Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

potatocubed posted:

I ran a bit of GMD once upon a time, but I didn't really get what pastoral roleplaying is supposed to be about. When things worked out, it absolutely sang, but mostly it felt like I was struggling with the system a lot.

I keep feeling like PbP is actually a better way to do pastoral stuff because if it comes to it you can just do a post where you narrate your character doing something slice-of-lifey and you're all set.

I'm relatively comfortable with pastoral roleplaying, but I suspect it's because most of my early roleplay experience was the online chat-room "here's a bar/city/haunted hotel underneath the earth/other oddly enclosed but mostly mundane location, bring in some weird dudes and just have them interact, no particular plot/only emergent plot from the consequences of PCs' actions" format. GMD really rings that nostalgia bell for me, but has the added bonus of all the PC options actually being the kind of ridiculous, overpowered, delightful lunacy that I wasn't playing as a teen because I was too self-conscious and trying too hard to be "good." Really, I should probably just run/play it with the same people I used to game with on IRC, but a lot of them are uncomfortable with mechanical systems and I'm not sure if even Chuubo's is too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Just finished a Weapons of the Gods campaign

Games I want to run:
Mutant Chronicles 3e
Tales of Gargentihr
John Carter
Qin
Cyberpunk RED
Twilight 2K (new edition)
Vaesen
Blue Planet again
And just because I kind of miss them; one of the old FGU games like Daredevils, Psi World, Flashing Blades, or even Space Opera or Aftermath

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Games I want a part of:

World Wide Wrestling
Beam Saber
Carnage Amongst the Stars
Mutant Crawl Classics
Our Stormy Present
Ars Magica
Warhammer Fantasy

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

This year I ran (in order):
A forged in the dark vampire hack
Breakfast Cult for a charity stream event
PF2e
Hard Wired Island
Heart

Vibing with Heart, will probably stay on that a while.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Zeerust posted:

Whenever I finally finish running my Godbound game, I'm really jonesing to offer to run Mutant Chronicles for my group, the 2d20 implementation seems interesting.

Other than that, my to-run list includes Pathfinder 2e, Tenra Bansho Zero, and one of the Fragged games (I have Fragged Empire from a bundle, but IIRC there's more recent / polished iterations of the same engine?).

The Full Sicko Mode answer would be having a complete enough version of my own game to run, but work-related burnout cascading into severe executive dysfunction and brain fog has kind of put that on the backburner for now...

The other Fragged games are very slightly refined compared to base Empire, but aren't really radically different. Think like the difference between PHB1 and later D&D classes, versus a whole new edition. Though ostensibly FE2's coming at some point here.

TBZ really hits a sweet spot between crunch and flowing narrative for me, and I highly recommend running a game.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
RPGs I really want to run:

Blades in the Dark (would love to get my real life group to switch to this, if we ever go back to work)
Dungeons & Dragons 5e (when I find a VTT I like)
13th Age
Nobilis (again)

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
My to-run list is actually relatively short right now, since I've got an OSE campaign in the works with actual dates on the calendar and most of my attention has been pointed in that direction, but I really want to run Liminal Horror (hack of Cairn, itself a hack of Into the Odd, meant for modern-day horror) and run? play? Thousand-Year-Old Vampire.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Currently playing Changeling and prepping a DND5e game.

Stuff I wanna play/run:
VtM
Over the Edge
Unknown Armies
Call of Cthulhu
Masks
World Wide Wrestling RPG
Vaesen
Legend of the Wulin
A 5e game that is fun and straightforward and fun and lasting with good decent people

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Games I want to run:

Spellpunk Cyberfight

Games I need to run:

Spellpunk Cyberfight

Games my players are harassing me to run:

Spellpunk Cyberfight

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Just finished a Weapons of the Gods campaign

Games I want to run:
Mutant Chronicles 3e
Tales of Gargentihr
John Carter
Qin
Cyberpunk RED
Twilight 2K (new edition)
Vaesen
Blue Planet again
And just because I kind of miss them; one of the old FGU games like Daredevils, Psi World, Flashing Blades, or even Space Opera or Aftermath
How'd that Weapons of the God's game go?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

For me games I want to run or participate in:

Vaesen
Coriolis
Soulbound
WFRP 4e
Lex Arcana
Somethig from CofD
Band of Blades
Heart: The City Beneath
D&D 4ed

What my players want
City of Mist
Call of Chtulhu
Dark Heresy

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 20, 2021

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LaSquida posted:

How'd that Weapons of the God's game go?

Great. Once you get into the rhythm, combat is a breeze. The players loved that the Lore sheets tied them into the background of the world and really started getting into the Chinese Drama vibe. It ended in a spectacular battle with the party leader winning the final faceoff but still dying gloriously and tragically just like the player wanted to.

edit: I would also like to play or run, Lex Arcana, Broken Compass, and the new Aliens RPG

and of course...

Spellpunk Cyberfight

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 20, 2021

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Man, you're making me want to get WotG for some wuxia. I already need to get people to Hearts of Wulin!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I would absolutely love to run or play tons of games, especially Legends of the Wulin or Mage the Awakening. I kind of thought I'd be able to get back to gaming shortly after moving but lol. My office is still just a jumble of computer poo poo on a desk and boxes of books next to empty bookshelves.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I wish listed but to be honest, but I'm so starved for gaming that I would probably join/run almost anything people would bring up. My last campaign fizzled out after 10 games due to scheduling issues

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
S o many good games already listed.

I'm probably going to be playing 13th Age for another year or three, but when my other group materializes I'd love to get some Fria Ligan to the table, or Lancer. One day I want to play Masks, but I don't have the right group for teenage angst. But that's the dream.

PurpleXVI posted:

Spellpunk Cyberfight

What the hell...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My run/play list has a strong cyberpunk element to it:

Hard-Wired Island
Cyberpunk RED
Fading Suns
Savage RIFTS
Sprawlrunners (Savage Worlds Shadowrun)
Something CWoD maybe?
Tenran Bansho Zero
Fight!
Lancer (provided I have some very kind people to walk me through it)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I also would very much enjoy a good wuxia game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Covermeinsunshine posted:

I wish listed but to be honest, but I'm so starved for gaming that I would probably join/run almost anything people would bring up. My last campaign fizzled out after 10 games due to scheduling issues

my current campaign reached SEVENTEEN SESSIONS last night and i am not jinxing it but wow that is extremely cool to my adhd brain

and it's had a rotating cast of players during the pandemic and a bunch of life changes, i am really glad it has kept going

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

CitizenKeen posted:

What the hell...
If you're not reading F&F you're missing out on a gem.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I can't keep up with F&F, so I binge it every other month or so. Time to jump back in.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Arivia posted:

my current campaign reached SEVENTEEN SESSIONS last night and i am not jinxing it but wow that is extremely cool to my adhd brain

and it's had a rotating cast of players during the pandemic and a bunch of life changes, i am really glad it has kept going

Sounds great - fingers crossed.

My longest campaign (tho this one was easy as it was only 2 players and me as a ST) was Vampire the Requiem that run for roughly 40 sessions + 10 games of the "sequel"

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Games that I want to try running/playing:

Flying Circus
Hard Wired Island
Spirit of '77
Spire
Transit
Scum and Villainy
Monster Care Squad
Spellpunk Cyberfight, where I would rule table like Amberline Emperor

... and about twenty other things, if I could pull my group away from our long-running D&D campaign for just one second.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Leraika posted:

my to play/run list:

ryuutama
icon
I unironically want to play or run spellpunk cyberfight
something final fantasy, I need to scratch that anime fight itch

I still do wonder what a Final Fantasy RPG could be like. Especially ironic since it was based partly on D&D in the first place, but the series classes and gameplay certainly has grown into its own distinct identity.

I'd say you could still probably get away with a D&D-like core, and translate a hell of a lot of the signature mechanics and jobs, but would possibly have some focus on combination moves... and I wonder what might be a more sensible and fun way to incorporate summons into a game.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Okay, I have to ask now, what the gently caress is Spellpunk Cyberfight?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The madness begins here

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I've only run D&D 5e this year and even my plans for Honey Heist have fallen apart

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The top 3 things holding me back from running a game of Promethean:

1. me actually committing to running and finishing something
2. pandemic
3. lol imagine actually finding people who would want to play the depression simulator rpg, just "hey everybody let's get together and play a game that's gonna make us all REAL FUCKIN SAD"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

A game where 'blood mage' means 'your appendix has mystically begun to do what it was meant to do: filter out magic from the bloodstream, making you a powerful sorcerer'.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It's basically if Seanbaby wrote a D&D heartbreaker

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Wow, that takes me back.

To defeat the boss of this dungeon, you have to exercise with paper plates while sitting down and watching Alyssa Milano's Teen Steam.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Night10194 posted:

A game where 'blood mage' means 'your appendix has mystically begun to do what it was meant to do: filter out magic from the bloodstream, making you a powerful sorcerer'.

I'm running a modern-day D&D campaign sporadically for my main group and oh man they'd be so mad at me if I pulled out a midichlorian reveal like that

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Unironically the best, most positive, funniest and most inclusive RPG I've read in the last several years, despite being based on 5E D&D rules. I'm currently reviewing it in the F&F thread, I'm only four posts in or so and there's still roughly half the book to go, though I'm not sure how dense the back half is now that we already know what bizza, humans and spacecasters are.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still do wonder what a Final Fantasy RPG could be like. Especially ironic since it was based partly on D&D in the first place, but the series classes and gameplay certainly has grown into its own distinct identity.

I'd say you could still probably get away with a D&D-like core, and translate a hell of a lot of the signature mechanics and jobs, but would possibly have some focus on combination moves... and I wonder what might be a more sensible and fun way to incorporate summons into a game.

For me it has to be something that feels like a final fantasy game, which is... nebulous but to me it's about forging friendships, travel, cool monster fights, grand destinies, and so forth. All of the specific trappings can be reluffed onto any system (my Cure Light Wounds is actually me summoning Sylph, who is a spirit of healing, etc), but the particular feel needs to be there. Fellowship seems like it'd be a good choice, but pbta systems aren't my favorite for game concepts that would involve a lot of fighting. I could see Tenra Bansho Zero and in fact I believe one of the translators/editors was working on suggestions for that? but it'd need a lot of refluffing, which is okay. Ryuutama could work, but it's a little combat-light. There's a lot that comes close, but nothing that scratches that particular mental itch.

I basically constantly wish FFd6 was good or FFd20 didn't take the very worst practices from 3.x DND homebrewing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Leraika posted:

For me it has to be something that feels like a final fantasy game, which is... nebulous but to me it's about forging friendships, travel, cool monster fights, grand destinies, and so forth.

Have you considered our lord and savior Spellpunk Cyberfight? It even has crystals everywhere.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

Have you considered our lord and savior Spellpunk Cyberfight? It even has crystals everywhere.

It's on the list of games I want to play/run on its own merits, I assure you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leraika posted:

For me it has to be something that feels like a final fantasy game, which is... nebulous but to me it's about forging friendships, travel, cool monster fights, grand destinies, and so forth. All of the specific trappings can be reluffed onto any system (my Cure Light Wounds is actually me summoning Sylph, who is a spirit of healing, etc), but the particular feel needs to be there. Fellowship seems like it'd be a good choice, but pbta systems aren't my favorite for game concepts that would involve a lot of fighting. I could see Tenra Bansho Zero and in fact I believe one of the translators/editors was working on suggestions for that? but it'd need a lot of refluffing, which is okay. Ryuutama could work, but it's a little combat-light. There's a lot that comes close, but nothing that scratches that particular mental itch.

I basically constantly wish FFd6 was good or FFd20 didn't take the very worst practices from 3.x DND homebrewing.

I mean back from our games and others that I played I found FFD6 to be serviceable. Incredibly full of issues but not enough to make it unplayable or the most unappealing choice.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Plutonis posted:

I mean back from our games and others that I played I found FFD6 to be serviceable. Incredibly full of issues but not enough to make it unplayable or the most unappealing choice.

It's not, no, there are certainly worse, but it's also not a system that I generally had a good time with (some of that was NUMBERS, some of it was playgroup, some of it was balance being nonexistent).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

PurpleXVI posted:

And the "human" is definitely someone's FFXIV character.