Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for not making my uncle a gift this year because of what he said last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my fiance he committed theft by gifting his nephew the gift I bought for my sick brother?

quote:

My F30 brother M16 was born with a heart condition that prevented him from living his childhood to the fullest and doing his favorite activities. He can't do most things due to his condition and the side affects his medication have on him.

My parents have always struggled with money because of medical bills and unfortunately they can not afford to buy my brother nice things for example he always wanted a console to play with. He only gets to play when my uncle and cousins bisits and bring their console. My brother has been feeling sad and lonely recently after his doctors recommended that visits be limited. I decided to use my salary to get him his own console and wait til Christmas to give it to him. I bought an xbox and has been sitting in my close til I discovered that my fiance took it and sent it to his nephew who lives states away. I was in dismay I confronted him about it asking why he took the xbox knowing it was supposed to be a gift for my brother and he said he knew but explained his sister's single mom and couldn't buy any gifts for her son nor are they recieving gifts from family since they're all ignoring her after giving her money so the think they've done enough. He told me he felt sorry for his nephew and wanted to cheer him up but didn't have money so he thought that he could send him the xbox then we'll fingure out what I'm going to gift my brother together. I told him he had no right to touch the xbox and said that what he did was theft which made him upset and somewhat shocked. He said he was very hurt I essentially called him a thief when he thought that I cared about our nephew as much and he does and explained my brother does not need the xbox since he can't find time to play due to his condition and also not finding playmates also due to his condition. I told him my brother is still capable and he was making it seem as if he wasn't but he argued he didn't mean it this way, just that he was hurt I called his good deed "theft" but I stood by what I said and demanded he either pay for the xbox or pay me but he acted more hurt calling me callous and mean to take a gift from a child like that but I said I didn't gift his nephew this device and so it is not my problem.

He gave me complete silence and then went to stay at a hotel for 3 days saying I was being unfair to him and hurt him deeply. The problem still stands and he is counting on me to let it go and see that he was just helping his sister and nephew out. aita?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Evil Willow posted:

WIBTA if I took my cousins gift back even if she’d be the only one without a gift from me?

(Added para breaks)

Lmao what even does OP think the cousin did to her?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ah, the ol' "you're not allowed to be upset that I wronged you, because that implies I am a wrongdoer which is upsetting to me, the person whose feelings matter." Sometimes I wonder how that kind of zero-effort manipulation persists into adulthood; do these dudes just go through life hunting for people who have never had a model for appropriate boundaries, like that thermal vision scene from Predator?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my fiance he committed theft by gifting his nephew the gift I bought for my sick brother?

I got nothing to say here except congrats on escaping a horrific divorce for only 500 dollars

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Ah, the ol' "you're not allowed to be upset that I wronged you, because that implies I am a wrongdoer which is upsetting to me, the person whose feelings matter." Sometimes I wonder how that kind of zero-effort manipulation persists into adulthood; do these dudes just go through life hunting for people who have never had a model for appropriate boundaries, like that thermal vision scene from Predator?

Maybe borderline personality disorder.

Yeah that’s the vibes I’m getting.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
he absolutely did some poo poo with that xbox like give it to a friend or sold it, he did not send it to his nephew. he's doing that classic 'double-down so intensely it makes the person start to doubt themselves' thing that liars rely on to keep the grift going.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They become conservatives OP.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yeah, he straight up sold the Xbox or something. For a start, if he was “so sure she’d be ok with it” then why not involve her from the start - why be sketch and steal it.

And if not, how’s he not for the money to buy an Xbox but can apparently just take himself off to a hotel because he stole from his fiancée and she’s right

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for recording instead of reminding my wife when a bird was eating her toast?

quote:

I have a rather light-hearted story to share. We had a laugh and got over it but my wife insisted I was deliberately being an rear end.

My wife recently got addicted to a game called Cookie Run and had been on her tablet whenever she could.

The children were at their grandparents for the weekend. We woke up to a fine weather on Saturday and I made toasts for both of us. My wife was as usual, busy on her tablet that she did not touch her toast at all even after I have finished with it.

After I came back from washing the plates I saw that a bird had flown in and was on the table looking hungrily at my wife's toast. My wife was still on her tablet and was clueless when the bird carefully approached her plate and started eating at her toast.

I quickly whipped out my phone and recorded this precious moment of the bird pecking at the toast while my wife was still drinking coffee and playing on her tablet in an arm's length, completely oblivious to its demise.

It lasted for around a whole minute when the bird decided it had enough and flew off. It was only then that I ended the recording and reminded my wife what had just happened. She didn't believe it until I showed her the video and we both laughed, but she still called me an rear end for recording instead of reminding her. I discarded the remains of the poor toast and made her a new one.

We shared the video with the children later on and my wife complained to them(in a light hearted way) how I deliberately let it happen. In my defense, it was her own responsibility to protect her breakfast from the predatory birds, and she cannot blame me for not recording this moment that we can laugh at for years to come. So, AITA?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

spending all the money he got selling the xbox on a hotel room because she dared call him a thief for stealing.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Blaming the folks who got their pictures stolen without consent that they deserve it is the new 'look how she was dressed'. The rear end in a top hat is always the thief, as they made a conscious choice to take and distribute the photos, not the person who was having a little fun being human and risque.

The thief is always 100% the rear end in a top hat.

That doesn't mean people can't take precautions to protect themselves. I was a victim of a mugging once. I walked down the street at like 7:30 at night, with my entire wallet, which contained all my cards, and my phone. I wanted to get one candy bar. Anyways three dudes surrounded me and the middle one put a knife on my belly and they took my stuff. It took weeks to get my cards back (since I'm gringo and do all my banking in the US, but don't live in the US). It really sucked to have no access to accounts for like two weeks. From that I learned I don't go walking after dark in this area, and that I should always leave at least one or two cards at home, I don't need all of them in my wallet at once. I was not at fault for getting mugged. I wasn't even at fault for having all my cards on me at once. But, I learned it's not safe to do that because assholes exist.

I would never save nudes of myself or anyone else on my phone. If I did happen to have those or other private info on my phone, I would not give another person unsupervised access to my phone. Even someone I trusted, since they might see something I wanted to keep private 100% accidentally.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for recording instead of reminding my wife when a bird was eating her toast?

drat that lady might benefit from some no-screen time

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

This abusive poo poo-show of a relationship is irreparable. :sever:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

The thief is always 100% the rear end in a top hat.

That doesn't mean people can't take precautions to protect themselves. I was a victim of a mugging once. I walked down the street at like 7:30 at night, with my entire wallet, which contained all my cards, and my phone. I wanted to get one candy bar. Anyways three dudes surrounded me and the middle one put a knife on my belly and they took my stuff. It took weeks to get my cards back (since I'm gringo and do all my banking in the US, but don't live in the US). It really sucked to have no access to accounts for like two weeks. From that I learned I don't go walking after dark in this area, and that I should always leave at least one or two cards at home, I don't need all of them in my wallet at once. I was not at fault for getting mugged. I wasn't even at fault for having all my cards on me at once. But, I learned it's not safe to do that because assholes exist.

I would never save nudes of myself or anyone else on my phone. If I did happen to have those or other private info on my phone, I would not give another person unsupervised access to my phone. Even someone I trusted, since they might see something I wanted to keep private 100% accidentally.

So... you deserved to be robbed is what youre saying?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The girl who sent nudes in that story isn't the rear end in a top hat. It's easy for us old web 1.0 farts to say "just don't send nudes lol" but it's a normal thing now whether we agree with it or not.

The OP is the rear end in a top hat for giving a sixteen year old boy, who for all intents and purposes is a walking hormone, access to a device with nudes on it. Of course he's going to look for titties, that's what sixteen year old boys do.

The boy himself is also an rear end in a top hat (above the usual standard of assholery) because stealing nudes is creepy but trading them to your buddy so he can harass the person in them is downright Reddity.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

The girl who sent nudes in that story isn't the rear end in a top hat. It's easy for us old web 1.0 farts to say "just don't send nudes lol" but it's a normal thing now whether we agree with it or not.

The OP is the rear end in a top hat for giving a sixteen year old boy, who for all intents and purposes is a walking hormone, access to a device with nudes on it. Of course he's going to look for titties, that's what sixteen year old boys do.

The boy himself is also an rear end in a top hat (above the usual standard of assholery) because stealing nudes is creepy but trading them to your buddy so he can harass the person in them is downright Reddity.

OP is a dumbass, but not the rear end in a top hat. Perv bro seriously betrayed his trust.

Kid needs to have his college fund raided to pay compensation. Mainly to GF but a little to older brother. Maybe he gets to keep 50% if he flips on his friends and hands over incriminating evidence to be given to their parents/GF/the authorities. But loses the whole thing if he won't play ball.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

please don't send nudes

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Nudes are so normal now that opinion has flipped and you're the weirdos for stigmatizing people for taking or sending them. Only boomers chuckle that the best way to prevent it is just not to take them. Yes it's technically true, but what a boring, ascetic life that is and it's just not in line with how people act anymore. The etiquette has shifted - sexting and nudes are just a normal part of dating for a lot of folks nowadays.

Trying to compare someone distributing those nude photos of you without consent to a mugging is :psyduck: Any example you're gonna try to give to that act vs. petty theft is just gonna tell on you

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 20, 2021

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Yea, what an rear end in a top hat for trusting your brother that you had every reason to trust previous to this.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Brother is an rear end in a top hat, op is an idiot

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nudes are so normal now that opinion has flipped and you're the weirdos for stigmatizing people for taking or sending them. Only boomers chuckle that the best way to prevent it is just not to take them. Yes it's technically true, but what a boring, ascetic life that is and it's just not in line with how people act anymore. The etiquette has shifted - sexting and nudes are just a normal part of dating for a lot of folks nowadays.

Hard agree.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I assume a good number of you used to be 16 year old boys. I did too and there is a 0% chance I ever would have stolen nudes out of someone's phone to send to my friends. Wtf?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'll cop to being old enough that I just don't understand sending nudes. Like, I don't think I'd suddenly forget what my girlfriend's boobs look like. I would not want nudes sent to me, it just seems like a big risk. What if I lose my phone? What if you send nudes to someone who is nice and trustworthy then they change? Like we have cars and stuff if you want to see each other naked you can go do so in person. I simply don't see how the risk/reward on this stuff makes any sense.

Trying to compare someone distributing those nude photos of you without consent to a mugging is :psyduck: Any example you're gonna try to give to that act vs. petty theft is just gonna tell on you

Why? In both cases you're victimized. What's wrong with the comparison? I'm genuinely curious why 1 crime against your person is completely incomparable to another crime against your person.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

Why? In both cases you're victimized. What's wrong with the comparison? I'm genuinely curious why 1 crime against your person is completely incomparable to another crime against your person.

lmao

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I assume a good number of you used to be 16 year old boys. I did too and there is a 0% chance I ever would have stolen nudes out of someone's phone to send to my friends. Wtf?

I assume all 16 year old boys are Reddit poisoned to one extent or another. I don't know any though as I'm an old, so maybe I'm viewing them through the lens of this thread and making harsh judgements

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The 16 year old is the only rear end in a top hat in that story and i feel terrible for the gf. Those leaked nudes are never going away.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
When i was 18 a girl at my school stripped and someone took pictures, 10+ years later those pictures popped up again from a russian site, that poo poo doesnt go away.

Shame the 16 year old som hard he cant look at a titty again for years.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'll cop to being old enough that I just don't understand sending nudes. Like, I don't think I'd suddenly forget what my girlfriend's boobs look like. I would not want nudes sent to me, it just seems like a big risk. What if I lose my phone? What if you send nudes to someone who is nice and trustworthy then they change? Like we have cars and stuff if you want to see each other naked you can go do so in person. I simply don't see how the risk/reward on this stuff makes any sense.

sometimes you literally can't hop in the car and go see each other naked

sometimes it's exciting to secretly do something naughty when it's unexpected or even inappropriate to do so

also visualization abilities vary throughout the population and some people literally can't picture what boobs look like if they're not looking at them

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Hey! This watch is made out of steel wool and cardboard! And the time only reads "kiss my gay rear end"!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This is America so the girl whose pics were leaked will get charged as a sex offender or delinquency of a minor because the rear end in a top hat was 16.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Same. Anyone suggesting otherwise is at best diving headfirst into a bag of "Boys will be boys" enabling bullshit, or at worst uh well...

Hellblazer187 posted:

Tell me you've never experienced even the slightest degree of sexual harassment or objectification, without telling me you've never experienced even the slightest degree of sexual harassment or objectification.

Grape fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 20, 2021

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Hellblazer187 posted:

Man, the only difference between some goons and a redditor is :10bux:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Hellblazer187 posted:

One's a theft of objects, the other is an impasse upon a body sexually. It's a violation of a sexual boundary, and it shouldn't be hard to understand why comparing sexual assaults to thefts doesn't work, and just continues the narrative that women's bodies are objects one can give and trade. This is why I brought up the 'look at what she was wearing' example - because it's supposed to make it clear that theft of an object and sexual assault are in vastly different categories and the same social rules don't apply.

A purse left by itself easily disappears. But everyone understands that a woman passed-out drunk is a no-go unless you're a sexual predator.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I agree with you vis a vis objects but getting mugged at knifepoint is really loving traumatic. It's not just the loss of whatever was in my pocket (although that was a pain in the rear end). Like the guy on the left took my phone, but didn't tell the guy in the middle, and he kept screaming at me for my phone and I thought he was going to kill me over a lovely phone his accomplice already took.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
friend no one is saying getting mugged isn't traumatic, but it's different than having your body impugned upon sexually and trying to compare traumas in this manner never works out well. how about you just admit you made a bad comparison and move on. the point is there's clearly different social mores around the treatment of objects vs the treatment of bodies that informs these things and makes them different types of impasse.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 20, 2021

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

how about you just admit you made a bad comparison and move on.

Cause you all laughed at me and now I feel bad and want to post through it so I can "win."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hellblazer187 posted:

lmao

why even date people at all? if i want to look at a boob i can google "boobs"

being in a relationship with another person seems like a risk? what if they dump me? what if they make fun of my penis to their friends? porn will only make fun of my penis if i want it to, porn is safe

i simply don't see how the risk/reward on this stuff makes any sense

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

being in a relationship with another person seems like a risk?

I think I might literally be at this point in my life. Like I'm pretty much ready to not be in a relationship ever again if I can get out of the one I'm in right now. So maybe I'm just brain broken, I'm sorry to have posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gettin sanctimonious about sending pics of my wiener