Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

sugar free jazz posted:

Derek you fool, you know not what you ask. Borrow my phone? You may as well ask to borrow my gun! It is a level seven security breech that you request! To get to my galaxy s10 you must first get through my butterfly blade, villain, have at thee

The entire IT department at your workplace thinks you're a moron hth

...assuming you have a job and weren't fired from the last one for sending the company wire transfer information to the CEO when he asked for it in an urgent hurry to complete an important sales transaction and was in such a hurry that he was emailing from his personal address steven.stevenson.theceo@gmail.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Close friend's wife seemingly hates me, is there a way to salvage our friendship? Posted byu/DaPissTaka

quote:

I've (37M) been friends with my buddy (let's call him Joe) for a decade now. He and I have a ton in common and at one point we spoke daily, pretty much all day. My wife (35F) got along with his wife (let's call her Jane) very well. We stayed at each other homes often (we lived in different states for awhile), went on vacation together, just a great couples friendship.

Well Jane seemingly out of the blue had some sort of crisis 3 years ago. She convinced Joe to sell their house, move to an apartment 5 states away (to the same city we live in!), quit his job of 6 years and find new work in a new state, and take care of all of the financial load while she would not work or even get a driver's license at age 34. Joe is also a musician and he was cutting an album during all of this with musicians in between states. Needless to say he pretty much had an anxiety attack from the stress while Jane was jobless and posting on Instagram about her new fabulous life.

Every time we saw Jane after this she was very different. Badmouthed everyone, complained about everything, the whole conversation revolved around her, she put Joe down in front of us, and just all around arrogant and unpleasant to be around. Then two years ago we all went out for drinks and there must have been a perceived slight, because Jane never really spoke to us again after (other than to screw my wife out of money).

I invited them out or to our home over and over again. Kept getting blown off. Jane commissioned my wife for an art piece (my wife is an artist) and then Jane ghosted her so we have a useless painting for a "client" that we will never use. Whatever the reason, it's clear that Jane has hated my wife and I for two years and running because we live 20 minutes apart and she won't even let Joe tell us their address.

Joe clearly wanted to keep our friendship going (I don't even know if he has other friends here) and we would still speak frequently despite everything. He has confessed to getting drunk in his apartment by himself on the weekends while his wife was out doing who knows what. But every time I would invite us to hang he would get excited, check in with Jane, and then we would get ghosted. The straw that broke the camel's back is when he said they had no family or friends to celebrate Thanksgiving with, so we invited them to our home. Again, he had to ask Jane and of course we got ghosted. They ended up getting take out.

So I'm at the end of my rope. Joe is my good buddy and a great person, but his wife has made him blow me off for TWO YEARS now. I'm pushing 40 and I'm way past my limit with these high school games. Is there any way to salvage this relationship or should I just throw in the towel and cut them both out of my life?

Tl;dr: close friend's wife turned on me and now I don't know if I should be friends with the two of them anymore

Grandma [F80s] keeps pushing her antique values on me [F20s] I love her but need her to drop this, if only for my daughter's sake. Posted byu/KnittingforHouselves

quote:

Holly molly this is so long… if anyone reads this you're my hero.

TL;DR Me (20s female) and my grandma (80 female) have been fighting over her antiquated view of gender roles. I snapped. How do I proceed?

This has a long backstory, please bear with me.

To preface, me (late 20s female) and my grandma (early 80s female) have always been close. My father has been mostly absent and a jerk, so my immediately family consisted of my mother and my grandma. My grandma is a wonderful old lady, she has many interests, since she stopped being fully mobile she's online all the time, following her family and many friends. She is very progressive, for example she's a huge ally for LGBTQ. She has one big flaw (IMO) and that is how rigid her view is on gender roles.

She loves to tell how at her wedding her mother asked her new husband to feel free to physically punish her (my grandma) if she ever failed to do chores. She thinks it was cute. She also keeps on talking about how a woman has to have her house in order before she can do anything else (meaning unless your windows are cleaned once a month, all laundry done, floor spotless, white-glove inspection ready, NO friends, NO hobbies, NO rest!). And if your man helps you, you're not a woman and will burn I hell basically. It really is such a strange point of her personality and we keep butting heads over this (I'm told I'm stubborn after her).

She's been trying to push this on me and my mom since I could remember. I used to brush her off, but now I've got a daughter and I REALLY don't want her to be fed this once she understands more, so it is kore and more of a topic because I now stand up to her whenever she's muttering it under her breath at family lunches etc. We see each other almost daily as she and my mother live 10 minutes away (something we decided to do very intentionally, the mutual agreement is that we support them as much as possible, ie car-rides, groceries, house maintenance etc., and they help with childcare). Also grandma visits regularly and knows that my place is OK, is might not be spotless but it is clean and about as organised as a home can be with a very mobile toddler reigning supreme. I cook every meal for my baby and most of the "adult" meals. I'm on top of the laundry and have a huge jungle if we'll kept houseplants, in other words I'm a normal capable adult.

I'm a pretty busy person, I'm a mom of a toddler, also a post-grad student, and a business owner. I do my share of the chores (which is now hugger than my husband's due to circumstances), but keeping the house spotless is not and never will be my number one priority. I'm also a strong believer in gender equality as is my husband. Grandma is going crazy over all this. She always believed that motherhood will "make me into a proper housewife", which honestly LOL. I have huge respect SAH mom's, what they do is very hard, but I also know I'd go crazy. If I abandoned my business, which I've been building for a decade, I'd become resentful and would be deeply unhappy.

So for the past couple of months the relationship between me and granny has been on the rocks because of this. She keeps calling me to ask things like "what will you be serving your husband for dinner once he gets home?" And I say "he ends way before I do, I don't know if he plans on cooking." She's livid. She keeps telling me about how her husband (grandpa died when I was a baby so I've never met him) never helped her, how she could never leave the kids with him because the one time she did my uncles poop was all over the wall and my mom had fallen of a shelf. How he never did groceries or anything, just came home after work, at 4pm and just relaxed by the TV while she worked and did everything, and she thinks every woman should.

I've recently realised how deeply her words had gotten to me without realising it. My husband proposed getting a cleaning lady a couple of times a month because we're both very busy. I broke down crying because I thought he wants to tell me I'm a useless wife... then I realise how ridiculous I was, but I needed to be ensured like a 100x that he doesn't see my value as a woman in how polished our floors are. After realising this I'm doubly decided that I don't want this fir my daughter.

So last week I was talking about a new project we have in my company, and it came to light that because of the extra workload last weekend, my husband was doing the childcare and chores and I was working on the big project. For one whole afternoon. Oh the horror. Grandma scoffed as usual and announced "I would have never let that happen, I'd feel so ashamed. I can't even sleep thinking about how terribly we've raised you!"

I couldn't anymore and I just told her. "I'm sorry for how much your life sucked, but stop trying to push it on others. It makes me so sad to think how much further our society could have been if women were not forced to waste all their time on useless chores. You are a very smart woman, the fact that you've spent all your time cleaning stuff over and over again even though it is clean already just means you've wasted that time, others won't make that mistake if I have a say in it."

Grandma got terribly offended. I know I was being harsh, but I was so so fed up of trying to stop her from seeing my point of view. If she could only just "live and let live", but she just has to push my buttons. Just yesterday I've shared a picture of my daughter getting into my laundry basket with warm clothes from the drier. She does that because it's nice, they're warm and smell nice. But grandma went "At least she will be a proper woman!"

My mom's pissed at me, saying grandma is "an old lady" and that I can't talk to her like that. I know she's old but she's sharp and witty, and I see no reason to not be direct with her. We've had our quarrels before, because we're the two most ram-headed people you'll meet, but we always come on top of it. I love my grandma, but this is really getting on my nerves. Also I know taht she's been terrorising mum with the same stuff since she moved in with her (grandma's health means she can't live alone anymore). She's always on my mum's back about absolutely excessive useless chores and is using them as a reason why she should not see her friends. I know my mum is frustrated about this but she won't day anything because "old lady".

My grandma is otherwise genuinely a nice person. She's funny, smart, she's amazing with my daughter and my daughter loves her. Grandma is genuinely one of her favourite people (like 1. Mum, 2. Dad, 3. Great-grandma), you can just see her light up when we meet and she's don't this since she was a couple weeks old. I don't plan on separating them in any way, but I need my grandma to realise her views are dated and harmful.

ETA: I should add that grandma herself as not a housewife. She had a very stellar career in education (prominent headmaster with awards).

Thank you all for amazing advice. Some of you really made me see new ways of working with this and others have shown me a different view of the situation I would not have thought of. I love my grandma very much, so thank you for all that, I believe it will help our relationship immensely.

Edit 2:

Sooo... you guys made me realise why I'm I'm bothered by this. Why I can't just let her say it and greenock it, why I feel I have to protest, why it gets me so worked up... and I'm kinda overwhelmed over here...

So it all ties to the one person I know who was a housewife, my mother. She was an academic but was forced to throw it all away and to be a housewife by my father's demands and lifestyle. He quickly proceeded to manipulate her, financially abuse her (grandma knows, she had to buy my mum a winter coat because hers fell apart after years of wearing and dad wouldn't give her money to buy another one). My father was physically abusive towards me (not sexually and not to the point of broken bones but enough to get me some serious trauma). And verbally abusive towards my mum. She was trapped, a housewife without any income, whose rich husband gives her pennies to pay for everything. She is not somebody who will stand up for herself, so I tried standing up for her. I remember making her use the childsupport to buy her first new clothes since I could remember, how she cried. I remember her getting back into the workforce after he left us, how hard it was. I remember grandma saying "had you been a better wife, he would have stayed. You were always a messy person!" When she found out about the divorce (She claims she's never said it and I think she felt really bad about it so she chose to forget that, but I know that had hurt my mum deeply). My dad is a serious cheater. I was always terrified of ending up like her, that's why I put so much into my work... I know it looks stupid and obvious but these two things - childhood trauma and grandma's pushing - just never connected in my brain. I'm pretty sure I've suppressed some of it at some point... I'm kinda overwhelmed rn... I'm glad my husband is outside with my daughter (I'm down with the flu) so I can process all this in a bit of peace... thank you all, I hope I'm making a hit of sense...

Because in my brain when she pushes for this, I see my mum. She waited for my dad with a warm dinner. She did everything. Being a housewife was her main priority (after she was pushed into it), she was raised by my grandma after all. And she was so so unhappy.

Ye olde cishet people are fascinating sometimes. Check this poo poo out.

quote:

birdmommy
This doesn’t help you at all, but I’m very curious how she pictures an LGBT household working. Do lesbian couples spend all day cleaning and make each other dinner? Do gay men starve to death, surrounded by filth?

KnittingforHouselves
Op ·
Well for her women are naturally tidy, so that's amazing taht there are two of them. She loves gay men, because from the ones she knows (my friends) they are very organised and tidy too. So because "tidy" is her favourite personality trait, she loves them the more for it.

Amazing. Cishet men? Filthy creatures. Cis gay men? Tidy.

edit lemme spoiler the abuse parts though.

value-brand cereal fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 20, 2021

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

mind the walrus posted:

Oh my you guys are hungry :allears:

"Is he being sexist? Oh god I hope he's being sexist. We should passive-aggressively test him to see if he's being sexist."

Lmao gently caress the both of you.

:hmmyes:

Cripes! Guess I really look like the unstable weirdo now!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

poisonpill posted:

The info sec guy has logged onto relationships

Lmao for real, who gave the assholes who wrote the yearly cyber security course you gotta take for work into the thread

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for arranging for my wife's parents to spend Christmas celebration with us without telling her?

My wife cut off her abusive thieving parents, but I don't believe her when she tells me why. Should I go behind her back to invite them over? Sounds like a great idea!

gently caress people like him forever. Hope she never goes back to someone who respects her so little.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

My dear friend: may I borrow your phone?? mine ran out of juice

Me: no but you may borrow my BLADE BETWIXT YOUR RIBS

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Two types people in this thread; those who are *agast* at letting someone browse through their phone unsupervised for a period of time, and those who are like this fellow.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Serephina posted:

Two types people in this thread; those who are *agast* at letting someone browse through their phone unsupervised for a period of time, and those who are like this fellow.

That was funny until "you already paid," then it was hilarious

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

...assuming you have a job and weren't fired from the last one for sending the company wire transfer information to the CEO when he asked for it in an urgent hurry to complete an important sales transaction and was in such a hurry that he was emailing from his personal address steven.stevenson.theceo@gmail.com.

:hmmyes:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

Oh my you guys are hungry :allears:

"Is he being sexist? Oh god I hope he's being sexist. We should passive-aggressively test him to see if he's being sexist."

Lmao gently caress the both of you.

lol, I saw that too.

Do not respond to them.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I would not expect my 16 year old relative would mine my phone for nudes to distribute to his friends and then harass the nude person, generally speaking. That doesn't seem like a thing you just do when you're a kid. And I don't even like my relatives.

This is absolutely something my idiot shithead cousins would do.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Morally responsible? No. Tactically responsible? Yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Smartphones are basically computers. Are you going to give someone your login details and unsupervised access to your home computer?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just make both my PC and phone so obtuse to use that nobody bothers asking. With enough weird Nova settings and Kustom Wallpapers the entire phone is almost completely unusable to normal people. Good luck finding the app drawer fuckers it's behind a two finger counterclockwise swipe!

I don't know why I do this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YggiDee posted:

I just make both my PC and phone so obtuse to use that nobody bothers asking. With enough weird Nova settings and Kustom Wallpapers the entire phone is almost completely unusable to normal people. Good luck finding the app drawer fuckers it's behind a two finger counterclockwise swipe!

I don't know why I do this

There was an xkcd strip about this, making your computer so bizarrely set up that no one asks to borrow it more than once.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Everyone here who is like “omg it’s his fault for letting a trusted family member use his phone” I’m literally the guy at the company that sometimes writes those cybersecurity newsletters and I want you to know that even I think you’re a dork.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was an xkcd strip about this, making your computer so bizarrely set up that no one asks to borrow it more than once.

Make your entire operating system based on VIM keybinds then you know anyone who doesn’t call you a lunatic is too dangerous to allow anywhere near your computer.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think the point being that I wouldn't trust a 16 y/o to do anything right with a personal belonging of mine. "Don't gently caress up basic interpersonal interactions" is a working goal for most teenagers.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Serephina posted:

I think the point being that I wouldn't trust a 16 y/o to do anything right with a personal belonging of mine. "Don't gently caress up basic interpersonal interactions" is a working goal for most teenagers.

Trusting my sibling to not dig through my phone to find nudes of my SO and letting them make a phone call or do something else with it unlocked is entirely reasonable for most people and the blame 100% on the freak creep kid.

You shouldn’t let anyone have access to your unlocked poo poo but its entirely a normal thing to expect your sibling to not do revenge porn to your SO.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Are you going to pretend you’ve NEVER let someone borrow your phone or shared a password that was maybe a bit too similar to recycled passwords you’ve used ever? Jfc this poo poo is insufferable.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

value-brand cereal posted:

Close friend's wife seemingly hates me, is there a way to salvage our friendship? Posted byu/DaPissTaka

Grandma [F80s] keeps pushing her antique values on me [F20s] I love her but need her to drop this, if only for my daughter's sake. Posted byu/KnittingforHouselves

edit lemme spoiler the abuse parts though.

Not a bad idea, but if that's why you're spoilering, maybe put that up top.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

There’s a large gap in consenting to being raised by a massive fragile bitchmade man child.

I've never quite gotten "bitchmade" as it's used on the forums. After reading the dad's post, yeah, that's bitchmade.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
My (30F) boyfriend (28M) wants to move in but not pay bills...?

quote:

I have been living on my own since 18. My boyfriend has always lived with his parents, they have a large home and it's culturally normal for him (they are immigrants).

We have been together for a little over a year and in the last 6 months or so he has been spending more and more time at my place. The other day I talked to him about potentially moving in together next year/in a few months.

I was surprised by his reaction. One of the things I wanted to iron out was finances, because he is never volunteering to pick up groceries even though he eats my food and drinks my drinks.

He basically said that he doesn't think that he should have to contribute to anything that I currently pay for myself. Since I pay my whole rent myself, he doesn't feel he should subsidize that. And internet too. He said with things like electricity, since it would cost more having him there, he would pay the difference, but we would have to calculate that amount each month, and he wasn't sure exactly how to do that.

Is this normal for a relationship? I feel that we should just be splitting all expenses in half and I don't understand why he is expecting a free ride. He acted like this was a completely normal thing though so I am wondering if I am in the wrong? If I'm right and we should just split living expenses in half then how do I explain that to him without being rude?

tl;dr: Boyfriend wants to move in together but not pay for anything (almost)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

My (30F) boyfriend (28M) wants to move in but not pay bills...?

This guy took his shot and went for the moon. Mad props for almost getting it.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Lot of goons giving off strong "If you don't believe is Jesus, why aren't you out there killing and raping people right now"-vibes.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I will never betray the InfoSec code. I keep a copy on me at all times it’s next to my pocket constitution it’s item 37c in my edc loadout

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
"Give me your ex-husband...... and the wedding dress you wore when you married him!"

AITA for not allowing my ex husband’s girlfriend to wear my wedding dress?

quote:

I (35F) have been divorced from my (41M) husband for 3 years. We have one son(5) together. My ex (we will call him K) started dating another woman (we will call her G). K and I have a great relationship with each other. We still love each other as friends. K started dating G about 10 months ago. G and I have become really great friends and enjoy being around each other. Everything seemed to be going great until the other day. G and K have started talking about marriage. I know K is really hesitant, but G really wants to be married and have children on her own. I guess G saw some old pictures of me in my wedding dress and has been raving about how pretty my dress is. The other day we had coffee together and G brought up getting married soon. I told her how I happy I was for her. Things changed though when she asked if she could wear MY wedding dress. I was really shocked she even asked. I immediately told her that I was flattered, but no. She immediately got extremely pouty and started to ask why. I explained that I just wasn’t comfortable with her wearing my dress to marry my ex husband. She got really upset and started to cause a scene. I walked out knowing that she was not going to calm down. About an hour later my ex husband called asking what happened. When I told him, he completely understood and was on my side, but it didn’t end there. G has been having her friends and family call me and my work calling me an rear end in a top hat for not “sharing”. G is claiming that I’m not over K and that I’m just doing this to ruin her wedding. While it’s true that I’m not over K, part of me just doesn’t feel comfortable having her wear my dress. This whole argument has really put a strain on my ex’s and I’s relationship and the relationship around my son. Part of me feels like I should give in, but I still just don’t feel comfortable with it. So, am I the rear end in a top hat for not letting her wear my dress?

Edit to add- G told her friends and family that I offered for her to use the dress, but then backed out because I was jealous.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
WIBTA if I took my cousins gift back even if she’d be the only one without a gift from me?

quote:

My cousin (21F) is an adult, obviously. And it’s like she just realized she is an adult because now she wants to do everything an adult would do. She got a tattoo, dyed her hair, got a pet duck, goes out drinking on weekends, got her conceal and carry not because she likes guns (she’s extremely liberal) just cause she wanted to try it, she does drugs at parties, has a boyfriend, got a… um… pleasurable object that vibrates/has sex. And she can afford to do all of this.

She graduated high school having took classes at a community college through a school program with an associates degree in steno. She got a job as a court reporter and got a full ride to an online bachelors degree program in politics because she finds it interesting. Additionally, she’s doing a google certificate in data analytics… again because she thinks it’s cool. So between school, working full time, her adult friends, and a boyfriend, she hardly has time for me. I (17F) miss getting together on weekends for stitch n bitch (where we crochet while watching movies together).

I was really looking forward to doing it this weekend and when we were out Christmas shopping she said she couldn’t because it was her boyfriends birthday. When I said I wanted her to spend more time with me, she said she’s sorry but just busy. I did go for guilting her. I said that yeah she has all her friends, but I only have a couple friends and then her. I told her with the way she acts now she’s not a role model to me anymore and said that she spends all this time with her boyfriend but he’s probably just going to end up just hurting her like her past boyfriend did. To the point where she was hospitalized. That was a low blow but I was trying to hurt her a badly as she hurt me. After that, she was quiet the rest of the time we were shopping and since when I text her she doesn’t try to make conversation. I feel bad but she’s like a sister to me and doesn’t want to be around me anymore it seems and that hurts. Anyways with Christmas on Saturday, I usually get her a gift but after this, I want to take what I got her back, but she’s be the only one without a gift from me, but i don’t have to really get her one. WIBTA if I took her gift back?

(Added para breaks)

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Evil Willow posted:

WIBTA if I took my cousins gift back even if she’d be the only one without a gift from me?

(Added para breaks)

:stare:

"you're a monster for growing up and not letting me monopolize your time and your BF is probably gonna beat you to death - wahhh why doesn't my cousin wanna be around me?"

Come the gently caress on. I'd say fake but teenagers do and say the absolute dumbest things and I can clearly see some self-absorbed piece of poo poo pull this

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bucksmash posted:

:stare:

"you're a monster for growing up and not letting me monopolize your time and your BF is probably gonna beat you to death - wahhh why doesn't my cousin wanna be around me?"

Come the gently caress on. I'd say fake but teenagers do and say the absolute dumbest things and I can clearly see some self-absorbed piece of poo poo pull this

Yeah that sounds perfectly plausible to me. It sucks for a kid if you have a slightly older friend or close relative and they move on from highschool without you.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
OP is obviously just a poorly dealing teenager, but I’m split between being delighted at the spoiler and horrified that getting a gun and just totin it about is considered a done thing.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Evil Willow posted:

"Give me your ex-husband...... and the wedding dress you wore when you married him!"

AITA for not allowing my ex husband’s girlfriend to wear my wedding dress?

New girlfriend felt threatened by OP and ex-husband being on good terms and saw her chance to try to sabotage their relationship.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

OP is obviously just a poorly dealing teenager, but I’m split between being delighted at the spoiler and horrified that getting a gun and just totin it about is considered a done thing.

Mate, you ain't even gotta take a class in some states to get your concealed permit

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for not making my uncle a gift this year because of what he said last year?

quote:

My family likes to make homemade stuff for gifts. My grandma grew up poor and gifts she made for her kids were homemade. That’s still something we do today, where most of our gifts are made by us. Of course, if someone wants something specific, someone will buy it. The thing I (16m) make is bracelets. My grandma makes blankets, my mom makes necklaces, and my aunt Morgan (40f) makes custom t-shirts

I am very close with my aunt Morgan, and she helped raise me until I was about 10. I often sleep over at her house to babysit her kids, Eva and Eli (twins, 8m&f) but I make it a point to avoid her husband, my uncle Dylan (48m) because I don’t get along very well with him, and we don’t have any sort of bond.

Last Christmas I, as usual, made bracelets for everyone. This was Dylan's first Christmas with my grandmas (he usually spends it at his moms with his family without Morgan and the twins) and I made him a gold & silver bracelet with the coils twisting around each other. All my money last christmas was babysitting money, and I worked extra to be able to give Dylan something I thought he’d like.

Well I give it to him and he thinks it's a joke. When I explain Im 100% serious he says he doesn’t wear “gay poo poo like this.” Im gay, and he knows this, I’ve been out for 3 years. He told me to get a watch next year. Well, I didn’t get him anything this year.

We did Christmas early this year (today, the 19th) because my other uncle Ben has to leave the states for his job a few days before christmas.

I also got a job this year and was able to afford Morgan a ring similar to one she bought on her 18th birthday but had lost a few years ago on a vacation (I knew it wouldn’t replace her old ring, but I thought she’d be happy to have one similar) . I had been saving up slowly for 3 years now, my new job really helping.

Anyways we gave out gifts and I delivered Morgan's gift last because she was sitting farthest from the tree. I give it to her, it's a bracelet with a ladybug charm, and the ring. She cried happy tears when she saw the ring, so I think it was a success :)

My uncle Dylan then asked where his watch was. I said I didn’t get him one because he insulted my gift last year. He sulked and ranted to my uncle Ben about it (I make Ben a pretty simple bracelet when he visits, per his request) and Ben called him a ‘dickless ingrate’ because of what Dylan said last year. Dylan sulked the rest of the night and my very sweet grandma suggested I make him a simple bracelet or give him a cheap watch next year, which I’ll probably do. I’m just upset that Dylan thought he was entitled to a watch from me after a rude comment last year, but I do feel bad for leaving him out.

AITA for not giving my uncle a gift this year?

edit: tysm for the kind words and petty gift suggestions, i’ll be talking with him about it on the 27th, with morgan by my side, I’ll probably post an update then! Yall have been so sweet i cant

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
Girlfriend dresses up her dildo

quote:

This is gonna be a bit weird. I have been dating this girl for about 6months. We will call her Jenna. Jenna and I get along really well and everything has gone smoothly…except for professor Todd. That’s the name of her dildo. She doesn’t use it but rather has it as some sort of action figure. This toy has googly eyes on it that she glued on to it and a scaly cap made from felt. When she first introduced me to it I laughed it off and thought it was some sort of art project. As time went on it was clear that Todd was a big part of her life. When I’d watch TV or eat dinner she would jiggle Todd around and give him a voice. She’d say things like “look into my eye and tell me what you are thinking” and “how’s my posture?” The thing is she just never puts it down. She Walks around the house holding it and talks like she’s a ventriloquist. She’s even showed me a shoe box that read “Todd’s wardrobe” inside was a bunch of homemade outfits. recently it was super cold in her apartment and she asked “can you please get me a blanket?” When I got up to give it to her she said “it’s for Todd oh my god look how bad he’s shaking” she was doing that jiggle thing to it and then put a blanket over it. I was completely flabbergasted. I really like her but I can’t do this anymore. How do I ask her to put the drat thing away? I don’t want to hurt her feelings

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

welcome to hell posted:

Girlfriend dresses up her dildo
why give the girlfriend a fake name if you're not going to use it for the rest of the post

also this has some timothy vibes

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Pomme de Terror posted:

My uncle Dylan then asked where his watch was. I said I didn’t get him one because he insulted my gift last year. He sulked and ranted to my uncle Ben about it (I make Ben a pretty simple bracelet when he visits, per his request) and Ben called him a ‘dickless ingrate’

lmaooooo

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Grape posted:

lmaooooo

Hummm...... this gift vending machine is broken! It's almost like it has feelings!

But no,

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Blaming the folks who got their pictures stolen without consent that they deserve it is the new 'look how she was dressed'. The rear end in a top hat is always the thief, as they made a conscious choice to take and distribute the photos, not the person who was having a little fun being human and risque.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

why give the girlfriend a fake name if you're not going to use it for the rest of the post

also this has some timothy vibes

And then they just straight up doxxed Professor Todd...