Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

I will say (level 87-90 EW spoilers) I was actually slightly disappointed we didn't get to meet Azem in the storyline (not sure if she shows up in a sidequest or anything, I haven't gone back to do any yet). It would be kind of awkward I guess but I trust they could have pulled it off reasonably well.

Well (87+ MSQ spoilers) you meet an Azem, just not your prior incarnation :v:

Generally though I think it’s best that they leave the player’s past life up to the player’s imagination. It might have worked to show Azem but I think it’s a better move to just say some funny things about them and leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Yeah having a drk at 90 and a pld at 87, I've had a blast playing drk and im still waiting to see what makes pld so incredible. Holy sheltron still feels anemic and it feels *awful* when i have to disengage for a gcd or two, so maybe the extended confiteor combo really makes the difference.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Hellioning posted:

DRK is either top damage dealing tank or second most after Gunbreaker.

As a part-time healer I have noticed I need to heal DRK more then another tank but it could just be me getting bad DRKs.

DRK has to mash The Blackest Night and play that game of chicken, which encourages them to not use their tank cooldowns until after it pops.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Oxyclean posted:

e: Minor gripe, but I decided to work on my ARR Sightseeing log after finding a website that just tells you exactly when they'll be available... only now i'm roadblocked by #9 cause the weather in Gridania is snow for the event...

Hah, that's extremely mean.

Anyhow, if you're willing to do Cool Crimes then there's a dalamud plugin called "Tourist" which gives you in-game timers for all the ARR sightseeing log locations. It also puts glowy orbs in the world for them, same ones as are there for the sightseeing log in the expansions. It is very handy, because gently caress the ARR sightseeing log.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I haven't tried any of them since EW, but several of the HW Ex's were difficult to impossible to solo at 80.

Limitless Blue: Need to have enough damage/burst to kill the adds.
Z1T9: I couldn't survive a killer kombo late in the fight but maybe I could by timing an invulv.
S1T7: I couldn't survive the first Chesed.
Nidhogg: Took me half an hour and a 25% echo to kill at 80.

All of those were doable by specific jobs at 80, and aren't too bad for most at 90. Z1T9 is doable, but does indeed require an invulnerability.

I did a few attempts at A4S, A8S and A12S on Sage. A4S (nope, not that one, I'm dumb) and A12S were fairly easy, although A12S took a couple attempts. A8S needs more DPS than a level 90 Sage can do, or at least more than my level 90 Sage can do. A DPS with good healing or a bursty tank might do better, and definitely will be able to later in the expansion if they can't now. The big sticking point is that you need the DPS to kill before the Gavel cast completes in the final phase. BLU can in fact do A8S solo at 70, with some luck, some skill and some very good Diamondback timing.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 19, 2021

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pwnstar posted:

Beastmaster questline where the trainer is just straight up Steve Irwin, leaping onto the backs of Behemoths and Dragons just for the fun of it.

thats just Lyon. and yes he should be the job trainer.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Countblanc posted:

thats just Lyon. and yes he should be the job trainer.

Every time we did Dalriada and Lyon showed up my friend could not resist giving Lyon the voice of a bloke popping over to IGA in his thongs.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

I did a few attempts at A4S, A8S and A12S on Sage. A4S and A12S were fairly easy, although A12S took a couple attempts. A8S needs more DPS than a level 90 Sage can do, or at least more than my level 90 Sage can do. A DPS with good healing or a bursty tank might do better, and definitely will be able to later in the expansion if they can't now. The big sticking point is that you need the DPS to kill before the Gavel cast completes in the final phase. BLU can in fact do A8S solo at 70, with some luck, some skill and some very good Diamondback timing.

could you really do A4S? i had to bring in a friend to clear it for some drops i wanted because judgement nisi was putting both stacks on me and instakilling me

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Begemot posted:

We can cure tempering now, clearly we just need to make a planetary-scale porxie and figure out how to transport it to another dimension.

Shadowbringers role quest capstones isn't far off from this. :v:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for 83 line rotation mechanic? The quadrant rotation is simple enough for me but that other one just slides over my brain lol

What I do is point the camera to face the snakes so that the lines are columns, with safe zones either columns 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. Then I turn the camera 90 degrees in the direction of the arrows, and imagine the same pattern as before, and go to a safe zone in my imagined pattern.

e: oops didn't notice I had an old browswer window sitting around

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Venuz Patrol posted:

could you really do A4S? i had to bring in a friend to clear it for some drops i wanted because judgement nisi was putting both stacks on me and instakilling me

Hrm. Looks like you're right and I have the memory of a goldfish. I must've noped out and promptly forgot about it, since I'm still at 1/5 kills for Sins of the Savage Father II. There was nothing I needed there, unlike the other two.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I've been watching my wife go through the story and it's been interesting seeing some of the stuff in the 80-83 content a second time. (General Endwalker spoilers) After the 83 trial, when Zodiark/Amon-Fandaniel die, Amon says something along the lines of "The me I was would hate the me I became" or something like that. Which has a different vibe after playing through the later zones. There are quite a few moments like that.

I've had some thoughts on some of this stuff and I realized a solution to some of the issues people have with EW (more general spoilers) Many have said that Dynamis should have been seeded earlier. And I agree I wish it was. I don't necessarily even think you have to do it as far back as even the Shadowbringers 5.0 MSQ. Some people say that Endwalker feels like "two expansions in one" aka the Stormblood problem. I think one thing that could have alleviated that more would be to seed more of that in patch 5.4/5.5. People were already complaining that 5.4/5.5 were a bit lean on the story and expansion ramp-up. One hook they could have done would be to have the lady scientist elephant come over to Eorzea when she hears about our tempering cure, she drops some general Thavnair lore, talks about the Akasa, then fucks off and basically says "If you're ever in Thavnair, come check on how my research is going." I think this would do a lot of work to smooth out that lore ramp. If anything, Endwalker is made weaker due to 5.4/5.5 not doing enough. Just some random stoned thoughts.

Akasa/dynamis made perfect sense to me as soon as it was brought up. you know why? because think of the 2 things you need to summon a primal: 1) a bucket of aether crystals and 2) raw emotion. emotion and prayer have always had an inexplicable power in FFXIV and now there's something to finally explain it a bit. i think it works really well.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Xalidur posted:

Level 87 Stuff, Early: I can't decide if this zone is the best thing they've ever put in the game, or a little *too* indulgent. Either way I'm very excited for my Emet fangirl wife to get here so that I can hear her squeal with delight.

As for me, Meteion is extremely cute and I'm extremely confident something terrible is going to happen to her. :<

As soon as Hermes described why he created Metion, by first thought was "OH NO! :catstare:"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

Akasa/dynamis made perfect sense to me as soon as it was brought up. you know why? because think of the 2 things you need to summon a primal: 1) a bucket of aether crystals and 2) raw emotion. emotion and prayer have always had an inexplicable power in FFXIV and now there's something to finally explain it a bit. i think it works really well.

Not just that but countless quests throughout the game. XIV has a lot of moments where courage, hot-blooded anger, rage or other strong emotions grant you power above and beyond what you 'should' have. Characters comment on it and everything. It's Anime Friendship Powerup but dynamis just codifies it as an actual thing in the setting rather than something we accept because anime.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Xerophyte posted:

All of those were doable by specific jobs at 80, and aren't too bad for most at 90. Z1T9 is doable, but does indeed require an invulnerability.

derra posted:

Limitless blue and nidhogg were both soloable at 80 without echo. Blue (and Ravana) were easier on dps, and nidhogg I did on WAR just fine. You ignored the tether mech and just did mechanics of the final phase normally.
Did some tests of HW extremes with WAR & RDM at 90. All of them are now trivial for either except Sephirot, he will still one-shot non-tanks with Chesen but tanks don't even need to pop invul to survive it. WAR & RDM both do enough damage to just kill Zurvan before he gets to any of his dangerous abilities.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

As soon as Hermes described why he created Metion, by first thought was "OH NO! :catstare:"

100% this. And now I'm a little further in and they're really pushing to give someone with obvious mental health issues major responsibilities. Oops. I wonder if these things could be related~

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Kerrzhe posted:

I wonder how many people did the Dancer job quests in Shadowbringers and were just :stare: throughout the entire latter half of this launch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Dark Knights have always been powered by love.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Steelion posted:

Yeah having a drk at 90 and a pld at 87, I've had a blast playing drk and im still waiting to see what makes pld so incredible. Holy sheltron still feels anemic and it feels *awful* when i have to disengage for a gcd or two, so maybe the extended confiteor combo really makes the difference.

IMO it does. Presuming you start with 4 Holy Spirits, it's 8 GCDs at range (and the first 4 have self-heals)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love Holy Shelltron. With the reduced numbers its heals actually feel really good even if they don't have the impact of Darkest Night

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Steelion posted:

Holy Sheltron feels nearly as good as TBN to me now.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Holy Sheltron (and Bloodwhetting and arguably Heart of Corundum) is definitely better than TBN now. On top of mitigating/healing more damage under most circumstances they don't cost a resource and are far less punishing if you mistime them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gearhead posted:

I wonder how many people did the Dancer job quests in Shadowbringers and were just :stare: throughout the entire latter half of this launch.

LMAO I didn't even think of that. I should have leveled dancer to 90 and done the MSQ on that instead of switching out for machinist. :allears:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Holy Sheltron's sfx are amazing and really do make it feel like you're slapping down a meter of steel between you and your foe.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Professor Beetus posted:

LMAO I didn't even think of that. I should have leveled dancer to 90 and done the MSQ on that instead of switching out for machinist. :allears:

I swapped from MCH to the other during late ShB and liked to rotation so much that I just stayed with it as my main.

The MSQ has me jumping at SHADOWS right now regarding that Job.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

LP Updates, hot and ready. Now in delicious ninja flavor.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SirPhoebos posted:

To me, (87 MSQ) the big "oh no" moment was when he casually mentioned her sisters, who he had already sent out into the universe. Like, dude, your job is literally to be in charge of the concept testing facility, you should know better than to skip the entire peer review process!!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Begemot posted:

To me, (87 MSQ) the big "oh no" moment was when he casually mentioned her sisters, who he had already sent out into the universe. Like, dude, your job is literally to be in charge of the concept testing facility, you should know better than to skip the entire peer review process!!

He's not releasing them on the star so they won't disrupt the ecosystem. What could possibly go wrong?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Nessus posted:

I also would not be surprised if we do not go there for that very reason though. :v: Meracydia seems to have been more foreshadowed anyway, and while it's sort of "Africa/Australia" based purely on location I believe the established inhabitants were Sephirot's summoners and dragons, neither of whom map much to RL cultures.

Mercydia is also apparently the ancestral homeland of the Mi'qote, which makes everything about G'raha hilariously ironic in retrospect.

If we do go there I hope its like Fist of the North Star but instead of Ken we get a doe-eyed catgirl who can punch people to death before they even realize they're dead.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Begemot posted:

Samesies.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Just had a LDR where I was tanking with my WAR and at the end the healer said 'BTW you do heal a bit excessively. It's mindful of you, but you could have gone a bit lighter on that :D'.

So in summary, WAR rocks.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
doing FATES as a warrior, just gathering 30 peeps to beat on me, then hitting bloodwhetting when I get low on health is incredible

I have a friend who mains Gunbreaker and I think the reflected glory of Nascent Flash has compelled them to start leveling a warrior

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Discussing the 87 spoilers above, I really was floored that the universe was apparently just that bleak. Like fuuuuuck, everywhere else in the galaxy/universe just dead except for Etheryis? jfc

also lmao that he sent her out with that question rather than perhaps something more reasonable like "is there other life in the universe?" I think the original inhabitants of Etheryis were just kinda dumbasses tbh.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Mercydia is also apparently the ancestral homeland of the Mi'qote, which makes everything about G'raha hilariously ironic in retrospect.

If we do go there I hope its like Fist of the North Star but instead of Ken we get a doe-eyed catgirl who can punch people to death before they even realize they're dead.

I mean this is the very expansion where he reveals his ancestors were slaves at the time of the empire.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Discussing the 87 spoilers above, I really was floored that the universe was apparently just that bleak. Like fuuuuuck, everywhere else in the galaxy/universe just dead except for Etheryis? jfc

also lmao that he sent her out with that question rather than perhaps something more reasonable like "is there other life in the universe?" I think the original inhabitants of Etheryis were just kinda dumbasses tbh.

Well Emet Selch laid out nicely: Herems asked the wrong question.
Spoilers for finished MSQ: But it kind of seems like Meteion sort of made things worse, both in her asking the question persistently to some she encountered, but also because of her dynamis basically creating a feedback loop. As she started to despair, she started to bring those she encountered down as well. It's possible stuff is goin well in other parts, Meteion just didn't see it before she started to spiral. Although, Midgarsomar seems to also think there's very little out there of hope, but he was fleeing the Omicrons.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

cheetah7071 posted:

The limited job I want to see is Azem. Mechanic is summoning shades of NPCs you've met over the course of the game using the Azem job crystal, gathered and compiled similar to how blue mage works

Biggest problem is, of course, that it's a minor spoiler to even say the idea

Mascot, a limited class where you wear ridiculous outfits to gain access to two different classes abilities, for example, a Tonberry outfit gives you Samurai and Black Mage.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mikemil828 posted:

Mascot, a limited class where you wear ridiculous outfits to gain access to two different classes abilities, for example, a Tonberry outfit gives you Samurai and Black Mage.

Tonberry should clearly unlock Scholar (and Marine).

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

cheetah7071 posted:

Every tank except dry got a broken-feeling button

Poor drk

Its okay DRK got the best mitigation this expansion big dick dps

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Professor Beetus posted:

It's not clear if the universe is empty or just the areas Meteion observed. A sample size of 108 worlds is still pretty small.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I just hit the first credits on Stormblood!

There were some good surprises at the end, but I still feel a bit unsatisfied. I'll hold off judgement on the expansion for now, as I felt similarly at the end of .0 of Heavensward and I really loved how that resolved. Looking forward to starting the post-launch MSQ tomorrow. One thing I will say though is that a lot of cutscenes in this expansion were not made with a bow wielder in mind.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

One thing I will say though is that a lot of cutscenes in this expansion were not made with a bow wielder in mind.
I'll have you know that bringing a big spinning metal sphere with spiky bits and cards floating around it to a fist fight is, in fact, good and proper in XIV.