Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Phylodox posted:

The deciding factor is obviously whether or not the heroes are included. If we’re talking just the squads minus Dutch and Ripley, then they’re all dead. Do the Colonial Marines have to operate under Dutch? Does Dutch’s squad have Ripley? These are the important questions.
Obviously yes to both. No reason Ripley wouldn't be there as a consultant. Dutch is a major, though Dillon outranks him (Lt. Col?) and would probably be working with Burke like Gorman was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
In defense of characterizing Weyland-Yutani as evil in Alien:

WY is either grossly negligent or wilfully malicious in distributing an AI manager that has no clauses, checks or hard limits to prevent it from coming to a conclusion that an entire crew, or any worker, is expendable. Aka, no death prevention of anyone. (Does Mother consider herself as part of the crew?)

Surely, WY did some stress testing with Cyberdyne on the MU software. Cyberdyne, hopefully, would do their own rigorous tests through all of development.
This means that WY did not do enough "quality control" to prevent MU software from freely choosing on the value of anyone's life to the point of trading a full crew for animal research. That, or the ability for MU units to make wild judgements on the value of the crew is wilfully implemented.

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 18, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Aliens marines could beat the Predator if they have all the weapons/tracking stuff they have in Aliens but they're also super casual+cocky so the Predator would still rack up a body count.

Dutch's team would effortlessly mow down the aliens because Dillon would have the intel to say that the aliens have prisoners (which is factually correct) they need to rescue which like in their film would ultra-embolden them to fight at maximum efficiency.

Then after they would find out the "prisoners" are implanted with aliens and that Dillon SET THEM UUUUPPP to recover a sample of the alien or whatever

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Would the prisoners from A3 be able to kill a predator?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

banned from Starbucks posted:

You know, I like their odds. Because if a predator decided to make sport of them, by their own ritual rules of the hunt they'd be stuck using weapons in at least the ballpark of what the prisoners had access to. Knives, swords, blunt instruments.

No honor killing fish in a barrel with a plasma caster.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

The Aliens marines could beat the Predator if they have all the weapons/tracking stuff they have in Aliens but they're also super casual+cocky so the Predator would still rack up a body count.

Dutch's team would effortlessly mow down the aliens because Dillon would have the intel to say that the aliens have prisoners (which is factually correct) they need to rescue which like in their film would ultra-embolden them to fight at maximum efficiency.

Then after they would find out the "prisoners" are implanted with aliens and that Dillon SET THEM UUUUPPP to recover a sample of the alien or whatever

Exactly what I was thinking! :colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 19, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

loving amazing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Absolutely not unless the Predator gets between them and one of those cigarette dispensers

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

As someone raised in a very Catholic household this man has always had my blessing

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

lol h.r. giger ftw

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Doesn't one marine ask "is this another bug hunt?" I always took that to mean they'd fought other alien wildlife before, though obviously not as dangerous as xenomorphs.

Yeah, they're used to killing Predators that are threatening colonies and didn't expect to run into something as dangerous as Xenos.

In all seriousness, yeah agreed that they were used to basically killing alien pests that colonists ran into and never ran into anything that gave them much trouble.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

You know, I like their odds. Because if a predator decided to make sport of them, by their own ritual rules of the hunt they'd be stuck using weapons in at least the ballpark of what the prisoners had access to. Knives, swords, blunt instruments.

No honor killing fish in a barrel with a plasma caster.

I've always considered that the predator honor of the hunt is mostly a bunch of bullshit. The predator has invisibility and laser weapons.

Its like when a human hunter kills a tiger, mounts it on his wall and then waxes poetic about what a fierce and beautiful foe it was. Yeah but, you still had the gun.

IMO Dutch only really got the predator to disarm because by this point he'd earned its respect enough that the predator was like 'this will be cool'. I don't think they're particularly bound to play 'fair' with prey.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

massive spider posted:

I've always considered that the predator honor of the hunt is mostly a bunch of bullshit. The predator has invisibility and laser weapons.

Its like when a human hunter kills a tiger, mounts it on his wall and then waxes poetic about what a fierce and beautiful foe it was. Yeah but, you still had the gun.

IMO Dutch only really got the predator to disarm because by this point he'd earned its respect enough that the predator was like 'this will be cool'. I don't think they're particularly bound to play 'fair' with prey.

I think there is an idea of fair play, but the Predator obviously skews things it's way. Like almost no one would see the honor of that tiger kill if the human called in an AC130 gunship, but some give credit when its just one man with a rifle.

Like in Predators when the Yakuza guy issues a katana challenge he's met in melee instead of picked off by plasma from 300 yards.

They wont do absolute parity but a rough approximation in their favor. You have ballistic weapons I'll use my plasma caster. You're down to a stamped steel Machete I'll use my unobtainium space claws. And yeah I'll be invisible the whole time.

It would be a bloodbath but I think the convicts have a shot.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
the predator honor system is mostly just expanded universe bullshit that wasnt supported in the first movie imo. the Predator likes to hunt people. so he brings a laser gun and a cloaking system to hunt people and while these weapons may not be the best predator technology has to offer it still gives it an unfair advantage over its prey just like how a gun and camouflage give a hunter an unfair advantage over game. when Dutch outsmarts it he has also managed to break its guns and cloak so it decided to fight in hand to hand combat because what else was it going to do at that point? It might also make a cool story to tell other Predators...

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the predator honor system is mostly just expanded universe bullshit that wasnt supported in the first movie imo. the Predator likes to hunt people. so he brings a laser gun and a cloaking system to hunt people and while these weapons may not be the best predator technology has to offer it still gives it an unfair advantage over its prey just like how a gun and camouflage give a hunter an unfair advantage over game. when Dutch outsmarts it he has also managed to break its guns and cloak so it decided to fight in hand to hand combat because what else was it going to do at that point? It might also make a cool story to tell other Predators...

The implication in Predator 1 is that when you strip down and don't use guns and use bladed weapons, the Predator will too because of Billy. That's where the "honor system" thing started and continued with Arnold and him punching Arnold around to show he was superior instead of just killing him. Also, Dutch knocks the gun out of Anna's hands to keep her as not being a target due to not being a combatant. It was obvious to me as a kid that Predators had a "code" of sorts just from watching the first movie.

The code is basically analogous to human hunters. We keep ourselves at an advantage at all times as well, but Predator 1 is basically a bow hunter in camo tracking and hunting deer or something, while Predator 2 is a dude with deer scent, high powered scope rifles traps already set, and hunting in an area that isn't set for hunting and deer are already kind of used to humans and are super overpopulated.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Darko posted:

The code is basically analogous to human hunters. We keep ourselves at an advantage at all times as well, but Predator 1 is basically a bow hunter in camo tracking and hunting deer or something, while Predator 2 is a dude with deer scent, high powered scope rifles traps already set, and hunting in an area that isn't set for hunting and deer are already kind of used to humans and are super overpopulated.

And the deer still kicks his rear end.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Alhazred posted:

And the deer still kicks his rear end.

I'd say it's more like the hunter is coming in to kill the wounded deer and slips in deer poop and cracks his head open. Arnold managed to accomplish a whole bunch of nothing and was beaten when he realized that the Predator just happened to be standing under the counterweight to his trap (after he tried to trick it into a trap and got busted).

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, extraterrestrial life exists, it’s not like ‘Alien’ was a first contact scenario.

You're the expert. Is there some game or comic that has all this?

I assumed the Bug Hunt comment was them asking if this was a 'Snipe Hunt' or some other wild goose chase bullshit that doesn't lead to anything interesting. If they expected real aliens I figured they'd be a bit more interested in the mission if they got to shoot things. I always assumed they buy the story that it is just some bullshit broken radio tower or something and they are there because it's some boring obligation. I assumed if they really believed in Aliens they might take Ripley's story more seriously, if aliens of some sort had been encountered.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I assumed the Bug Hunt comment was them asking if this was a 'Snipe Hunt' or some other wild goose chase bullshit that doesn't lead to anything interesting. If they expected real aliens I figured they'd be a bit more interested in the mission if they got to shoot things. I always assumed they buy the story that it is just some bullshit broken radio tower or something and they are there because it's some boring obligation. I assumed if they really believed in Aliens they might take Ripley's story more seriously, if aliens of some sort had been encountered.

In the original Aliens vs. Predator comic by Dark House, the human colonists on the ranching planet it's set on are herding alien cattle.

The comic, is totally awesome, orders of magnitude better than the poo poo movie they made.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mr. Grapes! posted:

That’s the point of them not believing her story - extraterrestrials exist and it isn’t a big deal because (as mentioned at Ripley’s inquest) they’d surveyed hundreds of worlds and never encountered anything like what Ripley described, not that they’d never encountered aliens ever. Burke tells Ripley before they leave that the USCM are “tough hombres” and are trained to deal with stuff like that (or so they think), implying they’ve seen extraterrestrials before. Gorman even has a term for it: “xenomorph”.

The Marines aren’t interested because bug hunts are boring; the colonists/company are calling the literal military in to handle basically exterminator problems where little two-headed space rats or whatever are chewing through the electrical wiring and the incompetent colonists can’t handle their bullshit problem on their own.
Like, if it was a genuine first contact scenario where there isn’t any real indication yet that anyone was in danger, sending in an armed warship carrying a platoon of soldiers with heavy weaponry with the explicit instructions to shoot first and ask questions later is a pretty wild reaction. The marines think that at worst they’re going to have to break out the flamethrowers and shoo away some space roaches or space wolves or whatever, pat the colonists on the head and tell them to calm down, and leave.

In ‘Alien’, none of the characters react like finding the Derelict signal or the Alien eggs is a full-on “first time humanity has ever encountered extraterrestrial life” scenario. They do it because there’s a clause in their contracts that says they have to or they don’t get paid. The fact that there even are pre-written clauses and protocols is as strong indicator that that sort of stuff has happened before.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
thoughts:

HR Giger looks like a Tim Heidecker character.

Instead of replacing the USCM with Dutch's crew, what if Dutch's crew were the crew of the Nostromo?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Marines in Aliens also get serious when they do the first sweep of the colony and realise something bad happened, and are extremely pissed when command sends them into the reactor undergunned (for a very good reason it turns out, but at that point in the story, before they've even seen an alien, they are taking the threat very seriously).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

thoughts:

HR Giger looks like a Tim Heidecker character.

Instead of replacing the USCM with Dutch's crew, what if Dutch's crew were the crew of the Nostromo?

Do they only have access to the gear from the movie, or do they have all their guns too?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Nostromo would be Swiss cheese if they kept their weapons.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah but the Alien would be totally dead, mission accomplished :colbert:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Watched leprechaun in space the other night.

It feels like a movie that somebody originally wrote as an Alien movie, got rejected and said gently caress it replace the alien with the leprechaun.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Thumposaurus posted:

Watched leprechaun in space the other night.

It feels like a movie that somebody originally wrote as an Alien movie, got rejected and said gently caress it replace the alien with the leprechaun.

i admire its purity

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr. Grapes! posted:

There's a Colonial Marine novel with a bunch of short stories that has them against Xenos and other random stuff. There's a prequel story where some of the marines in Aliens survive against some other alien type.

Darko fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 21, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I mean, I was going just off the first two movies, but if you want to go expanded universe there are the stories you mentioned, there’s the old RPG, the new RPG (which uses some material from the old RPG), the recent Fireteam videogame and its prequel novel, the old colonial marines technical manual, Isolation might reference it, Alien Resurrection, Alien Covenant and Prometheus all showed or implied extraterrestrial life, and then there are some comics and novels (Colonial Marines comic off the top of my head, the AvP comic as mentioned, Alien: Steel Egg novel).

Like, the Alien universe (and even the Predator universe, if you want to include that) aren’t teeming with millions of species or have a ton of sentient races like Star Wars/Star Trek/Farscape/Babylon 5 or whatever, but yeah there are other complex organisms other than capital-A Aliens even if they’re not common.

Speaking of sentient life, off the top of my head other than humans, Predators, and Engineers (and Aliens) I can think of only a handful of other confirmed sentient or semi-sentient races that crop up in the expanded universe. They’re all one-offs, and they’re all either long dead, basically stone-age technology, have no interaction with humans, or some combination thereof. I can think of maybe…. 6 or 7?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, that's the area where I wish the new RPG either went into more or less detail. I either want other species in this universe to be hinted at only in rumors and whispers, or I want to be able to see some neat illustrations and detailed species profiles. As it stands they lay out some broad details about a bunch of different creatures but it feels a bit unsatisfying.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ll ask the author about that if I can. He’s a big fan of the old West End Games Star Wars RPG stuff so I wouldn’t be surprised if we get some kind of bestiary supplement.

Edit— already got a response! lol

He says it’s an intentional middle-ground so people can fill in blanks with their imagination or throw stuff out wholesale if they want :shrug:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 21, 2021

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

This reminds me of that vaporware game, also called Prey, where a Native American is abducted by aliens and skates through vagina tunnels in their space ship. It was supposed to be in build engine then quake then quake 2 then . . . eventually we got a really good game out of it about consciousness eating aliens.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vitruvian Manic posted:

This reminds me of that vaporware game, also called Prey, where a Native American is abducted by aliens and skates through vagina tunnels in their space ship. It was supposed to be in build engine then quake then quake 2 then . . . eventually we got a really good game out of it about consciousness eating aliens.

The one you’re thinking about with the Native American came out and it’s great. It did Portals before Portal did, and even had portal tech functioning in its early builds circa like 1998, which is nuts.

https://youtu.be/Ngbwe1amOlk

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Xenomrph posted:

In ‘Alien’, none of the characters react like finding the Derelict signal or the Alien eggs is a full-on “first time humanity has ever encountered extraterrestrial life” scenario. They do it because there’s a clause in their contracts that says they have to or they don’t get paid. The fact that there even are pre-written clauses and protocols is as strong indicator that that sort of stuff has happened before.

I always though when Kane was all "We got/must to go on!" and all gun ho for exploring the derelict, was implying that it was a 1st contact with a space ship of non human design. :shrug:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I think the alien universe works best if humans are pretty much alone.

If it's star trek with the space jockeys running around to go say hi to and forehead aliens on every other planet you lose some of the horror of the universe being barren and profoundly hostile.

I realize there's rpgs and video games and comic books and even some canon/semi-canon material to contradict this but doesn't change how I think the themes work ar their purest.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

If it's star trek with the space jockeys running around to go say hi to and forehead aliens on every other planet you lose some of the horror of the universe being barren and profoundly hostile.

I realize there's rpgs and video games and comic books and even some canon/semi-canon material to contradict this but doesn't change how I think the themes work ar their purest.

Yeah it's best when it's future-Lovecraftian. Humans stumbling through the debris of long dead elder civilisations and occasionally awakening something that should have been left to sleep.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Space is a big place. It still works even knowing other races are out there.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ScottyJSno posted:

I always though when Kane was all "We got/must to go on!" and all gun ho for exploring the derelict, was implying that it was a 1st contact with a space ship of non human design. :shrug:
It could be, sure, but it still doesn’t mean humanity had never encountered complex unintelligent/nonsentient indigenous life on other worlds. If you take the prequels into account, we know there is other life out there - the little worms in Prometheus that mutate into the Hammerpede that kills Milburn, and the plant life on David’s planet in Covenant (and whatever indigenous life the black goo bombs wiped out, and whatever life David experimented on to make his Alien eggs).
Fury 161 in Alien3 had lice, although it’s unclear if that’s some kind of Space Lice or if it’s just a rampant infestation of transplanted earth lice that they just can’t stop or whatever.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Eh I don’t think the expanded universe stuff even really contradicts it. Like I mentioned, the EU only even shows like 6 other sentient races out there, and they’re all either long-dead, isolated and never interact with humans, or stone-age tech. It’s not like there’s a Galactic Federation out there waiting for us to join.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I watched alien yesterday

Still a 5/5 film