Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The_Doctor posted:

It’s giving off a tracking signal, that ain’t no regular watch.

Could be a watch given to Clint by Laura with an inscription, hence him wanting to find it so people don't use it to find his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I know we’re all very excited about Echo and Patriot and Ms Marvel but I’ll be kind of bummed if the young new “face” of the Avengers is a beautiful blonde white woman bolstered by their new de facto ultimate weapon, the most powerful being in the universe… who is also a beautiful blonde white woman

I really loved the Avengers, but Jesus Christ on a cracker by 2021 standards the first phase MCU is relentlessly, overwhelmingly white.

Also, I just… I dunno, Black Widows aren’t team players, and Yelena is still a contract killer. Natasha got fully out of the life so we didn’t have to be conflicted about her, she was transparently seeking redemption for hire crimes. It’s harder to become sympathetic to Yelena, when she’s literally still just accepting wet work for pay and by the sound of it doesn’t really ever bother to think about who she’s murdering.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Could be a watch given to Clint by Laura with an inscription, hence him wanting to find it so people don't use it to find his family.

Nooo, that's too simple! It's obviously Stan Lee's watch, the most powerful artifact in existence.

Everyone posted:

Killing Clint would get Yelena killed by the MCU in general based on the fact that very, very few of the MCU villains have actually survived the movies/shows in which they've appeared. Really the only superhero who makes much of an effort to avoid murdering his enemies is Spider-Man. So, unless Yelena will somehow be positioned as a Spider-Man villain, if she kills Clint, she'll die in turn based on how the MCU has worked thus far.

And the bleak/sad endings of Phase 4 titles is a matter of opinion and I disagree with that opinion. Taking them one at a time:

WandaVision: Vision and the kids are gone. For now. And a tiny town in New Jersey really dislikes Wanda Maximoff. Still, she at least seems to be trying to get control of her magic (even if she's reading the creepy dark book) and otherwise taking responsibility for her power.

Falcon/Winter Soldier: Yep, Zeno killing the slightly clueless Flag-smasher kids, but the issue they fought for is apparently being addressed in-universe. Sam's family got to keep their boat and Bucky seems to be getting his soul put back together.

Loki Season One was clearly part one of at least a two part story, so more bleak/sad cliffhanger than ending there.

Black Widow's bleak ending happened in the middle of Endgame but in Black Widow itself the Widows got their minds back and Yelena lived to break into people's burned out apartment, making awesome mac and cheese and criticize cutlery choices, so good?

What If? mostly had even the bleak endings round out on a hopeful note at the end.

Shang-Chi and Katy took Wong to do karaoke. That's pretty much the opposite of bleak and sad. Yeah, Wenwu died, but the 10 rings are in the hands of decent person now.

The Eternals had the big gently caress-off Celestial thing decide that humans were at least going to get something that approached a fair trial instead of just getting exploded out of hand.

Finally Spider-Man No Way Home did end on a bit of a downer. Still Ned and MJ are both alive. Ned can do magic (and Dr. Strange probably won't be forgetting about him). There's still plenty of hope for the gang to get back together. Also, the Multiverse is officially a thing now. And Spider-Man just cured and saved the lives of five of his most dangerous, iconic villains. Figure at some point that's going to pay some serious dividends for him in the "Somebody help save my rear end" department eventually.

:allears:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Gonna guess the watch is:

1) a do-nothing nostalgic memento and only has a tracker because an avenger wore it
2) some Edith type “access to a super-weapon” thing
3) Steve Rodgers’, but with the soul of the Red Skull trapped inside laughing every so often, and Zemo will get it in the end and they’ll have hilarious capers where he has to have conversations with his watch and try not to look crazy

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s just the watch from Pulp Fiction

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Go to the movies tonight and you'll see that you're not too far off.

Agents of Shield is not the same continuity as the Netflix shows

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Brass posted:

Nooo, that's too simple! It's obviously Stan Lee's watch, the most powerful artifact in existence.

Alternatively; why would Clint leave something with sentimental value that he's worried could be used to track his family just lying around Avenger's compound, and never bother to check up on it following the compounds destruction?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Does the show end with Hawkeye bringing home the dog to his family because if not im gonna steal christmas

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bust Rodd posted:

Does the show end with Hawkeye bringing home the dog to his family because if not im gonna steal christmas

His mission done pizza dog goes to find another hero to mentor.
Does miles morales need help?
Or Kamila Khan?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s just the watch from Pulp Fiction

Fisk likes rambly Bible stories, checks out

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

I know we’re all very excited about Echo and Patriot and Ms Marvel but I’ll be kind of bummed if the young new “face” of the Avengers is a beautiful blonde white woman bolstered by their new de facto ultimate weapon, the most powerful being in the universe… who is also a beautiful blonde white woman

I really loved the Avengers, but Jesus Christ on a cracker by 2021 standards the first phase MCU is relentlessly, overwhelmingly white.

First phase wasn't just white, it was very much straight white male. The only "person of color" was Hulk and his color was green - which is like saying that Donald Trump counts as a person of color because his color was orange.

Looking at Avengers parallels:

Captain America is Sam Wilson, who is black.
"Iron Man" is James Rhodey who is also black.
"Hawkeye" is (presumably) Kate Bishop or Kate-Bishop as Yelena says who is female and possibly gay/bi
Black Widow is Yelena who is still female but possibly also gay/bi
Hulk is possibly Jennifer Walters now who is white but green and also female
Thor is probably still white and male but might be female depending on how Love and Thunder shakes out

and for extra potential team members

Shang-chi is Asian
Loki is bi
Black Panther will certainly be black but also likely female (and unfortunately in at least the next movie likely initially played by anti-vax nutter Letitia Wright)

There's a considerable amount of diversity compared the the initial Avengers team of five straight white guys and a token also straight white woman from 2012.

Bust Rodd posted:

Also, I just… I dunno, Black Widows aren’t team players, and Yelena is still a contract killer. Natasha got fully out of the life so we didn’t have to be conflicted about her, she was transparently seeking redemption for hire crimes. It’s harder to become sympathetic to Yelena, when she’s literally still just accepting wet work for pay and by the sound of it doesn’t really ever bother to think about who she’s murdering.

Do we really know that this is true? We learned last episode that Yelena got dusted. And she was dusted while in the middle of tracking down other possible Red Widows and ruining their expensive, blood-money-bought carpets freeing them from mind control. Yes she's taken a contract but that contract is to kill the guy that she thinks murdered her sister. It seems likely that any previous contracts she's taken were probably for people she didn't believe needed to continue sucking our oxygen.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 18, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If Clint is killed by Yelena, then we'll never see her and Kate kiss!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everyone posted:

"Hawkeye" is (presumably) Kate Bishop or Kate-Bishop as Yelena says who is female and possibly gay/bi

I don't recall anything indicating their sexuality one way or another for either character, so is this based on things from the comics? Or have I just missed/forgotten something? Or is it just a case of "there's nothing there now, so it could go any which way in future"?

Everyone posted:

Thor is probably still white and male but might be female depending on how Love and Thunder shakes out

I know there's been no announcement or anything, but I can't imagine Portman coming back for just one movie where she has a secondary role given she left due to how boring a role Jane was in the first two films. I also doubt Disney/Marvel/Feige want Thor to continue a central role in the Avengers when all the other original Avengers have died or retired. I would assume Thor himself will continue to adventure as Odinson or something after leaving with the "Asgaurdians of the Galaxy" at the end of Endgame, because Hemsworth seems to love playing the role now that he can work with directors who'll allow him some freedom in how he approaches it and are willing to be more comic rather than just going for straight dramatic stories, while it seems likely to me that Portman will be Thor for a while. Which, it's possible she'll be the "queen" that Valkyrie is searching for according to the actress too. There's rumors of Angela being in Love and Thunder too, so maybe not. We'll see though, I guess.

Thor doesn't even have Mjolnir anymore, he has Stormbreaker. So I would assume Jane will get Mjolnir, assuming the power of Thor. It'd just seem weird for Thor himself to take back Mjolnir when he has Stormbreaker too. It's symbolic of him moving on from the "training wheels" that Mjolnir now represents in the MCU.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 18, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Going by the comics, Kate is nominally straight but 'not that straight' per the words of another upcoming MCU character. She also has a ton of queer friends to the point where she feels like she's basically the token straight friend.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

tsob posted:

I also doubt Disney/Marvel/Feige want Thor to continue a central role in the Avengers when all the other original Avengers have died or retired.

It's funny to think that for Thor, who is at least 1500 years old, he only knew the Avengers for just over the decade. From his perspective, they might as well be friends he made at summer camp.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

It's funny to think that for Thor, who is at least 1500 years old, he only knew the Avengers for just over the decade. From his perspective, they might as well be friends he made at summer camp.

"Oh there was this one kid, he was super cool, what was his name... Stan? Dave? No, STEVE! God, he was cool but in like a way where he wasn't trying to be... I wonder what happened to him"

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Thor knows two Steves - there's no guarantee he can tell them apart or knows that one of them died.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

If Clint is killed by Yelena, then we'll never see her and Kate kiss!

Marvel would never have the guts to give us the TLoU2.

"Stupid old man." Bonk

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

RatHat posted:

Agents of Shield is not the same continuity as the Netflix shows

I know, that was why i said "not too far off," because it is literally every universe except that one.

Poor Coulson.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Thundercracker posted:

Marvel would never have the guts to give us the TLoU2.

No, they've made objectively terrible stories carried by strong performances before.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s not what “objectively” means

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kate pulling a murder spree like Ellie with the Bow and a machete for the season finale.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s not what “objectively” means

You're right, only like half the performances were any good. Thanks for reminding me.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I suspect the watch contains a message from Natalie to Clint. Something along the lines of telling him that life is worth living. Advice she would give him when he was Ronin but would apply now.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

I don't recall anything indicating their sexuality one way or another for either character, so is this based on things from the comics? Or have I just missed/forgotten something? Or is it just a case of "there's nothing there now, so it could go any which way in future"?

Pretty much the latter combined with a good bit of wishful thinking and just the sheer chemistry between Steinfeld and Pugh in that scene. Also Kate lives very much alone (with only a single real fork) despite being attractive, smart, funny and very personable. Figure if she wanted a boyfriend, she'd have one or five by now. And also the only college people we saw her with were both girls. I'm probably reading too much into it, but I can see at least the possibility of it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Fwiw on the Marvel page on Disney+, the character in the dead center of the banner is Sam.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, like, Hawkeye (Kate) is cool, but Hawkeye is and has never been a centrepiece of the Marvel Universe. Captain America, however, sure as hell is.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Everyone posted:

Perhaps they could be gay for each other :thunkher:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Just saw NWH. If you have a chance to see it in the theater safely you won’t regret it.

I’m not in the mood for post movie spoiler talk right now, but They made a massive deal about the kids getting into MIT. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t they film some of Black Panther 2 at MIT for IronHeart? Possible cameo telegraphing?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I was watching daredevil again due to the original rumours about kingpin returning but I do have to say, as bloated and stuffed as it would be for one single episode - Hawkeye should fight Bullseye

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Marsupial Ape posted:

Just saw NWH. If you have a chance to see it in the theater safely you won’t regret it.

I’m not in the mood for post movie spoiler talk right now, but They made a massive deal about the kids getting into MIT. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t they film some of Black Panther 2 at MIT for IronHeart? Possible cameo telegraphing?

They are tech nerds and it's a world class institution that is like a few hours away from their home. Also Tony went there. And Killmonger. And like 99% given tech heroes/villains in the Marvel Universe.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Re: The NWH post-credits thing and how it connects with the TV shows

With the trailer for Dr. Strange 2 at the end, I assume the theory is that the darker looking Dr Strange that shows up at the very end of the trailer is the one from 'What If', right? It sure seems like it could be him now that we are going fully into multiverse stuff.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FlamingLiberal posted:

Re: The NWH post-credits thing and how it connects with the TV shows

With the trailer for Dr. Strange 2 at the end, I assume the theory is that the darker looking Dr Strange that shows up at the very end of the trailer is the one from 'What If', right? It sure seems like it could be him now that we are going fully into multiverse stuff.

That was my thought. I think we see like other limbs coming out of him at one point and I think I recall that octupus-thing as one of the mystical beasties that Dark Strange absorbed in that episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Everyone posted:

That was my thought. I think we see like other limbs coming out of him at one point and I think I recall that octupus-thing as one of the mystical beasties that Dark Strange absorbed in that episode.
Yes that shot you are talking about is very quick before it cuts, but when this trailer gets put online officially I will have to watch that again

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Dr Strange trailer and leaked Lego set spoilers: The tentacled monster probably isn't Shuma-Gorath as there's a Lego set of it that leaked and it's called something else. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more than a few different Stranges in the multiverse movie.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

mutata posted:

Dr Strange trailer and leaked Lego set spoilers: The tentacled monster probably isn't Shuma-Gorath as there's a Lego set of it that leaked and it's called something else. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more than a few different Stranges in the multiverse movie.

Dunno about the Lego stuff but did you not spot the honkin' big eyeball at the centre of the tentacle mass just before Strange splits the van in half? If that ain't Shuma-Gorath then I don't know what is..!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aidan_702 posted:

I was watching daredevil again due to the original rumours about kingpin returning but I do have to say, as bloated and stuffed as it would be for one single episode - Hawkeye should fight Bullseye

But like, actual Bullseye, not whatever Totally Not Bullseye they had in Daredevil.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

mutata posted:

Yeah it’s Gargantos, a Namor villain.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Mulva posted:

They are tech nerds and it's a world class institution that is like a few hours away from their home. Also Tony went there. And Killmonger. And like 99% given tech heroes/villains in the Marvel Universe.

That’s it. That’s where the problem starts Mephisto Institute of Technology .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Marsupial Ape posted:

That’s it. That’s where the problem starts Mephisto Institute of Technology .

No, the problem started when the MCU Massachusetts Institute of Technology was built on the same grounds as the Mephisto Institute of Demonology (President A. Harkness)