Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's the novel equivalent of a walking sim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

TRON 2 had zero substance but it was hands-down the most intense audiovisual spectacle I've ever witnessed. Saw it in IMAX 3D, in the theatre's sweet spot. It's the loudest movie ever, and the 3D treatment was shockingly immersive. My legs were shaking when I left the theatre.

I saw it in regular theater 3D. I think I can't see 3D properly because of my glasses or something because it mostly just looked like a normal film to me, only dark.

sebmojo posted:

It's the novel equivalent of a walking sim

I've heard Night in the Woods called a walking sim so apparently I fuckin love walking sims and need to read this book?? I've never actually read any Clarke.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m a big Clarke fan (he’s my fav of “the big 3”) and my top books of his are “Childhood’s End”, “Songs of Distant Earth” and “Rendezvous with Rama”. “Fountains of Paradise” is also up there.

Do not watch the Childhood’s End miniseries that aired a couple years back I beg of you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Clarke makes Niven look filmable and character-driven.

I'm kind of surprised that we haven't seen Niven adaptations yet, but the guy is both alive and is a cranky libertarian from money, so they'd probably have to bargain with him and he would want a giant bucket of money.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
The first Rama book is not really that horny, but the subsequent ones get weird.

Like, heart-exploding STDs weird.

Still good, though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bubblyblubber posted:

The first Rama book is not really that horny, but the subsequent ones get weird.

Like, heart-exploding STDs weird.

Still good, though.

Yah the first one just has one sentence in the end how the cosmonauts are having a post mission gently caress fest which is incredibly tame by Clarke’s later standards.

The later Rama books were mostly written by Gentry Lee, with Clarke providing “big ideas” and more importantly allowing his name to be slapped on there :haw: I like them too though, Nicole is a good character. She goes through quite the lifetime!

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Nessus posted:

I'm kind of surprised that we haven't seen Niven adaptations yet, but the guy is both alive and is a cranky libertarian from money, so they'd probably have to bargain with him and he would want a giant bucket of money.

I'd kill for a good adaptation of The Mote in Gods Eye

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shaddak posted:

I'd kill for a good adaptation of The Mote in Gods Eye

I think I heard that Amazon had the rights to Ringworld or something, but they have such a queue of money pit sci fi/fantasy shows I can't imagine they're getting to that soon.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fuschia tude posted:

I saw it in regular theater 3D. I think I can't see 3D properly because of my glasses or something because it mostly just looked like a normal film to me, only dark.

I've heard Night in the Woods called a walking sim so apparently I fuckin love walking sims and need to read this book?? I've never actually read any Clarke.

I mean I liked it a lot when I read it, uh, 40 years ago but I can't remember anything that happens in it apart from wandering around looking at cool alien poo poo and going... Huh

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

sebmojo posted:

I mean I liked it a lot when I read it, uh, 40 years ago but I can't remember anything that happens in it apart from wandering around looking at cool alien poo poo and going... Huh

Sounds perfect for Villenueve

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I can't wait to see this chump gently caress up Rendezvous with Rama. At least there aren't really any characters in this one so you don't have to cut anything out

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

sebmojo posted:

I loved Myst as a kid so Rendezvous with Rama was right up my alley. I tried to read the second one but couldn't get into it though, which is probably for the best since I hear they got weird.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Coxswain Balls posted:

I loved Myst as a kid so Rendezvous with Rama was right up my alley. I tried to read the second one but couldn't get into it though, which is probably for the best since I hear they got weird.

The later Rama novels are not dissimilar to Heretics and Chapterhouse in that they're both weird and horny

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colonel Cancer posted:

I can't wait to see this chump gently caress up Rendezvous with Rama. At least there aren't really any characters in this one so you don't have to cut anything out

It will probably be really good, I agree with you.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Can't be worse than the book

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

TRON 2 had zero substance but it was hands-down the most intense audiovisual spectacle I've ever witnessed. Saw it in IMAX 3D, in the theatre's sweet spot. It's the loudest movie ever, and the 3D treatment was shockingly immersive. My legs were shaking when I left the theatre.

This but Gravity

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nessus posted:

Remind me that there's a history going back to TAS of the Kzinti almost being in Star Trek. (after a TAS episode that was basically The Soft Weapon adapted to Star Trek)

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

sebmojo posted:

It's been a while since I've read it as well, but that's basically it. I enjoy Rama for what it is, but there's only one actual character in the book, and that's Rama itself. All the humans as very archetypal 1950's straight-laced scientists who are there to Look At Stuff and overcome various challenges in order to Look At More Stuff.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

There were cool scheming Mercury train people whomst KSR later ripped off

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Colonel Cancer posted:

There were cool scheming Mercury train people whomst KSR later ripped off

Aha! That's interesting.
I think Mercury Trains have shown up in two, possibly four unrelated KSR universes, so I think he's basically daring readers to make something of it at this point.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tree Bucket posted:

Aha! That's interesting.
I think Mercury Trains have shown up in two, possibly four unrelated KSR universes, so I think he's basically daring readers to make something of it at this point.

I've always assumed everything KSR wrote is in the same universe, but I haven't read it all :shrug:

Mars, Aurora and that time Mercury's train people got nuked are all definitely on the same timeline.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Colonel Cancer posted:

I've always assumed everything KSR wrote is in the same universe, but I haven't read it all :shrug:

Mars, Aurora and that time Mercury's train people got nuked are all definitely on the same timeline.

I'm pretty sure they're all separate. Mars was written in the 90's and is really optimistic and has colonists releasing dolphins on the red planet, as humanity expands into the solar system and beyond. Aurora was written a lot more recently and is 500 pages of ecosystems winding down and collapsing under the weight of their own poisons; and when people go to Mars, they discover that the dirt explodes if you get it wet.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm pretty sure they're all separate. Mars was written in the 90's and is really optimistic and has colonists releasing dolphins on the red planet, as humanity expands into the solar system and beyond. Aurora was written a lot more recently and is 500 pages of ecosystems winding down and collapsing under the weight of their own poisons; and when people go to Mars, they discover that the dirt explodes if you get it wet.

Loved Aurora, probably in the top 5 books for me rn, but I'm pretty sure they mentioned Mars in there too. The timeline might be a little fucky though

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

KSR freely reuses a lot of ideas/names/concepts (like the moving city Terminator on Mercury, computers are called Pauline, if a character is named Frank he's a liar) but has never tried to make them all fit a single timeline, and has said he has no interest in doing so.

Mars Trilogy / 2312 / Aurora (and NY2140) have little enough temporal overlap (and enough rough similarities in the setting) that you could imagine them happening in the same universe, but they definitely don't. There are lots of details that don't match up.

I went digging, here's the quote (specifically about Mars / 2312):

KSR posted:

...I don't like linking up my various projects into one larger future history. I've never done it, and so of course now it's too late, and I don't regret it. I don't see that the advantages of some larger macro-history are very large, compared to the flexibility that I've gained by making each novel have its own future history. Even within my Mars stories there are a couple alternative historical lines to the main one described in the trilogy. I think it's best to keep on updating one's views on what is "most likely to happen," and write accordingly. And doing it this way means each time I have a chance to invent a whole new history, and even if they are somewhat similar, there's still a lot of pleasure to be had there in the details.

So all his works end up loosely connected, and respond to each other, reusing/updating/dropping details and ideas instead of trying to contort new stuff to make it fit with the old. It's cool, you get to watch his ideas about a whole bunch of topics evolve as the decades go on. I'm actually in the middle of rereading 1984's Icehenge, which includes starships inevitable failure of the onboard ecology is a main plot point, Martian revolutions failed/terraforming much slower, longevity treatments, etc. Lots of overlap, but lots of unique parts too.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 16, 2021

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Prolonged Panorama posted:

KSR freely reuses a lot of ideas/names/concepts (like the moving city Terminator on Mercury, computers are called Pauline, if a character is named Frank he's a liar) but has never tried to make them all fit a single timeline, and has said he has no interest in doing so.

Mars Trilogy / 2313 / Aurora (and NY2140) have little enough temporal overlap (and enough rough similarities in the setting) that you could imagine them happening in the same universe, but they definitely don't. There are lots of details that don't match up.

I went digging, here's the quote (specifically about Mars / 2312):

So all his works end up loosely connected, and respond to each other, reusing/updating/dropping details and ideas instead of trying to contort new stuff to make it fit with the old. It's cool, you get to watch his ideas about a whole bunch of topics evolve as the decades go on. I'm actually in the middle of rereading 1984's Icehenge, which includes starships inevitable failure of the onboard ecology is a main plot point, Martian revolutions failed/terraforming much slower, longevity treatments, etc. Lots of overlap, but lots of unique parts too.
Huh neat. I'm going through the prehistoric shamans book it's definitely in the same timeline :colbert:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The Years of Rice and Salt is another KSR book that's a good match for this thread, with a lot of really interesting looks at Islam. I can't tell if he's just writing surface-level things in a way that sounds impressive, or if he actually knows his stuff though...

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

KSR is a pretty serious literary guy, I think he does his research and is self aware enough to not treat other cultures recklessly.

He scratches a different itch for me than DUNC/Herbert does, but there's a good amount of overlap - big themes of ecology and environment, science, history, the human relationship to the landscape (in particular).

I think KSR's 1997 Antarctica is a tolerable Dune companion - a mix of near-future adventure/science/crisis and true history, set in a (lovingly rendered) extreme environment, with themes of resource extraction, eco-sabotage, and hidden societies. No knife-fighting or (non-legal) battles, but there's moments of action and long sequences of tense/brutal/beautiful wilderness survival (some of it completely true - the early exploration of Antarctica was insane). The scope is smaller, the stakes are lower, but the background is the renegotiation of the Antarctic Treaty - who gets to use this continent, and how? We see all the factions (from scientists to laborers to multinational corporations and more) and what they're fighting for. Oh, and it has storms. And coffee.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Prolonged Panorama posted:

Oh, and it has storms. And coffee.

EDIT: You can't edit a post with an attached image to timg it? :raise:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Tree Bucket posted:

The Years of Rice and Salt is another KSR book that's a good match for this thread, with a lot of really interesting looks at Islam. I can't tell if he's just writing surface-level things in a way that sounds impressive, or if he actually knows his stuff though...

Years of Rice and Salt is a FANTASTIC book everyone should read it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the only KSR ive read was The Memory of Whiteness, which i think is one of his earliest books and its a weird story about a composer going on a tour of the solar system in a sort of organ/synth-spaceship and an orchestra and some media people. at one point the tour stops on mars where there are some hints of what he would later develop in the red/green/blue mars trilogy. its kind of a meandering book without much conflict other than some sort of hints of conspiracies and cults, but also fairly short. i dont think it would make for a great movie, but i enjoyed reading it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fuschia tude posted:

EDIT: You can't edit a post with an attached image to timg it? :raise:

the attachment system is rear end just use imgur

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Bloop posted:

the attachment system is rear end just use imgur

it's rear end too nowadays

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Naw it's fine.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's got a few quirks in that if you preview a post the attachment doesn't get attached (it only happens when you post it), but otherwise it's fine.

When imgur eventually pulls a imageshack after imgur recently got acquired by some other media company, I expect more people will start using it.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
well this thing is terrible at generating the savior of mankind.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's got a few quirks in that if you preview a post the attachment doesn't get attached (it only happens when you post it), but otherwise it's fine.

When imgur eventually pulls a imageshack after imgur recently got acquired by some other media company, I expect more people will start using it.

I mean you also can't post with multiple images, with text after or between images, or really edit the drat thing. It's pretty limited as it stands. Hopefully someday it will be much more robust

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Bloop posted:

I mean you also can't post with multiple images, with text after or between images, or really edit the drat thing. It's pretty limited as it stands. Hopefully someday it will be much more robust
I think it might be not the worst idea to add it to a thread about issues on SA in the TECH subforum, or create a thread for it?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I think it might be not the worst idea to add it to a thread about issues on SA in the TECH subforum, or create a thread for it?

Astral has talked about it. It's on the list but after all the things that are on fire, broken, or held up with load bearing slurs (this last one is real)

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Jewmanji posted:

It’s just been announced that Villeneuve is set to direct Rendezvous with Rama. I hope that doesn’t mean that Messiah is off the table :(

Or maybe the plan is to do Messiah after a bit of a gap.

That surprised me. Seems like a really difficult book to adapt. But it's been years since I read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The Bloop posted:

held up with load bearing slurs (this last one is real)

I'm curious but do I even want to know