Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I want to drat every soul that ever was to live every life that has ever lived on this hell rock from start to finish and the ask them if it was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
Nietzsche was right when he said the fate of humanity would rely on the overcoming of nihilism. This thread doesn't try at all, it just wallows.

Things matter now more than they ever have.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
All evidence points to the planet being irreversibly fatally damaged and no person who browses this thread is in a position to do anything to meaningfully stop it (anything that could have once made a difference is illegal to even discuss). I'm not sure how recognizing that and coming to terms with its impact on what's left of our lives is nihilistic

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
conservation work and abolishing pipelines and drilling would be a step~

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

Too expensive

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Lastgirl posted:

A step towards the government killing you for threatening the mechanism which gives them the authority to remain in power, sure.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I was inspired so I just went out and abolished a pipeline. Turns out anyone can do it let's goooo

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

used loose leaf tea instead of a tea bag today

doing my part!! :angel:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
meditated nonstop until i developed sub-zero powers then went up to the arctic to refreeze it, doing what i can

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I put some leaves in my cars gas tank so it runs on half renewables now

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

splifyphus posted:

Nietzsche was right when he said the fate of humanity would rely on the overcoming of nihilism. This thread doesn't try at all, it just wallows.

it's the other way round, things matter less and less as we march to our doom

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I never been able to believe in a magical afterlife, but if there was one, I would love a chance to speak to all the old dead philosophers, scientists, activist, revolutionaries, civil rights leaders, certain authors and artists and generally anyone with a deeply optimistic and kind view of the future, humanity, and who truly thought the things they said and did mattered, and that there was some bright shining future for people.

I would just love to ask them "So how about that whole ending bit there lmao."

A good lot of them probably believed in armageddon anyway, and would likely factor climate collapse into that pre-existing belief system anyway

I more interesting discussion would begin with "so we proved God doesn't exist..."

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
me, lungs riddled with cancer: "i should try to accept my fate"
some dumbass goon: "no you fool! stopping smoking now matters more than ever before"

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

at this point I just assume "guys if we all just set our minds to it we can turn this around!" is a cry for help

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I can point at a whole stand of trees that I planted, I expect things will start getting better any day now.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
planting trees as carbon scrubbers around my prepper house

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I never been able to believe in a magical afterlife, but if there was one, I would love a chance to speak to all the old dead philosophers, scientists, activist, revolutionaries, civil rights leaders, certain authors and artists and generally anyone with a deeply optimistic and kind view of the future, humanity, and who truly thought the things they said and did mattered, and that there was some bright shining future for people.

I would just love to ask them "So how about that whole ending bit there lmao."

People’s lives and experiences still matter even if we all die of starvation while hunkering down during the big dust tornado bowl of 2030.

That’s the same mindset as “why do anything nothing matters” - now still matters dude. Just enjoy life, you’re gonna die eventually whether it’s climate change related or whatever.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Throwing plastic in the ocean brb

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

planting trees as carbon scrubbers around my prepper house

just make sure to give yourself denfensible space

https://www.readyforwildfire.org/wp-content/uploads/DefensibleSpaceFlyer.pdf

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

if i plant any trees or blow up any pipelines, it is going to be wholly motivated by spite

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

I remember telling people that with considerable warming means more energy input into the earth, which means higher wind speeds. Turns out that really happens during winter.

so we are gonna have stagnant heat during summer burning everything, and then 100mph wind storms yearly during winter.

Forever more, forever storm, wind, wind wind.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

splifyphus posted:

unless you're coming in here with any real suggestions as to how we can make things better, maybe criticizing the people in the thread for recognizing the crisis we're in isn't the best move

"things matter now more than they ever have" but we're utterly removed from the levers of power. i have tried to fight things at the lowest political level possible and it resulted in personal attacks, tens of thousands of dollars spent against me and a real look into how vested power actually responds to threats

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
so build wind resistant dome houses, got it

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

im doing my part: voting Democrat this November!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

im doing my part: voting Democrat this November!

we'll know who the 1 vote for dem nationwide was then

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

splifyphus posted:

wallowigi

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:hmmyes:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Literally laying in bed on this dreary Sunday morning catching up on all 3 of these threads. Lmao

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
well thanks for all stumbling over yourselves to prove my point. I'll try to provide an example of actually trying to combat nihilism rather than just mainlining it.

T-Paine posted:

All evidence points to the planet being irreversibly fatally damaged and no person who browses this thread is in a position to do anything to meaningfully stop it (anything that could have once made a difference is illegal to even discuss). I'm not sure how recognizing that and coming to terms with its impact on what's left of our lives is nihilistic

that's all true, and here's something else that's true: this mentality is a self-fulfilling prophecy. you share this mentality with oil execs, the big bourgeoisie, and p much all of liberaldom. the least you can do for yourself in your last gasping, meaningless moments is maybe try to differentiate your own viewpoint from the people responsible, right?

CODChimera posted:

it's the other way round, things matter less and less as we march to our doom

another self fulfilling prophecy, and also not true. there will come a moment when there is only one human left - perhaps it is at that moment that things will matter most.

Cold on a Cob posted:

me, lungs riddled with cancer: "i should try to accept my fate"
some dumbass goon: "no you fool! stopping smoking now matters more than ever before"

in this hypothetical, the difference is between whether one dies as a smoker, or whether one dies having beaten the addiction. this is a meaningful difference to the smoker.

blatman posted:

at this point I just assume "guys if we all just set our minds to it we can turn this around!" is a cry for help

that's not at all what I said, but if you want something affirmative then how about this: if we're collectively powerful enough to cause a mass extinction event, we're collectively powerful enough to stop it.

Cloks posted:

unless you're coming in here with any real suggestions as to how we can make things better, maybe criticizing the people in the thread for recognizing the crisis we're in isn't the best move

it's not the recognition of the crisis that's the problem, it's that there's a hidden automatic decision already in how you're all recognizing the problem. you're all going "welp; we're totally hosed - > nothing matters and we're completely helpless" - in one smooth habitual gesture, which reproduces your social conditioning without remainder. it's liberalism.

The gently caress do y'all want to die liberals for, bitches?

how about this "welp; the situation is hosed and we're totally helpless - > may as well die throwing my body into the gears of the machine in the most effective way possible.

quote:

"things matter now more than they ever have" but we're utterly removed from the levers of power. i have tried to fight things at the lowest political level possible and it resulted in personal attacks, tens of thousands of dollars spent against me and a real look into how vested power actually responds to threats

ya man i know how imperialist society works, but your assessment is undialectical. you're assuming the status quo power structure is permanent and intractable. it is not. it could collapse overnight, and your nihilist rear end wouldn't be organized or promethean enough to take advantage of the power vacuum.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The Vinja Ninja posted:

I remember telling people that with considerable warming means more energy input into the earth, which means higher wind speeds. Turns out that really happens during winter.

so we are gonna have stagnant heat during summer burning everything, and then 100mph wind storms yearly during winter.

Forever more, forever storm, wind, wind wind.

Ayup. For anyone else:

quote:

Since warm air is less dense and creates less air pressure, it will rise; cold air is denser and creates greater air pressure, and so it will sink. When warm air rises, cooler air will often move in to replace it, so wind often moves from areas where it's colder to areas where it's warmer. The greater the difference between the high and low pressure or the shorter the distance between the high and low pressure areas, the faster the wind will blow. Wind also blows faster if there's nothing in its way, so winds are usually stronger over oceans or flat ground. Meteorologists can forecast the speed and direction of wind by measuring air pressure with a barometer.

There's a whole little terminology field you can dig into like Katabatic winds, Adiabatic winds, but at the end of the day it's warm or cool air interacting with warm or cool land / water masses to drive wind speeds.

Who could have known that adding a shitload of heat energy would crank the outcome dial on those interactions?!? Not as if sailors have understood this poo poo for centuries or anything.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

splifyphus posted:

in this hypothetical, the difference is between whether one dies as a smoker, or whether one dies having beaten the addiction. this is a meaningful difference to the smoker.

i watched my dad die of esophageal cancer from a lifetime of smoking, no it doesn't matter. what the gently caress.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

splifyphus posted:

that's not at all what I said, but if you want something affirmative then how about this: if we're collectively powerful enough to cause a mass extinction event, we're collectively powerful enough to stop it.

causing the problem and stopping the problem are two entirely different types of problem, think of it more like suggesting you can stop your house from having burned down because you started the fire

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

splifyphus posted:

I'm excitedly drawing up plans for my future underground society where we primarily grow and harvest lichen to boil for soup

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

splifyphus posted:

well thanks for all stumbling over yourselves to prove my point. I'll try to provide an example of actually trying to combat nihilism rather than just mainlining it.

that's all true, and here's something else that's true: this mentality is a self-fulfilling prophecy. you share this mentality with oil execs, the big bourgeoisie, and p much all of liberaldom. the least you can do for yourself in your last gasping, meaningless moments is maybe try to differentiate your own viewpoint from the people responsible, right?

another self fulfilling prophecy, and also not true. there will come a moment when there is only one human left - perhaps it is at that moment that things will matter most.

it's not the recognition of the crisis that's the problem, it's that there's a hidden automatic decision already in how you're all recognizing the problem. you're all going "welp; we're totally hosed - > nothing matters and we're completely helpless" - in one smooth habitual gesture, which reproduces your social conditioning without remainder. it's liberalism.

The gently caress do y'all want to die liberals for, bitches?

how about this "welp; the situation is hosed and we're totally helpless - > may as well die throwing my body into the gears of the machine in the most effective way possible.

ya man i know how imperialist society works, but your assessment is undialectical. you're assuming the status quo power structure is permanent and intractable. it is not. it could collapse overnight, and your nihilist rear end wouldn't be organized or promethean enough to take advantage of the power vacuum.

All these words and you still couldn’t come up with anything for us to do to actually help the climate.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Trabisnikof posted:

All these words and you still couldn’t come up with anything for us to do to actually help the climate.

have you considered throwing your body into the gears of power? I'm very smart, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

And I disagree with the thread consensus, I think there are actually goons reading this thread powerful enough to actually have a meaningful impact on climate policy. Just look how many CIA officers we have in this forum, I’m sure we have someone working in the BLM or EPA too.

But their either already doing whatever they can or they’re liberals eagerly killing the planet. No amount of positive or negative posting will change what they do.

So there’s nothing to be done by policing this space and demanding “no depression. no sadness. optimism only! Or else what if Biden reads this thread and decides to give up on climate”