Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

There's a spectrum of authoritarianism, and different levels in different fields, and different ways of enforcing it. China is among the more open with it in most areas and can reasonably be said to be "more" authoritarian, or at the very least more openly so, than a lot of other places in for example the western world.

Is this kind of nitpicking really productive to you?

“Authoritarianism” isn’t a useful concept for analyzing countries. In its modern form it’s just a perjorative term applied to enemies of the United States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

fondly remembering an hour ago when peng shuai herself discussing the semantics of the word forced in her original post was dismissed as rape apologism

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

This is well written and should no joke be in the CSPAM rules or something

So you agree that a celebrity who talks openly about their affairs with important politicians, including potential accusations of rape, will reasonably modulate what they say for fear of government reprisal? Seems like you're agreeing with me here?

Unless you're saying "you see this happens everywhere!... EXCEPT China" lol

im saying literally everything a celebrity says is calculated for their public image and they do this regardless of whether government officials involved

like are you under the impression that weinstein got away with raping women for so long because he was the king of california

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Red and Black posted:

“Authoritarianism” isn’t a useful concept for analyzing countries. In its modern form it’s just a perjorative term applied to enemies of the United States

I agree it lacks nuance and has pejorative connotations, but don't know if there's a better term for it per se, which is why I went out of my way to say:

LimburgLimbo posted:

If your retort is "you're just saying China is authoritarian!" well, yes, I am and it is. I'm also not using authoritarian as a pejorative because it's a valid method of organizing civilizations et al. but there's good and bad parts to it.

You're right that it's hard to discuss without laying down mutual understanding of the involved terms which is more effort than anyone here wants to put in, thus we get to the truth that:

dead gay comedy forums posted:

it is far more beneficial to all involved to simply go on and just try to put some sick burns through shitposts than trying to build some profound contextualized analysis that is impossible to satisfy any rhetorical point made by the dominant western discourse against china. at least we can then entertain ourselves

LimburgLimbo has issued a correction as of 06:44 on Dec 20, 2021

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

im saying literally everything a celebrity says is calculated for their public image and they do this regardless of whether government officials involved

"this situation would be exactly the same even if it didn't involve an extremely connected Chinese politician" is quite the take lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

do you think if peng shuai was hosed by some gross elderly dude running a corporation that sponsors her she would be any more excited to tell us the details of her sex life

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The use of the word "authoritarian" doesn't have to have a pejorative intent in order to be meaningless tripe.

What nation-state does not exercise its authority?

And, having named one, what does that matter in regards to censorship and silencing of dissent, given that a non-interventionist state (which is a ridiculous oxymoron on its face) will instead have private interests exercising their authority in turn?

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
you're not as smart as you think you are liberallimbo. it's genuinely painful reading your dumbass takes on something you very clearly have made your mind up on and nothing can convince you of the Chinese not being inherently deceitful and not to be trusted.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

thatfatkid posted:

you're not as smart as you think you are liberallimbo. it's genuinely painful reading your dumbass takes on something you very clearly have made your mind up on and nothing can convince you of the Chinese not being inherently deceitful and not to be trusted.

the last time that moron stunk this thread about was defending this insanely lovely and racist article from the nyt about china nefariously having an olympics program, like any other country

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3838460&pagenumber=840&perpage=40#post516576413

there's nothing to be gained by allowing this rear end in a top hat here lol, its not informative or interesting or engaging in any way.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
His first post in the thread is about Chinese neocolonialism in Africa, he has a probe defending cops shooting 13 year olds

you guys let two dumbos with wild hosed up rap sheets tut tut you about international affairs, what would president xi say

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

skipmyseashells posted:

His first post in the thread is about Chinese neocolonialism in Africa, he has a probe defending cops shooting 13 year olds

you guys let two dumbos with wild hosed up rap sheets tut tut you about international affairs, what would president xi say

that there is absolutely nowhere on the western internet, not even in loving cspam where you can actually learn anything useful as an outsider about china that's not filtered through racist expats or derailed to uselessness by people arguing about the same lies over and over.

so much for the intolerant left

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Red and Black posted:

I really hate how my entire orthodontics course in my authoritarian state without insurance is cheaper than a $3420 1-inch stitch job in non-authoritarian america

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

mila kunis posted:

that there is absolutely nowhere on the western internet, not even in loving cspam where you can actually learn anything useful as an outsider about china that's not filtered through racist expats or derailed to uselessness by people arguing about the same lies over and over.

so much for the intolerant left

The only way to actually be reasonably informed about China is to learn Mandarin and leave the English-speaking Internet behind forever.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://asia.nikkei.com/Editor-s-Picks/China-up-close/Analysis-Xi-plays-with-dynamite-reviving-Bo-Xilai-s-housing-policy

Analysis: Xi plays with dynamite reviving Bo Xilai's housing policy
President struggles to find economic model that makes 'common prosperity' work

From a political standpoint, the most noteworthy aspect of Xi promoting affordable housing is that the concept is quite similar to the "red" economic policies undertaken by his rival Bo Xilai around 2010 as Chongqing's top official.

[...]

Official media reports said in 2010 that Chongqing would build 40 million sq. meters of public rental homes to resolve a housing shortage that low- and middle-income earners were up against. That accounted for around 30% of the population living in the old city area.

Under Chongqing's affordable rental housing policy, a low-income family of three earning 1,000 yuan ($157) a month could live comfortably in a unit with a kitchen and two rooms, paying around $15 or so in monthly rent, excluding electricity and water bills.

Chongqing's situation 10 years ago is somewhat similar to China's overall situation today. Premier Li Keqiang revealed last year that there were as many as 600 million low- and middle-income people earning an average of around 1,000 yuan a month in the country.

The recent trial introduction of a property tax, spearheaded by Xi, was also implemented in Chongqing by Bo a decade ago.

[...]

The new housing policy will pressure major private sector property developers to change their policies as well.

The highly profitable business of developing and selling regular condominiums will inevitably have to be scaled back. Developers will have to either diversify into other business areas or break into the affordable rental housing market.

[...]

A slowdown in the Chinese economy has been clear since this past summer. It is a "policy-induced slump" triggered by Xi's efforts to achieve common prosperity.

A decline in housing prices has spread, giving local governments no choice but to restrict the scale of new home discounts.

it'd be cool if they manage to successfully get capital to stop chasing returns in real estate and go somewhere productive.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1472699699555561474

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There was over a hundred new posts and I wondered what the gently caress happened. Finding out brought me no joy or satisfaction.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lmao @ China just casually triumphing over a real estate market crisis ten times the size of 08 and no one in the west even appreciating it. Naw, the important thing is a loving tennis player, not whether or not millions have a home tonight.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

mila kunis posted:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Editor-s-Picks/China-up-close/Analysis-Xi-plays-with-dynamite-reviving-Bo-Xilai-s-housing-policy

Analysis: Xi plays with dynamite reviving Bo Xilai's housing policy
President struggles to find economic model that makes 'common prosperity' work

From a political standpoint, the most noteworthy aspect of Xi promoting affordable housing is that the concept is quite similar to the "red" economic policies undertaken by his rival Bo Xilai around 2010 as Chongqing's top official.

[...]

Official media reports said in 2010 that Chongqing would build 40 million sq. meters of public rental homes to resolve a housing shortage that low- and middle-income earners were up against. That accounted for around 30% of the population living in the old city area.

Under Chongqing's affordable rental housing policy, a low-income family of three earning 1,000 yuan ($157) a month could live comfortably in a unit with a kitchen and two rooms, paying around $15 or so in monthly rent, excluding electricity and water bills.

Chongqing's situation 10 years ago is somewhat similar to China's overall situation today. Premier Li Keqiang revealed last year that there were as many as 600 million low- and middle-income people earning an average of around 1,000 yuan a month in the country.

The recent trial introduction of a property tax, spearheaded by Xi, was also implemented in Chongqing by Bo a decade ago.

[...]

The new housing policy will pressure major private sector property developers to change their policies as well.

The highly profitable business of developing and selling regular condominiums will inevitably have to be scaled back. Developers will have to either diversify into other business areas or break into the affordable rental housing market.

[...]

A slowdown in the Chinese economy has been clear since this past summer. It is a "policy-induced slump" triggered by Xi's efforts to achieve common prosperity.

A decline in housing prices has spread, giving local governments no choice but to restrict the scale of new home discounts.

it'd be cool if they manage to successfully get capital to stop chasing returns in real estate and go somewhere productive.

Just a little bit jealous of a govt actually building housing and providing assistance to renters.

I wish Australia was even just a little bit "authoritarian" like China. Please chairman Xi my country yearns for authoritarianism.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Lmao @ China just casually triumphing over a real estate market crisis ten times the size of 08 and no one in the west even appreciating it. Naw, the important thing is a loving tennis player, not whether or not millions have a home tonight.

both of those stories kind of disappeared over the last couple of weeks i think its been more ughyur stuff lately

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

mila kunis posted:

scandinavian social democracies maybe? but they're not most of the world, just a small part of it.

Not even. In Iceland some PMs were.recorded being super.gross in a bar, outright corruption, calling women colleagues unfuckable, etc, the disabled woman recording them in public was dragged through the courts and media wringer and forced to delete her recording.

The supreme court also dragged four young protesters through day long trials and fined and gave jail time for protesting basic human rights issues.

Iceland at least is very authoritarian.

Oh and our liberals who will decry china didn't even know these events happened and when pointed out will hand wave away as unimportant. I'm sure to no one's surprise.

poopinmymouth has issued a correction as of 09:45 on Dec 20, 2021

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWdfRRtAs3o

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

paperwind posted:

Lol there is nothing Peng could say of her own volition that won't be immediately discounted as her being forced to say because she lives in an evil regime that brutally represses expression.

Would it please the libs if Peng defected and then said exactly the same things she has been? Could we then be absolutely certain she isn't being coerced by the evil CCP?

You know they'd say she only says those things because the CCP threatens her family still in China or something.

Like that's the thing about this whole story, nothing Peng or anyone else involved says or does is ever going to change the minds of those who are convinced that the Chinese government is a brutal authoritarian regime which will stop at nothing to protect its own. I can't even imagine what evidence might possibly persuade people in that mindset.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

It's a Brave New 1984 and we're the betas.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Orange Devil posted:

You know they'd say she only says those things because the CCP threatens her family still in China or something.

Like that's the thing about this whole story, nothing Peng or anyone else involved says or does is ever going to change the minds of those who are convinced that the Chinese government is a brutal authoritarian regime which will stop at nothing to protect its own. I can't even imagine what evidence might possibly persuade people in that mindset.

pretty much. even if she moved to the US and kept insisting it was no big deal, the same idiots would be making bullshit up about the nefarious CCP keeping family back in China hostage

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Like I’ve said time and time again, China is clearly authoritarian enough to coerce her into altering her story like this. In fact, I think it’s likely there’s some coercion there. But is that really so bad?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

that pharoh moron in the d&d thread is comparing schools in tibet, where they teach kids the tibetan language, to the residential schools in the US/Canada
i suppose the only way to be sure these aren't res. schools is to have no schools in tibet, and xinjang as well
actually, make schooling allowed only in regions with a han majority

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
China should fully annex the theocracy of Tibet and free its oppressed people.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Doctor Jeep posted:

that pharoh moron in the d&d thread is comparing schools in tibet, where they teach kids the tibetan language, to the residential schools in the US/Canada
i suppose the only way to be sure these aren't res. schools is to have no schools in tibet, and xinjang as well
actually, make schooling allowed only in regions with a han majority

lol one tibetan said he couldn't see his parents for a year. news story has a photo of students in a classroom with tibetan script on the blackboard

CULTURAL GENOCIDE.

free mirello

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mantis42 posted:

performative wokeness of the western lib

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
at least theres one thing cspam and dnd can agree on - rape apologism

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
shut the gently caress up

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

My Weegur genocide-denying rear end resents any comparison to D&D. Apologize for this slander.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
fine people on both sides

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's a Brave New 1984 and we're the betas.

Wolf Warrior ABO

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh my god lmao hatsune miku fans are barrelling in now

tell me more of your opinions :allears:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Lmao you have to be an absolute rube to fall for propaganda outlets emphasizing the Peng story. Just a completely unserious imperial sycophant

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

is it only the agency of oriental women you ignore or all women?

please tell us more

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/vijayprashad/status/1471967968506658816

just king poo poo lmao

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Lmao you have to be an absolute rube to fall for propaganda outlets emphasizing the Peng story. Just a completely unserious imperial sycophant

but did you heard kim jong-un killed his citizens who watched a blatantly anti-capitalist netflix show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Palladium posted:

but did you heard kim jong-un killed his citizens who watched a blatantly anti-capitalist netflix show

i mean they also banned laughter and smiling, right? that's a real thing that happened