Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Sometimes it's just a vague unnnoticeable % damage reduction thing though.

This. Did anyone ever finish, say, New Vegas, and think "good thing I chose to wear heavy armor, there were times when my health bar shrinking slightly faster would have surely been the end of me"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hector Delgado posted:

I just set the roll on the back of the toilet tank. Livin' drama free!

Just humble-bragging about how I live like a loving uncivilized savage nbd

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Wrong thread

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Icochet posted:

This. Did anyone ever finish, say, New Vegas, and think "good thing I chose to wear heavy armor, there were times when my health bar shrinking slightly faster would have surely been the end of me"?

when i wear power armor while destroying the ceasars army camp

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
ESPN is currently airing a college football bowl game.
It's the "PubG Mobile New Mexico Bowl", lmao

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
pubg mobile is extremely popular in China
idk why they're wasting their money advertising in NA though

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
They got the logo on the 25 yard line and run a commercial every other break, it's bizarre

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I got ff7r and as someone who doesn't give a gently caress about final fantasy, who never owned any Playstation consoles or really played any ff games...... I like it.

And I like the combat, for the most part.

There are some weird occasions of frame dropping and chugging, and the lack of true video and graphics options is very annoying (there isn't even loving vsync), but 99% of the time it plays and looks great. Also I feel like it would be a better game if you didn't have to rely to some extent on always refilling mp and hp. It would be more fun as a pure character action rpg kind of thing.

But it's still really good, and fun, and you can see how much work was put into it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Icochet posted:

Armor has never made a game more fun.
Hey, want to fight this cool monster? Fight this number first.
Want to live a little longer? Here, have a number. It's like a shirt made of mathematics
Wow, this chestplate increases my armor value from 260 to 274, I will surely enjoy this

Just give me more hitpoints

this made me nod a little, but then i remembered the armour in ghosts and goblins and my nod turned into a frown

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

QuarkJets posted:

But the true purpose of armor is to play dress-up.

And that makes it infuriating when the best armor is a random collection of bullshit. Disconnect armor stats from appearence.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Icochet posted:

Armor has never made a game more fun.
Hey, want to fight this cool monster? Fight this number first.
Want to live a little longer? Here, have a number. It's like a shirt made of mathematics
Wow, this chestplate increases my armor value from 260 to 274, I will surely enjoy this

Just give me more hitpoints

Armour made Dead Space more fun because you experience a gradual metamorphosis from a vulnerable plasma cutter wielding engineer in PPE to fearless walking tank covered in guns you don't need because the plasma cutter still rocks.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 19, 2021

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

When armor is a flat reduction and done right it means that against some enemies a haymaker is more effective and other enemies will take the most damage from a flurry of lighter attacks. More hp doesn't encourage mixing it up like that.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Icochet posted:

You know that feeling when you're at an airport tax-free shop figuring out if you can afford a bottle of rum and some chocolates when you're holding $8,35, €5,20 and £3,50+1/3 shillings? Is it exactly the same as when you're in your local liqueur store?

This is an amazing visualization.

I think it's to provide challenge. The other day I saw a cop shoot then handcuff a wheelchair bound old man and thought about how videogames should provide the old man with at least some armor and energy shields to make it fair.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

limp_cheese posted:

And that makes it infuriating when the best armor is a random collection of bullshit. Disconnect armor stats from appearence.

Nah it's better that the best numbers require that you look like an idiot

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Best armour system in a game is in The Surge 2. You have 6 different equippable locations, and get a bonus for having 3+ of a given armour set or a different, generally more powerful bonus for having all 6. Each bit of armour also boosts a base stat. You can grab a full set for a focussed playstyle, two half sets if you want to diversify, or even just ignore set bonuses completely in order to maximize base stat benefit. There's also a helmet you can get that doesn't belong to any particular set but that contributes to the set bonus count for any armour you have equipped. So you get that, the Lynx armour legs that help you dodge, the Rhino armour arms that deal more stagger than any other arms, and whatever body armour you want, and all of a sudden you are jumping around like a coked-out monkey while hitting like a charging bull.

Note that none of the above mentions damage reduction, the least interesting thing associated with video game armour.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

limp_cheese posted:

Every modern game that throws visible gear onto a character should also have a glamor/transmog system.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Bargearse posted:

Not sure I see the problem here.

you're a monster

Hector Delgado posted:

I just set the roll on the back of the toilet tank. Livin' drama free!

this is an acceptable compromise though

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

pubg mobile is extremely popular in China
idk why they're wasting their money advertising in NA though

Mobile "real" games are actually getting really really popular, it's crazy how quickly it happened but CoD and Pubg mobile both have huge communities.

A friend of mine who doesn't have a PC or console plays cod mobile and it's at least as popular as the "normal" game, including clans and poo poo

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Breetai posted:

Best armour system in a game is in The Surge 2. You have 6 different equippable locations, and get a bonus for having 3+ of a given armour set or a different, generally more powerful bonus for having all 6. Each bit of armour also boosts a base stat. You can grab a full set for a focussed playstyle, two half sets if you want to diversify, or even just ignore set bonuses completely in order to maximize base stat benefit. There's also a helmet you can get that doesn't belong to any particular set but that contributes to the set bonus count for any armour you have equipped. So you get that, the Lynx armour legs that help you dodge, the Rhino armour arms that deal more stagger than any other arms, and whatever body armour you want, and all of a sudden you are jumping around like a coked-out monkey while hitting like a charging bull.

Note that none of the above mentions damage reduction, the least interesting thing associated with video game armour.

I had a surprisingly good time with Surge 2 recently. The levels can be overly confusing with too many shortcuts leading to other shortcuts, but once the combat clicks its really fun and by the end my build was super powerful and I was almost invincible, which was satisfying as hell. I was honestly quite impressed with how the game came together, although its definitely not perfect.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Surge 2 was a huge improvement over the original.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FoolyCharged posted:

When armor is a flat reduction and done right it means that against some enemies a haymaker is more effective and other enemies will take the most damage from a flurry of lighter attacks. More hp doesn't encourage mixing it up like that.

Also, while a game that flattened everything into just "you get more HP" would be less complicated, it was also be really fuckin' boring. A lot of games benefit from having multiple axes of character development just for the sake of variety and mechanical pacing. Heck, depending on the game just adding more and more HP might make things worse in a different way if after a certain point the numbers became bloated and difficult to parse.

That isn't to say I disagree with the idea that many games needlessly overcomplicate their poo poo, communicate it to the player poorly, and never bother to consider if it's actually worth having. That's one of my biggest pet peeves.

Relevant to this conversation, I've been playing through all of the Metroidvanias from SotN and up and they all suffer to one degree or another by having vaguely defined stats and random gear that needs to be considered for how it affects those vague stats. Currently in the middle of Circle of the Moon and it's just absolutely lousy with competing stat priorities and awkward to compare gear.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 19, 2021

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Now I'm remember how mad I got about Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus putting the health as something like 60 because B.J. was getting old and wasn't feeling so hot. Maybe it was the difficulty I was playing on? I know that really the 60 health was just technically the games version of 100 health, but it still kind of puts me off whenever I feel like playing a shooter and start considering my available options.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its because he's all hosed up, but you get extra armour because of the magical suit of armour he has. Its a bit silly but that's how they decided to balance it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Redezga posted:

Now I'm remember how mad I got about Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus putting the health as something like 60 because B.J. was getting old and wasn't feeling so hot. Maybe it was the difficulty I was playing on? I know that really the 60 health was just technically the games version of 100 health, but it still kind of puts me off whenever I feel like playing a shooter and start considering my available options.

It's not permanent by the way, but why it's not permanent would be spoilery. The reduced health is not the game's version of 100 health. After a plot turn you get your real health back.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Oh wow. Now I actually really want to play it again. Thanks! I thought it played well but it seemed like such a hurdle thinking that was the whole game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they balance it out, in the early game you have less total health but more total armor, then more health and less armor

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought that game sort of sucked but that was a twist for the ages.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Play posted:

I got ff7r and as someone who doesn't give a gently caress about final fantasy, who never owned any Playstation consoles or really played any ff games...... I like it.

And I like the combat, for the most part.

There are some weird occasions of frame dropping and chugging, and the lack of true video and graphics options is very annoying (there isn't even loving vsync), but 99% of the time it plays and looks great. Also I feel like it would be a better game if you didn't have to rely to some extent on always refilling mp and hp. It would be more fun as a pure character action rpg kind of thing.

But it's still really good, and fun, and you can see how much work was put into it

straight up this was one of my biggest surprises of last year, and despite liking jrpgs/final fantasy *in theory* I almost always bounce off them

pretty sure when I dipped into the games thread for it they were complaining about a goofy motorcycle duel/boss fight, further cementing the idea that the games subforum functions best as a containment zone for absolute freakin weirdos

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rockman Reserve posted:

a containment zone for absolute freakin weirdos

But enough about _______.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Rockman Reserve posted:

straight up this was one of my biggest surprises of last year, and despite liking jrpgs/final fantasy *in theory* I almost always bounce off them

pretty sure when I dipped into the games thread for it they were complaining about a goofy motorcycle duel/boss fight, further cementing the idea that the games subforum functions best as a containment zone for absolute freakin weirdos

Is that the Roche guy? Yeah that was the point where i realised the ff7 remake wasn't for me

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rockman Reserve posted:

Were they? All I remember is people going lol roche rules

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Is that the Roche guy? Yeah that was the point where i realised the ff7 remake wasn't for me

He doesn't show up ever again, which makes the final bike sequence loving weird - even for people who didn't like roche - because you'd think that'd be the point of introducing him in the first place.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I thought Roche was okay, although quite silly. He is only in the game for like 16 minutes anyway.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I thought for sure he was being set up to be the big threat later when you actually have a motorcycle fight in the original game, but no. He shows up, is the coolest character in any final fantasy game ever, and then fucks off forever

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't even like him but I was so confused at his disappearance

I thought he was gonna ride the Motor Ball or jump on it and explode it then become the final boss.

Hell considering where the game ends, there might be a timeline where he, a SOLDIER, is the final boss of this first chapter as the threat in the last bike sequence.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yeah Roche was silly and dumb and completely pointless

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Witcher / FF7r crossover where geralt gets to use roche's motorcycle and cloud gets to use vernon roche

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I liked the FF7 remake just fine, but burned out right at the end because the combat coukd be unpleasantly stressful. Just let me play this poo poo one handed while browsing Instagram like a real JRPG.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Disco Pope posted:

I liked the FF7 remake just fine, but burned out right at the end because the combat coukd be unpleasantly stressful. Just let me play this poo poo one handed while browsing Instagram like a real JRPG.

Lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dark Souls is the best jrpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And in fact, other than Dark Souls, Final Fantasy 6 is the best souls-like