Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I installed this on my new machine and I'm doing to do a strength heavy weapons build. Probably strike, since I'm doing the big swordz on my ds3 run. Bring on the chicken drumsticks and other ridiculous poo poo. Also dang is farming the first pursuer as a phantom a really easy early game grind. I'm level 60 before beating the first boss and I've been playing for an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Gaius Marius posted:

Following a build guide is cowardice
this

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't follow a guide because most of them are dumb and old.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dark Souls isn't loving Diablo where you have to walk the tightrope with the zen calmness of a Hindu cow or else your character is ruined. Dark Souls is where you play exactly how you want, and succeed because you can, else go play god of war or something.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also DS2 and DS3 allow respecs, and are fairly lenient with handing out upgrade materials. A guide should be followed insofar as it allows you to pick up the best progression materials in as efficient a time as possible, for instance if you were going to make a hexer you'd want to meet up with Licia and Felkin asap. But otherwise you're best off following the normal progression path.

A guide would be most useful if you were going to do soul memory shenanigans, but knowing what I know, you would evaporate on contact with even the weakest pubbie.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
There's no build a soul vessel, the covenant of champions or a few bonfire ascetics can't fix.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

One you unlock the Majula mansion, there's a vessel in the basement.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

FireWorksWell posted:

One you unlock the Majula mansion, there's a vessel in the basement.

And it reappears with a bonfire ascetic, while also respawning the skeleton and adding another. Skeletons drop effigies iirc. This is not overall a great spot to burn ascetics, but if you really need a vessel asap, it's there.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, they drop effigies guaranteed iirc but I'm pretty sure they don't respawn.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Running the majula bonfire up is a fun way to get surprise curbstomped by the miracles lady if you decide to kill her for the stone

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Running the majula bonfire up is a fun way to get surprise curbstomped by the miracles lady if you decide to kill her for the stone

Same but basement skeleton gank squad.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Oscar Wild posted:

Same but basement skeleton gank squad.

Same but the pigs

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Chariot Gauntlet is brutal in NG+. The murderers that drop down from poles are red phantoms, and the one man gank phantom guarding the fog wall respawns.

Good thing the murderer phantom are dumb as bricks and will just suicide between the cracks in the bridge if you jump to the side to the platform near the end of the bridge.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
I hate how From took ever minor criticism of DS 1 to heart when they made this game. Gamers intentionally not engaging with the game and then complaining about how easy it is to run past enemies? Well now you can get knocked out of walking through a fog door, there are 50% more enemies than is fun, enemies have weirdly huge aggro ranges, quitting out doesn’t reset aggro (ok, fair enough), and if you run out of stamina you can’t sprint again for a few seconds.

The run back to Executioner’s chariot is so tedious. You have to go slowly to avoid pulling too many enemies. Trying to pull one torturer at a time and if you take a few too many steps you will pull 4-5 at once.

Executioner’s Chariot is a cool gimmick boss, even if it is pretty easy to just I-frame roll through the spiked wheels. I got him close a few times but then would get tripped up forgetting how slow healing is in this game.

Edit: Still having fun with it though and Skeleton Lords went down first try to that was nice. Huntsman’s Copse is pretty fun except for the whip/axe torturers. Also lol how the DS2 team loved to place items behind small platforming challanges where if you fall it’s an instant death bottomless pit. They are everywhere in this level.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 18, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I could ignore all of those other complaints if it weren’t for the ludicrous Aggro traps this game has for you. The Iron Keep knights, the forest invisible guys, the perched bridge executioners… this game has absolutely no visual logic for line of sight or Aggro radius or anything, it feels totally random whether or not something can see/sense you, and that frustration has just kind of forced me to play the game in a way I really really don’t want to. I still prefer DS2 to DS1, but they are in a different stratem entirely than Bloodborne, DS3, or Sekiro, which I never really found all that frustrating because nothing in those games feels that unfair.

When you can walk into a room and watch a guy in a different room across a lake of lava over 1,000 meters away instantly sprint out of his door and come charging at you it’s like… “what the gently caress?”

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I really like DS2's over the top mob aggro and ganking personally. 1v1ing brain-dead mobs gets old fast. At least with a tag-team, they have a (tiny) chance, it gives a point to weapon reach, and you get to enjoy your own sweeping horizontal attacks in all their glory. It helps keeping things fresh longer. And with the exception of Iron Keep and possibly Iron Passage/Horsefuck Valley, you can reliably run past everything should you wish to. Iron Keep is inconsistent though, even with the jump shortcut on the right over the lava, you still have a reasonable chance of getting interrupted at the fog gate, so you probably want to do a bit of bow clearing before jumping down.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

the guy watching the doorway yelled "hey! fucker comin' through!" and due to the excellent acoustics of Iron Keep alerted everybody in the room

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I do think it's hilarious that the Iron Keep knights are coming at you from so far away that they're outside of the full animation zone and you can see them jumping off a roof in the distance in stop motion.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Pulcinella posted:

The run back to Executioner’s chariot is so tedious. You have to go slowly to avoid pulling too many enemies. Trying to pull one torturer at a time and if you take a few too many steps you will pull 4-5 at once.

I don't know if you're still on this but if you run past the torturers and across the bridge, there's a ledge to the right you can jump to. They'll give up chasing you and most of them will fall through the gaps in the bridge.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FishMcCool posted:

I really like DS2's over the top mob aggro and ganking personally. 1v1ing brain-dead mobs gets old fast. At least with a tag-team, they have a (tiny) chance, it gives a point to weapon reach, and you get to enjoy your own sweeping horizontal attacks in all their glory. It helps keeping things fresh longer. And with the exception of Iron Keep and possibly Iron Passage/Horsefuck Valley, you can reliably run past everything should you wish to. Iron Keep is inconsistent though, even with the jump shortcut on the right over the lava, you still have a reasonable chance of getting interrupted at the fog gate, so you probably want to do a bit of bow clearing before jumping down.

They don't always get the balance right, especially in Scholar, but I generally don't mind needing to approach things slow and tactical in Souls games.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked the invisible forest, very spoopy and atmospheric.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Glimpse posted:

I do think it's hilarious that the Iron Keep knights are coming at you from so far away that they're outside of the full animation zone and you can see them jumping off a roof in the distance in stop motion.

Little dumb glitches like this just add for me. There's a couple areas where you can see dogs walking around in that same vein.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

One of the cool things that the Seeker of Fire mod does is since you can get to Eleum Lloyce before you get through the Shaded Woods (literally they just moved the soul-locked door to the other side of the shrine of winter, i forget where they put the dlc key) you can actually make use of the weird side benefit the Eye of the Priestess has, where in addition to making Aava visible it makes all the enemies in the Shaded Woods visible and valid as lock-on targets.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Did they move the Ivory Flower item? Iirc, it was in Drangelic Castle in SotFS.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

FireWorksWell posted:

Pre-scholar, the keys just appeared in inventory, so Scholar introduced lore-fitting but unfortunate constraints as to when you can head into the DLCs. I wonder at how low a level one could theoretically beeline Sir Weeabo to do the rest of the game with his magnificent sword.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Silvercat Ring and high enough HP as soon as you can, then respec to whatever with that soul vessel in the mansion. The jump down from the cardinal tower bonfire is the hardest part of getting the old iron key.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FishMcCool posted:

Pre-scholar, the keys just appeared in inventory, so Scholar introduced lore-fitting but unfortunate constraints as to when you can head into the DLCs. I wonder at how low a level one could theoretically beeline Sir Weeabo to do the rest of the game with his magnificent sword.

You'd need the Ashen Mist heart to enter the Memory of the Old Iron King to access Alonne, so you'd need to be most of the way through the base game. You could rush to that DLC down at the Iron Keep primal bonfire right after you get the heart and before any other DLCs, but you'll also need to clear most of it out, and beat the Fume Knight before you can interact with the armor.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Phobophilia posted:

I've learnt several things while spamming red eye orbs with the blue acolyte mod.

Firstly, anyone who's ground their soul level up to 838 and/or wearing full havel's ain't worth poo poo. But that's obvious from my DS3 experience.

Secondly, this mod isn't very good at picking up cheaters. I backstabbed this one guy like 5 times because they spent their infinite stamina on no-tracking shield pokes, hit them with scraps wakeups, and still couldn't kill them because they had infinite health.

They can't really detect certain things that aren't sent over the network; stuff like infinite health is one of them.

It's really well done regardless.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FishMcCool posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkzALNaBK-4

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

Silvercat Ring and high enough HP as soon as you can, then respec to whatever with that soul vessel in the mansion. The jump down from the cardinal tower bonfire is the hardest part of getting the old iron key.
You don't take any damage if you plunge attack the salamander

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

You'd need the Ashen Mist heart to enter the Memory of the Old Iron King to access Alonne, so you'd need to be most of the way through the base game. You could rush to that DLC down at the Iron Keep primal bonfire right after you get the heart and before any other DLCs, but you'll also need to clear most of it out, and beat the Fume Knight before you can interact with the armor.

Ah, of course. Guess there's no way around cheat engine and NG+.

:lmao:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You know, I had alot of difficulties dealing with SL838 havels spamming ultra R1s. Sure stone ring estoc pokes are good, but they just don't do enough damage through the havel armor, and they can just chug in my face and heal through my damage. And my backstabs just don't deal enough damage.

I tried changing it up with a roaring halberd and an off-hand SS/axe, but halberds are awkward to use and hard to apply pressure. I suppose I just have to get better at spacing out counter-hits.

In the end, my best success has been with crypt black sword and an off-hand rapier. Completely unlocked play, I would only ever lock on to cast a dark orb as pressure. CBS rotates around me, rapier running attacks to pressure whenever they try to back off, and I can try for match-ending plays like backstabs.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

FireWorksWell posted:

Yes, this being a mod that changes progression considerably, they moved a lot of items. They also made the DLC co-op areas part of the critical path.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Handsome Wife posted:

I don't know if you're still on this but if you run past the torturers and across the bridge, there's a ledge to the right you can jump to. They'll give up chasing you and most of them will fall through the gaps in the bridge.

Yep this worked! They seemed to survive the first trek across the bridge, but once I jumped to the ledge and they de-aggro’d, their AI seemed to switch to a much dumber path finding algorithm and they all fell off the bridge trying to make it back to their original spawn locations.

Also defeated the Chariot. It’s back kick is deceptively deadly because if you get trapped by some geometry, the back kick can’t push you out of the range of a follow up kick and you will likely get stun locked to death.

Going through shaded woods before I push through harvest valley. Not interested in dealing with poison at the moment.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm doing my run in a weird order that I usually do, so some things are hard as heck and some are easier. Running a pure pyro build through the Iron Keep right now is kinda miserable but it's a challenge. Armourer Dennis can suck my rear end.

Do Shaded Woods with the sound off, it'll heckin spoop ya.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Shaded woods complete! I don’t know how anyone was expected to figure out how to summon Manscorpion Tark on their own. The ring from Shalquor even says it helps you hear enemies and Tark is not an enemy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wouldn't be surprised if the translation on the Ring of Whispers is a bit dodgy, though it could also simply be classic From cryptic bullshit.

The ring is also just kind of bizarre and largely useless outside of speaking to Tark. Feels like a remnant of something that got cut up from the original plans.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 21, 2021

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the translation on the Ring of Whispers is a bit dodgy, though it could also simply be classic From cryptic bullshit.

The ring is also just kind of bizarre and largely useless outside of speaking to Tark. Feels like a remnant of something that got cut up from the original plans.

Well it helps if for some reason you want to know if there's an enemy within 10 blocks because it will spam that annoying roar sound at you throughout the whole game.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh is that what it does? I thought it was for hearing player voice chat. No clue why you'd ever want that though, nobody has played a souls game and thought "you know what's missing, is red phantoms calling me slurs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the only time I have ever heard voice chat used in the souls series was when I got summoned by a player named Casual Souls 2 for velstadt, he got killed by the boss and I heard “WHAT THE gently caress” and that was it