Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

The path forward is not "oh no this is tragic we gotta do something" -- that ship has sailed. Anyone obsessed with 'how do we stop it' has broken lib brain. The path forward is attrition and building a localized community that can stick together and start growing some localized food and figuring out where there's wells that still have water and who can shelter who. Not on an individual level, that path is failure, but as many people as can be in forming a community. see also how people survived the balkan wars. it wasn't preppers that lived, it was groups of people who banded together. this isn't something that requires silly futile martyring, it's something that requires making social connectivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
:killing:, not!

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 02:24 on Dec 20, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rime posted:

Some regulators and the chemical industry have long claimed that dumping PFAS into the ocean is an appropriate disposal method because it dilutes the waste to a safe level.

And gently caress what those assholes at AutoZone say!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rime posted:

This is where I am at right now. I have a long essay on the topic which I'm still fine tuning, but I'll give the cliffnotes version here:

Just as the government massively subsidizes Agricultural output in marginal terrain because low food prices keeps the population happy, so too will it subsidize and perpetuate the fossil fuel economy until the bitter end. Oil and Gas is quite literally the "divine right to rule" for modern governments, as soon as it goes away and takes cheap consumerism with it, these governments will crumble overnight. They know this. Fracking lost over $500 Billion in fifteen years without ever turning a profit, they kept it flowing through tax incentives to keep the price at the pump low.

As such, attempting to stop a pipeline or protest an O&G field is asinine and ignorant of reality to an offensive degree. At best you will be permitted to wave a sign and the minor financial disruptions from it accepted as the cost of pacifying the discordant left, at worst (in the event you achieve anything of note) you will be thrown in prison (See: Steven Donziger). As things break down further the mask will come off, you will be shot in the head, and you will be written off in the media as a terrorist. By and large the general public, having the mental capacity of a cow and fearing the loss of toys and steak your actions represented in a world where their comforts are already crumbling, will cheer your demise.

I am going back to all of my old oil-focused environmental protest groups, still busy pointlessly rabble-rousing about a pipeline owned by the loving government, and trying to encourage them to immediately drop that poo poo and pivot to an outreach model to build degrowth transition mutual-aid networks. So that whomever is listening, right loving now, has a snowballs chance in hell of not immediately dying when agriculture fails.

If you want to legitimately salve your conscience and pretend you have some moral superiority, which is the only takeaway anyone will get from this rambling shitpost, you do it in a way which actually has a chance to meaningfully help people moving forwards, not with vaguely hinted at performative masturbatory acts which will increasingly risk eating a bullet as systemic breakdown spirals further out of control and the Military-Industrial complex gets nervous.

If all you want to do is come in here and imply that since we're not bombing pipelines we're nihilist failures complicit in the failure of a system which has already failed, you can go gently caress right back to D&D.

:fuckoff:

This was an extremely good post, I found it more hopeful than anything I've read in a long time. Thank you. It feels especially poignant here in Calgary, which has managed to surpass Vancouver in the rate of homelessness and overdose deaths.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

splifyphus posted:

I'll try to make it so simple a toddler could get it.

you, yourself, as an individual meatsack reading this thread, have a choice. you get to die on your knees mewling like a liberal coward, or you get to go out on your feet like a goddamn adult.

that's it. that's the only choice you have. it doesn't matter in the slightest, it will do nothing and accomplish nothing, your existence will have been just as meaningless either way, and multi-cellular life is loving off for the foreseeable future regardless.

It's a completely meaningless, subjective shift of one's attitude and outlook, it costs you nothing to make it, and yet still you're all regurgitating the same nihilist garbage you've been spoonfed your whole lives.

gently caress all of you. just loving die already.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

go shoot some guns in a quarry or something, it's pretty fun

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

I will keep planning for what happens when the internet shuts down and I no longer know what is happening in my country. It’s called nihilism baby. Perhaps you’ve heard of it?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Cloks posted:

i don't know what to tell you then, because that's the scale I'm working on

"don't be a nihilist, do something!"

okay here's what i did

"not that, that's too small!"

I think you misunderstood my comment in passing as pointed criticism but it wasn’t. I don’t really care, and wasn’t exactly directing it at you specifically.

Just a result of :justpost:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I know the future

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Cloks posted:

I'll miss Syphilis, they really changed my outlook today.

Anyway, I like this quote from Middlemarch that helps me reflect on the importance of my deeds in the world.

“But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.”

but I'm also a big fan of

"Lol. Lmao." - anonymous

much to reflect on as the increasing intensity of meteorological phenomena decimates reduced crop yield

I like that quote too, thanks for sharing

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

splifyphus posted:

I'll try to make it so simple a toddler could get it.

you, yourself, as an individual meatsack reading this thread, have a choice. you get to die on your knees mewling like a liberal coward, or you get to go out on your feet like a goddamn adult.

that's it. that's the only choice you have. it doesn't matter in the slightest, it will do nothing and accomplish nothing, your existence will have been just as meaningless either way, and multi-cellular life is loving off for the foreseeable future regardless.

It's a completely meaningless, subjective shift of one's attitude and outlook, it costs you nothing to make it, and yet still you're all regurgitating the same nihilist garbage you've been spoonfed your whole lives.

gently caress all of you. just loving die already.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

this post owns because it's a tl;dr of what would happen if anyone took your advice except the ban irl would be substantially worse

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Ruggan posted:

I think you misunderstood my comment in passing as pointed criticism but it wasn’t. I don’t really care, and wasn’t exactly directing it at you specifically.

Just a result of :justpost:

:cheers:

i like this thread because the scope of my world has shrunk in the last few years - i was involved in a lot of tenant's rights organizing, electoral canvassing (lol) and other work that directly engaged with other people and because of covid, I've lost the ability to engage in the organizing work i like to do.

consequentially, a lot of my social interaction is in a world that doesn't really acknowledge the reality of our present situation and reading this thread makes me feel sane.

i could probably stand to do less drive by posting and look for ways to reengage with my broader local community - ultimately, that is what's going to make a difference when poo poo starts really going down, like others have said

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Rime posted:

PFAS ‘forever chemicals’ constantly cycle through ground, air and water, study finds

Like making GBS threads into a fan, laughing, and having it hit you in the face.

the water cycle exists? what?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bedpan posted:

the water cycle exists? what?

lmfao what the gently caress is wrong with us. we are so monumentally stupid as a species. we have graphs for this!!

you learn this poo poo in middle school!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I'm gonna play Minecraft in honor of the banned poster

Bonald Farndhardt
Apr 18, 2005
Ye it up
snowmealt

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
It's strange to me that anyone can get too worried about the end of the world when you consider that no matter what happens, you'll still be able to get a Little Caesar's DEEP! DEEP! dish pizza for $13.99. The seas may boil and the earth turn to dust, but the DEEP! DEEP! dish pizza will still be $13.99, less than one hour's wages in British Columbia: The Best Place On Earth. Meditate on this and you will feel a deep peace.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel Glompers posted:

It's strange to me that anyone can get too worried about the end of the world when you consider that no matter what happens, you'll still be able to get a Little Caesar's DEEP! DEEP! dish pizza for $13.99. The seas may boil and the earth turn to dust, but the DEEP! DEEP! dish pizza will still be $13.99, less than one hour's wages in British Columbia: The Best Place On Earth. Meditate on this and you will feel a deep peace.

it was $5. hot and ready. that was the social contract

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lmfao what the gently caress is wrong with us. we are so monumentally stupid as a species. we have graphs for this!!

you learn this poo poo in middle school!

you fool, you simpleton

that's the water cycle not the chemical cycle

you purify water when camping by boiling it and salt water by boiling it and catching condensation therefore rain is pure and good

if anything else was going on the graph would say so

we eat how much sea salt again?!

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Mameluke posted:

it was $5. hot and ready. that was the social contract

That's impossible

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmpam036mtg

here's a song :ohdear: never give up, goons :unsmith:

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yours is out of date though.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
:rubby:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

this is real good, glad they posted the lyrics, wow

soundsection
May 10, 2010
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > Biosphere Collapse: The results are fascinating but at the same time concerning,

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Alamani57 posted:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
i wonder if pfas is inside of covid as well, omikron plasticing up your body

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Alamani57 posted:

lmao

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Alamani57 posted:

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Alamani57 posted:

lol

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Alamani57 posted:

lol that's me told

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Alamani57 posted:

excellent, thank you

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMH-ha3Lbc

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Thank you for this song, its nice.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

PFAS ‘forever chemicals’ constantly cycle through ground, air and water, study finds

Like making GBS threads into a fan, laughing, and having it hit you in the face.

just gunna repeat this quote that should have been bolded because lmao

“The common belief was that PFAS would eventually wash off into the oceans where they would stay to be diluted over the timescale of decades,” said Matthew Salter, a co-author of the study and researcher at Stockholm University. “But it turns out that there’s a boomerang effect, and some of the toxic PFAS are re-emitted to air, transported long distances and then deposited back onto land.”

just the dumbest loving species

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Unusual warmth as Greenland records above freezing temperatures for several consecutive days.
https://twitter.com/extremetemps/status/1472558001194254339
https://twitter.com/xr_cambridge/status/1472125782898221062

Also more heat on the way for the USA for Christmas.
https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/1472676239102001153

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

munce posted:

Also more heat on the way for the USA for Christmas.
https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/1472676239102001153

lol drat. at least we never got snow here in california anyways so it's nbd but lol at rest of the country. so much for i'm dreaming of a white christmas anymore.

anyways come on blue 👏 ocean 👏 event

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i can't believe how hosed we are

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
When the world collapses will there still be internet (and league of legends).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Xaris posted:

just the dumbest loving species

new thread title?