Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I saw it today in Tokyo.

I went to check for reviews and had no idea it was not out yet in most places.

If you guys have any questions let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Did it look like a YouTube original series in the theater, or is that just the trailers?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

Did it look like a YouTube original series in the theater, or is that just the trailers?

The production quality is not consistent I would say.

I may be reading too much into it but it felt like it got better as the story went on and there does appear to be a distinction between different parts of the movie after certain events in terms of how they are shot.

The early half seemed to favour CGI massively and then the later half seemed mostly practical where possible. Again, might be my imagination.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm glad that everyone is finally agreeing with me that the sequels are actually fine and good but I still don't appreciate being gaslit by the internet for 20 years like it did with the Star Wars prequels.

Mister Chief posted:

I may be reading too much into it but it felt like it got better as the story went on and there does appear to be a distinction between different parts of the movie after certain events in terms of how they are shot.

The early half seemed to favour CGI massively and then the later half seemed mostly practical where possible. Again, might be my imagination.

Almost as if production was shut down and restarted in a different capacity due to some kind of global event.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The opening scenes of Ressurections and the part with the train are the best directed action pieces, on par with OG and Reloaded
Finale seems to be the victim of shooting in lockdown, cant catch up to the ambition and relies on CG, the other ones have way too many cuts

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Mister Chief posted:

That is really disappointing to hear :saddowns:

It’s weird how they made a point of really jumping off a tall building!! but then used an iPhone to film other parts?

This is starting to feel too meta since I felt the same way watching promotional material for Reloaded…like people would be arguing online that the burly brawl only looked horrible since the ‘cg team was still working on it until the very end!’

Anyway. At least this time I’m expecting something very different going in. I appreciate all the early reviews.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jimbot posted:

Yes but what about that WOKE AGENDA?!?! Will it or will it not turn my children into cultural marxists?!
https://twitter.com/BartlebysCorpse/status/1472035774283530241

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Sorry, The Last Jedi owns you dork.

It is almost a good movie.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

LionArcher posted:

Which makes it an excellent star wars movie.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Hexyflexy posted:

Which makes it an excellent star wars movie.

It almost is a good movie and he was a draft or two away from making it a good Star Wars movie.

Everyone who talked about how it brought some thing new philosophically to Star Wars wasn’t paying attention to spaces like here, or any of the EU books, which did a better job (I know) covering new Philosophy more coherently.

Jonson insisted that Star Wars fans needed to learn an important lesson, but had not figured out what that lesson was exactly.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

LionArcher posted:

It almost is a good movie and he was a draft or two away from making it a good Star Wars movie.

Everyone who talked about how it brought some thing new philosophically to Star Wars wasn’t paying attention to spaces like here, or any of the EU books, which did a better job (I know) covering new Philosophy more coherently.

Jonson insisted that Star Wars fans needed to learn an important lesson, but had not figured out what that lesson was exactly.
Like a lot of things to do with Star Wars, the muddled messages of the second film could have been clarified in the third film... but they weren't.

What does it mean when Luke reveals he saw the prequels and tells the overeager protagonist that, no, the Jedi sucked actually? Is it up to her to build a better Jedi Order? Is that even possible?

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

LionArcher posted:

It has the ideas of a better movie sloshing around in there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

The Last Jedi owns at how terrible it is.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Can we not

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
The worst Last Jedi opinion one can have is that you stating whether you thought the movie was good or bad in any context actually means anything.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The worst The Last Jedi opinion is one that you argue about in The Matrix thread

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Last Jedi more like the last Star Wars

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Feels like I've forgotten all about the last jedi, I don't even remember who the last jedi was.

Thank god I can still remember Neo.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Kinda cool how three absolutely massive trilogies came out at around the same time: Star Wars, Matrix, and LoTR. The definitive ranking:

Marry: LoTR

gently caress: Matrix

Kill: Star Wars

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Heres a Last Jedi opinion. It should have involved Keanu Reevers and Carrie Anne Moss.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's not really possible for big studio movies to be good anymore. The commanding heights are so distant from the streets, the people making them were born into it. The ones up in the Hills cannot begin to imagine what's coming.

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

porfiria fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 20, 2021

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

porfiria posted:

It's not really possible for big studio movies to be good anymore. The commanding heights are so distant from the streets, the people making them were born into it. The ones up in the Hills cannot begin to imagine what's coming.

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

This sounds like a Culture ship explaining the film, now I'm even more confused.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

LOTR and Star Wars have a lot in common with the Matrix: there was an original trilogy...with a pretty conclusive ending... and then they made more movies and they sucked.

We don't know that'll happen yet but it is understandable to be concerned.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Hexyflexy posted:

This sounds like a Culture ship explaining the film, now I'm even more confused.

I was gonna say it sounds like someone on mushrooms but your's is better

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just a couple more days left. The wait is painful.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I was listening to some of the commentary tracks included on the Reloaded 4k and its funny how different they can be with regards to specific scenes. Cornell West, on the philosophers commentary track, is just loving the Zion Rave scene and how multicultural/gender it is and how it is just a great embrace of the human body. On the critics track though, one of them said it was like a beer commercial with white people trying to show they are multi-cultural. Another called the music Tarzan music. They then went onto say the Neo/Trinity sex scene should have been delicate and intimate.

It was the same for the scene with Link and his family. West and the other guy loved the depiction of a domestic moment with a non-white family. They thought it showed another human side of love (which would show up later in a similar fashion with the programs). But the critics said this scene was all the un-cool boring stuff that they didnt want in movies (as opposed to all of the cool stuff the first matrix included).

Both tracks were fairly aligned for the first film, but this was a nice example of how polarizing this sequel and much of their future work would be.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Trilogies usually have their best movie as the second movie.

Star Wars 5
Lord of the Rings 2
Matrix 2
Star Wars 8
Star Trek 2

and so on

checkplease posted:

Both tracks were fairly aligned for the first film, but this was a nice example of how polarizing this sequel and much of their future work would be.

I usually completely dismiss the opinions of critic reviews because they're watching movies as a job, and anything that's samey they tend to hate, unlike me, a cultured person who usually only watches a few movies a year. Generally if something like Rotten Tomatoes hates a movie, I'll probably like it, and if RT likes it, I probably dislike it. Usually

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 20, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Star Wars 5
Lord of the Rings 2
Matrix 2
Star Wars 8
Star Trek 2

and so on

I usually completely dismiss the opinions of critic reviews because they're watching movies as a job, and anything that's samey they tend to hate, unlike me, a cultured person who usually only watches a few movies a year. Generally if something like Rotten Tomatoes hates a movie, I'll probably like it, and if RT likes it, I probably dislike it. Usually

I've always thought Fellowship was by far the strongest LOTR movie.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

The second film gets to expand the universe while it is still fresh. Fans are still excited. Institutional inertia isn't weighing down the franchise yet. It may not always be the best film but it's usually a good entry.

It makes sense that a plurality of fans often prefer 2. Their ideas of where the franchise should go will often differ more on later films even if they are good.

I suspect for all of those franchises only a plurality like the 2nd the most and there are still more people that like another entry, but there's more disagreement on later entries. Some people prefer Undiscovered Country and Rogue One out there.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

checkplease posted:

Is the super burly brawl the revolutions final fight?

I thought that one was not bad actually. It has some nice lighting shots and mixing it up with camera work at least. Ultimately it probably goes on a little too long like the other burly brawl, but here they make it very clear its a battle of ideology (purpose/fate vs. choice). This one also had blood again at least compared to the last burly brawl.

Yeah, I agree, and get confused when people hate that one worst out of all the fights in the trilogy. At least it had stakes, and a certain brutality to it. The Burly Brawl in Reloaded was like a tech demo, and a bad one.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Star Wars 5
Lord of the Rings 2
Matrix 2
Star Wars 8
Star Trek 2

and so on

You're the first person I've seen who thought Two Towers is the best LOTR movie. And, while Matrix Reloaded is better than most people remember, better than the original? Is this really a common opinion? It's the second time I've seen someone in here just take it as face value.

The original Matrix was, like...it was the loving Matrix, god dammit. No, Matrix 2 is not better than it. I get that opinions are subjective, but, no.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 20, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
A straw poll of my friends revealed that, amongst people I know, there's no clear consensus on the best LotR film besides "none of the Hobbit ones".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

A straw poll of my friends revealed that, amongst people I know, there's no clear consensus on the best LotR film besides "none of the Hobbit ones".

Well, that is the correct answer. But mostly I've found people tend to like Fellowship the most because it was the first one and made them say, "Wow, what is this?", or Return of the King the most because it has all the battles and the ending(s). Two Towers, while great and has some awesome scenes, doesn't have much of a beginning or end, outside of Helm's Deep.

Again, I love all 3 original LOTR movies. I've just never seen people say that Two Towers is the clear best. Seemed weird, to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I have a hard time getting away from my nostalgia for the experience of watching Fellowship of the Ring on opening night, which is something the other two in the trilogy just couldn't match. I was a fan of LOTR growing up, I read them pretty early on, and so the hype for Fellowship coming out was so ridiculously high, and then it actually delivered.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I agree, and get confused when people hate that one worst out of all the fights in the trilogy. At least it had stakes, and a certain brutality to it. The Burly Brawl in Reloaded was like a tech demo, and a bad one.

You're the first person I've seen who thought Two Towers is the best LOTR movie. And, while Matrix Reloaded is better than most people remember, better than the original? Is this really a common opinion? It's the second time I've seen someone in here just take it as face value.

The original Matrix was, like...it was the loving Matrix, god dammit. No, Matrix 2 is not better than it. I get that opinions are subjective, but, no.

lol no, the Matrix Reloaded is not even a good movie, let alone a good Matrix movie either. The person who said that needs to watch more movies. That list is a choice.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

You're the first person I've seen who thought Two Towers is the best LOTR movie.

The two towers has Gandalf come back, it has the epic battle of helms deep, it has saruman having his poo poo pushed in, it's fantastic. Fellowship is a good movie, but I liked the second more. Return of the King was entirely too long and the best part was the ending, and every scene with the Steward of Gondor was a scene I didn't enjoy. The actor was good though.

Matrix 2 has the Smith fight scene, while goofy, is still iconic, and has a few mind melters like Smith inside bane and such, and has the Merovingian and the car chase fight, and neo really coming into his own,doing his "superman thing". Tank was a better operator than Link though.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I really like Matrix 2 in that it asks questions about messiah stories (who controls the stories and why do they exist), and the action once the fight starts in the Merovingians house is all solid stuff. Trinity also gains expanded importance as Neo needs her to stay grounded to humanity. But I think Matrix 1 is just a tighter film. You can tell in 2 that they wanted to go bigger (more locations, characters, action) and in some places like the highway it worked, but for others it just dragged some.

I'd probably just rank them in order of release: 1, 2, 3. But 2 and 3 do give you an increased density of Hugo Weaving, so can't complain there.

Also Two towers has Treebeard and lots of Gollum. Fellowship has neither of these.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Tank was a better operator than Link though.

The "I cant take this" line & delivery really leaves a lot to be desired

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Honestly I think there's only about 3 or 4 shots in all of Matrix Reloaded that I would take out due to overly ambitious CGI(I won't even say it aged poorly because people were criticizing it when the movie released). I feel like just eliminating those few shots would have an outsized impact on the feel of the movie and make it a more timeless, immersive film similar to how the original is thought of today.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The Matrix, obviously, stands alone. It's really a self-contained film that needs no further elaboration. Some aspects of the sequels, like showing Zion or the Machine City, while sometimes cool (the Machine's insectile-hive-mind thing is pretty cool), are diminished by being shown on screen. They can't match up to what your imagination can conjure.

Still, Reloaded is a pretty fun, interesting movie that presaged endless hype MCU movies before its time. It's really weakened by just how much of a mess Revolutions is. I remember scouring message boards in the six months between Reloaded and Revolutions - what was the Architect talking about? Why can Neo suddenly use powers in the "real world"? Is there a "Matrix within a Matrix"?? Is it Matrices all the way down??? (It was a mistake, IMO, that the Wachowskis didn't go down that route)

The problem is there is a very weak resolution to all these questions, and much of the action, while aesthetically pleasing (the human mechs firing up at the ceiling as the sentinels flow into the breach is, also IMO, cool as hell) it lacks weight and heft. Why are Neo and Agent Smith even bothering to have a 10 minute fight scene when we know Neo is only there to give himself up? Whats up with the Merovingian and all the rogue AIs? Oh nothing, actually, they're there for 2 seconds to point to another plot device and disappear for the rest of the film. There are gestures in Reloaded to things that could be elaborated on for endless plot threads, and that makes it a fascinating film, but its packaged with Revolutions which just feels bloated, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Tank was a better operator than Link though.