Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gearhead posted:

And this is why, ever since I got her, the Starbird has been my minion of choice.

'We are going on an ADVENTURE!' :allears:

god I need to farm for that but I truly hate the final boss of that dungeon because I am small brain and refuse to learn apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

sweet geek swag posted:

The jobline in question I'm pretty sure is Dancer which you can unlock before you have even entered STB and can definitely complete before you have completed the expansion, but the job actually released in SHB so for it makes sense that they would need to have two different lines for whether or not Ala Mhigo has been liberated yet. If you are post STB doing current content shouldn't throw you back in time, but mid STB "Hey good job liberating Ala Mhigo!" would be out of place.

Monk also remarks on it, and so does Dark Knight.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

RDM does as well. I picked it up post-SHB and X’rhun Tia was like “aren’t you the Liberator of Ala Mhigo?”.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That's less defensible.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
RDM questline isn't really related to main plot events, IIRC.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fauxton’s post is weirdly hostile to emo-era Meteion, but I generally agree. There’s been nothing but explicit support in the game for “suffering exists and life is about doing what you can to fight through it”.

Edit: what the gently caress where did all these pages come from

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

OddObserver posted:

RDM questline isn't really related to main plot events, IIRC.

Yeah it’s only a mention at the start, but it is a flag between “has finished 4.0” and “hasn’t finished 4.0”.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So the start of the studium faculty of medicine quest has randomized descriptions for the description of the awful food you try.
Here's the various options the game can choose.

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Perfectly_Awful#Dialogue

quote:

The initial flavor is
(1)akin to chewing on rotten garbage
(2)one of otherworldly astringency
(3)so complex as to be unidentifiable
(4)like a numbness in the tip of your tongue
(5)akin to mushy grain filling your mouth
(6)like a rush of indescribable hatred
(7)like savoring the absurdity of mankind
(8)an affront to the gods themselves

, which gradually transitions into

(1)an overwhelming sensation of nausea
(2)a feeling of intense regret
(3)a hauntingly unpleasant aftertaste
(4)an overall sense of crushing emptiness
(5)a disturbingly solid mass of congealed blandness
(6)a sense of deep and abiding despair
(7)an awareness of your own futility in the face of inexorable fate
(8)a bleakly entropic aftertaste

It is quite possibly the worst thing you have ever eaten.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Monk has the most alterations to dialogue and framing, if I remember right, considering who Widargelt is and the goals of the person he's opposing, but the deviations aren't significant.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pharohman777 posted:

So the start of the studium faculty of medicine quest has randomized descriptions for the description of the awful food you try.

I love how even this is on-theme with the rest of the expansion. :allears:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Pharohman777 posted:

Guessing it's just matched pairs, then, as I got the 3rd set.

I am rather enjoying paying attention to the storylines in the DoH/DoL branches, including the gleaner leves - and who the clients are.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hogama posted:

I am rather enjoying paying attention to the storylines in the DoH/DoL branches, including the gleaner leves - and who the clients are.

Let the final days happen if only so we can make fourche eat carrots for the rest of his days

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pharohman777 posted:

I am, again, pissed off that the ALC/CUL storyline spends most of it forgetting about the ALC part, but I won't deny that 'The WoL Vs. Soylent' is fantastic.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

Xarbala posted:

I didn't respond to most of your posts directly because I didn't really have issue with them on the matter of your subjective experience. If anything, I would argue that your opinions on Venat were shared by the character herself. Other characters view her more charitably because from their perspective they would not exist if not for her actions before the time loop. And after the time loop if not for her they would not be able to beat Meteion. The Scions are in a position where probably feel they can't be too harsh on the woman who sacrificed so much of herself to give them a fighting chance, even if she is arguably as much of a monster as Emet is. Same as how they can still sympathize with Emet and even accept him in the end, though they challenged him for the right to live and opposed his atrocities.

The narrative also takes the perspective of the WoL and the people they're fighting for, who are the modern Etheirysians. And they are absolutely on Hydaelyn's side who else would they side with? The people who would genocide them to recreate a lost world? You can be dissatisfied with that, sure, but it is what it is..

But yeah, I mean.

If nothing else your opinion is valid, even if I do not share, so I can't really say much else about it beyond that. I'm sorry if the vibe of discussion has gotten hostile around you.

I appreciate you saying so! I dunno, I'm not like, hyper hung up about it or anything; if you really love a piece of media, I get the urge to not want to deal with people who you feel are bringing negativity to the conversation based on something that seems stupid, and to impose consensus if things keep going in circles and you find it annoying, even if it means making GBS threads on people and their opinions a bit. I guess I just wish I could have what's felt like the cathartic or good parts of the last 60 pages - hearing people lay out their own responses to the story, and why they felt it did or didn't work for them personally - without that stuff. But that's probably not really possible in an open space online.

PoorWeather fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 19, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pharohman777 posted:

(6)a sense of deep and abiding despair
(7)an awareness of your own futility in the face of inexorable fate
lol a food so bad it would've sealed Meteion's victory.

Hogama posted:

And here's the real reason he approved the Scion's alternative to carrot hell.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So Hydaelyn herself apparently made certificates of authenticity for her crafting drop before she died.
https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Crystal_of_Divine_Light

Crystal of Divine Light

quote:

Includes a unique serial number and certificate of authenticity supposedly signed by Hydaelyn Herself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pharohman777 posted:

So Hydaelyn herself apparently made certificates of authenticity for her crafting drop before she died.
https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Crystal_of_Divine_Light

Crystal of Divine Light

I'm sure that is an added joke but on the other hand she WAS a crafter...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Countblanc posted:

it was weird reading that someone literally cheered when the garlean dude shot himself, when the game obviously wants you to think it's a somber and tragic moment that he couldn't be saved (in the moral sense)

Quintus lost my sympathy when he chose to send his people to attack the people here to help him. knowing they were wounded, starving, and in need of aid. His pride came before his people. My feelings can be summed up as thus.

You were probably a good leader, Quintus, but it's a shame you were such a poo poo man. I was happy he shot himself because at that moment I despised him for not caring about his own people and how they were suffering. He was a representation of an ideology that was dying, founded upon lies in its infancy, and purposefully designed to propagate violence for the sake of a shadow cabal of people with their own issues. If you want to refuse aid and die a dogs death on your own terms you go ahead and do that but don't you dare drag the people into your bullshit because of your ideals. It was a tragic conclusion to a tragic and depressing arc that stood out in stark constrast to the world we'd left in The First, when people had put aside their bullshit to come together in the face of the end.

That's all I could think to respond whenever we were asked "What do you get out of this?" Well, first and foremost, the world doesn't end, which is a pretty big upside for me. I'm quite a fan of this thing called 'living' and it's really rather difficult to continue that when the world ends.

Also it was likely hard to take his scene seriously because I'd installed a mod to change the max height of hyur midlanders, which is when I learned that cinematics tied items in hands to height. So uh... Quintus's gun was hovering below his hand. And when Fandaniel poured the wine in a later scene, he poured it on the table missing the glass... which actually felt totally in character with Fandaniel.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow, there's some great stuff in the fishing log for ultima thule.

One fish is actually a sapient being.

Class Twenty-four

quote:

A member of the seventh civilization with which Meteion came into contact, this many-legged entity's culture prizes the number of limbs one possesses above all else, seeing each as a mark of higher intellect. One can only imagine its despair at being fished up by a primitive organism with a mere four.

This one is a botched attempt at immortality.

Space Bishop

quote:

Once sentient and vaguely manlike, this creature accidentally transformed itself into a desiccated husk following a botched attempt at immortality. Now, it can do naught save drift sadly along the currents of the cosmos.

Another the eye of a extradimensional being.
E.B.E.-9318

quote:

Though it resembles naught so much as a free-floating eyeball, the Ea insist that this creature is in fact a mere appendage of an “extra-dimensional” entity with which they made contact during their “space-time exploration phase,” meant to keep an eye on the observable cosmos. Those familiar with said cosmos attest that in either case, it has likely “seen some things.”

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Onmi posted:

Also it was likely hard to take his scene seriously because I'd installed a mod to change the max height of hyur midlanders

curious what kind of depravity this mod is for

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Onmi posted:

Quintus lost my sympathy when he chose to send his people to attack the people here to help him. knowing they were wounded, starving, and in need of aid. His pride came before his people. My feelings can be summed up as thus.

You were probably a good leader, Quintus, but it's a shame you were such a poo poo man. I was happy he shot himself because at that moment I despised him for not caring about his own people and how they were suffering. He was a representation of an ideology that was dying, founded upon lies in its infancy, and purposefully designed to propagate violence for the sake of a shadow cabal of people with their own issues. If you want to refuse aid and die a dogs death on your own terms you go ahead and do that but don't you dare drag the people into your bullshit because of your ideals. It was a tragic conclusion to a tragic and depressing arc that stood out in stark constrast to the world we'd left in The First, when people had put aside their bullshit to come together in the face of the end.

That's all I could think to respond whenever we were asked "What do you get out of this?" Well, first and foremost, the world doesn't end, which is a pretty big upside for me. I'm quite a fan of this thing called 'living' and it's really rather difficult to continue that when the world ends.

Also it was likely hard to take his scene seriously because I'd installed a mod to change the max height of hyur midlanders, which is when I learned that cinematics tied items in hands to height. So uh... Quintus's gun was hovering below his hand. And when Fandaniel poured the wine in a later scene, he poured it on the table missing the glass... which actually felt totally in character with Fandaniel.

So he shoots himself through the throat and dies badly, kind of on point for that part of the game imo

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gnossiennes posted:

curious what kind of depravity this mod is for

I play a midlander, RL I'm 6''4, I am lacking self-confidence but don't want to play a Highlander.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pharohman777 posted:

Another the eye of a extradimensional being.
E.B.E.-9318

quote:

Though it resembles naught so much as a free-floating eyeball, the Ea insist that this creature is in fact a mere appendage of an “extra-dimensional” entity with which they made contact during their “space-time exploration phase,” meant to keep an eye on the observable cosmos. Those familiar with said cosmos attest that in either case, it has likely “seen some things.”

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Pharohman777 posted:

This one is a botched attempt at immortality.

Space Bishop

quote:

Once sentient and vaguely manlike, this creature accidentally transformed itself into a desiccated husk following a botched attempt at immortality. Now, it can do naught save drift sadly along the currents of the cosmos.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if I had to summarize the message of endwalker in two words, it'd be "suicide bad"

in the moral and emotional framework of endwalker, quintus dying is a tragedy. Like, it's not saying to just forgive and welcome with open arms, but a corpse can't make amends, and even quintus might have, in another world, accepted his defeat and begun the slow process of moving forward along with his fellows. When faced with the question "why live when faced with the hardships inherent in life?" he answers "why indeed" and ends himself.

the healer role quest is basically about the exact same thing: you don't have to forgive the ala mhigan collaborators, but the right thing to do is to try to move forward and break the cycle of vengeance (which has been a theme of this game since at least heavensward)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hermes is the one priest having a mental breakdown when all his friends are congratulating the dying old Bishop on being almost ready to go to heaven and how lucky he is.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cheetah7071 posted:

if I had to summarize the message of endwalker in two words, it'd be "suicide bad"

in the moral and emotional framework of endwalker, quintus dying is a tragedy. Like, it's not saying to just forgive and welcome with open arms, but a corpse can't make amends, and even quintus might have, in another world, accepted his defeat and begun the slow process of moving forward along with his fellows. When faced with the question "why live when faced with the hardships inherent in life?" he answers "why indeed" and ends himself.

the healer role quest is basically about the exact same thing: you don't have to forgive the ala mhigan collaborators, but the right thing to do is to try to move forward and break the cycle of vengeance (which has been a theme of this game since at least heavensward)

"What's the meaning of life" *sad Meteion*
vs
"what's the meaning of life?" *thoughtful Blaise Pascal*

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Onmi posted:

And when Fandaniel poured the wine in a later scene, he poured it on the table missing the glass... which actually felt totally in character with Fandaniel.

Please provide a screencap for this, too

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

cheetah7071 posted:

The healer role quest is currently standing as my favorite story content in all of Endwalker. And I take it as a bit of a more realistic form of the situation that Amaurot makes for itself; it's about the pains that arise when your approach to a tragedy is to ignore it, rather than to address it.

Everyone is suffering from the fact nobody really got any closure or resolution about the Crania Lupi, and just tried to move on from it. Their victims now look down on their families, their families now riddled with guilt themselves, and Fordola--the only actual survivor of the squad--grappling with so many unresolved issues that she's getting close to becoming a danger to everyone. It's a problem that Ala Mhigo has to sit down and acknowledge, because it's not going to actually go away.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think they really did the expansion a disservice by spreading the zones out like they did. MSQ is very good but as far as the world goes I'd rather have had more focus on one or two regions instead of spreading things around. I'd say at the bare minimum cut Labyrinthian and have a third Ilsabard region since everything about Lab except the final bit was filler that would've been better spent dealing with people turning into monsters.

Very good *light reflections* of *many bubbles*

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

The healer role quest is currently standing as my favorite story content in all of Endwalker. And I take it as a bit of a more realistic form of the situation that Amaurot makes for itself; it's about the pains that arise when your approach to a tragedy is to ignore it, rather than to address it.

Everyone is suffering from the fact nobody really got any closure or resolution about the Crania Lupi, and just tried to move on from it. Their victims now look down on their families, their families now riddled with guilt themselves, and Fordola--the only actual survivor of the squad--grappling with so many unresolved issues that she's getting close to becoming a danger to everyone. It's a problem that Ala Mhigo has to sit down and acknowledge, because it's not going to actually go away.

yea I really enjoyed the healer quest, no magic 'oh okay we forgive you for the whole violent betrayal of your people' or 'actually it's fine you treated us like poo poo', just kinda a quiet understanding of 'we can't keep just ignoring this if we're going to be a functional country'

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

the only thing I was thinking of during quintus's suicide scene was both "yeah this was always how it was gonna end up for him" and "drat thats a nice gun"

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Chillgamesh posted:

the only thing I was thinking of during quintus's suicide scene was both "yeah this was always how it was gonna end up for him" and "drat thats a nice gun"

I want that gun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

sexpig by night posted:

yea I really enjoyed the healer quest, no magic 'oh okay we forgive you for the whole violent betrayal of your people' or 'actually it's fine you treated us like poo poo', just kinda a quiet understanding of 'we can't keep just ignoring this if we're going to be a functional country'

I also like that it gives voice to both sides' issues while never claiming either to be more valid than the other. It's 'your sons and daughters joined our oppressors and victimized us' versus 'our sons and daughters made a terrible decision under duress to keep us safe', and neither side is painted as wrong for feeling that way. Hell, serious props for managing to walk that tightrope while having Fordola be right there basically as active kindling for both sides' fires.

Do the healer quests, everyone. I'm beginning to think that FFXIV genuinely tries to motivate people to play healer by giving them the best role quests.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cleretic posted:

Something I was discussing with guildies the other day, black smoke noting you're close to turning but it's still something you can come back from is SUCH a good idea. It's used to great effect in various scenes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Cleretic posted:

I also like that it gives voice to both sides' issues while never claiming either to be more valid than the other. It's 'your sons and daughters joined our oppressors and victimized us' versus 'our sons and daughters made a terrible decision under duress to keep us safe', and neither side is painted as wrong for feeling that way. Hell, serious props for managing to walk that tightrope while having Fordola be right there basically as active kindling for both sides' fires.

Do the healer quests, everyone. I'm beginning to think that FFXIV genuinely tries to motivate people to play healer by giving them the best role quests.

I mean if you didn't level a healer for Giott, are you really going to do so now? :colbert:

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I do think there is some degree of "I'm upset at the idea that utopia isn't truly possible" in the discussion that is hard to get past which is why it keeps coming back to some degree to the flaws of current society.

Oh, yeah this is might be it.

I actually do thing utopia/paradise is truly possible. Like as a point of faith.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ither posted:

Oh, yeah this is might be it.

I actually do thing utopia/paradise is truly possible. Like as a point of faith.

I mean, depends how you think it. I don't think the game thinks religious afterlife paradise is impossible or stupid, more humanity trying to make paradise on earth.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

lol