Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Femur posted:

The only time i ever vividly daydream of killing people is in traffic, so cars gonna be be important in this awakening imho.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975882

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I know the future

it has been very very good to me :yooge:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
not to mention that it would be a huge tactical mistake to even allude to the direct actions that are necessary on a public message board.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Trabisnikof posted:

oh certainly, but even those marginal changes matter. like forcing one BLM lease deal to be stopped or shutting down one coal plant due to inspected deficiencies to the mercury emissions controls actually does reduce emissions or whatever in a way that no other individual action can under our current sociopolitical system.

its not going to save the climate, but it certainly has more positive impacts than anything else anyone in this thread can do

I can see that you're NOT USING CAPITAL LETTERS and not the alt jerking yourself off.

I'm trying to process this series of posts and it's not going well, for me. Honestly. Just filing it under, dude's not wrong just an rear end in a top hat.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Acelerion posted:

The only useful discussion leftists could have would be how to maintain a vanguard through the collapse. But no one knows the form it will take so even that is mostly navel gazing.

Sometimes there really isn't a solution. When you have already gone over the cliff there is no point in talking about how to best flap our arms. Maybe you will survive the fall, but who knows if it will be your back or your legs that break.

This is where I am at right now. I have a long essay on the topic which I'm still fine tuning, but I'll give the cliffnotes version here:

Just as the government massively subsidizes Agricultural output in marginal terrain because low food prices keeps the population happy, so too will it subsidize and perpetuate the fossil fuel economy until the bitter end. Oil and Gas is quite literally the "divine right to rule" for modern governments, as soon as it goes away and takes cheap consumerism with it, these governments will crumble overnight. They know this. Fracking lost over $500 Billion in fifteen years without ever turning a profit, they kept it flowing through tax incentives to keep the price at the pump low.

As such, attempting to stop a pipeline or protest an O&G field is asinine and ignorant of reality to an offensive degree. At best you will be permitted to wave a sign and the minor financial disruptions from it accepted as the cost of pacifying the discordant left, at worst (in the event you achieve anything of note) you will be thrown in prison (See: Steven Donziger). As things break down further the mask will come off, you will be shot in the head, and you will be written off in the media as a terrorist. By and large the general public, having the mental capacity of a cow and fearing the loss of toys and steak your actions represented in a world where their comforts are already crumbling, will cheer your demise.

I am going back to all of my old oil-focused environmental protest groups, still busy pointlessly rabble-rousing about a pipeline owned by the loving government, and trying to encourage them to immediately drop that poo poo and pivot to an outreach model to build degrowth transition mutual-aid networks. So that whomever is listening, right loving now, has a snowballs chance in hell of not immediately dying when agriculture fails.

If you want to legitimately salve your conscience and pretend you have some moral superiority, which is the only takeaway anyone will get from this rambling shitpost, you do it in a way which actually has a chance to meaningfully help people moving forwards, not with vaguely hinted at performative masturbatory acts which will increasingly risk eating a bullet as systemic breakdown spirals further out of control and the Military-Industrial complex gets nervous.

If all you want to do is come in here and imply that since we're not bombing pipelines we're nihilist failures complicit in the failure of a system which has already failed, you can go gently caress right back to D&D.

:fuckoff:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

not to mention that it would be a huge tactical mistake to even allude to the direct actions that are necessary on a public message board.

I mean look what happened to Sean Smith

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

splifyphus posted:

in this hypothetical, the difference is between whether one dies as a smoker, or whether one dies having beaten the addiction. this is a meaningful difference to the smoker.

u mean the dead guy?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

yeah but i don't think this thread has information that will lead to the arrest of hillary clinton

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trabisnikof posted:

legit surprised that's not on the market already tbh

selling the children third worlders don't have to polluters so they can claim their carbon emissions are offset

goes about as well as the tree thing when people change their minds and have kids anyway

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
and here i thought that it was only the ice caps and the glaciers melting down!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Eventually we're all going to get to the "OH poo poo GUNFIRE" phase of our lives, probably sooner than we'd all like. :smith:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mayor Dave posted:

yeah but i don't think this thread has information that will lead to the arrest of hillary clinton

no it totally does

but thanks for reminding me that fox news just went ape poo poo on benghazi

who are the real perps? it's actually republicans, what a twist!

defund the state dept and find out

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

:golfclap:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rime posted:

This is where I am at right now. I have a long essay on the topic which I'm still fine tuning, but I'll give the cliffnotes version here:

Just as the government massively subsidizes Agricultural output in marginal terrain because low food prices keeps the population happy, so too will it subsidize and perpetuate the fossil fuel economy until the bitter end. Oil and Gas is quite literally the "divine right to rule" for modern governments, as soon as it goes away and takes cheap consumerism with it, these governments will crumble overnight. They know this. Fracking lost over $500 Billion in fifteen years without ever turning a profit, they kept it flowing through tax incentives to keep the price at the pump low.

As such, attempting to stop a pipeline or protest an O&G field is asinine and ignorant of reality to an offensive degree. At best you will be permitted to wave a sign and the minor financial disruptions from it accepted as the cost of pacifying the discordant left, at worst (in the event you achieve anything of note) you will be thrown in prison (See: Steven Donziger). As things break down further the mask will come off, you will be shot in the head, and you will be written off in the media as a terrorist. By and large the general public, having the mental capacity of a cow and fearing the loss of toys and steak your actions represented in a world where their comforts are already crumbling, will cheer your demise.

I am going back to all of my old oil-focused environmental protest groups, still busy pointlessly rabble-rousing about a pipeline owned by the loving government, and trying to encourage them to immediately drop that poo poo and pivot to an outreach model to build degrowth transition mutual-aid networks. So that whomever is listening, right loving now, has a snowballs chance in hell of not immediately dying when agriculture fails.

If you want to legitimately salve your conscience and pretend you have some moral superiority, which is the only takeaway anyone will get from this rambling shitpost, you do it in a way which actually has a chance to meaningfully help people moving forwards, not with vaguely hinted at performative masturbatory acts which will increasingly risk eating a bullet as systemic breakdown spirals further out of control and the Military-Industrial complex gets nervous.

If all you want to do is come in here and imply that since we're not bombing pipelines we're nihilist failures complicit in the failure of a system which has already failed, you can go gently caress right back to D&D.

:hai:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I can see that you're NOT USING CAPITAL LETTERS and not the alt jerking yourself off.

I'm trying to process this series of posts and it's not going well, for me. Honestly. Just filing it under, dude's not wrong just an rear end in a top hat.

better to have one goon deleting Hillary’s emails than 100 footless tiny toes

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rime posted:

have you tried smiling about it

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Trabisnikof posted:

better to have one goon deleting Hillary’s emails than 100 footless tiny toes

technically he was deleting the local copies

just doing his job i guess

at some point though america needs to take off the t-shirt with the black and blue punisher skull and look at it

are we the baddies?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the posts are coming from inside the Air Force base!!’

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
still want to quote naked lunch though

Tom Frost:
No American should find himself in a foreign land without a pistol.

holds up

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

splifyphus posted:

well thanks for all stumbling over yourselves to prove my point. I'll try to provide an example of actually trying to combat nihilism rather than just mainlining it.
They really poisoned the well by thinking certain thoughts huh

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
imagine not wanting to firsthand witness our demise as a species

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Wakko posted:

humanity stands at the cusp of realizing its grand destiny. tens of thousands of years of consumption have brought us here, and you whine? imagine a tuberculosis bacterium mewling like this as the host's lungs start to fill with fluid. generations have stood on the shoulders of one another, all working together to bring us here. its is only now, at the great dying, that we realize true meaning.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Shima Honnou posted:

imagine not wanting to firsthand witness our demise as a species

Yeah, the human race immolating itself is a good thing and saves the rest of the universe, if life exists elsewhere, from our taint

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm so excited for the end times y'all. Can't wait for the sweet embrace of death to take us all :cheers:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I'm so excited for the end times y'all. Can't wait for the sweet embrace of death to take us all :cheers:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

RC Cola posted:

Odds of dying are pretty low, odds of being a homeless refugee for years are very high

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

T-Paine posted:

Yeah, the human race immolating itself is a good thing and saves the rest of the universe, if life exists elsewhere, from our taint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9wS0jYio_4&t=59s

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

RC Cola posted:

so loving lazy

fucks news crowd just praying about israel lighing one off levels of lazy

you know they go to bed just praying to aryan jesus that idk, iran gets uppity

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The Vinja Ninja posted:

I remember telling people that with considerable warming means more energy input into the earth, which means higher wind speeds. Turns out that really happens during winter.

so we are gonna have stagnant heat during summer burning everything, and then 100mph wind storms yearly during winter.

Forever more, forever storm, wind, wind wind.

That's actually a really good way to remember this thing I need for a test.

:smith:

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Rime posted:

Pivot to an outreach model to build degrowth transition mutual-aid networks. So that whomever is listening, right loving now, has a snowballs chance in hell of not immediately dying when agriculture fails.

This is the only thing that matters. These networks are super super important and in my experience the social aspect, camraderie, knowledge, and satisfaction of a project well done does wonders for my mental state. It would be well worth the time invested even if climate change was all just a bad dream.

Also, it's not like you can just google "mutual aid degrowth transition network" download an app and you're suddenly in a network of like-minded people you can rely on. You also don't need to convince your friends and relatives that the sky is falling. There are people on your neighborhood that are already just as crunk pung as you and are seriously thinking about how we live over the next 40 years, but they probably aren't broadcasting it. Ask some leading questions, find out who they are, see what projects they are part of, show interest and a willingness to help, connect them with other people, throw block parties, show empathy, talk about community and neighborhood level concerns, join clubs, get politically active on the municipal level.

I find volunteering is a good way to expand the network but so is just chatting up folks wherever you find them. I learned how to make booze from a dude that I started randomly taking to on the sidewalk. Turns out he ran a small farm in the area for 40 years and is a wealth of local knowledge. If the idea of being more social makes you uncomfortable then start small and start now.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Rectal Death Adept posted:

ah the "We can never know for certain so I can never be proven wrong" foundational bedrock of delusional denial

if you ever break through that you'll be making progress

you know, a species this stupid has it coming.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"Nuh Uh"
- Albert Einstein, 1842

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Cold on a Cob posted:

a lot of us legitimately believe that direct action is the only thing that will do any good, but we've admitted we are unwilling or unable to take that step or we think it will still be like pissing in the wind until there is a mass awakening event (and when that happens it will happen, regardless of what we post)

so really, seriously - what is your point for posting here, if not to just troll? we're not advocating people kill themselves in despair (quite the opposite) so i legitimately do not understand.

I think the only way to survive is by setting up a underground fortress like what the creation myths of the Aztechs and Pueblo culture said we came from, Deep underground surviving the ice age in little holes for hundreds of years.

With the air becoming a blade that will cut thru all we build, We can only cut deeper into the ground to survive. Become a knife.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
I'll try to make it so simple a toddler could get it.

you, yourself, as an individual meatsack reading this thread, have a choice. you get to die on your knees mewling like a liberal coward, or you get to go out on your feet like a goddamn adult.

that's it. that's the only choice you have. it doesn't matter in the slightest, it will do nothing and accomplish nothing, your existence will have been just as meaningless either way, and multi-cellular life is loving off for the foreseeable future regardless.

It's a completely meaningless, subjective shift of one's attitude and outlook, it costs you nothing to make it, and yet still you're all regurgitating the same nihilist garbage you've been spoonfed your whole lives.

gently caress all of you. just loving die already.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

splifyphus posted:

you, yourself, as an individual meatsack reading this thread, have a choice. you get to die on your knees mewling like a liberal coward, or you get to go out on your feet like a goddamn adult.

that's it. that's the only choice you have. it doesn't matter in the slightest, it will do nothing and accomplish nothing, your existence will have been just as meaningless either way, and multi-cellular life is loving off for the foreseeable future regardless.

It's a completely meaningless, subjective shift of one's attitude and outlook, it costs you nothing to make it, and yet still you're all regurgitating the same nihilist garbage you've been spoonfed your whole lives.

gently caress off already fed

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
We may be plummeting off of a cliff, but look! There are delicious berries growing down the side

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

splifyphus posted:

don’t you have a season of succession to watch

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

splifyphus posted:

I have pizza in the oven

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

splifyphus posted:

u first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

splifyphus posted:

You're never gonna be a bodhisattva with this much of a lack of compassion