Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Adapters are cool too, I have a few rolling around in a drawer for making stuff work. But yeah in this case a one piece cable is preferred.

So you're cool. :v:

Ordering some Anker stuff since that name gets flung around the most.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to have an iPad enter a focus mode when it does Sidecar? I thought it would be easy to just set an app trigger but of course Sidecar isn't technically an app.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anker stuff is really good, I like their little 20W AC to usb-c power adapters a lot as well.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

xzzy posted:

Anyone got a favorite cable brand for a nice usb-c to usb-a? I have some no-name one I got off Amazon a long ways back and it doesn't clip properly into my ipad's port, allowing it to fall out if I look at it wrong.

Anker and Cable Matters both make some nice USB-IF certified A-C cables.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

Anyone got a favorite cable brand for a nice usb-c to usb-a? I have some no-name one I got off Amazon a long ways back and it doesn't clip properly into my ipad's port, allowing it to fall out if I look at it wrong.

I only buy Cable Matters cables now. In my old SSD testing lab everything was either StarTec or Cable Matters and it never failed and always stayed within spec.

If you want a very high quality cable but that's thicker than most cables for $10
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-USB-IF-Certified-Black/dp/B06XMY49BM/

Slim version 3 for $14
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-USB-C-Black-Feet/dp/B00S8GU544/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FCKGW posted:

I only buy Cable Matters cables now. In my old SSD testing lab everything was either StarTec or Cable Matters and it never failed and always stayed within spec.

If you want a very high quality cable but that's thicker than most cables for $10
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-USB-IF-Certified-Black/dp/B06XMY49BM/

Slim version 3 for $14
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-USB-C-Black-Feet/dp/B00S8GU544/

what would you recommend for about 6ft long, power is all that matters (and not fast charging at that)? I just bought two amazon basics cables and they've been fine, but I'm curious if they're bad even for that. (I buy long cables to allow me to charge my pad while I'm using it in bed in most any position.)

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

I don’t know if this is a known thing, or weird behavior but I suspect it’s a nice touch from Apple. If I go to weather.com in Safari I end up in “TURN OFF YOUR ADBLOCK” pop up hell, but if I tap on the weather widget the site opens, adblocker enabled and fully functional in Safari.

I would assume it’s part of their deal for weather data and honestly beats the iOS weather app.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
What wireless mouse would the thread recommend for use with my iPad Pro in conjunction with the logitech combo touch case? Would prefer it to be as small and light as possible for desktop use yet be fabric friendly for occasional use in bed / sofas / on knees etc.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 15, 2021

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

What are my best Adblock options? I’m willing to pay money if necessary, up to around $5.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/crystal-adblock-block-unwanted-ads/id1022177308

served me well since it was released

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

If you watch much YouTube Vinegar is an extension instead of a content blocker, for IIRC 1.99. It replaces the lovely embedded YouTube player with the default iOS player which gives your quality/size/PIp options back. I’ve deleted the app and just use the website now. It’s a little more janky with YouTube TV but it works well enough.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Wipr is fine.

I recommend just doing something like NextDNS or even trying changing your DNS servers to Adguard.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MrOnBicycle posted:

What wireless mouse would the thread recommend for use with my iPad Pro in conjunction with the logitech combo touch case? Would prefer it to be as small and light as possible for desktop use yet be fabric friendly for occasional use in bed / sofas / on knees etc.

Logitech M337 is BT and has a laser sensor (not plain optical.)

I also appreciate that it takes AA not AAA and it is small and light but not ridiculously small and light.

Scroll wheel is not the best but that probably doesn't matter much for iPad use.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

~Coxy posted:

Logitech M337 is BT and has a laser sensor (not plain optical.)

I also appreciate that it takes AA not AAA and it is small and light but not ridiculously small and light.

Scroll wheel is not the best but that probably doesn't matter much for iPad use.

Looks good. Didn’t even think about the optical vs laser side of things. What about the Magic Mouse 2? I see people selling them pretty much brand new for about pretty cheap.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My daughter has an IPad with Verizon cellular plan on it. I knew that it would not be able to make phone calls but I thought that it would be able to send non-iMessage texts. However, when she tries to send her grandma a message, it has the contact name in red (instead of green or blue) and the send button is not active.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My daughter has an IPad with Verizon cellular plan on it. I knew that it would not be able to make phone calls but I thought that it would be able to send non-iMessage texts. However, when she tries to send her grandma a message, it has the contact name in red (instead of green or blue) and the send button is not active.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Check screen time settings? Maybe grams isn’t one of the approved contacts if you have that set up for your daughter.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I believe having a cellular data plan for an iPad will not allow you to send/receive SMS. SMS is phone-only and requires a phone at some level (either on its own or your iPad paired to a phone).

You could set her up with a Google Voice account, since those can send SMS over the internet via Google Voice app on the iPad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah text is a “phone feature” because cell carriers are nothing if not backwards and stuck in their ways.

Regardless of the fact that having a cellular data plan assigns you a cell number behind the scenes anyway, you’re not allowed to use it for “reasons”

Get a google voice account and throw 20 bucks on it and text that way.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah text is a “phone feature” because cell carriers are nothing if not backwards and stuck in their ways.

Regardless of the fact that having a cellular data plan assigns you a cell number behind the scenes anyway, you’re not allowed to use it for “reasons”

I feel like it was possible to use the cellphone number for texting and calling on the ipad 2 but maybe I’m misremembering. I was sad I couldn’t text with my Work iPad and instead have to use god awful Ring central

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
It's a shame that I can't use messages on my iPad to reply to stuff my wife is texting me because she's got an android phone...

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I'd just use a messaging app like telegram or iMessage.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

MrOnBicycle posted:

It's a shame that I can't use messages on my iPad to reply to stuff my wife is texting me because she's got an android phone...

Sure you can, I do it all the time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rafikki posted:

:boom:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

rafikki posted:

Hmm ok, I'll have to try it again. Just bounces back as unable to deliver, and I don't get her messages neither even if the phone connected icon is showing up.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

Hmm ok, I'll have to try it again. Just bounces back as unable to deliver, and I don't get her messages neither even if the phone connected icon is showing up.

You need to have it setup correctly on your iphone as well. For the continuity poo poo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I assumed they were implying they text your wife all the time

I’ll show myself out

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You need to have it setup correctly on your iphone as well. For the continuity poo poo

Oh yeah found it now! Thanks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Why 20 bucks? I've texted with my Google Voice account and never had to spend money. It's technically my "work number" and I receive all my automated alerts and communicate with coworkers with it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, yeah, I forgot you only need to pay for outgoing calls. Never mind then

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I feel like it was possible to use the cellphone number for texting and calling on the ipad 2 but maybe I’m misremembering. I was sad I couldn’t text with my Work iPad and instead have to use god awful Ring central

You probably jailbroke it at the time and sideloaded the dialer and the sms apps.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I’ve had a gv number for near 13 years and have barely used it but it always gets incoming texts no problem

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, yeah, I forgot you only need to pay for outgoing calls. Never mind then

I have used GV to make out going calls on my phone without paying for it (I use it for contacting parents since I am a teacher). Does paying for it change between iPhones and iPads?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Never spent a cent but remembered the balance it starts out with, I thought it was just for international calls (and texts?). Maybe there's some different level of free features grandfathered in too for all I know.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I had to go look it up.

If you have Voice for Google Workplaces (i.e. through Work or School), then it's a per user cost on a monthly basis.

If you use Google Voice with your personal account, it's free for the country you're in it looks like (I'm in the US and the chart shows US calls as $0.00). You can have the call on your "computing device" or have it hand off to your mobile device after you initiate the call.

There's no restrictions on SMS that I can see. Not sure if it will handle MMS, as I've never had occasion to use it on my GV account. (a quick search indicates that it doesn't work)

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Are there apps to read PDFs like regular eBooks? I have some TTRPG reference books on PDF that I'd like to use, but the google drive interface is kinda garbo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The built in books app?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

anothergod posted:

Are there apps to read PDFs like regular eBooks? I have some TTRPG reference books on PDF that I'd like to use, but the google drive interface is kinda garbo

I use kybook 3 for both PDF and epub e-books.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I like tiReader for pdf/epub/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

anothergod posted:

iBooks works perfectly for this.