Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
This just raises more questions about the bodification process. Who was who before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

my life as a teenage boxbot

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

cause I'm just a teenage boxbot baby

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Worthleast posted:

Robots may become attracted to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ6knaienVE

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Hello again, Piter.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
It turns out Piter's favorite movie is Edward Scissorhands, not Dune.

Kind of interesting though how Piter is crazy about cutting hair, while Jerrek can barely remember anything about pipe inspection.

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 17, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well hair was his passion.

This makes me wonder about the horse-bot.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Oh poor lad. Putting his hair into a ponytail.

Welcome to humanity bud. You'll get the hang of those feelings in... A few years?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The barber is so insanely menacing. This chapter has had some grade A Gunnerkrigg faces.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I really wasn't expecting a second chapter in a row about a tertiary character being bashful about their crush

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
The sanctioned action is to Cut.

Piter is clearly Royal.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Piter I am so happy to see you again, but you are scaring me. Please dial it back.

Also possible confirmation that teen is not the only option the robots have.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Tiny Myers posted:

It's just a very good question of, "who is going to take these people into the ether". The psychopomps are implied to be based on religious beliefs or locale to some degree (it's hard to say which when they only say "jurisdiction", I interpreted it to be on religious beliefs but I actually don't know what it's based on? And Ketrak covers insects, presumably there are animal-only psychopomps and ones unique to forest creatures). So presumably a robot would need its own thing.

Well if you want to read too much into this page from the Realm of the Dead chapter, Kat was able to open a door that's restricted to afterlife guides only, sooooo.... :tinfoil:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Well if you want to read too much into this page from the Realm of the Dead chapter, Kat was able to open a door that's restricted to afterlife guides only, sooooo.... :tinfoil:

Not sure her being able to open a door means anything...

But the verification bat accepting her credentials probably does https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1306

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
could also read it as Annie is the afterlife guide, so their group is allowed in. Kat just sees it as a boring door and a guy in a suit instead of the mystical afterlife

though it does kinda look like Kat is running around doing all this stuff and Annie is like, "wtf, how?"

it'd be really fun to see that whole section from Annie's perspective instead of just the last page

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
okay yeah, on this page Ankou is pulling Annie away for some "official guide business," so it isnt Kat

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Fecha posted:

I really wasn't expecting a second chapter in a row about a tertiary character being bashful about their crush

This is largely the only type of heterosexual romance we see written in this comic. A passive boy and an assertive girl. I think Kat's parents are the only exception that comes to mind, but neither of them really have an assertive personality. Even some of the non-romantic relationships are this way and it's one of those things that once I noticed it, I realized it's everywhere in the comic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

Not sure her being able to open a door means anything...

But the verification bat accepting her credentials probably does https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1306

Eh, the doorman was able to recognise Annie as an afterlife guide. Kat I think was "something I don't know but the verification bat confirmed it was in our area enough to be allowed in"

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 18, 2021

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah that's what I meant. I dunno what Kat is but she's "something"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. I dunno what Kat is but she's "something"

Now you're thinking from a parent's perspective

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Potsticker posted:

This is largely the only type of heterosexual romance we see written in this comic. A passive boy and an assertive girl. I think Kat's parents are the only exception that comes to mind, but neither of them really have an assertive personality. Even some of the non-romantic relationships are this way and it's one of those things that once I noticed it, I realized it's everywhere in the comic.

I agree there's a pattern, but doesn't "Shell and Aata" avoid it? Aata's all professionalism and then all defiance, so Shell's trying to act like she doesn't have a crush.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDTOz6vsZNs

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Honestly I'm still kinda sore about the fact that jones was exclusively portrayed in hetero relationships

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

A big flaming stink posted:

Honestly I'm still kinda sore about the fact that jones was exclusively portrayed in hetero relationships

Well I mean technically she is just old fashioned

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ditocoaf posted:

I agree there's a pattern, but doesn't "Shell and Aata" avoid it? Aata's all professionalism and then all defiance, so Shell's trying to act like she doesn't have a crush.

Yeah, also Vegeta and the Headmaster's Daughter? Winsbury and--Janice?. They seem very similar in temperment.

On the other hand you have off the top of my head:

Reynard and Surma
Surma and Tony
Brunhildr and Tony
Jimmy Jims and Surma
Jimmy Jims and Forest Elf Refugee
Kat and Alistar
Parley and Smitty
Pipe Robot and Tracksuit Robot
That Boy Student and The Moon Rabbit
The Nice Shadow Man woman and Her Robot Boyfriend

(apologies for forgetting some of the names)

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

pik_d posted:

Well I mean technically she is just old fashioned

them kids and their drat mitosis :cloud:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

He attributes the bad pacing of the chapter to the pandemic, which is understandable. I still think merging the two Annies was a bad idea though.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Potsticker posted:

Yeah, also Vegeta and the Headmaster's Daughter? Winsbury and--Janice?. They seem very similar in temperment.

On the other hand you have off the top of my head:

Jack and not-Zimmy

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

When I read that comic, I did not get that these elven kids were just minding their own business.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

cant cook creole bream posted:

When I read that comic, I did not get that these elven kids were just minding their own business.
Me either. And yes, the problem with merging the two Annies is not a pacing issue.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I think it's a bad sign when the author's read on a chapter is so wildly divorced from the reader's, especially in terms of character development.

From his description it appears that this plot point was indeed played completely straight as a resolution, rather than the horrifying outcome that it actually was.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, I gotta say, that and the following one may be a low point of the story. It'll be interesting what the authors intention for that one will be.
I miss the Carver sisters and I think they deserve a proper funeral. Annie has been kinda dull, since she doesn't get to externalize her inner monologues anymore.

On a more current note. I hope they do cut his hair. Going into a barbers shop sitting on the chair and then going "Oh, on second thought, I'll just tie it back, kaythanksbye!" is a bit rude.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 19, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cut. Hair.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

cant cook creole bream posted:

On a more current note. I hope they do cut his hair. Going into a barbers shop sitting on the chair and then going "Oh, on second thought, I'll just tie it back, kaythanksbye!" is a bit rude.
Look at Piter. You leave this place with a perfect haircut or not at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ditocoaf posted:

That still fits the pattern imo because the pattern is more than active/passive in a general sense it’s about active and passive in an emotional context. Gunnerkrigg Court is full of emotionally inert men bumbling into a relationship because a woman does literally every bit of emotional labor necessary to force a relationship into existence. Aata and Shell looks to be going the same direction if anything!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Splicer posted:

Me either. And yes, the problem with merging the two Annies is not a pacing issue.

Yeah, personally my issue was the events that transpired, not how they transpired. It just feels a bit to me like the two Annies ended up being obligatory- hit only the points necessary or written to progress the 'main' Annie's characterization, and then return her in full. From Tom's explanation, the two-Annies situation wrapped up in her mind with a wholly self-centered conclusion, and that's just not satisfying to me. The chapter shouldn't have been restructured, the other Annie should have stuck around longer.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

It just feels like the two Annies plot point is leading to "and now you can have a child for free without it murdering you!" which feels kind of unearned when the profound trauma of Surma's death on so many people in the comic is such a looming spectre. Like it feels like that's the entire reason it happened, so she could pull out that extra flame later.

Which, I don't want Annie to die, and I think her having two flames is a cool way to resolve it, but it would feel unsatisfying because the entire anniemerge was unsatisfying. It was effectively killing a character we liked offscreen. Now you see them now you don't. That chapter was so confusing to me that I actually did not realize what had happened until I went and read people talking about it.

Like, it would've been cool if they had to gripe with the issue of both of them having individual sentience and personhood and having to pick one to "sacrifice" by merging into the other, as was foreshadowed previously by someone asking which one would be merged, and that sacrifice ultimately being what results in her being able to have a child without issue. One life for another. Instead Zimmy waggles her fingers and now they're merged with no contemplation on that serious moral quandary and eventually Annie is gonna be like "wow I'm not dying from having a child cool (AUTHOR'S NOTE: SEE CHAPTER 79, TRUE BELIEVERS)"

("Why do you think Annie's going to have a child?" Coyote said v :v: v)

Also, not looking forward to the retrospective on The Mind Cage.

To add positive content to the thread I think the new robot is cute. I was discontent with the hyperfocus on Shell but I find this chapter actually interesting because it's giving us new information (how human2 robots function and deal with human emotions, and how the human2 society looks and is structured). Also I like Jerrek's design. :shobon:

I actually wonder if the old Court is going to end up being a city for the human2 robots to live in, since it's being conveniently abandoned and all. Dunno how they'll deal with Loup, but it seems fitting the city they were forced to protect by an override in their brains that put them in mortal danger is now theirs to keep.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Has he considered having his hair go up? I hear all the girls love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Question: What has the Court's reaction been to Kat's status as a robot goddess who's been moving all the robots into human bodies?

Answer: They literally only just now noticed.