Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Robot Style posted:

It's very generous to assume Bioware was actually digging into some of the source material rather than just dusting off their standard KOTOR / Mass Effect / Dragon Age "Ancient something or other returns to cause trouble" plot and calling it a day.

I mean they had SWAT Bots and Chili Dogs so they at least did a cursory glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

It is so hosed up that Penders owns Scourge when everything that makes people give a poo poo about him came after Penders left.

This should be Evil Sonic The Speed Demon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I really hope SEGA sues Penders into the ground over this

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Apparently the creative time is also made up of Nazis, so like the one good thing about Penders - that he's merely a lovely Lib rather than a right wing monster like most lovely comic book personalities - is kind of moot.
https://thankskenpenders.tumblr.com/post/668050838166634496/so-developments-on-the-scourge-the-speed-demon

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://thankskenpenders.tumblr.com/post/668321239115366400/its-been-a-tumultuous-week-and-it-looks-like

lol

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
This is great.
https://twitter.com/thxkenpenders/status/1462233871400026116

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I love how this happened in the same week three new characters were introduced that were based on glitches in the original games and in the one example linked already look more distinct and fitting into the setting than the old character did.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Well, two new characters. Starline's been around for a bit.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Still disappointed that this didn't last long enough for Sega to sue Ken Penders into absolute poverty

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

drrockso20 posted:

Still disappointed that this didn't last long enough for Sega to sue Ken Penders into absolute poverty

Fairly sure this fellow has said he won't give up, so chances are getting sued into oblivion is still on the menu.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

This whole thing was just ludicrous to me. While he might own the Archie Comics character "Evil Sonic" on paper, there's no way in hell he could get away with selling comics about that character without Sega's permission. Doubly so for a new version of the character created by someone else who absolutely had a contract that made their original characters Sega's property.

EDIT:
So I finally read the TKP breakdown of this whole thing thoroughly and the situation seems to be "Penders owns Scourge/Evil Sonic outright, but he cannot use the character in a way that causes brand confusion with Sonic". So basically Evil Sonic's pre-Scourge form is effectively unusable without breaking the brand confusion rule, and Scourge himself is iffy if they play up the Sonic similarities too much.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 22, 2021

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1472710042629541889

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dear god why is he horrible in almost all the ways.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

almost?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

How much of a fanbase does Ken Penders actually have for stuff like this? Do people in the modern Sonic community even know who he is? The pinned tweet on his account announcing the availability of his not-Echidnas comic from May has only accumulated 52 likes over all that time, I can't imagine there's much of market for his NFTs.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You think nfts need to be popular to be tragically stupid?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's the nature of grifts like this that you don't need to fool many people and in fact, works better when you weed out people who don't or can't know any better.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

He hasn't gone alt-right pseudofash yet, so he cleared that incredibly low bar.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Potsticker posted:

It's the nature of grifts like this that you don't need to fool many people and in fact, works better when you weed out people who don't or can't know any better.
Yeah but you have to pay to create NFTs, unless maybe there's some upstart blockchain giving them away for free to get a foothold in the market. I guess as long as his handful of fans are of the inexplicably wealthy furry variety where they'll buy anything he puts out no matter the cost it's worth it for him to pay the upfront costs.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Saw this Bucky O'Hare action figure, and why does it look like a Ken Penders character?

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/54507

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1488619322012749824

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

HAHA x a million

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hello please buy GreenSonic.jpg for 100k.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I have to wonder if him throwing out NFTs of Scourge/Anti-Sonic, Green Knuckles, Robo-Robotnik, and "Julie-Su AKA Shade" as his first actual potential money makers is him trying to bait Sega into taking him to court themselves over the large theoretical sum. Since his own attempted lawsuits against Sega & EA over Dark Brotherhood were dismissed multiple times meaning he currently has no legal claim to Shade, and the others are the ones most obviously derivative of Sega's brand even if he did win in Archie's case.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
This is 100% bait, banking on the fact that Sega won’t want to go through the embarrassment of another court case with this guy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm awestruck that he's just straight up selling Green Knuckles.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Green Knuckles isn't even a derivative character, Knuckles was just green for a while.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/StabilizeYT/status/1488944687079735304?s=20&t=FY6KVknnPXQjEjeW8iJl6Q

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

:worship:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alacron posted:

This is 100% bait, banking on the fact that Sega won’t want to go through the embarrassment of another court case with this guy.

He even said he agrees NFTs are bad, but is planning on doing this out of some weird form of principle.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

MonsterEnvy posted:

He even said he agrees NFTs are bad, but is planning on doing this out of some weird form of principle.

So “money” with a heavy sprinkling of “I know this will make my many haters upset?”

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

So “money” with a heavy sprinkling of “I know this will make my many haters upset?”

Probably.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Gruckles posted:

I have to wonder if him throwing out NFTs of Scourge/Anti-Sonic, Green Knuckles, Robo-Robotnik, and "Julie-Su AKA Shade" as his first actual potential money makers is him trying to bait Sega into taking him to court themselves over the large theoretical sum. Since his own attempted lawsuits against Sega & EA over Dark Brotherhood were dismissed multiple times meaning he currently has no legal claim to Shade, and the others are the ones most obviously derivative of Sega's brand even if he did win in Archie's case.
What does he have to gain by going back to court? Does he really think he has a legal claim to Green Knuckles et al. and is going to get full control of them? I didn't think he was that delusional.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Knormal posted:

What does he have to gain by going back to court? Does he really think he has a legal claim to Green Knuckles et al. and is going to get full control of them? I didn't think he was that delusional.

Yeah as someone else mentioned Green Knuckles (or “Chaos Knuckles” as I think he was called in the comic) isn’t even an AU counterpart like Scourge and Robo Robotnik were, he’s literally just Knuckles in every aspect.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

MonsterEnvy posted:

I get the impression he might be dumb enough to think if he doesn't mint them before someone else (ignoring people can just mint different images of the character) that this would somehow not be defending his copyrights or something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
BRB minting Blue Knumkles and CyberChaos Knuckles

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Need a Slayoss Jemerald NFT from Penders Mint

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Ironslave posted:

I get the impression he might be dumb enough to think if he doesn't mint them before someone else (ignoring people can just mint different images of the character) that this would somehow not be defending his copyrights or something.
Which is ridiculous, because there's already perfectly good means to stop people minting NFTs of your art: you do a copyright takedown of the images they point the NFT links at and/or you sue them for the profits they've made by ripping off your work.

Usually this is sufficiently expensive and headache-inducing that artists don't do it but in Penders' case we absolutely know he is litigious enough to do it, if someone's willing to go fight Archie and Sega in court on a case which they only won because of a hilarious fuckup on the other side's part which he couldn't have 100% counted on (he couldn't have known that they didn't have copies of the original contracts in a vault somewhere which they'd have eventually found), they are going to be willing to go after a shady NFT operation who probably won't want much legal scrutiny of their activities.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

BRB minting Blue Knumkles and CyberChaos Knuckles

What if you minted an NFT that was half of each

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1489877964942544901?s=20&t=G3euZQ82AmmZvYPiktxsqg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

the bonus is exclusive shame