Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just the ova or does it pull from the series?

My understanding is literally everything since its basically a greatest hits of story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

So I finished the 20th anniversary documentary thing on the Xbox youtube channel today and its.... actually decent? Surprised how much time was spent on the RROD and Xbox One launch failures

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Double Fine is once again splitting into sub teams to make a wider variety of more experimental titles, which, awesome but could one of those pretty please be Psychonauts 3?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m hoping MS get a bit involved with double fine, their project management seems to be absolutely woeful

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really want to like state of decay 2 but it’s loving impenetrable and will just send you on bullshit missions that will get you slaughtered with no warning.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

State of Decay is one of those games that sounds like something I would enjoy a lot but every time I try, I'm not really enjoying myself much. Too bad!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I enjoyed State of Decay 2 so much that I ended up getting the first one and 100%ing it and its DLC. But even I recognize that's it's not something that the majority of people are going to enjoy. It's also a game has been significantly improved by updates, to the point I can't get excited about the idea of playing the upcoming third game in its first year of release. And its a Xbox Game Studio game, so you can assume it'll be day 1 on Game Pass.

Getting absolutely murdered by the game is new to me though (well outside the hardest difficulty levels). Maybe you are in a Left 4 Dead/Back 4 Blood mindset where you have to shoot at every zombie in your way? Because that's a mistake in State of Decay. Gunshots just attract more zombies, so if you start shooting you'd better have an exit plan (usually a nearby car in working order). Or weapons with silencers. Or crossbows. Or become a ninja who is just sneaking and stabbing everywhere. The early game in SoD requires you to be really slow.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 20, 2021

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
State of Decay 2 is great but you do need a good grasp of it's systems to have a good time with it. It can be hard and it's likely you'll lose some people and the randomness can gently caress you over. Your squad is usually pretty weaker than expected in gear and skills, and it can take more patience than people want to give it when you're sneaking around and slowly looting.

There are a lot of great dynamic events that come from it, I revisited it this year after falling off the vanilla release and had a blast.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Anyone played Max Payne 3 on the series x yet? Tempted to buy it, but the digital version is still expensive.

Laserface posted:

I pulled mine apart and gave it a bit of a gentle cleaning and it resolved my issues with the paddles feeling mushy/unresponsive.

I've got a series 1 at the moment, and it definitely feels mushy. I'm leaning towards give this a clean and wait for the series 3

Crafty fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 20, 2021

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Are Xbox controllers just a little bit lovely in general? I got a series X a week ago and the included controller doesn't really register the A button if I approach it from the base (thumb pad resting on the body, thumb tip on the button) but seems to work fine if I rest my thumb across all the face buttons and hit A with the pad. It still clicks in just the same but just doesn't liaise with the console. I was more than prepared to drop some dumb money on an Elite but they seem just as problematic.

Any chance the 20th anniversary one will be any better? It's a little surprising to see any form of build quality issues with how over-engineered the consoles themselves are this time.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I don’t think so - the one I got with mine has been great and I haven’t felt the need to replace it. No issues at all or anything like you describe. Maybe I’m complacent though

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I've had issues with the D-pad on my controller since around I got it. The left pad doesn't register unless I press down in an exact way. I feel the Y button also doesn't always register. Thankfully these aren't used that much in gameplay.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Barudak posted:

Double Fine is once again splitting into sub teams to make a wider variety of more experimental titles, which, awesome but could one of those pretty please be Psychonauts 3?

I think you mean...

Burtal Legend 2.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

iron brigade 2 imo

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Gym Leader Barack posted:

Are Xbox controllers just a little bit lovely in general? I got a series X a week ago and the included controller doesn't really register the A button if I approach it from the base (thumb pad resting on the body, thumb tip on the button) but seems to work fine if I rest my thumb across all the face buttons and hit A with the pad. It still clicks in just the same but just doesn't liaise with the console. I was more than prepared to drop some dumb money on an Elite but they seem just as problematic.

Any chance the 20th anniversary one will be any better? It's a little surprising to see any form of build quality issues with how over-engineered the consoles themselves are this time.

There’s a rash of defective controllers where A and Y don’t register correctly, per a podcast I listened to last week (probably the Giant Bombcast).

If you complain to customer support they will probably fix it for you.

I had a lot of problems with early Xbox One controllers’ sticks not having a smooth rotation but both of my Series controllers work just fine.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

MikeRabsitch posted:

State of Decay 2 is great but you do need a good grasp of it's systems to have a good time with it. It can be hard and it's likely you'll lose some people and the randomness can gently caress you over. Your squad is usually pretty weaker than expected in gear and skills, and it can take more patience than people want to give it when you're sneaking around and slowly looting.

There are a lot of great dynamic events that come from it, I revisited it this year after falling off the vanilla release and had a blast.

The base game, Heartland DLC and Homecoming DLC are pretty easy I found on default difficulty. I managed to get 100% achievements on all three without losing one survivor (well except on one occasion for an achievement). Probably helps I played the first game though so was familiar with the gameplay.

The Dread/Nightmare modes are what can really kick your rear end though.

Also it was never really mentioned, but the game runs at 60fps on Series consoles.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

SpicyPete posted:

So I finished the 20th anniversary documentary thing on the Xbox youtube channel today and its.... actually decent? Surprised how much time was spent on the RROD and Xbox One launch failures

I'm on the RROD episode, it's a really great series and they don't pull their punches. And Larry Herb is ageless.

Also, hey all you cool British cats and kittens, Xbox Series X currently in stock with Amazon UK at £449.99:

Xbox Series X https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08H93GKNJ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_18TWDAPHM8KSYGGQ3YMH

Jesus, already gone.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 20, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The paddle design on my Scuf feels a lot sturdier and less obtrusive than my elite I controller. I don’t find myself hitting it accidentally like I did with the elite. I’d say it’s probably worth considering over the Elite II. Plus it has the capture button on it.

I think when I finally splash on an expensive controller again (I have a Elite v1 that has horrible left stick drift) it’ll likely be the Scuf. I found one of the Power A brand controllers with back paddles NIB at a Goodwill for $25 a couple of weeks ago so I’ve been playing with that since. Downsides are it’s corded and the paddles are still taking some getting used to. I only run with one pair and so far have only played FH5 with it.

The corded part isn’t too horrible because I wanted something I could plug into my computer when I want to stream from that room and was having a hard time paying full retail for another controller.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

iron brigade 2 imo

Here's the right answer. It would be the perfect Gamepass game.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Mind Scanners seems neat aesthetically and conceptually and yet it is kind of both overwhelming and underwhelming at once.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Unpacked is hella chill and only a few hours investment at most. You should check it out!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I'm finally trying the Halo campaigns for once in my life. The first level of the first game is kind of samey and windy though. But it is nice to just shoot poo poo without too many mechanics tacked on.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Zurtilik posted:

The first level of the first game is kind of samey and windy though.

Stick with the game and remind yourself that you made this post. It'll be amusing, trust me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

I enjoyed State of Decay 2 so much that I ended up getting the first one and 100%ing it and its DLC. But even I recognize that's it's not something that the majority of people are going to enjoy. It's also a game has been significantly improved by updates, to the point I can't get excited about the idea of playing the upcoming third game in its first year of release. And its a Xbox Game Studio game, so you can assume it'll be day 1 on Game Pass.

Getting absolutely murdered by the game is new to me though (well outside the hardest difficulty levels). Maybe you are in a Left 4 Dead/Back 4 Blood mindset where you have to shoot at every zombie in your way? Because that's a mistake in State of Decay. Gunshots just attract more zombies, so if you start shooting you'd better have an exit plan (usually a nearby car in working order). Or weapons with silencers. Or crossbows. Or become a ninja who is just sneaking and stabbing everywhere. The early game in SoD requires you to be really slow.

It gave me a mission deep in the plague heart area just to like, survey some house and got absolutely mobbed by specials that also blew my car up miles away from home. It actually panned out to be pretty fun because my two best guys were down to a sliver of heath and infected with blood plague and managed to find a new car, get out of there and save them. But it was weird the game even gave me a mission that hard.

I’ve also got the zombie difficulty ramped up with resources on Normal.

Tbh I like the game quite a bit. I even played the first one a lot but just the amount to systems and mental checklists and things hidden in menus is pretty overwhelming.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zurtilik posted:

Unpacked is hella chill and only a few hours investment at most. You should check it out!

I think I'm the only person in the world who found this game frustrating lol

I wanted to see where the story goes! But I have so little fun actually playing it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Crafty posted:

Anyone played Max Payne 3 on the series x yet? Tempted to buy it, but the digital version is still expensive.
I have, and unfortunately it's still locked at 30fps :( But it's still nice to have one of my favorite games of the last decade on my platform of choice!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Soundtrack in that game is unreal.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I actually was enjoying The Gunk as a pallette cleanser from FPSes while clearing Halo FOBs. I got to chapter 4 and I think I've hit a gamebreaking bug. I pull all the levers they want and the bridge I need to go on is still broken. Uninstall/reinstall didn't fix and there's no 'replay chapter' option. Oh well, that was a *fine* couple hours.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Zurtilik posted:

I'm finally trying the Halo campaigns for once in my life. The first level of the first game is kind of samey and windy though. But it is nice to just shoot poo poo without too many mechanics tacked on.

It's me, the goon who binged Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST and Reach within the space of a week.

Halo 1 really hasn't aged well in terms of level design and I found it a bit of a slog to complete. Halo 2 is a big step up in this regard, and Halo 3 is delicious. ODST was a middling entry in some ways, but Reach is excellent.

I have a question about Hitman. I have Hitman 3 on disc, and it allowed me to play Hitman 1. At the end cinematic for that game, it showed me levels for Hitman 2. I exited to the main menu and it's not letting me play Hitman 2 levels, instead expecting me to pay £55 for the access pack.

The gently caress did I do?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I have a question about Hitman. I have Hitman 3 on disc, and it allowed me to play Hitman 1. At the end cinematic for that game, it showed me levels for Hitman 2. I exited to the main menu and it's not letting me play Hitman 2 levels, instead expecting me to pay £55 for the access pack.

The gently caress did I do?

Did you already own Hitman 1 before you bought 3? The levels from the first 2 games are available as paid DLC for Hitman 3, but you can get them free if you already bought the corresponding game.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Gym Leader Barack posted:

I think so, I bought a brand new Xbox/Windows controller a couple months back and the right trigger has a definite "click" feel at about 95% extension (fine for a lot of games but a pain in the arse when you're playing Forza). Thankfully it hasn't started sticking yet. The face buttons and Dpad are extremely clacky as well, like I'm playing an early 90s arcade cabinet or something.

CBD Corndog posted:

Yeah I just finished this last night as well and quite enjoyed it. Though it got pretty salesy towards the end which was a bit annoying. Spending time on their failures doesn't surprise me, mainly because they can use it as an opportunity to say "look we made mistakes, we hosed up, we'll never make mistakes again please keep buying our stuff!". Interesting to see the various perspectives on it though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

acksplode posted:

Did you already own Hitman 1 before you bought 3? The levels from the first 2 games are available as paid DLC for Hitman 3, but you can get them free if you already bought the corresponding game.

No, 3 is the first I've owned. I was able to play all of Hitman 1 from 3, and it looked like I was going to be able to play 2 until I went to the main menu. I thought 3 allowed you to play 1 and 2 for "free"?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

No, 3 is the first I've owned. I was able to play all of Hitman 1 from 3, and it looked like I was going to be able to play 2 until I went to the main menu. I thought 3 allowed you to play 1 and 2 for "free"?

The levels from the earlier games are paid DLC unless you already own them and go through an import process. Maybe you lucked out and got the Hitman 1 levels free in a promotion or something? But it's definitely expected that if you don't have Hitman 2 then you'll have to buy the Hitman 2 levels in Hitman 3. https://www.ign.com/wikis/hitman-3/How_to_Get_Hitman_1_And_2_in_Hitman_3

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Zurtilik posted:

Last time I moved I got so stressed I got shingles.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Are the graphics on the Series S a big upgrade from Xbox One? I’m thinking about getting one for my nephew. He plays on a 1080 TV. Thanks, friends.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

Are the graphics on the Series S a big upgrade from Xbox One? I’m thinking about getting one for my nephew. He plays on a 1080 TV. Thanks, friends.

Yesc but more pressingly 60fps and blazing fast loading that you cannot go back from once you taste it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the load time difference in no man's sky between xbox one vs series s is absolute fuckin madness

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Mierenneuker posted:

Stick with the game and remind yourself that you made this post. It'll be amusing, trust me.

Did the 2nd level and yeah. Total 180 In a lot of ways. Sometimes I find turning off the remaster graphics at parts actually helps. Lol. It seems real finicky about where it wants you to be for certain objectives and I found myself having to walk around to find some random group of people here and there.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Brrrmph posted:

Depends, does he have Xbox One or Xbox One X? Series S is technically weaker than XOX so in that case I'd wait til the XSX is more available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Are the HDMI color range settings bugged on the Series X?

My monitor will auto detect what color range I'm feeding it and adjust itself between limited (16-235) and full (0-255) mode instantly on both PS5 and PC, but on here the monitor stays in full mode whether I set the Xbox to "Standard" or "PC RGB". As a result, the supposedly correct "PC RGB" setting has crushed blacks and "Standard" looks perfect instead of washed out. :goofy:

Not a huge deal if you try the same game on both consoles (Hunt: Showdown is tons of fun) and notice the problem, but I'm betting a whole lot of people have hosed up settings as a result.