Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
It wasn’t “found something historic” it was “a historic fine” meaning they’re going to have to pay a huge sum, just a small nod to the continuation of the DOJ plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

Edit: Something that had bothered me for a bit and I finally went back to watch it was that the start of episode 9 had Gerri mention something about the DoJ. They apparently "found something historic"

She said the fine would be historic, i.e. unusually high.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Man, it took watching it for a third time to hear that. I'm such a bozo. Thanks folks.

I poked my nose into the Reddit, sorted by top rated of all time... just to see if I missed anything as good as the M&M video or the Seinfeld edit. One of the posts that caught my eye was this idea that Tom has been, throughout the series, a good person at heart trying to be a bad person because he knows being bad gets him ahead while Greg has been a bad person at heart trying to be a good person, thinking that would somehow get him ahead too. After seeing some clips from old seasons, it makes me want to re-watch the whole show with that tint of shades on because it might actually hold up.

Also liked this:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

i dunno, tom has been show to be verbally cruel to greg a lot in season 1
though i also can't remember anyone else in the show doing something like him keeping his mouth shut about greg talking to the biographer in the boar-on-the-floor episode, in the middle of getting pelted with sausages by logan no less

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

tom would use employees as furniture

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

tom would use employees as furniture

there you go, it's crazy how stuff like this gets erased from my memory when i like someone

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

But the point is that Greg is a bad person pretending to be good... and Tom's employees...

...maybe deserve it? It'd be a funnier and more entertaining twist to the series than Tom wearing a wire, at least.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

superh posted:

It wasn’t “found something historic” it was “a historic fine” meaning they’re going to have to pay a huge sum, just a small nod to the continuation of the DOJ plot.

The historic fine was also what caused their market value to drop enough that GoJo could buy them instead of the other way around, so it's not like the DOJ investigation ended up being unimportant.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 19, 2021

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Greg and I share a last name and for some reason if you watch the show with subtitles it wants to share this with you over and over and so I've decided it only means one thing. I am related to Greg so this whole finale has got me thinking maybe I have an in over there.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
drat, had never heard of the surname “Theegg” before

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Tom is only a good person if you conveniently ignore all the horrible things he says and does throughout the show. He is maybe less horrible than the rest of them, but I wouldn't even count on that. At least the Roys sort of have an excuse in that they were born into a certain life with a certain father, Tom is an outsider to that and as an adult decided that he wanted it too

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I don't think Tom is a good person but he does have a soul, and we see it more than with many of the other characters. The way he has talked to Shiv about his genuine feelings of sadness is so much more open than we have ever seen her, with him or with anyone. And then he goes and commits such cruel fuckery with Greg.

He knows he is not fundamentally special, he is no business whiz and he cannot socially manipulate people who aren't already at a disadvantage to him. He is so insecure and Greg's dependence on him makes him feel so confident and powerful.

When he acts most assimilated to the uber-wealthy Roy lifestyle, he reminds me a bit of Don Draper. He knows how this world works, he has carved out a place for himself, he believes he's entitled to it, but unlike the Roy kids, he's always going to have a place in his mind where he knows he's putting on an act, walking a tightrope. He's diverged from the natural timeline and trusting that things will hold.

Thank God we have Matthew Macfadyen to play him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

sticksy posted:

drat, had never heard of the surname “Theegg” before

Same with Wambsgam or however you spell it.

Where the gently caress is that from, anyway?

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Propaniac posted:

I don't think Tom is a good person but he does have a soul, and we see it more than with many of the other characters.

What is he gonna do with a soul anyways?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Same with Wambsgam or however you spell it.

Where the gently caress is that from, anyway?

For anyone who doesn't want spoilers don't watch

A good clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPCJJMEYXRI

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I watched the beach scene with Tom and Shiv again. Is it me or is Shiv actually trying not to laugh after Tom tells her how he feels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alSoFv-FbfE

what a monster lmao

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think the final line from Tom makes her take him seriously for once but yeah she’s basically laughing him off for 90% of that scene

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I can see that either way. It could be stifling a laugh, or it could be just one of those weird "Trying not to cry" grimaces. My face does some weird poo poo when I'm upset, anyway. :shrug:

Then again, Shiv kinda seems like she'll laugh or :smug: whether she's "supposed to" or not, so I'm leaning more towards actually being upset. Interesting point, though.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Read After Burning posted:

I can see that either way. It could be stifling a laugh, or it could be just one of those weird "Trying not to cry" grimaces. My face does some weird poo poo when I'm upset, anyway. :shrug:

Then again, Shiv kinda seems like she'll laugh or :smug: whether she's "supposed to" or not, so I'm leaning more towards actually being upset. Interesting point, though.

It's def a trying not to cry kinda acting grimace, comes off weird tho

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Inner Light posted:

It's def a trying not to cry kinda acting grimace, comes off weird tho

most grimaces do look weird, that's why they're grimaces

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy
Tom is cruel to those under him, and sycophantic to those over him, he has just found an opportunity to shift those definitions.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Nerdietalk posted:

I think the final line from Tom makes her take him seriously for once but yeah she’s basically laughing him off for 90% of that scene

Like Ken, like Rom(sorta), Shiv has the occasional moments where she fleetingly connects to actual humanity, and I think this was one of them. Not enough to really change her behavior…although..does she ever have another “open marriage” moment after this?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I saw Tom mostly as a joke character and comedic relief at first but the character has grown into something really interesting. They could take him in any number of directions now

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

navyjack posted:

Like Ken, like Rom(sorta), Shiv has the occasional moments where she fleetingly connects to actual humanity, and I think this was one of them. Not enough to really change her behavior…although..does she ever have another “open marriage” moment after this?
Seeing as how that's the end of season 2 and we just watched season 3 and she never touches another man so much as looks at one outside of Tom, no, the only time open marriage is mentioned again is (maybe) during a time when Tom and Shiv are talking about their marriage. That's it.

Parappa the Dapper
Jul 2, 2003

...and then my toast came out soft.
She also immediately goes to Logan after that scene and pleads that anyone but Tom be sacrificed prior to the shareholder’s meeting. Even at the behest of Logan that making decisions like this is necessary for leadership.

It seems like a mix of humanity and keeping a match to burn for later got to her on that fancy yacht.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've known plenty of people who react to direct confrontation by laughing it off. It's a defense mechanism to feign incredulity even when whatever is being said to you is the truth, but you see how he persists and it eventually breaks through the facade at the end of the scene.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I've known plenty of people who react to direct confrontation by laughing it off. It's a defense mechanism to feign incredulity even when whatever is being said to you is the truth, but you see how he persists and it eventually breaks through the facade at the end of the scene.

I meant at the end of the scene though. After Tom says something about the sad I am with you being more than the sad I am without you. Her reaction at first looks upset, but then it looks like she stifles a laugh. I wonder if that was scripted or just an acting choice. I'm not sure how to think of it now, it's odd! probably just a weird grimace like others have said, I don't think Shiv would actually laugh at her husband telling her how sad he feels even though she is awful

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I find it very difficult not to smirk if I'm being told something awful. It's a weird reflex and AFAIK I'm probably not a psychopath.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Huh, I think it's very obvious that it's meant to be a "try not to cry" look.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

yeah, it seems like she just got a surprising impact. Your face does a lot of things when someone shares something painful with you in an intimate moment and you feel it, especially when you’re the cause, I feel like you cycle through a lot of emotions very quickly for something that complicated and painful. She may not care much about Tom but he’s commenting directly about her and how she makes him feel. I don’t think she really reciprocates this until she tells him she doesn’t love him in season 3

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I feel like we saw very little of Ewan this season. I'm curious if that plotline is done now that he gave Greg's inheritance to Greenpeace.

Collapsing Farts posted:

I saw Tom mostly as a joke character and comedic relief at first but the character has grown into something really interesting. They could take him in any number of directions now

:yeah:

stev posted:

I find it very difficult not to smirk if I'm being told something awful. It's a weird reflex and AFAIK I'm probably not a psychopath.

I am a notoriously bad "nervous laugher".

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

It's understandable to go either the "she's trying not to laugh" or "she's trying not to cry" route here both because, yes, that's the face being made but also because this show is full of horrible people and, as such, could go either way.

But yeah, since she went to Logan immediately afterward and insisted he not be the fall guy, that lends context to the idea she was trying not to cry. This could be her realizing she definitely doesn't love him and, as such, owes him the relief of not being thrown under the bus.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Logan, the man who insisted that Shiv married a man so far below her, now accepts Tom as his only begotten son.

(Connor raging in the background)

Maybe Shiv believes it, too. Maybe she thinks Tom is actually her meat puppet.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cranappleberry posted:

Logan, the man who insisted that Shiv married a man so far below her, now accepts Tom as his only begotten son.

(Connor raging in the background)

Maybe Shiv believes it, too. Maybe she thinks Tom is actually her meat puppet.

Catching up on the thread and the show, and watching multiple episodes at a time, you almost get a sense of the kids stats.

Like Kendal has a good sense for business fundamentals, but is terrible at reading people and his personality is prone to instability and fragility. 8/4/4

Almost reversed by Roman, who's excellent at reading people, but his personality is weak and doesn't have much a backbone, and his sense of the Waystar business is lacking. 9/5/2.

Then there's Shiv. Who is absolutely terrible at reading people, but has a strong, decisive personality, along with a lack of familiarity or skill with the family business (i.e ATN is the crown jewel of it). 2/8/3

They're somewhat intelligent, but only each have a separate component of what makes Logan such a good (and evil) businessman, great people reading skills, has good business skills, and has a strong enough personality to get what he wants (like Shiv did as well, lol). 9/9/9

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Shageletic posted:

They're somewhat intelligent, but only each have a separate component of what makes Logan such a good (and evil) businessman, great people reading skills, has good business skills, and has a strong enough personality to get what he wants (like Shiv did as well, lol). 9/9/9

Rewatching the series... is Logan actually a good business man in the episodes we've seen? Like, in S2 he randomly decides to shutter the tech upstart they had because he wanted to be spiteful to Kendall (Roman's later pacing wondering if it's the right choice because that's the only reason he pitched that), and actively fucks over Shiv leading to her breakdown.

You get the sense he's very good at reading and intimidate people, and mostly uses that to stay on top. Rather than actually doing a clever business move.

Granted, the business moves are entirely in service of the plot and not actually important, but still.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The World Inferno posted:

Rewatching the series... is Logan actually a good business man in the episodes we've seen? Like, in S2 he randomly decides to shutter the tech upstart they had because he wanted to be spiteful to Kendall (Roman's later pacing wondering if it's the right choice because that's the only reason he pitched that), and actively fucks over Shiv leading to her breakdown.

You get the sense he's very good at reading and intimidate people, and mostly uses that to stay on top. Rather than actually doing a clever business move.

Granted, the business moves are entirely in service of the plot and not actually important, but still.
He doesn't actually want his children to succeed. He wants to beat them.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

And then he wants them to gently caress OFF!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The World Inferno posted:

But isn't that the clever business move? Whatever he does, has worked at him being top dog for however decades. It's like the measure of a medieval King was how long they reigned, which entailed a specific set of skills to maintain power. That's what's Logan is doing. He's not adding value. He's maintaining himself as King of poo poo Mountain and no one can push him off.

That's what the measure of 'good business sense' is too lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

nooneofconsequence posted:

He doesn't actually want his children to succeed. He wants to beat them.

The Succession is his, not theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

But the point is that Greg is a bad person pretending to be good... and Tom's employees...

...maybe deserve it? It'd be a funnier and more entertaining twist to the series than Tom wearing a wire, at least.

Now you're just coping.