Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

LonsomeSon posted:

id like the driver to be ok too but it seems too late for that

well if someone has to die, the one negligently speeding and ramming into a clearly marked vehicle is the one that should eat it. it was also likely just a matter of time before they plowed into some bicyclists and pedestrians too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

aside from just straight up not paying attention (looking at phones and stuff) it really does seem like a lot of people keep their eyes fixed like directly in front of their cars, never scanning the road or checking mirrors. you gotta maintain situational awareness!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
a careless driver colliding with a nonsentient obstacle and never being able to drive again(due to injury) is about as close to justice as we can hope for on our roads.

me hearing about a drunk driver hitting a tree and dying: The system works!

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Xaris posted:

well if someone has to die, the one negligently speeding and ramming into a clearly marked vehicle is the one that should eat it. it was also likely just a matter of time before they plowed into some bicyclists and pedestrians too

yeah i had a lot of good schadenfreude after the dc streetcar line opened a few years back. because normally when drivers open their car doors without looking it sends a cyclist to the hospital or the morgue, but it turns out if you do that poo poo while the streetcar is passing it'll tear the door right off your car. lmao

also terrifying to think of how little attention you're paying if you don't see or hear a loving train-sized streetcar right next to you, but mostly lmao

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
hold up, I've been told drivers will naturally limit their speeds and drive more responsibly when their lives or vehicle are on the line... but it sounds like, for that to work, drivers need to have the right mindset when they get behind the wheel to both be aware of and sufficiently respectful of those risks??

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

yeah i had a lot of good schadenfreude after the dc streetcar line opened a few years back. because normally when drivers open their car doors without looking it sends a cyclist to the hospital or the morgue, but it turns out if you do that poo poo while the streetcar is passing it'll tear the door right off your car. lmao

also terrifying to think of how little attention you're paying if you don't see or hear a loving train-sized streetcar right next to you, but mostly lmao

Too bad, the streetcar itself is one of those 2000/early 2010 boondoggles that doesn't connect to almost anything.

Also, people who think the US has good infrastructure obviously haven't traveled of other parts of the world in the last 20-30 years.

------

That Paris video is heartening, but at the same time, the guy from Not Just Bikes is right in that some of it seems still pretty ad hoc and rough. Granted, I think it is going to be tough to do anything about Paris' larger boulevards. (I doubt Moscow is ever going to be a biking city...you can't really do it between October and May.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Dec 19, 2021

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

nobody thinks the us has good infrastructure, that’s why we’re having infrastructure week this week

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

cool av posted:

nobody thinks the us has good infrastructure, that’s why we’re having infrastructure week this week

I think more accurately what many Americans think is that the rest of the world is even worse off than us.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Ardennes posted:

Too bad, the streetcar itself is one of those 2000/early 2010 boondoggles that doesn't connect to almost anything.

------

We have a decent light rail line that is hampered because it does not receive priority for traffic signals, so it takes like 3x the time to get from one point to another. All they need to do is give it priority to chop a lot of that off. It drives me mad.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Nowadays, when north american cities discuss streetcars or transit, it's generally just a deal between local government and the real estate lobby to boost property values along the transit line, and they don't give a fraction of a poo poo about actually building a good transportation system for the working class

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

gently caress cars

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Cup Runneth Over posted:

gently caress cars

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Farmers are pretty much the only legitimate use case for cars.

Any other kind of employment ought to be reachable by mass transit.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

Nowadays, when north american cities discuss streetcars or transit, it's generally just a deal between local government and the real estate lobby to boost property values along the transit line, and they don't give a fraction of a poo poo about actually building a good transportation system for the working class

Yeah, for the most part, specifically streetcars. It wouldn’t even be that bad if there serious other projects but generally progress has slowed to a crawl besides a couple cities (Denver and LA).

DC has been trying to construct a metro line to Dulles for over decade at this point.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:42 on Dec 19, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ikanreed posted:

Farmers are pretty much the only legitimate use case for cars.

Any other kind of employment ought to be reachable by mass transit.

What about rally drivers?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

withak posted:

What about rally drivers?

They can walk

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
car racing can go gently caress itself hth

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Cars make sense for rural areas, even for non-farmers. That being said I lived in a tiny town in Idaho once upon a time and I was just fine on a bike.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, for the most part, specifically streetcars. It wouldn’t even be that bad if there serious other projects but generally progress has slowed to a crawl besides a couple cities (Denver and LA).

DC has been trying to construct a metro line to Dulles for over decade at this point.

It's the same in the UK outside of London. Nothing ever happens, any proposal gets stuck in a morass of cost and edge case objections. Our "green" party is against high speed rail.

https://twitter.com/thomasforth/status/1128251871506980864?t=UbkQhSK_a9MJBSYFYpsndw&s=19

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Bordeaux tram is pretty cool btw. It's got a huge historical city center, so they gave the units batteries to avoid wires along some of the route, and it rarely has to share a right of way with cars.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Ardennes posted:

a little bit of good news there, it sounds like it's being extended east to benning road metro soonish. the west expansion is still tied up with the union station redevelopment, so that could be a few more years yet. for further improvements past that we're going to need a new mayor who would be willing to eliminate the parking spaces next to the streetcar lane and then install a curb to separate it from taffic, though, because bowser will never ever do that

Ardennes posted:

good news there too, the line is done. i think it's opening q1 2022

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
cars are cool for *leaving* rural towns and areas but cities should have car ports and make you take transit or walk or whatever as soon as you arrive.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

Cars make sense for rural areas, even for non-farmers. That being said I lived in a tiny town in Idaho once upon a time and I was just fine on a bike.

Cars make sense for suburban areas too. See the problem with this logic???

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Rural areas have a functional purpose, suburbs don't?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
me to car lovers:] take a hike

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yes it's a slippery slope fallacy

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

pointsofdata posted:

It's the same in the UK outside of London. Nothing ever happens, any proposal gets stuck in a morass of cost and edge case objections. Our "green" party is against high speed rail.

https://twitter.com/thomasforth/status/1128251871506980864?t=UbkQhSK_a9MJBSYFYpsndw&s=19

Yeah, even London is pretty glacial, crossrail will eventually be done but it ended up one of the costliest projects in history. Also, yeah HS2 has been cut back considerably while ticket costs of the Tube really holds it back.

As for DC, yeah, the Silver line extension is finally done but it really shouldn’t have take nearly that long. I am still pretty lukewarm on the streetcar considering how it is set up. That said, DC does still have one of the most functional transit systems left in the US and one of the few cities you can survive without a car. NYC system is more far expansive but man it’s really a mess nowadays.

In general, continental Europe hasn’t shared the same stagnation as anglophone countries.

Rockstar Massacre posted:

cars are cool for *leaving* rural towns and areas but cities should have car ports and make you take transit or walk or whatever as soon as you arrive.

So basically like Italy where there is just a giant parking structure/lot on the edge of town and the only vehicles let in are service related. (It works btw)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:51 on Dec 19, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

"I have a vacation cabin in the country, so I need a car"

"I bought a house in the country because I can work remotely, so I need a car."

"I want to retire in the country, so I'll need a car."

"Land was cheaper outside the suburbs, so we could build a bigger house.... so we need a car."

I'm not trying to be too down on people who choose to live in rural places, but the car can subsidize unsustainable lifestyles there similar to how it does in the suburbs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Everything that isn't farmland is a blasted out strip with a scumhole bar or mcmansion lol

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

"I have a vacation cabin in the country, so I need a car"

"I bought a house in the country because I can work remotely, so I need a car."

"I want to retire in the country, so I'll need a car."

"Land was cheaper outside the suburbs, so we could build a bigger house.... so we need a car."

I'm not trying to be too down on people who choose to live in rural places, but the car can subsidize unsustainable lifestyles there similar to how it does in the suburbs.

You don't actually need a car to live in the rural, but few are willing to commit to the bit.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
https://cyclefarm.net/the-farm/bikes/

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Mayor Dave posted:

some rural areas here had rail and funicular systems for moving goods and people around. Most of this stuff got ripped out or left to rot after cars and trucks became the norm. there were also some buses and bikes, although if you lived in town you didn't necessarily need to move much because they actually had, you know, stuff in the town. Lol some of these small town history museums are getting pretty bitter about their communities being hollowed out

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rockstar Massacre posted:

by car port I assume you mean a facility equipped with a crusher

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a fun car geometry thing i noticed recently is that there is a bank close to me, they have like four drive thru lanes and together the area takes up more space than the actual bank building. plus parking!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

a fun car geometry thing i noticed recently is that there is a bank close to me, they have like four drive thru lanes and together the area takes up more space than the actual bank building. plus parking!

do you know how lucky you are to witness the peak of human civilization

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
One thing that's really gotten my goat throughout the pandemic is all the suburban drivists expressing vindication about their decision to buy an isolated McMansion in the burbs and avoid public transit. And that's to stay nothing of all the testing/vaccination sites that actively turned away folks who didn't show up in a car! So many aerial shots of the most inefficient queuing with two dozen cars in space that would have safely processed hundreds of people.

I live in an apartment in a major city, regularly take public transit, and haven't gotten Covid, partially due to luck, partially due to not being a dumbass. My vaccination site was in a stadium that efficiently processed thousands of people a day, arriving on foot or by bus, bike, and, yes, car. Meanwhile, all these car-dependent communities have gone through multiple explosive waves of Covid because they go about their lives exactly as they drive: other people are obstacles and rules and norms are there purely to inconvenience them personally.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

COVID really screwed up the buses here (they still can't staff every route), but it's just forced me to walk more, so I can't complain.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
Upstate local musician takes his girlfriend's keys so she won't DWI home from a bar on the outskirts of Syracuse.

She starts walking home instead of waiting for him to finish his set, gets hit and killed. No fault of the driver, she stumbled into the lane at 2am or whatever.

DA charging the boyfriend who took her keys away with manslaughter, naturally.

The right to drive (drunk) must not be infringed.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

someusername posted:

Upstate local musician takes his girlfriend's keys so she won't DWI home from a bar on the outskirts of Syracuse.

She starts walking home instead of waiting for him to finish his set, gets hit and killed. No fault of the driver, she stumbled into the lane at 2am or whatever.

DA charging the boyfriend who took her keys away with manslaughter, naturally.

The right to drive (drunk) must not be infringed.

Some fault of the driver. When operating a two-ton death machine at lethal velocities in the middle of the night you should exercise heightened awareness and anticipate the people around you doing something stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Some fault of the driver. When operating a two-ton death machine at lethal velocities in the middle of the night you should exercise heightened awareness and anticipate the people around you doing something stupid.

mods?