Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That last page holy poo poo :stare:

Also, Saitama telling Genos that his heart got stronger :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

That last page holy poo poo :stare:

Also, Saitama telling Genos that his heart got stronger :shobon:

Saitama forced the world into color, too. Just like "god".

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

chiasaur11 posted:

Saitama forced the world into color, too. Just like "god".

Is Garou gonna get one too?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Holy loving poo poo Murata

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Little did Garou know that god slayer fist is resisted by humans and monsters.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hell yeah this is the good stuff

that color spread page hit my heart just right

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Saitama's dash being a fake out was perfect.

One nice character detail that has become more apparent as this arc has progressed is that BS is quite into cooperation. Things like holding Amai Mask in place for Fuhrer Ugly's face caving punch, protecting Homeless Emperor from Atomic Samurai, and now suggesting a team up with Garou all make sense considering his nature.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
This is so good. That last panel is amazing too :stare:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Murata's art is excellent as always. ONE's comics have maybe the best portrayals of high speed/teleportation style abilities I've seen. Way the high speed movements this arc is done both in this version and even the original webcomic version are fantastic.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Saitama's dash being a fake out was perfect.

I really like that Garou didn't try to hit him, because it was in the brief moment where he felt human again. And the Flash came in and started poo poo over again.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
My favorite gag about this chapter is Genos is taking Saitama's words to be some big inspirational life affirming thing, when he's actually just talking about how Genos' reactor core is stronger than it used to be. Saitama just got here and has no idea what's going on, is just kind of confused, but willing to compliment his pal on having a sturdier body and not getting completely owned like he used to.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk man, I read it as him actually saying Genos got stronger on the inside, especially since this is literally the one time the “Genos has a wacky misunderstanding about Saitama’s “training”” gag would be kinda lame.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah, I thought he was alluding to the "it's easier to die for a cause than to live for one" kind of thing. It's a sign of character development that Genos doesn't have the same death wish that he used to.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
There's quite a clear difference between "Saitama doesn't know what to say so he makes something up" and "Saitama says something really heartfelt".

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I mean he puts his hand on his reactor core, which is the thing that would have blown up, and says "you got stronger here". He probably was talking about the core.

Saitama is glad he's alive but he doesn't even know what he did besides what King said ("saved Tatsumaki")

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 18, 2021

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I'm swinging between both interpretations, but I'm leaning towards

A) Saitama thinks Genos didn't self-destruct because his reactor was upgraded and could handle more output.

B) Genos thinks Saitama meant his heart has grown stronger because he didn't self-destruct and acted like a true hero.

Just because its funnier.

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 18, 2021

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Saitama is sincere about people's heroics - I think he was being genuine with Genos (his disposition changes when he is told Genos got wrecked protecting someone)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If it was supposed to be a joke it would be funnier than this, tbh.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sometimes Saitama can be genuinely heartfelt and inspiring despite being the overpowered funny guy, that's what makes him a good character.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If ONE/Murata meant for it to be unambiguously referring to his heart, either they should have said the word "heart" in the dialog, or composed the visual such that Saitama wasn't physically touching his core. It would be bad (visual) storytelling.

If ONE/Murata were intending to tear apart a terrible thread on a dead comedy forum, then this was excellent storytelling and the first ARG experience I've enjoyed. I'm ready to enter the metaverse.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Let's be real: if you asked Saitama to identify where the reactor core is on the broken brobot, would he really be smart enough to be able to point it out?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Let's be real: if you asked Saitama to identify where the reactor core is on the broken brobot, would he really be smart enough to be able to point it out?

It's the glowing part you shoot in a video game

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Andrast posted:

It's the glowing part you shoot in a video game

Touché.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I honestly thought he meant it literally--like pretty much all of his other "profound" statements--and it landed like it was profound.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
The joke of the "I didn't do anything" page wouldn't work as well if it wasn't undermining an emotional character building moment

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The heartfelt thing Saitama said was "nice fight" because he has complimented like what, 3 fights in the series? I think him complementing the core was made to be ambiguous by the translator, which is probably what was intended in the original language. At least I think, I know Japanese can have some more subtlety of things based on the context. I don't think it was intended to be a joke in any way though, just Saitama being literal and it sounding profound per usual.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Saitama is capable of being sincere and recognizing heroics, see "Nice Fight" from the Sea King arc

I don't think this was meant as comedy

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Saitama is being sincere because King told him that Genos basically sacrificed himself to save Tatsumaki.

As we all know, Tatsumaki is a sassy child so Genos saving a child from danger deserves sincere praise!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Fellis posted:

The heartfelt thing Saitama said was "nice fight" because he has complimented like what, 3 fights in the series? I think him complementing the core was made to be ambiguous by the translator, which is probably what was intended in the original language. At least I think, I know Japanese can have some more subtlety of things based on the context. I don't think it was intended to be a joke in any way though, just Saitama being literal and it sounding profound per usual.

Nah I read it in the raw version and he says 「ここも強くなった」which is almost exactly the same as "This part here got stronger too"

the thing that King says about kidney stones is just as confusing in the raw version as well as far as I can tell

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saitama isn't just a funny man!

He has a rich inner life!!

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Saitama is still very much capable of appreciating the fight that he no longer has access to. He really wants and misses the chance to do something genuinely heroic and risky to ones own self, and the opportunity to sacrifice your own wellbeing for the sake of people who need your help. "Nice fight" is what he said to Kamen Rider after Sea King because he got his rear end kicked for reals for the sake of a group of strangers that he felt it was his duty to protect from a big gross fish muscle man even at the cost of his own life, and it's the same thing he says to Genos when he risked his life to protect some annoying sassy kid he works with.

It's literally the most sincere and serious thing he says in the entire comic.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Casey Finnigan posted:

Nah I read it in the raw version and he says 「ここも強くなった」which is almost exactly the same as "This part here got stronger too"

the thing that King says about kidney stones is just as confusing in the raw version as well as far as I can tell

They kidney stone part itself makes sense as a cover up since Genos is within earshot. The confusing part to me is top panel there "I did everything I could, as a stone" which I assume means he was statuesque due to fear, but maybe the original Japanese has some weird nuances that made sense in some other way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This chapter had one of the most quietly touching moments the comic has had in a long while and dissecting it in search of a punchline is just wack

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Xarbala posted:

This chapter had one of the most quietly touching moments the comic has had in a long while and dissecting it in search of a punchline is just wack

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
No you don't understand! The last time he defended someone, in the Sea King fight, he ended up just a spine and a half-melted head! Now he's mostly intact except for his limbs against an even stronger opponent! He's commenting on how strong his carapace is now!

Anyway, I think Genos is interpreting it both ways anyway, which is why he's thanking both Saitama and Kuseno. Genos knows what's up.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

We shouldnt be complaining/scrutinizing the saitama/genos moment, we should be complaining that the power scaling is off bc flashy flash should NOT be able to keep up with Platinum Sperm and Garou

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Wait can someone explain how the sperm monster survived King's ultimate attack??

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Reread the chapter it happened in, he just jumped out of the way. Never underestimate sperm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Thoren posted:

Wait can someone explain how the sperm monster survived King's ultimate attack??

He was holding back, too many innocents in the crossfire to risk using any more than .000001% of his power