave up on 2 very quickly.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t really like 3. Feels like it’s missing something and the campaign is very cringe.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whaaaat. It’s so good co op

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s definitely better if the Goldeneye/Perfect Dark control scheme doesn’t gel with you. It has more traditional controls.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barudak posted:

Time Splitters 2 is without a doubt the absolute worst FPS game I have ever played.

You have led a truly blessed life.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Convex posted:

You have led a truly blessed life.

I've played some dire-rear end FPS games, and in all of those even if the aiming was bad and the controls slippery, they were not actively fighting against me which is how the aiming controls work in Time Splitters 2. I will take playing dos shareware garbage lost to time on my 101 demo disc over another moment of trying to just get the crosshair over an enemy in Time Splitters 2.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Barudak posted:

Time Splitters 2 is without a doubt the absolute worst FPS game I have ever played.

Spicy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that reminds me i installed homefront and forgot about it. need to check out that ts2 port

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

site posted:

that reminds me i installed homefront and forgot about it. need to check out that ts2 port

I messed with this back when the latest TS2Redux update dropped a couple months ago and there was nothing I could do to adjust controls (vertical mouse snapping included) or mouse sensitivity--loading up Homefront to alter options did nothing despite what the readme said. Neotokyo also crashed without fail despite me using the latest version where that had ostensibly been fixed.

Some of the levels were neat, the cartoon style was charming, the attention to detail is perfect in places (like barrels leaking liquids realistically when you shoot them *chef kiss*), the cutscenes and voice acting were generally really good, and the sheer number of assets with all the different time periods is mind blowing when you consider the scope of the game as a whole even though most individual levels feels a bit lackluster and limited on their own. Overall it was nowhere near the same league as Goldeneye or Perfect Dark. TS2 feels absolutely barebones when you consider the variety of equipment and objectives the Rare games had, but I think a rerelease that gets it playing & running better on PC would go a long way toward sanding down the rough edges. Like Perfect Dark, the deathmatch & challenge levels are the best part of the game (aside from some real gimmicky challenge maps) and this is where all the variety found piecemeal throughout the campaign comes together as a whole and it really elevates things.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Hey all, I picked up Star Trek Voyager Elite Force (1) in the gog.com sale, and I was wondering if there were any popular mods for it. Like higher res or widescreen support or something sort of basic like that.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The worst FPS I've ever played is definitely the Arma mod version of day z. Unreal 3 is also close.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
So literally nobody here played William Shatner’s Tekwar, huh.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MMF Freeway posted:

The worst FPS I've ever played is definitely the Arma mod version of day z. Unreal 3 is also close.

I used to think Unreal 3 was fine until I recently went back to it. I guess I didn’t realize how slow it was back then.:barf:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
You guys are triggering me. Unreal Tournament 3

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The same criticism applies to many Unreal 3 games.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Convex posted:

So literally nobody here played William Shatner’s Tekwar, huh.

I played the demo, when the game was released. The demo did not do much to sell the idea of buying the full game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

civvie's video on tekwar is a prime example on why playing the game is not advisable and if the dogshit normal gameplay doesn't get you the absolutely eye-searing clusterfuck at the end will

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Back before there were gameplay videos on YouTube the screenshots on MobyGames at least made it look interesting. They were cluttered and a bit off looking though. It’s much worse in motion. I was intrigued despite every review I came across saying it was garbage. I eventually got a cheap copy and have never made it very far into the first mission.

The intro movie, which is really just the show’s intro shrunk down to fit on CD is probably the worst FMV compression I’ve ever seen. You can’t tell what’s going on 80% of the time. It’s like they made one attempt to compress it down, decided it was good enough and tossed it on the CD without another thought.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

civvie's video on tekwar is a prime example on why playing the game is not advisable and if the dogshit normal gameplay doesn't get you the absolutely eye-searing clusterfuck at the end will

cruelty squad is the modern tekwar the gamers need

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
But guys, tekwar is a Build game! The holy quadrilogy of retro eff pee esses!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Baron von Eevl posted:

But guys, tekwar is a Build game! The holy quadrilogy of retro eff pee esses!

build is a poo poo engine and the only good thing to come of it was duke carribean

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Have you heard of our lord and savior, Redneck Rampage?

Ow! Stop! Cut it out, it was just a joke!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Extreme Paintbrawl lived on the weird gaming racks at office supply stores until discs stopped being a thing

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My cousin had Extreme Paintbrawl II, along with a few other items off LGR’s 17 Worst PC games list from way back at the start of his YouTube career.

Edit: Upon further review the second game isn’t Build. But it’s still awful.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

My cousin had Extreme Paintbrawl II, along with a few other items off LGR’s 17 Worst PC games list from way back at the start of his YouTube career.

Edit: Upon further review the second game isn’t Build. But it’s still awful.

extreme paintbrawl 2 used an engine called "Genesis 3D," also known for its use in the white power game "ethnic cleansing" and the hezbollah simulator "special force"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Weedle posted:

extreme paintbrawl 2 used an engine called "Genesis 3D," also known for its use in the white power game "ethnic cleansing" and the hezbollah simulator "special force"

Ewwwww. I first heard about Ethnic Cleansing during some sensational reporting about Prussian Blue back in the mid-2000s. A “girl band” consisting of a couple of twin girls whose shitbag mom had them sing White Nationalist songs.

Also Catechumen. The Christian FPS, also featured on LGR’s list.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

genesis 3D: the ideological fps engine

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I was gonna say Nitemare 3D for my personal worst, but it's also charming in its own way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvPLNfgc4GU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The video game adaptation of Battle Los Angeles is still my pick for worst FPS I've ever played

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Worst FPS? Ohhh. This is tough. It's not quite #1 but Ilse of the Dead (1993) is a close contender.

Part FPS, part point-and-click, all tedious. The only thing I can give a positive score to is the various animations. Outside of that it's boring, dull shite and an absolute headache to get around the island with the least-helpful ingame map system ever. Oh, and using some things will just kill you outright, as will going to pick others up. The rifle is a double-whammy of kicking you in the groin, since it kills you in both cases. Any clues about this along the way and/or how to avoid it? lol get hosed nerd, absolutely not. Drop dead and start again!

The actual worst in my book (at least as far as things I've played) would have to be Saints of Virtue. This one is a cure for insomnia.What do you mean you've never heard of it? Have you not experienced the joy of reading "ammo for sword"?!

Casimir Radon posted:

Have you heard of our lord and savior, Redneck Rampage?

Ow! Stop! Cut it out, it was just a joke!
Man that game is poo poo. I would say the so-called humour hasn't aged well, but that would imply it was funny in the first place. I hated it then and I hate it now. The only difference is that I hate it now for various technical reasons in addition to how utterly unfunny it is.

kirbysuperstar posted:

build is a poo poo engine
I'm amazed that such an engine actually got so much traction after Duke3D. It was in such an awkward position; presenting itself as being way ahead of the aging Doom/idTech1 (which was of course true) when Quake/idTech2 was the actual competition of the time (and something which pissed all over Build when it came to features). Build was/is a shoddy & slapdash "get it out now" engine and laughably unstable; exploring a map with no-clipping on (possibly for testing purposes while making your own levels) could -- and often would -- crash the entire loving thing for reasons unknown to man, beast & god alike. Yet 3rd party devs still opted for it over idTech2 (resulting in Blood, TekWar (:laffo:) and Redneck Rampage, for reasons which I can only assume were down to budget.

Because it sure as poo poo wasn't down to having those loving doors. Look at these amazing swinging doors we got working! Marvel as you get loving killed by them for no good reason at all! Suck on that one, Doom, with your lousy BSP stuff! Stability? Consistency? Pah! We've got doors!

Sure, since the source release stuff like eDuke32 has made the engine workable and not the absolute minefield of bugs and crashes it used to be, but there's a reason why id's older engines have gone on to much greater things post-source release while Build sits in the corner kicking its heels with mere stability (and safe door mechanics) as something to shout about.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 19, 2021

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think Redneck Rampage was the only other Build game other than Duke3D on Gog back in the day. After finishing Duke I went and bought a copy expecting more of the same and was sooooo disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Say what you want about Duke3D's humour but the one-liners -- despite all being lifted from other things -- actually work. Duke's a dumb loving meathead with a huge ego but he has character, and the actual delivery of said lines actually helps a lot.

RR on the other hand is the antithesis of that. Just a bunch of poo poo lines with awful delivery from a complete personality-void of a character.

The actual game design for each isn't even worth comparing.