Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

loving amazing. This won’t cause a poo poo ton of confusion at all, and absolutely isn’t down to companies underperforming and slipping people some cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So basically we gotta wait for some sucker to buy an "HDMI 2.1" device and verify poo poo is actually working? Sweet.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It's now on consumers to pray that product listings are accurate check manufacturer's and store websites line by line, to make sure a SKU includes the specific HDMI-related features they might want.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 14, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lmao, HDMI looks at USB and thinks "yes, this was a good and sane idea".

EL BROMANCE posted:

loving amazing. This won’t cause a poo poo ton of confusion at all, and absolutely isn’t down to companies underperforming and slipping people some cash.

HDMI is an industry group, the people with the incentive not to have products look outdated on the shelf are the people who make the standard to begin with.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think they bit off more than they could chew with 48gbps, that is a genuinely huge amount of data, especially with the whole encrypted signal path thing for HDCP. You're right though the HDMI forum is the exact companies causing all these problems in the first place and they only have themselves to blame although you'll notice no TV companies are making high bandwidth receivers any more, I think that's the short end of the stick as far as amount of work. Then COVID took a dump on the whole electronics industry and stretched this out another couple years.

Meanwhile I think 90% of people would be perfectly happy with HDR 1080p up to 120hz with all the features like VRR, QMS, ALLM, etc. But the TV manufacturers were all in on 4k and 8k because number is bigger and that's what sells new TVs, never mind most streaming "4k" streams are like half the bandwidth of a blu ray.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

qirex posted:

Meanwhile I think 90% of people would be perfectly happy with HDR 1080p up to 120hz with all the features like VRR, QMS, ALLM, etc. But the TV manufacturers were all in on 4k and 8k because number is bigger and that's what sells new TVs, never mind most streaming "4k" streams are like half the bandwidth of a blu ray.

The fact that PC gaming has settled on 1440p (and their screens are right up in their faces) backs this up.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://twitter.com/PhuturisticPhil/status/1470151598005440517

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
People still use DLPs? Wow.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

qirex posted:

Meanwhile I think 90% of people would be perfectly happy with HDR 1080p up to 120hz with all the features like VRR, QMS, ALLM, etc.

This is true but gently caress all those blind people. 1080p looks like trash. Technology must not be dictated by the layman else it will stagnate as smartphones have because dummies think iphones are as good as it gets

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

I can see a certain logic in taking the approach that the HDMI number on it's own is not important and that consumers should look for the actual features being advertised instead, especially with the individual features being optional. It is strange to me tho that even FRL is not part of a must have spec for HDMI 2.1, as it basically means that there's now HDMI 2.1, basically the old HDMI 2.0, and "high speed" HDMI 2.1 or "full bandwidth" HDMI 2.1 or whatever you want to call it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

codo27 posted:

This is true but gently caress all those blind people. 1080p looks like trash. Technology must not be dictated by the layman else it will stagnate as smartphones have because dummies think iphones are as good as it gets

Yeah but this is where DLSS upscaling and the like shine. Rendering 4k with all the bells and whistles on at higher than 100fps consistently is still out of reach for many high end setups let alone babby consoles like the ps5 and xsx and the average 1060/2060/3060 powered gaming rig.

Yes high fps is nicer in many situations notably shooters but to do so at 4k is just unreachable for 99% of gamers without running medium settings instead of high/ultra.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Precisely why I haven't jumped to 4K yet on my desktop.

While I've had to admit some things look decent enough on gfs XSX, if any of you have one you really ought to try out that Matrix Awakening demo. Its the biggest leap graphically I've seen in a long time. I wish it was available on PC

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

I can see a certain logic in taking the approach that the HDMI number on it's own is not important and that consumers should look for the actual features being advertised instead, especially with the individual features being optional. It is strange to me tho that even FRL is not part of a must have spec for HDMI 2.1, as it basically means that there's now HDMI 2.1, basically the old HDMI 2.0, and "high speed" HDMI 2.1 or "full bandwidth" HDMI 2.1 or whatever you want to call it.

They've changed it so now there's HDMI 2.1 (which is the same as HDMI 2.0), and now there's "HDMI 2.1 with 48gbps", or "HDMI 2.1 with VRR and ALLM", or "HDMI 2.1 with *insert a la carte feature combo here*". :shepface:

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

They've changed it so now there's HDMI 2.1 (which is the same as HDMI 2.0), and now there's "HDMI 2.1 with 48gbps", or "HDMI 2.1 with VRR and ALLM", or "HDMI 2.1 with *insert a la carte feature combo here*". :shepface:

Eh, base HDMI 2.1 is 32 or 40 gbps which still transmits more data than the 18 gbps 2.0 maxes out at so you get that increased chroma subsampling which I guess does something?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's needlessly confusing for anyone that doesn't have their head stuck in tech news.

This is some late 90s "Microsoft Windows 98 SE + Multimedia" bs

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Animale posted:

Eh, base HDMI 2.1 is 32 or 40 gbps which still transmits more data than the 18 gbps 2.0 maxes out at so you get that increased chroma subsampling which I guess does something?

Nope, that's optional too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Animale posted:

No, they are literally saying now that HDMI 2.0 doesn't exist anymore and all of those products are now considered to be HDMI 2.1. The Fixed Rate Link communications modes that we all previously considered the defining feature of HDMI 2.1 is now an option.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Contemplating the 65" X90J from Sony again now that it is back at the BF price at Costco (1200).

I want an OLED but not willing to splurge right now given kids and general idiocy in our living room.

Uses: Streaming Netflix/HBO/Dis+, YTTV for sports. No gaming on this set.

I have an annoying prediliction for color accurate displays so I favor that over most features. Blooming also annoys the poo poo out of me which Sony apparently is pretty good at handling? Source is a 4K Apple TV.

Any better options out there? Still struggling along on my 2011 LG that while it has its flaws, has good color.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Cozmosis posted:

Contemplating the 65" X90J from Sony again now that it is back at the BF price at Costco (1200).

I want an OLED but not willing to splurge right now given kids and general idiocy in our living room.

Uses: Streaming Netflix/HBO/Dis+, YTTV for sports. No gaming on this set.

I have an annoying prediliction for color accurate displays so I favor that over most features. Blooming also annoys the poo poo out of me which Sony apparently is pretty good at handling? Source is a 4K Apple TV.

Any better options out there? Still struggling along on my 2011 LG that while it has its flaws, has good color.

Owner of this set. The FALD zones are fairly large so be warned there’s some inherent blooming to this set. I honestly don’t notice it much except when movie titles/end credits are on, then it’s pretty noticeable. Other than that, I find the picture quality and accuracy to be fantastic, and Sony is great about letting you get really fine-grained with adjustments for image and motion processing. For a regular LCD I think it’s definitely near the top of the range.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55S531 $448 shipped from Walmart

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
What's a 40" TV that is good

I'm replacing a 32" Samsung from 2008 so everything will be an update

Smaller living room, prefer good color more than like... Features I guess.

Honestly if they still exist can I find a Non Smart TV that size? I don't need any fuckin features I have a appletv and a Nas and plex so

Wonder if I posted about this before

Oh! I did! Let me go back and read replies from Feb anyway would also appreciate recs now. I have a 200mm mount.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 18, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Gunshow Poophole posted:

What's a 40" TV that is good

I'm replacing a 32" Samsung from 2008 so everything will be an update

Smaller living room, prefer good color more than like... Features I guess.

Honestly if they still exist can I find a Non Smart TV that size? I don't need any fuckin features I have a appletv and a Nas and plex so

Wonder if I posted about this before

Oh! I did! Let me go back and read replies from Feb anyway would also appreciate recs now. I have a 200mm mount.

What's driving the size? You are unlikely to find a TV that small worth a crap

Secondarily, give up the dumb TV idea. They don't don't exist in any meaningful manner.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My Google TV TCL 6 series I just got has a “basic tv” mode which is pretty nice. Doesn’t install any apps and lets me use my AppleTV as the primary consumption device.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

BonoMan posted:

What's driving the size? You are unlikely to find a TV that small worth a crap

Secondarily, give up the dumb TV idea. They don't don't exist in any meaningful manner.

well the clearance from mantle to artwork is about 31 inches vertically, the mantle is only 45 inches wide, and it's on an interior wall that is part of a central staircase because our ground floor is a Fat Square around said staircase and the other walls are The Kitchen, windows and The Door

looking at a site recommending the Sony 85XJ series, specifically KD43X85J

looks like with 563mm height we'll skate with a tasteful 4 inches of clearance on top and bottom

the thing mentioned with reviews is bad viewing angles but good news our house is also not a midwestern corn and drywall palace so we've only got about a 12 foot wide sitting-space

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 18, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FCKGW posted:

My Google TV TCL 6 series I just got has a “basic tv” mode which is pretty nice. Doesn’t install any apps and lets me use my AppleTV as the primary consumption device.

I mean with any tv you can just use whatever device you want as a primary consumption device. There's nothing preventing you from doing that with any tv. You still have a smart tv.

I'm assuming the drive for "I don't need a smart TV" is "therefore I'll save money getting a dumb TV" ... But that hasn't been true for a while. And is basically hard to even find.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Gunshow Poophole posted:

well the clearance from mantle to artwork is about 31 inches vertically, the mantle is only 45 inches wide, and it's on an interior wall that is part of a central staircase because our ground floor is a Fat Square around said staircase and the other walls are The Kitchen, windows and The Door

looking at a site recommending the Sony 85XJ series, specifically KD43X85J

looks like with 563mm height we'll skate with a tasteful 4 inches of clearance on top and bottom

the thing mentioned with reviews is bad viewing angles but good news our house is also not a midwestern corn and drywall palace so we've only got about a 12 foot wide sitting-space

Yeah just go with whatever Rtings.com mentions and you should be good to go!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Any tv can be a dumb tv if you just don't connect it to the internet. Hopefully there aren't any out there that REQUIRE a connection yet.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Thanks everybody :)

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Any tv can be a dumb tv if you just don't connect it to the internet. Hopefully there aren't any out there that REQUIRE a connection yet.

Shhhh don't give them ideas!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Just don’t forget to check for firmware updates periodically.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Let me tell you about going through the Google TV OS on a Hisense...

During setup, mind you. after that you can disconnect it or whatever.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I bought the LG C1 65 inch. And a echogear mount for it. The tv uses M6 screws for the mount. Not sure on the length though. The mount came with 35mm and 12mm C6 screws. The 12mm seem way too short. The 35mm seem very long, though they do fit into the back panel with a tiny bit of room to spare. Its just that this tv is so thin! Will they somehow damage the panel? The tv surely has a stopper so the screw doesn't go in too long right? :ohdear:

Or should I just go buy some 20 or 25mm C6 screws to be safe.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

Can you make the dimming change depending on what you're looking at? If so, that is the ABL kicking in. If the dimming doesn't change depending on what you're viewing then the culprit is one of the numerous "power saving" features that needs to be turned off. The picture from my Nintendo Switch was oddly dull until I dug around and turned all that stuff off. I think there was also an anti-burn-in feature that was dimming it too.

Yes. In Spotify it doesn't really dim, but when I open explorer it dims. So it dims mainly when there's lots of pure white around.

I switched to dark mode and dimming stopped. It doesn't really bother me, just an observation. I also have a 2 minute black screensaver in Windows and Kodi.

There are more anti-burn-in dimming featurs in service menu but those are best to leave untouched.

I use my LG C1 as dumb tv. No internet connection, haven't even looked at the smart features. Setup required no internet. I assume the firmware updates are only recommend if you encounter problems. Haven't had any so I assume there's no need to update.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 19, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I mean with any tv you can just use whatever device you want as a primary consumption device. There's nothing preventing you from doing that with any tv. You still have a smart tv.

I'm assuming the drive for "I don't need a smart TV" is "therefore I'll save money getting a dumb TV" ... But that hasn't been true for a while. And is basically hard to even find.

True, but I have a Sony that’s not on the WiFi and I still get a pop up once a week asking me to finish setting up my Google account. The TCL just doesn’t have that ability, all it has is input selection on the Home Screen.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FCKGW posted:

True, but I have a Sony that’s not on the WiFi and I still get a pop up once a week asking me to finish setting up my Google account. The TCL just doesn’t have that ability, all it has is input selection on the Home Screen.

Doesn't have what ability?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Doesn't have what ability?

I'm sure TCL could make it bug you to set up a roku account, but they don't.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I bought the LG C1 65 inch. And a echogear mount for it. The tv uses M6 screws for the mount. Not sure on the length though. The mount came with 35mm and 12mm C6 screws. The 12mm seem way too short. The 35mm seem very long, though they do fit into the back panel with a tiny bit of room to spare. Its just that this tv is so thin! Will they somehow damage the panel? The tv surely has a stopper so the screw doesn't go in too long right? :ohdear:

Or should I just go buy some 20 or 25mm C6 screws to be safe.

I just did this and used m6 16mm with some washers. plenty of purchase there, you should be fine imo

if you're using the 35mm, does it not come with plastic standoffs or anything? another mount I got in the past handled it that way

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

"Other" using 14gb of bandwidth in the past 24 hours. I mean gf watches a lot of youtube but sheesh

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Uh, that's like virtually nothing.

I barely watched anything yesterday and burned though 70gb in the past 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I just got my CX83 inches and it is glorious. I've upgraded from a 12 year old Pionner. The plasma was not a smart TV so I basically did a one time tweak of the settings and let them be regardless of whether I was playing a game or watching a movie.

The CX has a lot more options and I find myself a bit overwhelmed. For my HTPC input I set the input to use picture mode Expert (Dark Space) and used this guide to tweak settings. What do you all do for gaming? Do you let the game mode take over or do you force it to use the same settings you use for movies? If you do let the game made take over, did you make any tweaks to game mode or just left it as is? Game mode definitely looks more like "standard" in that it uses a cold temperature preset rather than the warm most people use for movies. I also notice the guide talks about being able to tweak Dolby Vision settings, but I couldn't find anything in the options menu about this-- specifically it talks about whether you should use "Cinema" or "Cinema Home" picture modes-- where can I find these options?