Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I see a manager went to a CI/CD conference one time and now needs to use all the buzz words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

what in the spaghetti orchestration hell

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
we're writing custom build server integrations in gitlab to avoid having to go to a paid tier just for mandatory approvals in pull request, but people are no longer sure whether to press the approval button, the like button or comment with a key phrase, so now every pull request is literally "like, comment and subscribe" to get it merged

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Penny wise pound foolish is always fun to see in company decisions.

Xarn fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 20, 2021

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

ChickenWing posted:

what in the spaghetti orchestration hell

Every time I've encountered the word 'Microservices' and 'Docker' together I immediately get depressed because you know this poo poo is going to be loving Chaos. In theory good, in practice extremely upsetting.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Ape Fist posted:

Every time I've encountered the word 'Microservices' and 'Docker' together I immediately get depressed because you know this poo poo is going to be loving Chaos. In theory good, in practice extremely upsetting.

no no you just have to add 'Kubernetes' on top of it :eng101:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I barely understand containerization and Docker these days. Still no idea what Kubernetes does.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
The one-size-fits-all non tech onboarding is usual not a great sign (is the half hour lecture from Gary from Finance going to be of any value to you? Probably not).

The technical stuff just sounds like a bunch of silly stuff you could fix with a working knowledge of Docker Compose or Kubernetes etc. due to the person setting this all up just stopping at "it works kinda!"

Whether or not anyone would care or be happy if you spent time on it and fixed it is a different story.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

I barely understand containerization and Docker these days. Still no idea what Kubernetes does.

Containers are a way of making a "tiny VM" that contains just your application and the stuff needed to run it. No guest OS. Result: Small image sizes, quick to start up and shut down.

Docker is just a platform that provides an implementation of the container standard. There are others. Docker's biggest asset is its container registry with lots of pre-built base images and applications. "Docker" as a company is very likely going to fail in the next few years. "Docker" as a "xerox" or "kleenex" style term for "container building platform" will probably survive.

So now you have a bunch of containers. You want to run them. Running a container is easy. Running 10 containers? Less easy. Running 10 containers and being able to manage resiliency (running them across multiple machines in case a machine explodes), scaling (we need more copies of this container!), and healthiness (this container is broken!) is basically impossible.

That's what Kubernetes does. It's a container orchestration platform so you can tell Kubernetes "please manage a bunch of networked nodes that can run containers for me, and provide a scheduler that can automatically distribute my containers across those nodes and ensure they're running and healthy". There's a lot more nuance to it but that's the 5 paragraph version.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

You've given me a lot of questions to ask next time I interview somewhere. This sounds like a nightmare.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Containers are a way of making a "tiny VM" that contains just your application and the stuff needed to run it. No guest OS. Result: Small image sizes, quick to start up and shut down.

Docker is just a platform that provides an implementation of the container standard. There are others. Docker's biggest asset is its container registry with lots of pre-built base images and applications. "Docker" as a company is very likely going to fail in the next few years. "Docker" as a "xerox" or "kleenex" style term for "container building platform" will probably survive.

So now you have a bunch of containers. You want to run them. Running a container is easy. Running 10 containers? Less easy. Running 10 containers and being able to manage resiliency (running them across multiple machines in case a machine explodes), scaling (we need more copies of this container!), and healthiness (this container is broken!) is basically impossible.

That's what Kubernetes does. It's a container orchestration platform so you can tell Kubernetes "please manage a bunch of networked nodes that can run containers for me, and provide a scheduler that can automatically distribute my containers across those nodes and ensure they're running and healthy". There's a lot more nuance to it but that's the 5 paragraph version.

terrible kubernetes explanation, you didn't even try to use a terrible metaphor to explain what a pod is

(this is good and I will be using it next time someone asks about any of these things)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Not being real plugged into this, but why is Docker probably going to fail in the next 3 years as a company?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
A zillion companies use docker (the technology) and basically nobody pays Docker (the company).

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Less Fat Luke posted:

A zillion companies use docker (the technology) and basically nobody pays Docker (the company).

Got it.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

thotsky posted:

we're writing custom build server integrations in gitlab to avoid having to go to a paid tier just for mandatory approvals in pull request
so...how much money was already spent on this so far?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Client has gone live with a new customer facing system today, a few days before Christmas, but there we go. Already getting the tickets like “Make a report” and “This file done upload” with nothing else.

Has the uncomfortable conversation with them that sums up to “You didn’t pay us for post go live support, please refer to the training docs you signed off on, Merry Christmas”.

I am expecting a new post support statement of work to be signed off at a higher rate due to having to pull people off of other projects to support them at short notice to be signed any minute now.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Ape Fist posted:

The theory is almost always bad too but nobody takes the time to think about it hard enough to realize.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Ice Fist posted:

Not being real plugged into this, but why is Docker probably going to fail in the next 3 years as a company?

This article https://www.infoworld.com/article/3632142/how-docker-broke-in-half.html and the hacker news comments are an informative read.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Should have added my opinion on micro services in my last post. Anyway, as stated it sounds great in theory but my experience is that you just end up with a bunch of smaller monoliths that now depend on each other and will cause weird and hard to reproduce production problems because people have hacked with configs in production that never make it back to dev and qa.

It doesn’t matter if you write a single large application or a bunch of microservices it comes down to being disciplined at planning and documenting how different parts will interact, but that is the first thing to be cut when a project is behind or over budget.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
i love my big dumb back-end monolith. i just wish it was written in typescript and not Rails.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
It was sort of impressive how fast Docker went from a billion-dollar unicorn to "oops they don't have a viable monetization strategy".

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Ape Fist posted:

This is chaos. This is pure loving chaos. This company is absolute loving nonsense.
But is the money good?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Less Fat Luke posted:

And the technology is just an implementation of an open standard that is also implemented in OSS tools. Podman has an identical CLI to docker, will build dockerfiles, and generates images that will run in Docker.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

And the technology is just an implementation of an open standard that is also implemented in OSS tools. Podman has an identical CLI to docker, will build dockerfiles, and generates images that will run in Docker.

Yeah at this point I think they're mostly just relying on Docker Desktop being easier to use than trying to deal with podman/cri-o from windows/mac, and dockerhub

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I imagine a lot of their investment pitches were just pointing at Red Hat and going "look! See? They make money from open source!"

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Armauk posted:

But is the money good?

70k euro is pretty good in Germany, it's upper end for an Angular developer.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah at this point I think they're mostly just relying on Docker Desktop being easier to use than trying to deal with podman/cri-o from windows/mac, and dockerhub

Also just inertia since a lot of companies are just going to pay to license it for their devs now that it has license costs.

Curious how many companies just blow past that Jan 31 deadline, actually. Or the devs get an email saying “stop using docker ASAP” on Feb 1.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ChickenWing posted:

So when the Docker client stops being free for companies it's all aboard podman

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I expect more people than you think will pay for docker desktop

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

champagne posting posted:

So when the Docker client stops being free for companies it's all aboard podman

alias docker="sudo podman"

Honestly I'm taking the CKAD course and they literally recommend you do that in the labs

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

kitten emergency posted:

It is what $5/m per seat which is pretty much a rounding error for most companies dec ops teams budget.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

alias docker="sudo podman"

Honestly I'm taking the CKAD course and they literally recommend you do that in the labs

Question: why would you run podman as root, under sudo? I've been playing with it on my own machine and i never had to do that. It's very happy to run under my own user.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

BigPaddy posted:

It is what $5/m per seat which is pretty much a rounding error for most companies dec ops teams budget.

Something like that, yeah. I think it also gives you some level of support/guarantees around comparability. also windows client is a big deal in a lot of places.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Volguus posted:

Question: why would you run podman as root, under sudo? I've been playing with it on my own machine and i never had to do that. It's very happy to run under my own user.

Honestly I'm pretty sure it's not that, i just remember having to use sudo for a bunch of podman stuff and the alias having two parts. I'm much too lazy to look up exactly what it was

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This is violence

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

kitten emergency posted:

BigPaddy posted:

Oh absolutely developers won’t have to care about the price

But getting the bean counters to approve it will take six months for reasons

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was $21 per month per user for docker client; the $5 was for the user access to dockerhub

Edit: $21 is for sso; $5 is for personal plan.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 21, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s pretty weird that a free tool basically has no vetting at most companies, but once you pay $5, now the vendor has to arrest they are secure and have a disaster recovery plan and you need to check out competitors and do an analysis and on and on.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
This also applies to libraries, sure you can have a node dependency hell or log4j as long as it's free it can cause no problems right !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Around ten years ago, the company I worked for required every single dependency to go through their standard software onboarding process. Mostly Java stuff at the time. It worked okay but it did not scale well to npm style dependency trees and struggled a lot even with something like Spring Boot.