Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just got out of NWH.

I was very surprised that they were able to pull off the kind of plot they set up, but they managed to do it.

spoilers below

I definitely did not expect them to kill off Aunt May like that. That was the only thing that caught me off guard. I wasn’t sure how well integrating the other two Parkers in would work, but it ended up working out. I did kind of expect the OG Peter to die when he got stabbed by Norman though. You could see that coming, but I thought it was going to actually kill him and not just be the kind of thing you shrug off.

It did seem like the goal of this movie was to disconnect Peter from the Stark/Avengers stuff more. Plus they cleared the deck for whatever they end up doing in a fourth film, other than that tease of the symbiote. Which to me indicates maybe some version of the black suit arc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I thought was goofy was how in a scene where all three were lined up Tobey and Tom were the same height while Andrew towered over both.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Y'know what would've really made the mid-credits stinger sing?

Jake Johnson as Peter B Parker hanging out and doing shots with Venom

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lobok posted:

About the second thing, I don't get why he was there...?

I thought only people who knew Spider-Man was Peter Parker were brought into the MCU world because of the spell.

This confuses me especially about Electro.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

This confuses me especially about Electro.
I don't really think they thought that whole plot point through.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think it’s best to go with those universes are similar too but not exactly the ones from the old movies. Probably the same things they’ll do with the Netflix stuff. Keeps it simpler and answers stuff like that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It could be, but they spent awhile having the villains who knew each other from earlier films talking about the events of those films and that seems very intentional.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

After thinking about it, it's honestly incredibly weird that the movie's biggest moment of emotional catharsis is inextricably tied to having seen Amazing Spider-Man 2, the worst movie in the history of this character, and will completely fall flat for anyone who hasn't done that. That's not a complaint, it worked like gangbusters for me and my audience, it's just a weird thing to think about.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There's a big emotional moment during Endgame tied to Thor: The Dark World of all things, so it's not exactly unprecedented

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Arist posted:

After thinking about it, it's honestly incredibly weird that the movie's biggest moment of emotional catharsis is inextricably tied to having seen Amazing Spider-Man 2, the worst movie in the history of this character, and will completely fall flat for anyone who hasn't done that. That's not a complaint, it worked like gangbusters for me and my audience, it's just a weird thing to think about.

I hadn't seen either Garfield movie (or either of the prior Holland ones) and the MJ catch held up for me, I guess because I put together that the death of 'his MJ' was presumably a Gwen drop. the weirdest thing for me was that they jumped through a lot of hoops to do a Spider-Verse without having a Miles or Ghost Spider show up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Retro Futurist posted:

I think it’s best to go with those universes are similar too but not exactly the ones from the old movies. Probably the same things they’ll do with the Netflix stuff. Keeps it simpler and answers stuff like that

I guess we can tell that the universes aren't exactly the same because if the Dr. Octopus we knew actually was 'ported in, he'd have been shirtless and soaking wet and wearing a different hairstyle :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Saw NWH earlier today. Some thoughts:

They did a fantastic job making all of the villains seem terrifying in a way I don't think the their original movies quite pulled off. Doc Oc pulling cars through the bridge was genuinely scary.

Defoe was fantastic, but we already knew that. Also he does a loving SICK spinebuster on Spider-Man.

I'm glad Garfield got a lot of play. He's a way better actor than the ASM movies let him be. Him saving MJ was a great moment.

Maguire was good too, and I enjoy his chill. I also enjoyed Garfield and Holland questioning him about the organic webshooters.

I loved the fight with Dr. Strange! Lots of great bits in there, but that's not too surprising.

I'm not sure how I feel about the ending being a big ol' reset. I can definitely understand wanting to move him to a more classic Spider-Man feel, but I generally enjoyed Spider-Man feeling like part of the high-tech MCU.

No Miles. 0/10 do not recommend!!!!!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Saw NWH earlier today. Some thoughts:

They did a fantastic job making all of the villains seem terrifying in a way I don't think the their original movies quite pulled off. Doc Oc pulling cars through the bridge was genuinely scary.

Defoe was fantastic, but we already knew that. Also he does a loving SICK spinebuster on Spider-Man.

I'm glad Garfield got a lot of play. He's a way better actor than the ASM movies let him be. Him saving MJ was a great moment.

Maguire was good too, and I enjoy his chill. I also enjoyed Garfield and Holland questioning him about the organic webshooters.

I loved the fight with Dr. Strange! Lots of great bits in there, but that's not too surprising.

I'm not sure how I feel about the ending being a big ol' reset. I can definitely understand wanting to move him to a more classic Spider-Man feel, but I generally enjoyed Spider-Man feeling like part of the high-tech MCU.

No Miles. 0/10 do not recommend!!!!!

I'm glad that they are moving him more away from the Stark stuff, because while at the time I thought that was OK in something like Homecoming, it was more of a weight in Far From Home, and it's better that they go back to separating some of the Spider-Man related stuff so he can kind of do his own thing.

I also want to shout out how much I continue to appreciate Cumberbatch as Strange. He's way too good in that role, and I never thought I would give two shits about that character but he has consistently managed to pull it off.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
One of my favorite moments was the teachers he saved from the previous movies making Pete a display case. They both owe him their lives and I wish they had more scenes. It makes me wonder how MJ could have her necklace after the spell, is that display case is still there with a guy nobody recognizes all over it.

The last time Aunt may died Spider-Man made a deal with the Devil, got her back, and just got to be single. Now his aunt may dies and his girlfriend and best friend has no memory? What kind Superman 2 gip is that?

People like to say OMIT was the worst Spider-Man story. I think one of the stupidest storylines was when he got too drunk at a wedding avoiding Mary Jane and banged his roommate…only for the writers to immediately back track and say that he was drinking non-alcoholic beer the whole time, and that they didn’t have sex, making it worse. The letters page was not happy with that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

NWH spoilers

I assume that thanks to magic, those things were replaced by whatever was in the case before that. I also have to assume that the Mysterio video where he blames Peter for his death must have ceased to exist

If I have one real complaint about the movie, it's that the initial stuff with Peter and Damage Control coming down on him doesn't really go anywhere and seemed like something that could have been cut out.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I sort of wish they'd waited a week to do the Kingpin reveal on Hawkeye. Matt showing up was still kind of a surprise but it definitely took the wind out of it a bit

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yo, NWH was great. As someone who is officially tired of the MCU since Endgame, this did everything right. Except it did have an MCU fight scene where two guys standing in place still need to get three cuts for every move.

It's nice to remember that Spider-Man is the best hero of all.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Retro Futurist posted:

I don't think I've ever heard that many people cheer for Andrew Garfield

Reading YouTube comments of the Garfield movies there's a lot of people who grew up with this being their Spider-Man. It isn't his fault the director was crap and the studio didn't know what the gently caress they were doing, and it was clear with this movie that gave him resources to shine, he can do good in this role. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of this Spidey, even if it means seeing a bit darker side. In fact I think a Garfield, older Spidey would be a good fit for an eventual Kraven's Last Hunt film

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I know it would never happen, but I would kill for a Spider-man tv series, cause I just want to see more and more of what this movie set up and a 2 hour movie isn't enough. Hell, I'd kill for another decent animated series.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FlamingLiberal posted:

NWH spoilers

I assume that thanks to magic, those things were replaced by whatever was in the case before that. I also have to assume that the Mysterio video where he blames Peter for his death must have ceased to exist

If I have one real complaint about the movie, it's that the initial stuff with Peter and Damage Control coming down on him doesn't really go anywhere and seemed like something that could have been cut out.

He was let off the hook but his identity being revealed was still affecting his friends. It seemed like the story wanted to get him out of trouble so that his desire for the mindwipe spell didn't seem selfish.

JT Smiley posted:

I know it would never happen, but I would kill for a Spider-man tv series, cause I just want to see more and more of what this movie set up and a 2 hour movie isn't enough. Hell, I'd kill for another decent animated series.

Well it won't be about where he is at the end of this movie but there is another animated series coming. It will be set before he met Stark, when he was doing the Spider-Man thing on his own in the beginning.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
lol 250 million opening in a pandemic.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1472242240726650889

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Karma Tornado posted:

I hadn't seen either Garfield movie (or either of the prior Holland ones) and the MJ catch held up for me, I guess because I put together that the death of 'his MJ' was presumably a Gwen drop. the weirdest thing for me was that they jumped through a lot of hoops to do a Spider-Verse without having a Miles or Ghost Spider show up.

There's about a 1000% chance Miles will show up in one of the alleged 3 forthcoming Holland/MCU Spidey movies, which is reason enough to keep him out of this one. Emma Stone showing up as Ghost Spider would have been a funny way to screw with Garfield-Peter, though.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

hcreight posted:

There's about a 1000% chance Miles will show up in one of the alleged 3 forthcoming Holland/MCU Spidey movies, which is reason enough to keep him out of this one. Emma Stone showing up as Ghost Spider would have been a funny way to screw with Garfield-Peter, though.

Man just have her keep calling the Lizard "Peter" the whole time too just to really gently caress with him

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Just from a business standpoint, I think keeping a character like Miles out of the movie is smarter because they already had lots of big draws with other Spider-Men and their villains, and Strange, and the implications it had for the rest of the MCU. When they want to use him in live action -- whenever that is because they seem to have a good thing going with the animated films -- it will be a card they can play to get butts in seats. Same with Venom. Or maybe they're thinking that after Holland they'll use Miles Morales as the next Spider-Man but I don't know that gels with the license agreement they have with Marvel.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/1472601081876148230?t=0y4Py4WWCd5d5Q8fkkOmAQ&s=19

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Hello yes I haven't seen NWH and I have no emotional stake in superhero films but IMO they should've ended the movie with Vindicated :colbert:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

With MJ and Ned out of the picture(for now), I wonder if they use this as a chance to introduce a MCU Gwen Stacy? Of course, if you bring her in, do you just have her be normal Gwen or go full Ghost Spider?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhonne posted:

With MJ and Ned out of the picture(for now), I wonder if they use this as a chance to introduce a MCU Gwen Stacy? Of course, if you bring her in, do you just have her be normal Gwen or go full Ghost Spider?

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Lobok posted:

lol, apparently the 2nd unit shooting scenes in New York operated under the working title Serenity Now.

Can confirm, I live right down the street from Happy's place. And Peter Pan is my vote for best donut in NYC, though Mo's Doughs, which spun off when a long-term baker didn't get the compensation he wanted, is a very close second, and taking plastic, shorter lines, and the lack of performatively rude staff means I usually go there instead.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Holy hell, apparently Dafoe insisted on doing his own stunts and fight scenes. I mean I'm sure he had a double for some of it, but as least some of those brutal rear end fights were him

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Retro Futurist posted:

Holy hell, apparently Dafoe insisted on doing his own stunts and fight scenes. I mean I'm sure he had a double for some of it, but as least some of those brutal rear end fights were him

He's big into yoga and is a remarkably physical guy, I'm sure he could manage a surprising amount of it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Rhonne posted:

Regarding the second point you will never see regular Gwen Stacy in a movie again. At this point that character is just "girlfriend who dies to make hero sad" and we've moved so far beyond that. Even if they wanted to do it (they don't) they've already done Peter being sad over people dying in front of him, twice, plus killing her off would undercut the saving of MJ by Garfield-Man as redemption for her death in that universe. Just having her as a GF civilian would still have people waiting for her to die, even without plans to kill her. Gwen Stacy is absolutely only ever returning as Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did think it was funny how in the course of "fixing" all the characters they also took the time to give Goblin something approximating his classic costume.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

bees x1000 posted:

Hello yes I haven't seen NWH and I have no emotional stake in superhero films but IMO they should've ended the movie with Vindicated :colbert:

Wrong choice of song. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etp8L9pbqeM

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

I did think it was funny how in the course of "fixing" all the characters they also took the time to give Goblin something approximating his classic costume.
Yes, when he smashes the mask in the alley I knew we were getting something akin to 'classic Goblin', which you get near the end with him wearing the hood with the green and purple.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Doc Ock and Electro also got new costumes, too bad Sandman and the Lizard didn't get anything. Not much you can do to update Sandman I guess, but it's too bad they couldn't find a giant lab coat for the Lizard.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

Regarding the second point you will never see regular Gwen Stacy in a movie again. At this point that character is just "girlfriend who dies to make hero sad" and we've moved so far beyond that. Even if they wanted to do it (they don't) they've already done Peter being sad over people dying in front of him, twice, plus killing her off would undercut the saving of MJ by Garfield-Man as redemption for her death in that universe. Just having her as a GF civilian would still have people waiting for her to die, even without plans to kill her. Gwen Stacy is absolutely only ever returning as Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider.

I think there's a sadly missed trick that doesn't fall into either: Ultimate Spider-Man's Gwen as basically Peter's platonic best friend. Or I guess, in the MCU, maybe Miles's given that Ganke feels like he's off the table due to Ned basically being a straight lift of the character to the point that I'm very confused as to why they used Ned Leeds as the name.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Next Spider-Man would be a good time to introduce Black Cat

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I think there's a sadly missed trick that doesn't fall into either: Ultimate Spider-Man's Gwen as basically Peter's platonic best friend. Or I guess, in the MCU, maybe Miles's given that Ganke feels like he's off the table due to Ned basically being a straight lift of the character to the point that I'm very confused as to why they used Ned Leeds as the name.

It's so they can make him a supervillain in the next movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Retro Futurist posted:

I'd like to think that it's in his contract that he power bombs Tom Holland. For no other reason than he really wanted to power bomb Tom Holland.