Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The gently caress? I’ve just read two pages of quite good posts about Christmas dinner, but not one has mentioned devils on horseback (dates wrapped in bacon and roasted). The single best food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jakabite posted:

The gently caress? I’ve just read two pages of quite good posts about Christmas dinner, but not one has mentioned devils on horseback (dates wrapped in bacon and roasted). The single best food.

And angels on horseback too, where you swap the dates for oysters!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The sausage and chestnut stuffing is the most important part of the dinner imo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

Standard stuffing is just that, it's substitute sausagemeat made of breadcrumbs and dry herbs. If you use it as a fibreboard canvas for butter/olive spread and fresh herbs and some crushed chili then you can get some great results.

There was some homemade stuffing chat last month too, but I haven't tried that yet.

I manage to love stuffing in all forms. A packet of Paxo on its own, proper home made, 99% sausage meat - it's all amazing and I could easily have a plate of just that.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

95% reunification but the loyalists somehow get Dál Riata as an independent kingdom would be the level of competence I expect.

I can't see the Hebrides liking the DUP either. lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

This is the kind of left twittersphere nonsense I generally try to avoid posting here or anywhere, but what the gently caress. What the gently caress is this. The yanks must pay.

https://twitter.com/moltopopulare/status/1472887447063130113

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nicola Murray was never PM, there was an election between series 3 and 4 (or 4 and 5, they're very inconsistent in how they count series) which not-Brown lost, and she became leader of the opposition before being knifed by Dan Miller.

Ayya, that's right. Our timeline is clearly much bigger a joke

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

And angels on horseback too, where you swap the dates for oysters!

Oh gently caress are you joking or is this real? Cos if it’s real I’m doing that this year, my stepmum and me love oysters

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

peanut- posted:

I can’t tell how much this Liz Truss thing is a joke. Could she actually end up as PM?

She's exactly as much of a joke option as Theresa May was

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jakabite posted:

Oh gently caress are you joking or is this real? Cos if it’s real I’m doing that this year, my stepmum and me love oysters

Absolutely real, and delicious. It's even in the first James Bond book.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We regret to inform you that the oysters are racist.

stev posted:

I manage to love stuffing in all forms. A packet of Paxo on its own, proper home made, 99% sausage meat - it's all amazing and I could easily have a plate of just that.
Paxo is fine. Paxo with a teaspoon of olive spread, a pinch of garlic salt, some black pepper, and either fresh rosemary or crushed chili pepper depending on what it's going with is :discourse:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/mrdavidwhitley/status/1472879502107758594

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

today I learned that you can self certify off work without a doctors note for 28(!) days.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Cato_of_Utica/status/1472721244017549312

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

dear boss, i am a zombie now, lots of love cillian murphy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Appreciate the sentiment but this goes in the Bad Tweets pile for getting me momentarily excited.

Needs more judicious use of the past participle (possibly? )

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 20, 2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

josh04 posted:

This is the kind of left twittersphere nonsense I generally try to avoid posting here or anywhere, but what the gently caress. What the gently caress is this. The yanks must pay.

https://twitter.com/moltopopulare/status/1472887447063130113

This took me quite a bit of research just to work out what this was even about. For the benefit of anyone who needs it: these two are a pair of extremely pretentious girls who have an ostensibly leftist podcast called Red Scare, which has become notorious since they’ve galaxy brained themselves into becoming chummy with Alex Jones (of Infowars, not The One Show). The blonde one with the Russian name is also the girl Greg gets with in the most recent season of Succession.

They are making an extremely bad-sounding horror movie that also involves Jeffery Epstein somehow, and gave an interview to Vice about it. In that, they worry about possibly getting blacklisted in the UK as they go hard on the royals, which would be bad as they feel an affinity with Manchester, leading to the exchange above. Also, presumably due to this exchange (?) to promote the article they did a photoshoot where they recreate a famous (again ?, I was a teenager into Britpop at the time and don’t remember it) football game involving a bunch of Britpop people in the 90s, with the two girls as Damon Albarn and Liam Gallagher.

Here’s that interview, if anyone cares: https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkpgwv/dasha-nekrasova-and-madeline-quinn-on-their-epstein-inspired-horror-film . I found this out, and so now you must know it.

By the way, in In The Thick Of It, Nicola Murray was meant to represent Ed Milliband and Dan Miller was meant to be David Milliband. So Armando was predicting that Ed would soon get knifed and David would return and take his place. Uncanny prediction skills.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

The blonde one with the Russian name is also the girl Greg gets with in the most recent season of Succession.

Huh that I did not know, glad my RS exposure has been extremely limited. But this probably explains why I got "this person is deeply annoying" vibes off the character, in which case the Succession casting directors continue to nail it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Clarence
May 3, 2012

What this country needs are some quiet bat people.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Huh that I did not know, glad my RS exposure has been extremely limited. But this probably explains why I got "this person is deeply annoying" vibes off the character, in which case the Succession casting directors continue to nail it.
She was also the original voice of Klaasje in Disco Elysium (where put in the best performance of the game).

Anyway, I think shes really pretty and I can change her.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think if 2019-2021 has proven one thing, it's that bat/people interactions can gently caress off.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 20, 2021

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Actually I wonder if turkey and goose are the big Christmas meats just because they're much bigger birds and it's easier to cook one big one than two or three chickens?

Close. Turkey wasn't a Thing until the Victorians, when one decent sized turkey would feed a middle-class family (husband, wife, children - not the servant(s)).

kecske posted:

today I learned that you can self certify off work without a doctors note for 28(!) days.

That's a recent thing because doctors don't have time to see patients who are ill any more. Businesses are predictably up in arms that all their staff will immediately skive off for a month and live it up on statutory sick pay.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/TVsCarlKinsella/status/1472907953414025223?t=JCqPZdR3ABJ_S__YimTenw&s=19

TIBFABdePJ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think if 2019-2021 has proven one thing, it's that bat/people interactions can gently caress off.

It's the quiet batpeople that are the worst, ugh

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Lady Demelza posted:

Close. Turkey wasn't a Thing until the Victorians, when one decent sized turkey would feed a middle-class family (husband, wife, children - not the servant(s)).

That's a recent thing because doctors don't have time to see patients who are ill any more. Businesses are predictably up in arms that all their staff will immediately skive off for a month and live it up on statutory sick pay.

Here's a new one, universal credit claimants who pass the new style ESA element don't need fit notes, or at least that's what it said on the letter but you can be drat sure I'm calling them to check.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

By the way, in In The Thick Of It, Nicola Murray was meant to represent Ed Milliband and Dan Miller was meant to be David Milliband. So Armando was predicting that Ed would soon get knifed and David would return and take his place. Uncanny prediction skills.

Murray was a melange of several New Labour figures - about 50% Yvette Cooper with dashes of Jacqui Smith, Charles Clarke, and Ruth Kelly. Don't forget she was rushed in as a character because of Chris Langham's noncing conviction, long before anyone had even heard of The Good Milliband.

The funny thing is that Miller effectively predicted Bad Milliband quite so well because he was originally just a one-shot "smarmy careerist" character in the first series when Bad Milliband was still an obscure junior minister[1], and it turns out if you write a character to be completely one-dimensional you get David Milliband.

[1] Although spookily, while he was at the Cabinet Office when they wrote the first series, by the time it was filmed he'd moved to the Office Of The Deputy Prime Minister, the nearest real department to DoSA, as a junior minister with responsibilities for, among other things, housing - and guess what Dan Miller's role at DoSA was?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

He's still alive you oval office.

Wtf how is he still alive?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's the quiet batpeople that are the worst, ugh

This post makes Cassandra Cain said.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Comrade Fakename posted:

This took me quite a bit of research just to work out what this was even about. For the benefit of anyone who needs it: these two are a pair of extremely pretentious girls who have an ostensibly leftist podcast called Red Scare, which has become notorious since they’ve galaxy brained themselves into becoming chummy with Alex Jones (of Infowars, not The One Show). The blonde one with the Russian name is also the girl Greg gets with in the most recent season of Succession.

There's buckets of deeply worthless red scare twitter lore to get into (or avoid) but I just wanted to put across the basic irritation of two new york podcasters dressing up in city shirts and saying they deeply feel the "Mancunian Ethos" of The Smiths.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lady Demelza posted:

One decent sized goose will eat a middle-class family (husband, wife, children - not the servant(s)).

keep punching joe posted:

He's still alive you oval office.

Wtf how is he still alive?
The obvious reasons that evil preserves its own on earth.

Hopefully Boric will destroy the Chilean relics powering him.

e: ^^ It's still better than that oval office Morrissey claiming he feels the ethos of The Smiths

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Murray was a melange of several New Labour figures - about 50% Yvette Cooper with dashes of Jacqui Smith, Charles Clarke, and Ruth Kelly. Don't forget she was rushed in as a character because of Chris Langham's noncing conviction, long before anyone had even heard of The Good Milliband.

The funny thing is that Miller effectively predicted Bad Milliband quite so well because he was originally just a one-shot "smarmy careerist" character in the first series when Bad Milliband was still an obscure junior minister[1], and it turns out if you write a character to be completely one-dimensional you get David Milliband.

[1] Although spookily, while he was at the Cabinet Office when they wrote the first series, by the time it was filmed he'd moved to the Office Of The Deputy Prime Minister, the nearest real department to DoSA, as a junior minister with responsibilities for, among other things, housing - and guess what Dan Miller's role at DoSA was?

Yeah, but the season where Nicola becomes the hapless leader of the party was immediately after the ascension of Ed (Edscension?), so it was clearly an allusion to Ed’s leadership.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

Also, presumably due to this exchange (?) to promote the article they did a photoshoot where they recreate a famous (again ?, I was a teenager into Britpop at the time and don’t remember it) football game involving a bunch of Britpop people in the 90s, with the two girls as Damon Albarn and Liam Gallagher.

I remember it; it was quite famous at the time not just for them "facing off" but because it was one of the first public reappearances of Robbie Williams after he left Take That, and was trying to move away from the boy band image to a Britpop one:
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/oasis-v-blur-gallagher-albarn-football-match-1996-britpop-derby/

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Late to Christmas dinner chat but I made these sprouts yesterday (bought myself a set of skillets a while back & still playing around with them, they are amazing & everyone should get them). They were good. Possibly better than my usual approach of frying them with a bunch of cream & mustard & lardons.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There’s a Jerusalem fartichoke shortage? We were just talking about getting some.

If you eat them with potatoes they aren’t quite as flatulating.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

therattle posted:

If you eat them with potatoes they aren’t quite as flatulating.

What's the loving point then?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Testro posted:

I remember it; it was quite famous at the time not just for them "facing off" but because it was one of the first public reappearances of Robbie Williams after he left Take That, and was trying to move away from the boy band image to a Britpop one:
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/oasis-v-blur-gallagher-albarn-football-match-1996-britpop-derby/
Robbie Williams is an odd one, he did an interview on Adam Buxton's podcast a year or two back, and it was weird - he was talking with that "I have destroyed my brain with long term, careless drug use" speed and making a lot of allusions to his poor mental health as a result of the papers' treatment of a dumb kid who was given way too much money and power with zero guidance. And then buckles spends the rest of the interview gradually going harder and harder on joking about how poo poo he was, even to the point of eventually playing him a parody of Rudebox, which Williams again just sounds like he's being as polite as possible about it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/IamHappyToast/status/1472846139745517570

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Borrovan posted:

Late to Christmas dinner chat but I made these sprouts yesterday (bought myself a set of skillets a while back & still playing around with them, they are amazing & everyone should get them). They were good. Possibly better than my usual approach of frying them with a bunch of cream & mustard & lardons.

these look very good OP

my family does a thing called "sprout surprise", the surprise is that they are delicious. I do not know where the name or idea came from. it's basically diced sprouts fried with garlic, ginger and soy sauce. sounds weird for a Christmas dinner but it works superbly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Re this, the woman in the pic posted this.

https://twitter.com/PatsyeStevenson/status/1471535700659089419?s=20

I don't know to what she refers here. Something must have passed me by.