Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MJeff posted:

What was the name of Ywach's super elite squad? Cause all those guys pretty much sucked and besides a couple neat things here and there like Kyoraku's bankai, they were all massive letdowns.

It really stunk how the start of the arc actually did a pretty good job building up some key members of the Vandenreich as future opponents and then all of those guys just kinda got beat while there was still a ton of story left and the replacements for the final set of fights were all awful.

Pretty much the only thing left to look forward to at that point was Aizen. Because Aizen is great all of the time.

Sniper Bird God
Big God Hand
Norse God Thor
Quincy Aizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You know, I hope all the people responsible for the Bleach ost got raises. Number 1 is still one of the best character theme songs.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

chumbler posted:

You know, I hope all the people responsible for the Bleach ost got raises. Number 1 is still one of the best character theme songs.

shiro sagisu the goat

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't guarantee you between EVA and Bleach that Shiro Sagisu is eating well.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The Arrancar Spanish flamenco OST was ridiculously good too.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

I hated this arc in print but I am very excited to see it now. What is wrong with me?

It's cause we're old men in the Shounen world now man, even our dregs get a solid rise out of us these days :corsair:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Sniper Bird God
Big God Hand
Norse God Thor
Quincy Aizen

How could you forget Lucha Quincy that gets more powerful the more he hears it from his weird immortal sidekick, :mad: and the one Quincy that is one thing but turns out is a small kid that literally thinks of anything and makes it reality cause that's a bitchin Kenpachi fight.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They weren't YWACH's Elite Four.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ah the alphabet squad.

That trailer looks real good. looking forward to restarting my love/hate relationship with this franchise.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Quincy Aizen was the worst fights in the entire series. Bird God was the second worst. Big Thor sucked but characters got to do cool things at him.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm not a huge fan of the final arc, and I'd love to see some story changes to tune it up the anime adaptation, but drat that trailer's remix of Number One was absolute fire and it really did a good job of making me get hyped and remember my old school Bleach fandom.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

That one guy going "*sigh,* this sword is a loving failure. it cuts things" and killing 4 ywach super soldiers in a minute is still the best scene in Bleach (the episode needs to end before the next chapter)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You know what this season really needs?

SHAZ DOMINO.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tonfa posted:

That one guy going "*sigh,* this sword is a loving failure. it cuts things" and killing 4 ywach super soldiers in a minute is still the best scene in Bleach (the episode needs to end before the next chapter)

Zero Division as a whole ruled, I liked the twist that they were not just really strong, but also all eclectic geniuses who'd invented some technology or aspect of Soul Society previously established. I really do hope all those fights get expanded on in the anime because every royal guard member besides Ichibe getting killed offscreen after being hyped up so much sucked.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The thing is you can't really expand those fights without having to do some rewrites later down the line.

With the exception of Askin, all the Elite Quincy vs the Heroes fights rely on the surprise factor of the hero suddenly realising "Oh poo poo, this guy is actually the hand/heart of the soul king/a god flamingo" to carry the fight.

If the Elite Quincy showcase those powers in the early fight vs the Royal Squad, then it loses it's impact (even if said impact fell flat) during their fights vs the heroes.
If they don't use those powers and beat the Royal Guard any other way, they'd still look like chumps.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

I can't guarantee you between EVA and Bleach that Shiro Sagisu is eating well.

Sending them my prayers.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I love that that dumb song makes that trailer so hype. I figured I was done with Bleach but I will have to at least check that out next year.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ah I just remembered how Captain Ukitake sacrificed his life to make an attack that got ruined immediately. Can't wait to see that in anime form

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So many dumb pointless things are gonna get animated, Yamamoto's death, Ukitake's attempt, Soul King just kinda....... being there not doing anything, Ichigo's final form not even being a final form cause he reverts back to his original costume and sword. I think I'm de-hyping myself lol.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I mean the soul king isn't doing anything because he's just been split into parts as some kind of seal to keep the worlds separate. I don't really know what you'd expect him to do.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I did like that the Soul King wasn't like, a character, but more of a person turned into some horror artifacts with no personality

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Ichibe's final spell before dying is going to look lit.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I hope they kill Byakuya for real this time

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

holy poo poo new number one remix slaps

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Trailer is dope, but any chance they will fix some of the glaring issues with the arc for the adaption? It should be possible since the manga is finished now and they don't need to worry about unexpected side effects of their changes.

Also it should be possible to up the pace of the anime siginificantly right? Should be no reason at all to stick to 1 chapter per episode?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm skeptical of any major rewrites happening. The closest I could see us getting to that is a YYH situation where Togashi used the anime as a vehicle to expand the demon world tournament and cut out all the weird King Yama/spirit world stuff at the end of the manga to give the group as a whole a more satisfying send off.

That said there are a bunch of plot beats that are going to be goofy as gently caress if they're just animated 1:1. Ichigo getting repeatedly punted down the tower over and over (and just kind of sucking in general for the whole arc even after his much hyped up "true" power/zanpakuto are revealed), Ukitake killing himself to hold the Spirit King together only for Yhwach to immediately make his sacrifice meaningless, Aizen being released to much fanfare only to end up sitting in a chair by himself for 60 chapters offscreen until he gets one dumb illusion in on Yhwach, everything, just everything having to do with the Thor fight, Chad's last appearance in the manga outside the epilogue being him stumbling into a room of living statues to fight, the list goes on.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Lib and let die posted:

holy poo poo new number one remix slaps

This is legitimately making me consider a rewatch of the anime that I never finished, and I've had people telling me "DON'T, STOP, YOU'RE BETTER OFF" for most of a decade

The song is THAT GOOD

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The early seasons of the anime can be rough in places (the OP's/ED's slap though) and you should find a viewing guide that points out the filler because almost all of the filler arcs are terrible (dear god do not watch the Bount Arc) but around the time Aizen shows up in Karakura the animation jumps up hugely in quality, with some stuff like the TBtP episodes feeling like they had a movie-level animation budget. Some of the later filler is even good, the one about all the sword spirits mysteriously manifesting and fighting their owners (Zanpakuto Tales, I think?) is actually a pretty fun story and has some really slick animation.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Give me an actual fight between Unohana and Kenpachi, and a sick animation sequence for Human Berserker Komamura and I'll be satisfied.

I still don't even know what Unohanas bankai does

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Synthwave Crusader posted:

Creates a pocket dimension where it immediately brings you back to life so she can kill you again, from what I remember.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a good concept. she never used it because, while powerful, it's not actually useful for anything other than MURDERSEX. unfortunately this also meant that a woman who never did anything despite being hyped as a stealth badass died to powerup a dude who probably got more good fights than ichigo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I always figured it just melted people since her shikai is a weird flying ray thing that has healing stomach acid. So her bankai is just that acid but more intense so it now harms instead of heals.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Synthwave Crusader posted:

Give me an actual fight between Unohana and Kenpachi, and a sick animation sequence for Human Berserker Komamura and I'll be satisfied.

It’s just a bunch of flesh melting acid

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm always kind of put off that Bleach never got a Kai treatment. I'm also extremely not mad that I don't think we'll ever get a Hollow May Cry character action game, but I've been ringing that bell to no avail for years now. Ah, well.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched the trailer and the music slaps hard.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I wanna see some action.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a good concept. she never used it because, while powerful, it's not actually useful for anything other than MURDERSEX. unfortunately this also meant that a woman who never did anything despite being hyped as a stealth badass died to powerup a dude who probably got more good fights than ichigo.

A lot of bankais are kinda poo poo outside of certain circumstances. For every Byakuya or Ichigo bankai that is basically a straight upgrade you've got ones that kill you as well (Shunsui, Rukia if she fucks up), kill people by friendly fire (Yamamoto, Mayuri), or are completely useless in a one on one fight (Shinji).

Unohana was just like how we were introduced to Kenpachi, so strong without even releasing that it doesn't matter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yamamoto's bankai only had a downside if someone other than yamamoto used it. that dude was the absolute worst in a manga which includes mayuri.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
My take, as others, was that Unohana's bankai was just either really strong acid or a lot of acid. Simple concept but pretty strong unless some "Aizen reiatsu" bullshit is going on.

In fact, the story itself indirectly tells us that it's a strong bankai because she had to learn how to heal in order to prolong her MURDERSEX fights.

That's what I assumed was happening in her fight vs Kenpachi, she was melting him via acid, but rapidly healing him back up over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

chumbler posted:

A lot of bankais are kinda poo poo outside of certain circumstances. For every Byakuya or Ichigo bankai that is basically a straight upgrade you've got ones that kill you as well (Shunsui, Rukia if she fucks up), kill people by friendly fire (Yamamoto, Mayuri), or are completely useless in a one on one fight (Shinji).

Unohana was just like how we were introduced to Kenpachi, so strong without even releasing that it doesn't matter.

Did we ever see Shinji's bankai?